Photo

Vague errors when installing

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Setharnas

Setharnas
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:48 PM

Oh, come on Miloch, please not you too... Don't throw around the bad "V"-word when there're people around who might believe that. That MOVE command may be bad (w/e is meant by "* MOVE tp2 action added. Don't use." - don't you just love cryptic remarks of that kind...), but really, how likely is a vi... thing in there?

Another suggestion to try is setting the process priority of the whole process tree involved with the BWS and its batches to "idle" (I suggest getting Process Explorer for that, as it lists processes in a tree view, just like the directories in windows explorer). That way, if some other process stalls (like antivirus software being too possessive), the weidu process will most likely be put to sleep by the windows scheduler untill the file in question is unlocked again. (With a pc that was bought second hand in 2005, I have to do stuff like that all the time. Still, I can run Oblivion with 230+ mods active [OB has a hardwired limit of 2^8 = 256 active modules] at around 20 FPS, which is definitely playable for an Athlon XP 3000. O/c I'd love to buy a spiffy new Core i7, but I really need my money elsewhere.)

Really, with the exception of a living brain, there's nothing nearly as complex as a modern computer on the planet. With that kind of complexity though, it's really more of a miracle if, for once, everything actually works without going up in flames.

#22 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

w/e is meant by "* MOVE tp2 action added. Don't use." - don't you just love cryptic remarks of that kind...

Check the documentation. "Do not use" in WeiDU terminology doesn't mean that a command is useless or doesn't work as advertised, but that it's potentially dangerous so you'd better make sure you know what it does before using it. This wasn't readily apparent to me either when I first started modding. I think it might be useful to add this tidbit to the readme, perhaps followed by a "Do not believe this explanation".

#23 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:55 AM

Avast! Free v5 (whose standard shield I always disable during installs, leaving just the web/mail/p2p shields)

That's bad enough right there. We know Avast has been preventing Shaitan from installing FFT for example.

And I personal would rather not disable ALL of them together, I've had to format some 6 months ago cause of some shitty stuff called Virtumonde that caught up when I disabled them all together once

Maybe you still have it :P. But seriously, disconnect from the internet (unplug your cable, turn off your wireless or whatever), disable them all and then install it, like I've asked and like it says in the readme (maybe we need to make this more obvious :P). That way you can't get a new virus, and if you've already got one, all that stuff hasn't been doing its job. And you didn't post a screenshot of your startup programs like I asked. Bet you anything Avast is in there and a bunch of other stuff possibly even worse.

Yes, I know MOVE says "do not use" as do half the other commands in WeiDU. I've installed/reinstalled this mod at least a couple hundred times on different drives and only had something remotely similar on an external drive where presumably the low data transfer couldn't keep up with a mass-BAM transfer. But I'll bet good money this is an Avast thing again.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#24 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Heya :cheers: I recently tried out a BWP8.3 Expert install and found that Aurora didn't install for me :(

The error:
Spoiler

The WeiDU.log and BWPDebug.txt attached here :) Will attach Aurora's DEBUG soon...

Thanks for all help :)

(I understand that this looks like the problem I mentioned before ... the exe patch for the goblin animations failing. But still ... I just thought I'd report :P)

Attached Files

Edited by Lollorian, 14 February 2010 - 10:16 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#25 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

I'll let you know, that Leonardo has exact the same problem. He told me, that he has installed Aurora after Thieves Galore and that the problem doesn't exist with the pre-version.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#26 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for looking at it, Leomar :)

He told me, that he has installed Aurora after Thieves Galore

Same here :( Aurora's (according to the BWP8.3 install.bat) right after 1PP_Thieves

... and that the problem doesn't exist with the pre-version.

Pre(vious) versions?? Of Aurora or the BWP??

I dunno what's happening but I can say that I have Aurora properly installed (the new v5 Aurora :)) in another install with much fewer mods though. I'll try to test something out tonight :P (methinks it's another exe patch that's messing with this mod's patches ... SR/SCS/RR/... stuff :D)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#27 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:51 PM

I have Aurora v5 installed right after 1PP Thieves Galore. No problems during install.

#28 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

So, this is my BGMain's changelog:
Mods affecting BGMAIN.EXE:
00000: ~SETUP-A6XPPATCH.TP2~ 0 0 // Correct reporting of experience (EXE patch)
00001: ~SETUP-A6XPPATCH.TP2~ 0 1 // Remove 110% scaling of some experience (EXE patch)
00002: ~SETUP-A6CHARMPATCH.TP2~ 0 0 // Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (EXE patch)
00003: ~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ 0 0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core
00004: ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 20 // Mirror Image Fix
00005: ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 30 // Dispel Magic Fix
00006: ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 40 // Cure Sleep Fix
00007: ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ 0 50 // Remove Disabled Spells from Spell Selection Screens
00008: ~SWORD_AND_FIST/SETUP-SWORD_AND_FIST.TP2~ 0 1 // Monk Remix
00009: ~RR/SETUP-RR.TP2~ 0 9 // Use PnP thievery potions and prevent their effects from stacking
00010: ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ 0 2130 // Cosmetic change: stop Stoneskins from changing your character's colour
00011: ~1PP_FEMALE_DWARVES/SETUP-1PP_FEMALE_DWARVES.TP2~ 0 0 // Separate Avatars for Female Dwarves - Baldur's Gate II
00012: ~1PP_THIEVES_GALORE/SETUP-1PP_THIEVES_GALORE.TP2~ 0 1 // BGII - Unique Thief Avatars (patch)
00013: ~INFINITYANIMATIONS/SETUP-INFINITYANIMATIONS.TP2~ 0 0 // Infinity Animations
00014: ~SCSII/SETUP-SCSII.TP2~ 0 4020 // Make Watchers' Keep accessible between SoA and ToB
00015: ~SETUP-BGTMUSIC.TP2~ 0 2 // Full Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music (WARNING: patches BGMain.exe)
00016: ~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ 0 0 // for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!)
Might as well make an install out of only these and try to see if Aurora can install with them :) (all the stuff before 1PP_Thieves)

The problem with this is (like Miloch already pointed out) I have no clue where exactly (as in which line, when processed) gives the errors :(

#29 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

(I understand that this looks like the problem I mentioned before ... the exe patch for the goblin animations failing. But still ... I just thought I'd report :P)

This isn't the .exe patch failing, or it would say so very definitely (i.e. something like "EXE patch failed"). It is quite certainly the problem you had before, the one likely caused by some sort of heuristic code in Avast, and as I said before, one solved by disconnecting from the internet, disabling *every component* of Avast (or whatever antivirus/firewall/memory-resident software you have) and reinstalling. We are copying more animations in this version, so Avast could well be blocking it where it doesn't do so for previous versions. Moreover, all that is in the latest readme (about halfway down here where it says ERROR etc.). This is also fairly well-documented in the FFT workroom: same problem, same solution.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#30 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:54 AM

I did another install using just the stuff in the changelog, and this showed 2 things ...

1) None of the exe patches are probably interfering with Aurora :)
2) Aurora properly installs WITH my antivir not completely disabled when there are not as many mods as in the BWPExpert install :P

WeiDU.log (I'm in love with these spoiler tags :wub:)
Spoiler

And attached Aurora's DEBUG

Attached Files

Edited by Lollorian, 16 February 2010 - 06:55 AM.

#31 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:39 PM

I did another install...

I suppose there's supposed to be useful information in there? Particularly in a DEBUG file that, from your description, apparently does *not* contain any ERROR or WARNING messages? Didn't I tell you about that? :P

Look, no one ever said Aurora would *not* install with Avast running, or whatever laundry list of other memory-resident programs you've got going (yes, I know this since you PMed it to me :P). But the chances of the install failing, and failing at rogue random times that can't be reproduced or even give meaningful error messages (as in bombing out on one particular file or something) are quite high. We know this for fact, not just from Aurora but other mods. Now if you're claiming it's interference with a particular mod, then we'll need more info than a laundry list of installed mods (i.e. a WeiDU.log) that it *doesn't* interfere with vs. a laundry list of mods that it *might* interfere with - and that's a pretty big "might."

