NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

#41 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

Bad luck; it still doesn't work ok in all cases.

For instance try to open EFF files. It will say it didn't find them. Or open a save game. Some of those internal files it will find, some it will not.

I didn't debug it.

Make sure your installation is entirely tolowered. Save files, for instance, are created in upper case, IIRC.
I do not seem to be having problems opening EFFs. If it is not a case issue I am not sure what it could be, but maybe a little digging through the code is necessary. Are they biffed EFFs, or from the override, or both?

#42 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

From the bifs. In fact, most of everything appears with the name uppercased in NI, and most of everything fails reading.

It was probably because i didn't lowercase (yet), you're right.

A simple non bifed example:
characters folder, CLERIC.BIO works, CLERIC.CHR fails with:
Error reading CLERIC.CHR
null
(which is bizarre considering both are totally uppercase in the filesystem) - why wouldn't the BIO fail too?

A simple bifed example:
Error reading ARCHHIT.EFF
data/Effects.bif not found

Checking the folder with the console, the file "data/Effects.bif" is there with the same case. So it probably lowercasing it at a lower level and failing because of the missing to lower.

I think a warning if you're using !windows and a file not found of this kind happens to run tolower from the weidu package and try again would be nice.

I think the new Path api (File replacement) in java 8 has a flag if the filesystem is case sensitive (besides being useful to implement virtual filesystems wooooh-shiny)

Edited by i30817, 30 November 2011 - 10:25 PM.

#43 Dark_Ansem

Dark_Ansem
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:47 AM

thank you very much :D

#44 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

I have updated Hide NI DOS to v1.03 and uploaded it to the first post. The changes are as follows:

• Fixed a bug where the Hide NI DOS process did not close when the NearInfinity window was closed. Everyone using the old version should update. Sorry about that...
  • Replaced corrupt?s "CMDret_Stream" function with his "CMDret_RunReturn" function, as it is more appropriate and likely performs better in this situation.
  • Greatly improved logging. The output should actually be readable now :-) . It is still disabled by default.
  • Many other minor code improvements.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#45 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the updates!

As an aside, could I wrangle you and Igi into standardizing what to name the effect opcodes? For example, NI has opcode 42 as "Bonus wizard spells" and the IESDP has it as "Spell: Wizard Spell Slots Modifier".

Nevermind. NI is fine; concise and intuitive. It's IESDP's overly technical nomenclature that's the problem. I'd post this at the appropriate thread at g3 but I can't be arsed to re-register after FF decided to not keep my password after their format change.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#46 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Nevermind. NI is fine; concise and intuitive. It's IESDP's overly technical nomenclature that's the problem.

That's my opinion exactly :) lol.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#47 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

You'll want to report that problem on NI's development forum. Sam is just using this thread to make the compiled versions available. But one of the developers did ask for reports of this sort of issue. If you have a CRE with which you can always reproduce this, you might want to attach it too.

The last activity there is March '11 and several old queries remain unanswered. That can't be the best place for feedback. Which dev asked for it and was it for PPG?

Either way...

1. HideNI is great. Thanks!

2. The newest (Jan 12, I guess since they're all b20) NI doesn't see overriding folders like Portraits and Scripts. Well, it sees them but you can't access them as a dropdown option while editing a file.

Edited by phordicus, 02 February 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#48 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

You'll want to report that problem on NI's development forum. Sam is just using this thread to make the compiled versions available. But one of the developers did ask for reports of this sort of issue. If you have a CRE with which you can always reproduce this, you might want to attach it too.

The last activity there is March '11 and several old queries remain unanswered. That can't be the best place for feedback. Which dev asked for it and was it for PPG?

Taimon (who along with devSin are the two primary coders of NI in recent decades) said here:

I won't be working on NI for a while, but I'll keep things in mind.
Fixing bugs has a much higher priority for me, though.

The Near Infinity forum at PPG is still where all comments, questions, requests, concerns, and feedback regarding the actual program code should be directed, as it is still the official forum of NI and that is where the coders of the program can theoretically most likely be reached. I personally don't touch the code at all, and so don't have the ability to respond to anything concerning NI's code...

I'm glad you find Hide NI DOS useful. If you experience any problems or have any suggestions, let me know :)

2. The newest (Jan 12, I guess since they're all b20) NI doesn't see overriding folders like Portraits and Scripts. Well, it sees them but you can't access them as a dropdown option while editing a file.

