Photo

Brainstorming for the BWP

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#101 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

It deletes the invitation to the duke's palace from Krystin for example.

Another issue is //Correct price for Protection Cloak +1 (was: 5000 is now: 500). It was always worth 5000.

Moreover why install an outdated mod at all?
Additionally shouldn't it be up to ourselves if we want to have/not have "overpowered" items?
I can only speak for myself, but even if you have those "overpowered" items, you will get your ass handed to you more than once if you do a tactical SCS I+II install.

10th

Edited by 10th, 26 September 2010 - 04:33 PM.

Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#102 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

Another issue is //Correct price for Protection Cloak +1 (was: 5000 is now: 500). It was always worth 5000.

I suspect you have something like the "store prices" from Aurora or the Hard Times mod installed?

Moreover why install an outdated mod at all?

One could argue most mods are outdated, as very few are still actively maintained. But BP Balancer is known to be buggy and out of maintenance - I thought they removed it actually.

Additionally shouldn't it be up to ourselves if we want to have/not have "overpowered" items?

It is up to you - you can choose whichever mods and components you want with the BWS "further customisation" options, or edit your batch file if you're not using BWS. I don't think anyone's forcing a mod on you.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#103 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:47 PM

Would be helpful if someone would maintain that package.
I know someone wanted to create a new balancer some time ago... think it was OneEyedPhoenix.

Critical (for Russian users)
Russian install stalls because there's no line that tests for essential (Russian) BWP-files.

Yeah, him and MM75 were spearheading that. Haven't heard much about it in a while :unsure:

Edited by Hoppy, 26 September 2010 - 08:47 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#104 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

Aside from the Duchal palace invite thing, the balancer also seems to delete a quest-related dagger from BoneHill :(

Maybe OEP and mm75 have a private workroom or something ... hey, we can still keep our hopes up right?? :D ... RIGHT?!?!? :unsure: Personally, I never used the balancer's item-related components - but that doesn't mean I ignore any imba itemz I find :devil:

Edited by Lollorian, 27 September 2010 - 08:42 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#105 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:53 AM

I can only speak for myself, but even if you have those "overpowered" items, you will get your ass handed to you more than once if you do a tactical SCS I+II install.

I don't think so - DavidW said that SCS/II is designed for the 'standard' BG2, rather than for a game with all overpowered item mods ever created. Of course, BWP Tactical is full of mods adding overpowered items and battles that are built for a party with those items, so in BWP-T those overpowered items might be needed and/or highly recommended.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#106 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:15 PM

Another "Install.bat hangs itself-issue" for Russian users
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#107 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:13 AM

I don't think so - DavidW said that SCS/II is designed for the 'standard' BG2, rather than for a game with all overpowered item mods ever created.

Yep: SCS is balanced with the original game in mind.

Having said that, difficulty is very player-relative. SCS, ultimately, is scaled to me: i.e., I find the game about the right difficulty with SCS installed, on Core difficulty, and with no item-enhancing mods installed. (And I think I'm a reasonable but not outstanding tactical player, who's been through the game about three times and who knows the AD&D system pretty well but isn't all that on top of the detailed ways to optimise a BG2 runthrough.) It's too easy for some people. It's too hard for others (by which I mean: too hard for playing BG2 to be fun, not necessarily too hard to be completed full stop.) So maybe there are people out there who want SCS AI (maybe because they dislike stupid behaviour) but then also want overpowered weapons to bring the difficulty down. That's fine with me.

#108 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:42 AM

So maybe there are people out there who want SCS AI (maybe because they dislike stupid behaviour) but then also want overpowered weapons to bring the difficulty down. That's fine with me.

:Bow:

THAT ... should be stickied! :coolthumb:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#109 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

So maybe there are people out there who want SCS AI (maybe because they dislike stupid behaviour) but then also want overpowered weapons to bring the difficulty down. That's fine with me.

The funny thing is that this same modder recently made a comment (and a very valid one) that this sort of thing leads to a vicious circle. The more powerful (or intelligent) your monsters, the more powerful your weapons need to be to defeat them, so you give the monsters the weapons to make them even more powerful to stand up to your (at this point) demonic arsenal, then at this point the now godlike enemies are now practically undefeatable unless you have a hydrogen bomb or something. Which some modder has probably implemented in their overpowered and out-of-character mod :P.

Thing is, overpowered = overpowered by definition. "Powerful" is a different story - obviously there are powerful (and probably even overpowered) weapons even in the unmodded game. As well there should be for a high-level game, but not ridiculous or all over the place.

Getting somewhat back on topic, I thought the old BP Balancer had different options originally, like one not to mess with quest items at all, but only to nuke excessive multiple copies of regular magic weapons, or something like that? It's been a while since I looked at it though.

And yes, OneEyedPhoenix was looking at revising or making a new BP Balancer but that was a while back and he hasn't been around much. I doubt there's a private forum or anything.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#110 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

Line 2130 in the install.bat

Call %INST% ACBre "0" "TYPE ACBre_input.txt"
is missing an %IFG% :D (unless it got a secret eng traslate somehow :lol:)

Edited by Lollorian, 29 September 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#111 Marvin

Marvin

Marvin

• 197 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:33 AM

Well, in a BWP Standard install with some tactic-components (such as CSC + SCSII) I don't use xpmod and the experience settings for spell learning, disarming traps and pick pocket is at 50%. Fpr the BGI portion of the game this is perfectly fine. If I find "clearly overpowered" items, I just don't buy them ( but I think they should really be removed from a standard BWP install).

