Dragon Age II News

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#501 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:48 PM

Here's the up-to-date Day 1 DLC list. The total DLC pack count is now 24, with an unknown number of included unique items.

Now migrated further down this page.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 08 March 2011 - 05:20 AM.

#502 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

Sebastian Vael has been confirmed as a LI of sorts. It's burried in here somewhere, and in the Strategy Guide, previews of which you can see here. There's a catch, though. There always is. He's celibate. The Strategy Guide has serious spoilers about Anders, Fenris, and Merrill as well, so read at your own risk.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#503 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:32 AM

A celibate love interest? OH, GODS, FINALLY! I so love the idea. I'll go and do a happy little dance now.

By the way, you've probably all read, but Bioware confirmed there will only be one DRM check on install - afterwards we can play offline happily, no checks whatsoever. However, there will be checks if we decide to go online, each time.

#504 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

News:
A Criticism of BioWare @ Gamasutra
David Gaider Interview @ NY Daily News
Rogue Week: Companions @ Grey Wardens
Rogue Week: Class Introduction @ Grey Wardens
The Technology of Dragon Age II - Part Two @ Bio Blog

Hi Dragon Age 2 PC gamers.

Many of you have been asking when you can pre-load Dragon Age 2 onto your machines. Pre-loading happens with digital versions of DA2 and is installing the game so it is ready to play once the unlock time arrives. Pre-loading is not available from all retailers. Check with your retailer to see if they offer pre-loading. You have also been asking when the game will unlock so you can start playing, which applies to digital and retail PC copies. These pertain to PC versions and not to console versions of Dragon Age 2.

Pre-Loading is based on the region you live in. Pre-loading of digital versions begins at the following times:

• Asia/Pacific region ? 18:00 GMT on March 4th
  • Canada & United States ? 18:00 GMT on March 4th
  • Russian Federation - 18:00 GMT on March 4th
  • Western Europe ? 10:00 GMT March 7th
  • Australia & New Zealand ? 09:00 GMT on March 8th
  • Central and South America - 10:00 GMT on March 8th
  • Eastern Europe ? 10:00 GMT March 8th
  • Great Britain & Ireland ? 10:00 GMT on March 8th
Unlocking is based on the official game release date for the region you live in. The PC versions, both digital and retail, will unlock beginning at the following times:

• Asia/Pacific region ? 0000h on March 8th
  • Canada & United States ? 0000h on March 8th
  • Russian Federation - 0200h on March 8th
  • Western Europe ? 0000h on March 10th
  • Australia & New Zealand ? 0000h March 9th
  • Central and South America - 1700h March 10th
  • Eastern Europe ? 0000h March 11th
  • Great Britain & Ireland ? 0000h March 11th
Get ready, Dragon Age 2 is almost here.

#505 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

The third bonus tome for DA II has been unlocked, see my updated day 1 DLC list a couple of posts back. The Ring of Whispers is now offered by Razer as well as Epic Weapons.

News:
DA II Live Game Night @ 1UP
World Update: Qunari @ BioWare
Razer Adds DA II Products @ Razerzone
Spoilers! Review Of The First 5 Hours @ GameInformer
The Decline Of The Classic RPG Editorial @ Hooked Gamers
Ten Things You Should Know About DA II @ GameInformer

#506 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:07 AM

I know this topic is mostly about news but I have one quick question (that was not new topic worthy to ask) I assume we are suppose to import the "Witch Hunt" Save as our final save if we have witch hunt...rather then the "Awakening" save right? I did not bother tinkering with the modded demo to see if one or the other is better or worse...or if witch hunt really changes anything in DA:2...

Edited by Vicen, 08 March 2011 - 01:09 AM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#507 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:13 AM

Both obviously work, but the Witch Hunt end save game is what you should import under optimal conditions. I doubt it will make a big difference though, but that's the one I'm importing.

#508 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 06:40 AM

This is actually a pretty good editorial, I recommend everyone to read it. It's not anything that we haven't discussed here, but it's a very good summary.

#509 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

It looks pretty misinformed to me.

