Assertion failed: ChVidPal.ccp. Line number 1124

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Scully

Scully
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

Posted Image

Every time I try to initiate a conversation with someone, the game crashes. It might be other factors, but I haven't gotten far enough to check as this is a very dialog heavy game.

I have the newest versions of all the big mods, fix patch, tweak patch, widescreen mod, UB mod and this one. Everything works fine with the other mods, this is the one causing my problems. Tried different resolutions, but nothing works.

Halp!

I am using the 2cd version btw

edit: well, if someone could at least answer me this, does the mod require me to start a new save game?

Edited by Scully, 02 June 2010 - 12:11 PM.

#2 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Yes, (as i explicitly mention in the readme) you need to start a new game.

#3 Scully

Scully
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

Damn, so either I start now without the mod, or I wait for a fix. How there can be an error with a file that doesn't exist beats me. No clue what could be wrong?

#4 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Ok maybe there has been a misunderstanding. Did you start a new game when you installed the widescreen mod + my UI, or did you continue from an old save? You must always start a new game after installing the widescreen mod and this applies even if you decide to change resolution mid-game.

(As for the assertion errors in Torment, they're always like that, they don't point to actual files.)

#5 Scully

Scully
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

Ok maybe there has been a misunderstanding. Did you start a new game when you installed the widescreen mod + my UI, or did you continue from an old save? You must always start a new game after installing the widescreen mod and this applies even if you decide to change resolution mid-game.

(As for the assertion errors in Torment, they're always like that, they don't point to actual files.)

I started a new game with the widescreen mod. I can't find a error log to update, but I'll keep looking.

#6 -drvirtue-

-drvirtue-

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

Necroing this thread because I seem to be facing a similar problem. The moment Morte floats over to me and starts talking during the intro, the game crashes with the "Assertion failed: ChVidPal.ccp, line number 1124" message displayed.

Been searching all over the web for a solution, and well, so far I haven't had any luck. Will gladly appreciate any help on this matter.

#7 -drvirtue-

-drvirtue-

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

I'm also running the 2CD version, and running all the mods that Scully specified. I suspect that we were both following the guide provided here: http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html

The game is currently running under 1600x900 resolution(my monitor's maximum resolution)thanks to the Widescreen mod. Anyway, the problem does seem to lie with Ghostdog's PS:T UI mod in particular, as uninstalling it seems to fix things. Unfortunately, that method robs me off the enhancements that this mod provides. I'm also using Windows XP.

#8 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

I'm also running the 2CD version, and running all the mods that Scully specified. I suspect that we were both following the guide provided here: http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html

The game is currently running under 1600x900 resolution(my monitor's maximum resolution)thanks to the Widescreen mod. Anyway, the problem does seem to lie with Ghostdog's PS:T UI mod in particular, as uninstalling it seems to fix things. Unfortunately, that method robs me off the enhancements that this mod provides. I'm also using Windows XP.

You could give a try to the following fix. Some people with the 2CD version have said that it helped them with crashes. You'll need a hex editor to open Torment.exe and replace the lines, be sure to replace all lines as they appear multiple times :

I can't guarantee if this won't mess up the area or area map but you can patch these bytes to prevent the crash. I tested the patches with a saved game that would crash on entering Mebbeth's hut and it seems ok. This is basically disabling the error checking for sizes that exceed the limit. Use something like Hex Workshop to do a hex search and then replace the values in bold. You might want to make a backup of file before doing this. Also, these patterns will work on either 2/4 CD versions of exe.

search: 83 C1 07 3B C1 76 14
replace: 83 C1 07 3B C1 EB 14

search: 83 7D 0C 00 77 14
replace: 83 7D 0C 00 EB 14

Apart from that, I'm not sure what other solution I could offer, except for suggesting a new clean install of the game and when you're installing the mods leave the widescreen mod + my UI for last, in the installtion order.

#9 -drvirtue-

-drvirtue-

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:47 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The fix didn't work, but I'm currently going through the lengthy process of reinstalling everything. Will update once I'm finished.

#10 -Beaux10-

-Beaux10-

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

I am experiencing the exact same problem, but I have the GOG.com version and I'm running it on Windows 7 64-bit. Morte floats over, the game crashes and, it says that ChVidPal.ccp thing. I have little experience with using mods and it's my first time playing the game. Wait, I just realized something... despite the fact that the guide I was using said not to install the game to the Programs folder, I had already done it before I read the warning and was to lazy to reinstall in a different area! I'm gonna try installing it elsewhere now...

#11 -Beaux10-

-Beaux10-

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

Sorry for the double post, but I didn't see a way to edit my last one. Anyway, I tried installing it in my downloads folder, but it didn't help. I can play the game if I just use the bigger font, though.

#12 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 01:38 AM

Hmm, various problems have emerged with people running GOGversion+Win764. The antivirus maybe causing some problem. Disable it and try again. If this doesn't work, try changing the resolution to 1024x768 and see if that helps. To do this : uninstall my UI, uninstall the widescreen mod and then re-install at 1024x768 (you could also try 1280x1024).

#13 -Luchian-

-Luchian-

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:19 AM

I'm having the same problem. As soon as Morte flies over to me, the game crashes and the "An assertion failed [...] number 1124" error is displayed.

I tried reinstalling and playing around with different resolutions and it still doesn't work. One thing I noticed is that the game runs just fine even after I install bigg's widescreen mod. However, after I install Ghostdog's UI, it crashes with the assertion error.

I have the GoG version of the game and running it on Windows Ultimate x64.

If you could offer any hints on how to solve this, I'd give a bucket full of thanks :)

#14 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

I had problem with my 2CD version with same error and check this link how I solved it.

Maybe it helps you.

#15 -Luchian-

-Luchian-

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

Thanks Mad Mate but that's not it. The Cache folder is empty when I start the game and even if I copy all files with the .bif extension to that directory, it still doesn't work.

#16 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

So it always crashes in the first room of the game?

Try this:

Delete all files from cache folder and temp folder.
Copy just "AR0202.bif" (22MB) in cache folder and start game.

#17 -Luchian-

-Luchian-

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

Nope, not working :(. Oh, well, I guess I'll play it like it's 1999 :)

#18 -Da_GPer-

-Da_GPer-

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:15 AM

Sorry to necro this post, but I also seem to be having the same 1124 error after installing the game, installing the widescreen mod, installing the Ghostdog UI, and then starting a new game. The skull comes over then crashes. I installed it not in the Program Files, but in its own folder on my C Drive. I have Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit.

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Sorry to necro this post, but I also seem to be having the same 1124 error after installing the game, installing the widescreen mod, installing the Ghostdog UI, and then starting a new game. The skull comes over then crashes. I installed it not in the Program Files, but in its own folder on my C Drive. I have Windows 7 Pro 32 Bit.

Have you tried to remove the "cache", "tempsave" and "temp" folders from the game folder before starting the game ?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#20 -Da_GPer-

-Da_GPer-

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

Well, since its a new install, the cache was empty. As for the other two, I have no idea where those are.