658 replies to this topic

#641 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Opinion: Don't Waste My Time @ Grey Wardens

Not really DA2 news, or news at all. More like an impatient player whinging "make my games smaller so I can get through them more quickly!" Can't say I agree with that sort of attitude.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#642 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Not really DA2 news, or news at all. More like an impatient player whinging "make my games smaller so I can get through them more quickly!" Can't say I agree with that sort of attitude.

Did you read the editorial? He wasn't saying "Make my games smaller," he was saying "Get rid of the bloat." If you're going to have side-quests, make them interesting side-quests, and don't make me make a special trip to some area I visited three chapters ago to do it. The guy didn't have a problem with a game that's 60 hours long. He had a problem with a game that was 30 hours long padded with 30 hours worth of Mako trips or Merrill's "Excuse the mess." I could see his point. I read every single codex entry and consider them value-added content, but even I get tired of FedEx.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#643 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Did you read the editorial? He wasn't saying "Make my games smaller," he was saying "Get rid of the bloat." If you're going to have side-quests, make them interesting side-quests, and don't make me make a special trip to some area I visited three chapters ago to do it. The guy didn't have a problem with a game that's 60 hours long. He had a problem with a game that was 30 hours long padded with 30 hours worth of Mako trips or Merrill's "Excuse the mess." I could see his point. I read every single codex entry and consider them value-added content, but even I get tired of FedEx.

30 paragraphs just to say "get rid of the bloat"? I'd say, don't waste my time with banal no-news articles. :devil:

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#644 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Did you read the editorial?

Yes, I read it. It was "a waste of my time." :P Ok, maybe he has some valid points, but as far as "streamlining" games, getting rid of sparsely-populated areas, etc.... well, I don't agree. Why not purge half the Baldur's Gate areas for that reason? That's actually one thing I like about BG1 - it's not jam-packed with shoot-em-down let's-make-a-mad-rush-toward-the-finish areas and quests. Granted, I haven't played DA2 (I heard it was lacklustre) but a lot of remarks did not seem specifically aimed at that game, or any game in general.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#645 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

If the first word in the forum link is "opinion", then you should expect an article in that style. And yes, the "news" tag may not be entirely accurate, but I'm not going to create a whole new thread for one or two posts. So when I do my check up around the various sites, you'll occasionally find non-news items here as well. The opinions presented in the articles themselves are irrelevant to me, I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page about my reasons for posting them. :)

#646 quinlan

quinlan
  • 1172 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

While some ElderScrolls players may hate “quick travel” over the last two generations, it’s been a blessing to me. Considering that 95 percent of Skyrim is mostly empty landscape, having the ability to get where I need to be in an instant is classic.

If I hadn't started playing Skyrim, I would agree completely with him. This was my problem with BG1. The same thing still exists in Skyrim, but the graphics are of such a quality and nature/enviroment is drawn up to such a detail, that i have absolutely no problem with travelling from one corner of Skyrim to the other. Suspension of disbelief is much better served when there is balance. A compact game where every area is packed with bad guys and quests, it absolutely not convincing at all, so why should someone play it? We are not talking about shoot 'em up, but about role playing here.

My fantasy story

"Man, in his discussions with other men about questions of religion, statecraft, geography, trade, has always reached a point in the discussion where it has seemed wise to reply to his opponent by disemboweling him or knocking his brains out."

My name is Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., and I think the "Ph.D." stands for "Pouring His Draft."

"The study of modern science today is being done by the brain of primitive man."

#647 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

The opinions presented in the articles themselves are irrelevant to me, I just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page about my reasons for posting them. :)

Yep. :)

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#648 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:19 AM

News:
The Silent Grove #5 Review @ Grey Wardens

#649 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

There's a new David Gaider interview available on YouTube (Geek & Sundry) (running time: 33:33 min). He talks about artistic integrity and the related challenges, also continuing on about the way that BioWare actually develops games. He also covers writers as narrative designers, romances in BioWare games, and more.

#650 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

News:
The Silent Grove #6 Review @ Grey Wardens

#651 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

News:
Looking Back at DA II @ Digitally Downloaded
Level Designer Kaelin Lavallee Interview @ Bio Blog

Edit: Link

Edited by Archmage Silver, 15 May 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#652 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

News:
Faces of Flemeth @ Grey Wardens

#653 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:31 AM

News:
Jennifer Hepler Interview @ Bio Blog

#654 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

News:
Dawn of the Seeker Review @ Grey Wardens

#655 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

News:
Backstabbing Companions: DA II Thoughts @ Grey Wardens

#656 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

News:
Life Goes On @ Grey Wardens

#657 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:02 PM

News:
The Fine Line of Main Character @ Grey Wardens
Appreciation Through Bad Games @ Grey Wardens

#658 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

If you're still playing Dragon Age 2, Dragon Age: Origins or Awakening, the promotional items are now free, just go over to the BioWare Social Network, and then select the platform of your choice.

Dragon Age Promo Items Go Free @ Escapist Magazine

Edited by Eleima, 07 December 2012 - 07:35 PM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#659 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

News:
Thedosian Holidays @ Bio Blog