Quite simply you cannot create your own character as such; you merely customise a pre-set character.

Going by that line of thought, the original Fallout or Planescape: Torment were shitty cRPG as well? :o

Obsolete pause button

Er, what? You can't judge difficulty by a two hours demo; moreover the reason why Pause is obsolete is that the obscenely long health bars slow the combat pace down, thus severely reducing the gain you'd have by correctly timing your spells (as health bars grow, any consideration but sustained DPS stop being relevant).

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#510 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:28 AM

This is actually a pretty good editorial, I recommend everyone to read it. It's not anything that we haven't discussed here, but it's a very good summary.

Good editorial ? Well you should also add that the "review" is based on the public beta, and not the actual real game...

When you get into the game you will notice that player conversations have become much less significant as well.

Somebody didn't notice that the dialog is based on the same system that the Mass Effect's dialog is... namely, fully voiced dialog. And who says the dialog options don't have real consequences in the actual game, this is just a demo. A 10 minute demo + the fight engine. I wonder how much character development there was in BG2's demo... but certainly there was less characters class and alignment dependent dialog options in the demo.
Ah darn, the bigg ninjaed me, ah well...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 07 March 2011 - 07:29 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#511 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

When you get into the game you will notice that player conversations have become much less significant as well.

Somebody didn't notice that the dialog is based on the same system that the Mass Effect's dialog is... namely, fully voiced dialog.

Mass Effect dialogue choices IMHO have more impact on the game than DA:O (or even BG). In the latter, for 90% of the game the only choice you have is between "quest/no quest", "quest solution 1/quest solution 2" or simply between three, differently worded, idempotent choices. In ME, even your choices in TDWICs eventually amount to defining your character's morality (kind of like a certain game featuring a loincloth-wearing gray-skinned man).

Also: http://www.escapistm...aming-Afterlife

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#512 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

I stand corrected, it's not very logical. Shows what I get for skimming through five tabs of articles at the same time...

Yeah, I think I'll read the whole thing next time.

#513 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

I just received a confirmation email today - my copy of Dragon Age II Signature Edition has been shipped, and it should arrive to me by Friday. I was less-than-thrilled by the demo, so I'm not expecting the actual release to be that much better. I'll take any improvements though.

The Escapist has put up their web review of Dragon Age II now that the game is released in the US. The final score was five stars out of five, and the reviewer was highly impressed by the game. Apparently the auto-attack feature didn't make the console version though.

BioWare has released a High-Rest Texture Pack, because apparently they couldn't get it in the PC retail release. It weighs in at 1.08GB, and you download it right here.

High Resolution Texture Pack for the PC version of Dragon Age II[/size]

This will add the option to enable higher detail replacements for most textures in game. A big difference will be noticed on level art especially.

Requirements: Using high-resolution textures requires a graphics card with at least 1024MB video memory.

Most of the benefits from the Hi-resolution textures will only be seen if you are able to run the game in DirectX 11.

To manually download your new content on the PC:

• Download the installer from the link below and run it.
  • Run Dragon Age II.
  • Open the Options menu.
  • Select Video options.
  • Check the "Hi-resolution textures" checkbox.
Note: In order to enable the "Very High" setting you will need a video card that supports DX11 and the latest drivers.

Grey Wardens have started their Mage Week, and the first article up is the class introduction. The companions article is now available as well.

Chris Priestly writes that BioWare's midnight launch of Dragon Age II in Edmonton gathered some enthusiastic fans:

I cam see he end of the line! Over 100 fans showed up, won prizes, ate pizza, got their copies autographed and now it is time for bed (or DAII)

Thanks to all who showed up!

BioWare has put together a page for the bonus items with actual item statistics. You can read my fully updated list of day 1 DLC below. The total count is now 26 DLC packs, and the Blood Dragon Armor is now available in three separate games.

Adder of Antiva, Bow - Signature Edition
Ring of Resilience, Ring - Signature Edition
Seeker's Bulwark, Shield - Signature Edition
Apostate's Courage, Staff - Signature Edition
Might of the Sten, 2H Sword - Signature Edition
The Exiled Prince, Companion - Signature Edition

The Black Emporium, Store - All New Game Purchases
Boots of the Frozen Wastes, Boots - Register Your Copy
Lion of Orlais Shield, Shield - All Pre-Orders @ Participating Retailers
Fadeshear Sword, 1H Sword - All Pre-Orders @ Participating Retailers
Blood Dragon Armor, Armor Set - All Previous Blood Dragon Armor Owners In Origins/ME2

Hindsight, Belt - Penny Arcade Promotion
Staff of Parthalan, Staff - BioWare Promotion
Hayder's Razor, 2H Sword - Completed Demo

Evra's Might, Ring - Dragon Age Legends
Air of Confidence, Ring - Dragon Age Legends
Evra's Trophy Belt, Belt - Dragon Age Legends
Ivo Family Crest, Amulet - Dragon Age Legends
Dura's Blue Flame, Amulet - Dragon Age Legends

The Irons, Belt - Pre-Order Bonus @ EA Store
The Antivan Garrotte, Belt - Purchase Bonus @ BioWare Store
Ser Isaac's Armor, Armor Set - All New Dead Space 2 Purchases
Ring of Whispers, Ring - Purchase Bonus @ Epic Weapons & Razer
Amulet of Ashes, Amulet - Pre-Order Bonus @ Play.com & Best Buy

Lothering's Lament, Book - 1 000 000 Demo Activations [Unlocked]
Of Things Not Lost, Book - 1 000 000 FB POTD Impressions [Unlocked]
The Far Cliffs of Kirkwall, Book - 1 000 000 Demo Activations [Unlocked]

That's about it for now.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 11 March 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#514 Zander

Zander
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

Just noticed on the DA2 website bonus items page, that to get the 3 tomes that were unlocked by the demo downloads and the Facebook shennanigans (Don't and won't use it, so no idea how it works) are available if you like DA2 on Facebookl!!! I guess I won't be getting those either, then.

#515 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:09 PM

Check your entitlements page. You may already have those tomes.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#516 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:26 AM

Here come the reviews, most positive, some less-so. Take them with a grain of salt if you prefer the Origins way of doing things.

It seems like BioWare is off to a good start when it comes to good publicity... I wonder if the sales numbers will match it though. Later on we'll probably find out that Origins sold less copies, but I guess that's to be expected.

News:
Review: B+ @ 1UP
Review: 9/10 @ CVG
Review: 4/5 @ Joystiq
Review: 8.5/10 @ IGN
Review: 80% @ RPGSite
Review: 94% @ PC Gamer
Review: 95% @ PC Format
Review: 8/10 @ GameSpot
Review: 8/10 @ Eurogamer
Review: 7/10 @ VideoGamer
Review: 80% @ Strategy Informer
PC Review: 7.75/10 @ GameInformer
Console Review: 8.25/10 @ GameInformer
No Grade Review: Positive But Imperfect @ MTV
Exclusive Dragon Age II Launch Trailer @ GameTrailers

Just noticed on the DA2 website bonus items page, that to get the 3 tomes that were unlocked by the demo downloads and the Facebook shennanigans (Don't and won't use it, so no idea how it works) are available if you like DA2 on Facebookl!!! I guess I won't be getting those either, then.

Check your entitlements page. You may already have those tomes.

All three tomes were unlocked for everyone. I've got the FB related one, and I've never been on FB.

You can check your Profile --> Your Registered Game Content to verify this.

#517 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

Better than Pokemon @ CAD Comic

Edited by the bigg, 09 March 2011 - 01:33 AM.

#518 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hey, that's a bonus! I never thought of it in those terms...

Maybe they'll do a platform crossover with Nintendo now. :P

#519 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:41 AM

DA2 was already co-developed by Square Enix, I don't want more wapanese wankery in DA3.

#520 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:02 AM

Just wait, they'll have the standard edition branded as DA III Silver, and the Collector's Edition will be DA III Gold. It'll also come with a collectible inflatable oversized sword. Dragonmon Battle Revolution 3D™!