I can't tell, though, how these settings are going to work out for the BGII version of the game. I do however think that DavidWallace's intentions should count as the "standard" for the BWP. I'm an experienced BG player, but not a tactical genious. I never bothered getting into the exact rules for ADND and even BG or BG2. It somehow always worked out great for me.

The challenge is: fining xp-settings for the BWP, which ensure a difficulty level that is equal to the difficulty of a vanilla game + SCS (SCSII). This should then be the "Standard" or "recommended" difficulty setting. Everything else would be up to each individual player. I know that this is easier said than done and I myself hav no idea of how to do such a thing or if it's even possible. But maybe some of the experienced modders does have a solution.

#112 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

Line 2130 in the install.bat

Call %INST% ACBre "0" "TYPE ACBre_input.txt"
is missing an %IFG% :D (unless it got a secret eng translate somehow :lol:)

In addition to Breager, there's Ascalon's questpack and a host of german/spanish NPC mods that get installed in an english-only game :unsure:

... and the french Severian mod as well :o

Edited by Lollorian, 29 September 2010 - 03:36 AM.

#113 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:03 AM

The challenge is: fining xp-settings for the BWP, which ensure a difficulty level that is equal to the difficulty of a vanilla game + SCS (SCSII). This should then be the "Standard" or "recommended" difficulty setting. Everything else would be up to each individual player. I know that this is easier said than done and I myself hav no idea of how to do such a thing or if it's even possible. But maybe some of the experienced modders does have a solution.

I think it's impossible to guarantee a similar level of difficulty between different mod combinations. The killer problem is that, even if you use DEFJAM to nullify the extra XP you gain from mods' quests (a bad idea, because you then spend two hours killing enemies and doing quests without dinging a single level), Big Mods add tons of overpowered items, and the only real way to balance them out is to remove them from the game (possibly breaking quests).

Edited by the bigg, 29 September 2010 - 04:05 AM.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#114 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:08 AM

There is a discussion goin on here (German) about mods that might be inappropriate in the Standard installation, for several reasons. Overpowered item / store mods is one category discussed.

#115 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:37 AM

How much work would it be to get this script to run on linux with GemRB?
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#116 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

Regarding Jastey's post:
I guess I will set up the same dicussion here. :D
http://www.shsforums...d-installation/

#117 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:56 AM

:Bow:

Though it's probably worth noting that almost anything is fine with me. Using CTRL-Y whenever a fight gets boring is fine with me. Cheating yourself to 30th level is fine with me. I really don't mind how you use SCS, and even if I did mind, I don't see why you should care that I do.

The funny thing is that this same modder recently made a comment (and a very valid one) that this sort of thing leads to a vicious circle. The more powerful (or intelligent) your monsters, the more powerful your weapons need to be to defeat them, so you give the monsters the weapons to make them even more powerful to stand up to your (at this point) demonic arsenal, then at this point the now godlike enemies are now practically undefeatable unless you have a hydrogen bomb or something. Which some modder has probably implemented in their overpowered and out-of-character mod

The only thing I'd say to this is that there's a distinction (albeit, not a totally precise one) between how powerful a monster is and how intelligent it is. SCS aims to make monsters as intelligent as possible. After that it makes some additional difficulty increases. The arms-race point is that if you install more powerful monsters and also more powerful items, not much really changes. But if you install more intelligent monsters and more powerful items, you might get a game that's no more difficult but is more interesting and immersive.

I'm not particularly recommending this - it's just speculation on my part.

#118 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:10 AM

Though it's probably worth noting that almost anything is fine with me. Using CTRL-Y whenever a fight gets boring is fine with me. Cheating yourself to 30th level is fine with me. I really don't mind how you use SCS, and even if I did mind, I don't see why you should care that I do.

I'd assume because it's refreshing to see modders who don't delete threads where people ask for advice or defame/ban people that play their mods not following the officially sanctioned mod's rules.

Edited by the bigg, 29 September 2010 - 07:11 AM.

#119 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

@Lol:

Regarding Foreign languages in English install.

#120 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:53 AM

Note:
DSOA component 1 may be installed twice.
%IFTNS%BPv180.exe Call %INST% DSoA "1 3 5 7"
%IFT% Call %INST% DSoA "1 4 6 8"

Kontweak component 0 and Atweaks have conflicts in batch, in PDF there's this:

Don't install any of the Wizard Slayer components together with Ashes of Embers, Grey Acumen's Kit Improvements, RPG Dungeon Kitpack or Kitanya NPC mods because they also alter the wizard slayer kit.

BPv180 component 16 may be installed twice.
%IFT% Call %INST% BPv180 "16"
%IFN% BWP_No_BP_AI Call %INST% BPv180 "16 17 18 19 20 21"

Edited by dabus, 03 October 2010 - 06:00 AM.