Can you post a screenshot of what you mean? I don't quite understand. Not that I can fix it, but if things really are broken that weren't before I may revert the previous version to being the "latest" and direct only those using linux to this version.

Edited by Sam., 02 February 2012 - 05:18 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#49 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

Posted Image
^ older version

In the new version, NI still sees the folder structure on the left but doesn't in the dropdowns in editing the files themselves. "funinja01.bam" wouldn't be shown as an option in the dropdown even though it'd show up on the left.

#50 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Have linux users tried (or seen) something like this?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#51 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:47 AM

I will see if I can find the problem.

#52 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

Have linux users tried (or seen) something like this?

The linux version you posted recently (with the bigg's patch) works really well, thanks!
I must say modding's become much simpler for me now, thanks to that

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#53 Firebringer

Firebringer
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Greetings all,

I am extremely happy to see a BG-related forum with recent activity. I've been a huge fan of the Big World Project but now I want to try my hand at modding some of the character kits with NearInfinity.

Examples of some stuff I'd like to try:

1. Change which kits give weapon specialization, and have the game actually recognize this when I change it. Some of the kits with Big World Project say that they give weapon specialization but it doesn't actually affect their number of attacks. I'd like to try to use NI to change that.

2. Add spells to certain kits. Specifically I'd like to add lightning bolt to the Stormlord of Talos kit.

Does anyone have any guidance for how I could go about making kit changes such as these with NI? If there is a better forum for this question just let me know and I'll post there too.

Thanks!

#54 Firebringer

Firebringer
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Ok, after spending a few hours (and a lot of reloading my back ups some .2DA files) I was able to get lightning bolt successfully added to my Stormlord of Talos like I wanted.

It looks like the attacks/round issue with specialization is hard coded into the IE engine so I'm going to pass on that one for awhile.

However, I do see a spell effect for 'Modify number of attacks(1)'. How could I, say at level 7, apply a spell effect to a kit that added 1 to its number of attacks per round? I'm sure there is at least one spell effect that already does this, I'm just not sure how to find it so that I can assign to the kit (ninja kit btw). I thought about looking at haste but what I'm trying to do is a little different than haste; I just want to add 1 to the kit's number of attacks per round at a specific level by applying a .spl to it.

Does anyone know a .spl that does? I'm running Big World Project v9.10.

Thanks!

#55 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:29 AM

Attached File  bg2tob.htm   195.69K   601 downloads

This is a stripped down opcode page for IESDP.

Effects go by the same names as used in NI.

Any tables, lists, or explanations are only shown at their first appearance.

Put this in the /opcode folder. Backup the original or not.

#56 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:30 PM

In light of the problem brought forward by phordicus I would only recommended my build to Linux users, with the caveat that it is merely less non-functional than the standard build.

The case patch screws too much with the inner workings of NI (case-sensitive maps/dictionaries) and I do not like Java well enough to subject myself to it any further.

#57 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

In light of the problem brought forward by phordicus I would only recommended my build to Linux users, with the caveat that it is merely less non-functional than the standard build.

The case patch screws too much with the inner workings of NI (case-sensitive maps/dictionaries) and I do not like Java well enough to subject myself to it any further.

Ok. I have updated the 1st post.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#58 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

Okay, another crack at this.
This build fixes a bug in the effect index checker. Link.
NearInfinity.jar contains just the bugfix.
NearInfinityCI.jar also contains Bigg's case patch and a fix for the issue reported by phordicus

#59 drxw

drxw
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi.
I've got a problem with Near Infinity. No matter what I do, I always get an error message when I try to change/convert files with the program, e.g. "Errors during conversion" (when trying to convert CHR to CRE) or "Error while saving ....CHR" (when trying to change a CHR-file). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I tried v1.32.1b24 as well as v1.33b20 of Near Infinity. I'm running the gog.com version of BG2 on windows 7 64-bit.

#60 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi.
I've got a problem with Near Infinity. No matter what I do, I always get an error message when I try to change/convert files with the program, e.g. "Errors during conversion" (when trying to convert CHR to CRE) or "Error while saving ....CHR" (when trying to change a CHR-file). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I tried v1.32.1b24 as well as v1.33b20 of Near Infinity. I'm running the gog.com version of BG2 on windows 7 64-bit.

TBH I have no idea... Is this the only function of NearInfinity that gives errors? First, make sure you are using the latest version of Java (there is a link in the first post). Then, try with this vanilla one from my game, and see if you get the same error:

Attached File  CLERIC.rar   374bytes   426 downloads

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage