NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1155 replies to this topic

#81 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Tried to upload a screenshot but the damn uploader won't let me upload anything bigger than a small BG1 portrait... What the hell good is that?!?

You need to upload to an offsite location and get a direct link to the picture frames:
[img] http-link- [/img]

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#82 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Tried to upload a screenshot but the damn uploader won't let me upload anything bigger than a small BG1 portrait... What the hell good is that?!?

You need to upload to an offsite location and get a direct link to the picture frames:
[img] http-link- [/img]

Shouldn't have to... Although I guess I have no room to talk since it looks like SHS is breaking Liam and Seb, and I've never donated... Maybe I should so I have a right to complain :P .

Edit: Just donated $25. Now I can whine all I want lol.

Edited by Sam., 12 December 2012 - 11:59 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#83 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

Do you think you can take a look at this, Wisp?

I can add it to my ever-growing list of things to do, but I'm afraid I can't give an estimate for when I can have a look at it (but probably soon-ish, as I give bugs a high priority and will probably need some relief from the stinking OCaml-on-windows build process).

#84 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Yes, this is exactly the problem. Removing header from TIS files.

#85 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Tilesets are biffed in an unusual way. Effectively, the salient bits of the header and the file data are stored separately. Normally, the file header is stored as part of the file data. A cursory glance suggests Hauglid did not account for this when he wrote the unbiff code for NI, so when you export a TIS file, you get the file data, same as with any other file, except for TIS files this does not include a header.

Edited by Wisp, 15 December 2012 - 06:16 AM.

#86 -Roana-

-Roana-

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hello,

I'm just wondering, why you want to use NI for editing TIS-files. There ae 2 different other, better ways to deal with them: IETME (for area editing) and TIS-Utility (in conjunction with MOSMaker for only grafic editing) from the old TeamBG group.

Sure, these are old tools, but they are in my experience without any serious bugs and have a good documentation and, in addition, they are for an old game :) . So, why don't you use these tools for editing areas or TIS files?

Greetings

Roana

(Please don't expect to see me often at this forum in the next time... I'm currently modding my Ultima IX for a better gameplay experience and only stumbled over this thread by surfing for infomation about BGEE ;) . But I will come back to see your answer. If you don't have and/or can get these old tools, I will send them to one with webspace to make them available for the modders again :) .)

#87 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'm just wondering, why you want to use NI for editing TIS-files. ...

I bet it's because this tool is supposed to have a file export function, but it can't be used without it damaging the files ... so it's not about editing the file, but exporting, well in a sense.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 17 December 2012 - 12:12 AM.

#88 -Roana-

-Roana-

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:43 AM

Hello,

I see. I guess, you need some more information about the past and the developing of tools for the BG-games :) .

A cursory glance suggests Hauglid did not account for this when he wrote the unbiff code for NI, so when you export a TIS file, you get the file data, same as with any other file, except for TIS files this does not include a header.

...so it's not about editing the file, but exporting, well in a sense.

Well, Hauglid has developed the best editing tool for editing Infinity games and hacking the Infinity engine that was possible at that time, with the knowledge about that engine that was available at that time, until he has retired from NI. My kudos to him and his work, that he is so kind, to hold available for so long time :) .

The reason why he couldn't implement a better export of TIS files in NI is the lack of knowledge about the code of the Infinity engine at that time. I will quote from the readme of the mentioned old TISUtil to make it somewhat clearer. In this readme from the year 2000 is written:

"4. What are the two options for output file type? How do they differ?

The tilesets that Interplay works with are .TIS files. These files are usable in the
overrides\ directory of Infinity Engine games. However, when the tiles are packed
into .BIFF files, their headers are stripped. Thus we have no knowledge of the .TIS
header format and cannot directly use extracted files.

.TS files are the raw tileset information, with no header of any kind. The applicactions
for this file type are limited.

.PTS files are a file format of my design. They differ from .TS files in that they do
have a header. They are still not recognizable to the games, however the header allows
for easier writing of utilities. Currently several utilities are under construction which
will operate on .PTS files. Only .PTS files can be reimported into the game at this time."

These from TISUtil created .PTS files can be viewed and edited by the old MOSMaker, I mentioned before, and then reimported by the TISUtil. The TISUtil was one of the first tools developed for modding the games, earlier than NiI came out.

Later on, the founded "Infinity Engine Hacking Project" has made some progress in understanding the code and the tool IETME (Infinity Engine Tileset Map Editor) was made based on this newer knowledge in the year 2002, which does all the export-import-work automatic for you, if you view and/or edit an area with it. (With IETME I have managed to get a crashfree Beregost for my game by editing some heavily overlaping ambients in that area and deleting one or two (? ... a long time was going by since then, and I haven't installed BG on my notebook yet to review how many :unsure: ) of the ReputationTraps there :) .

I hope, this makes a bit clearer, why NI is not able to export TIS files in a way, they can be viewed and/or edited an reimported in a way the games would recognise correctly. So I have recommended to use the old tools for this type of files for the BG-games ;) .

Greetings

Roana

#89 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Erhm, that's nice... but this isn't about the past, but about the future of the editor... see as Sam and Wisp our current Weidu god-apprentice are updating the current build, so if they can make an adjustment that corrects the function, they probably should, if they find the thing to fix. As the current editor is not just a bit edited 2002 version, but about ~30 updates into it, and it has a more than a few peoples contributions, as seen from the first post in the first page.

#90 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

New update.  This version is unofficially labeled as "NearInfinity-w1.1.0 dev" and fixes the issue with many of the fields being treated as unknowns on BGEE.  See the 1st post.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#91 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Today, I downloaded NearInfinity-w1.1.0 dev to my Mac, dropped the .jar file and the folder into my Applications folder, placed the .jar in the Dock (as that's where I had my previous version of NI), clicked on the icon to launch, and got a failure. Console reports:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:124)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:260)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)

Please help! I can't use NI at all until this issue is resolved.

TIA for any assistance :)

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#92 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Which version of Java are you using? You can find out with the command "java -version". We might be needing Java 1.6 these days, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Also, which version of NI were you using before?

#93 shadowlich

shadowlich
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

@Wisp and other people that can help me...

I am trying to make a tool in C#,  I could use the latest source code of NearInfinity for great benefits for all of us.

Do you know where I could find its source?

Thanks for any help

#94 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

I am trying to make a tool in C#,  I could use the latest source code of NearInfinity for great benefits for all of us.Do you know where I could find its source?

Links are in the 1st post:

While Taimon's build is the primary branch, other branches of NearInfinity include Fredrik Lindgren's branch, vbigiani's branch, and FredSRichardson's branch.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#95 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I don't recall where to check for my version of Java (maybe it's 1.4.2), but my machine is so archaic that it can't take 1.6! If this means I can't use the latest build of NI, I'll have to revert back to whatever version I had before, if I can figure out what to d/l (which I can't figure out).

Edited by Eric P., 30 January 2013 - 09:11 PM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#96 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'm just wondering, why you want to use NI for editing TIS-files. ...

I bet it's because this tool is supposed to have a file export function, but it can't be used without it damaging the files ... so it's not about editing the file, but exporting, well in a sense.

NI doesn't damage all files it exports. That is a random occurance.

#97 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Which version of Java are you using? You can find out with the command "java -version". We might be needing Java 1.6 these days, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Also, which version of NI were you using before?

Currently using Java 1.5.0_19. The last version of NI I was using was 1.32.

Edited by Eric P., 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#98 shadowlich

shadowlich
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Tx a lot Sam.  , you save me :D

#99 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

Lately I have trouble using NearInfinity with any kind of sound files of my games.

When I'm using ACM2WAV.EXE, the following error message appears whenever I select a WAV file:

Error loading XYZ.WAV
Executable name has embedded quote, split the arguments

NearInfinity's debug console shows me the following:

Spoiler

And when I select an ACM file, I get the following message whenever I click one of the Convert buttons:

Error during conversion

The output of the debug console:

Spoiler

For some reason I have the file _XYZ.ACM lying around in the game's root folder afterwards, no matter whether I attempted to play back an ACM file or a WAV file.

It becomes even worse when I try using acmtools. I can select the wav file, but the following error is shown when I attempt to play it back:

Error during playback

and NearInfinity becomes unresponsive. I have to force-quit it via Task Manager.

The output of the debug console:

Spoiler

In this case, no files are left in the game's root folder afterwards.

I can't think of anything I might have changed in my NearInfinity configuration or Java installation. I'm currently using the Java Runtime version 1.7.0_21.
I've tried out several NearInfinity versions, but they all show the same behavior.

BTW, when I try to mass export all WAV files, they are all exported as ACM files. I'm not sure if that is the expected behavior or not.

#100 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:36 AM

Argent77, it appears to be a Java7u21 thing that broke backwards compatibility with earlier versions of Java (ref). I'll see if I can have it sorted out in a somewhat timely manner.

Edit: now with 50 % more accuracy.

Edited by Wisp, 10 May 2013 - 03:56 AM.