#32 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:41 AM

Pre(vious) versions?? Of Aurora or the BWP??

Of Aurora. ^_^

Leonardo told me, that the bug is only caused if RoT is installed. It depends on the file mgo4a2.bam from the RoTerror\anim\Abishai folder.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 17 February 2010 - 05:41 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#33 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

Leonardo told me, that the bug is only caused if RoT is installed. It depends on the file mgo4a2.bam from the RoTerror\anim\Abishai folder.

How does he pinpoint stuff like that?? :woot: I am in awesome awe!!!

(erm ... this guy has RoT and Aurora's main stuff installed together though :unsure:)

Anyway, Miloch, is the IAAurFix needed since Aurora v5?? :)

#34 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:09 AM

erm ... this guy has RoT and Aurora's main stuff installed together though

Yes, so do I, and I have had RoT installed while testing installing/uninstalling Aurora v5 many times, so I doubt it's that by itself.

Don't suppose Leonardo has Avast or some other memory-resident software running? I'd think he should know better than that, otherwise he'd have more issues in his testing. In any case, I need his DEBUG log, or the few lines of it before and after any ERROR messages, since he's the only other person besides Lollorian who's reported this (though see here for similar errors where turning off antivirus has resolved them).

Anyway, Miloch, is the IAAurFix needed since Aurora v5??

No. Says so in the .txt file included with it and in various forum posts here (but then reading isn't your strong point, is it? :lol:).

#35 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Anyway, Miloch, is the IAAurFix needed since Aurora v5??

No. Says so in the .txt file included with it and in various forum posts here (but then reading isn't your strong point, is it? :lol:).

Yeah :) It's a rather sad story about my eyes ... they freaked out when they saw this blue Drow-Orc hybrid thingus and ran way :( ... and then got eaten up by an Imp :devil: I'll probably never see them again :crying:

Thanks for the answer btw!! :D

#36 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:08 AM

Don't suppose Leonardo has Avast or some other memory-resident software running?

Leonardo want to say sorry for the false error warning. You're right and Leonardo has the problems only if he has running an AntiVir program. If he disable it, the installation went fine.

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Leonardo want to say sorry for the false error warning. You're right and Leonardo has the problems only if he has running an AntiVir program. If he disable it, the installation went fine.

Ha! In your face Lollorian! :P (He wouldn't listen when I said it was an antivirus thing.)

I'm merging this with the original antivirus topic for now, unless someone can produce an ERROR/DEBUG log that points to an actual mod problem rather than an antivirus thing.

#38 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

But, but ... Aurora ... and avast ... heuristics ... tacobell :wacko:

Might as well take it like a man :) What can li'l ol' Lol do in front of giants? (one of who is probably the reason IA got out when it did, and another whose initiative is the only reason I'm still playing BGII today :D)

Well, I tried disabling avast (all components), but it still sits in the memory like a freaking corn :D When I boot in safe mode though, it doesn't start up, so I can probably install then :( (does WeiDU work in safe mode btw?? :P)

Or would anyone using avast be kind enough to please help me over here?? Oh, and no alternate antivir recommendations please :)

#39 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Oh, and no alternate antivir recommendations please

Anything else (well almost anything - Norton and McAfee suck too). ClamWin is good - Avira is tops according to this. Even Microsoft comes before Avast, which should be a red alert.

#40 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:37 PM

Oh, and no alternate antivir recommendations please

Anything else (well almost anything - Norton and McAfee suck too). ClamWin is good - Avira is tops according to this. Even Microsoft comes before Avast, which should be a red alert.

:doh:

Anyway, yeah, I've read that before and it looks like the MS solutions would work for me :) (Avira would probably detect WeiDU as a virus even if avast didn't :lol: ... and the free version doesn't have web protection :() ... And I'm not sure if Ms' anitvir has web protection either :unsure: