BWP 10.3 tactical. in-game issues

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Srsly, its acceptable to receieve one of those items as a reward for a challenging dungeon at the end of ToB. But to receive ALL of those imbas for FREE from some random NPC at the very beginning of SoA is just disappointing.

Basically, someone just exported their PC after cheating a bunch of overpowered gear onto him and called it an NPC mod. It wouldn't even install without crashing originally (see here for some laughs). Eh, you sure that's in a "Tactics" install? It really belongs in the "Expert" (i.e. buggy/questionable) BWP content.

Exactly, Miloch, looks just like an exporting your lame overpowered PC and calling it an NPC mod which is apparently a "mauvais ton". And yes, it is in tactics install for 10.3 at least.

#42 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

I'm making up a new category for mods like this: Not Recommended (NR) - through there probably won't be many mods in that category.

(on a completely unrelated sidenote, bring Mauro McDouchebag into Small Teeth and have REVENGE, REVENGE ON THOSE DRAGONS!!!!)

Edited by William Imm, 04 April 2012 - 10:42 AM.

At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#43 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

William Imm

I'm making up a new category for mods like this: Not Recommended (NR) - through there probably won't be many mods in that category.

You're making quite a few things at the same time and(no offense) unfortunately I'm not sure you are capable of realizing any of those ambitions due to lack of experience. Like considering "Imoen's Romance" mod "Not recommended"(even though there's already a category for such mods in BWP) only after reading some random opinion and not playing one of the most complex romance mods itself is inappropriate.

#44 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

There was a thread like that here some time ago in which mods like Exnem's Vault with its +10 Final Fantasy and LotR items were relegated to the so-called "Expert" section (edit: or actually, as Suslik says, a subclass of OOC "out-of-character" mods - I forget the exact label). There's no excuse for a mod like this being included in a "Tactics" install, unless he spawned as an enemy and his gear was unlootable.

I thought Clan DLAN had a bit more class than to let stuff like this creep out of their puerta. It's one thing to release all sorts of mods including overpowered item mods under the heading "different strokes for different folks" and "install at your own choice and risk." But to release a mod that wasn't even tested, in which the NPC still had the "exported" flag set (which is a dead giveaway it was someone's PC and also usually crashes the game on an NPC)... well that's just sloppy. ¡Vergüenza! Too bad they're pretty much inactive these days. Though all their mods weren't bad... Haiass was a patently decent release, not because I was involved, but the original modders put true effort and craft behind it without making an overpowered shotgun release.

Edited by Miloch, 04 April 2012 - 11:21 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#45 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Though all their mods weren't bad... Haiass was a patently decent release

Yep. Haiass is fun to run around and apparently far from being imbalanced. Even though it is quite strangely implemented(there's a Haiass block in every area .bcs script).

Btw, Miloch, what's current situation with BWP? I've heard Leomar and Leonardo both canceled supporting the project. So where do such fixes go?

#46 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Fixes should really go in the mods that are causing the issues. It's suboptimal otherwise. Some folks may decide to use a few mods that you're using and perhaps some others; other folks may use even more than you're using. Ideally, they should be able to pick and choose such mods and have them all work, or at least get the latest fixes. In the latest mod mentioned here, I "fixed" the obvious issues in that thread I linked from two years ago (by preventing the NPC from crashing the game) but I'm not going to touch it apart from that (not sure I should've touched it at all, but crashes are bad). The real fix is not installing the mod unless you're really sure you want that sort of thing in your game. Which I think is a good point for all BWP players... you should really read the documentation for each and every mod in your install and make *sure* you want/need it. It might seem like a lot to go through, but it beats getting halfway through the game (or more) and running into a nasty unexpected surprise.

As for the BWP, I have no custodianship of it (sorry - involved in too many other things). I knew Leomar unfortunately hasn't been around for a while, but I thought Leonardo was at least somewhat, on the German forums. The BWFixpack is really just a "band-aid" solution for mods that can't incorporate fixes in a timely manner, but someone needs to take ownership of it if Leonardo is resigning and people are to continue using it.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#47 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

The real fix is not installing the mod unless you're really sure you want that sort of thing in your game.

I disagree. I never check plot-related mods description I install, it's like a plot spoiler for me - I do NOT want to know what I'm going to find in game. So I just rely on BWP and install as many mods as possible.

Fixes should really go in the mods that are causing the issues.

Of course. First of all I check if the mod creator is still active. I'm finding them and addressing the issue to them. But very often such modders are a few years inactive already and the only thing left for us if we want to use their mods(I definitely do) is to fix ourselves.

you should really read the documentation for each and every mod in your install and make *sure* you want/need it. It might seem like a lot to go through, but it beats getting halfway through the game (or more) and running into a nasty unexpected surprise.

The only thing that can ruin my personal game experience is a major change of game rules. So I always try and find any and all mods affecting game balance. No plot-related mod can ruin my experience, just enhance it, and as I mentioned above, I do NOT want to know what to expect of such mods.

Visitors of this thread sometimes treat it in a wrong way. I think this thread may be used as:

1) Place you can google where you encounter a specific in-game trouble. For example you encounter a bug when you cannot learn the spell "Rary's Mnemonic Enhance". You just google it and the first link is to this thread where you can find the reason it happens, you know which mod is responsible and which backup to restore.

2) I always try and report any issue I have found to a mod creator which is responsible. And if the modder is active, they fix it.

Apparently the "worst case" scenario is when the modder responsible for a particular mod which causes a glitch is inactive and the only way to fix it is do it by ourselves. At least I hope my thread will narrow down the search for such issues.

#48 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I never check plot-related mods description I install, it's like a plot spoiler for me

Whoa... so Mawgul is plot-related? My mistake, I totally missed that part of it. But in my defense, I did not examine it too closely after what I discovered about the .cre and item files. I suppose it's possible a copy of the Pentateuch wafted from Earth to Toril. After all, it happened with quasi-Egyptian/Mulhorandi lore etc. I had no idea Weimer had wafted over and was canonised/deified as part of it though...

:crazy:

I don't think there's anything wrong with threads like these, it's just that I (and probably most modders) rarely have time to read them. This one I've made an exception to because it's fairly short (for now :)). But I think you may be misled as to its sticking around any length of time as some kind of guide. Sure, if you enter its terms in google with a domain of shsforums.net, you'll probably get it, because it's current. But it'll be good and buried soon enough, especially in the megamod forum. That post I linked from two years ago was a hot topic at one time, but practically unrecoverable from even a deep search now. Anyway, some of these mod forums are at least semi-active (G3/SR sort of is at least, from what I can tell). Now if it's something with the BWP itself (like a questionable mod being considered "Tactical") then I guess this thread is as good as any. Might be better to have a concise post of such BWP changes though - Leonardo said that was helpful last time we had a thread like that (though it warped to 50 pages or so and probably became unhelpful at some point, but the initial summary was a good effort anyway).

#49 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Whoa... so Mawgul is plot-related?

Well, knowing even the NPC name that I can encounter is spoiling for me. While actually choosing which mods I would want and which I would not(if any) I'd probably spoil far more than this from their descriptions. You can call this weird, probably i was bitten by a spoiler in early childhood lol.

I don't think there's anything wrong with threads like these, it's just that I (and probably most modders) rarely have time to read them. This one I've made an exception to because it's fairly short (for now )

Oh oh, no need to read the whole thread! I keep updating the first post, where all issues are categorized to minor/major and fixed/workarounded/unfixed, so that one does not need to read all that discussion. And I'm trying my best at posting those issues at each mod's particular discussion thread.

#50 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

"Treaty of swordsmanship"/SGBOOK01.ITM bug[Not fixed] the book adds a proficiency point which can be nevertheless removed back by any magic-dispelling effect.

Reason: the book casts a spell SGSPL01.SPL on the user, which adds a dispellable effect of proficiency addition. The item and spell are from mod called Munchmod.

#51 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

Sion(the slaver)/HLSION.CRE bug[Not fixed] - the slaver guy from government district shows how he kills an amnish soldier and then he is supposed to teleport upstairs, but he "has nothing to say"

Reason: in Tactics mod, the dialog option that's supposed to send him to second floor is following:
SetGlobal("TalkedToHlsion","GLOBAL",3)

But that value is never used anywhere after that, so he just stays his ground.

Edited by Suslik, 07 April 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#52 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

"Treaty of swordsmanship"/SGBOOK01.ITM bug[Not fixed] the book adds a proficiency point which can be nevertheless removed back by any magic-dispelling effect.

Reason: the book casts a spell SGSPL01.SPL on the user, which adds a dispellable effect of proficiency addition. The item and spell are from mod called Munchmod.

Attached fix :) Both the Treaty (Treatise?? :unsure:) of Swordsmanship and the Magical Book of the Warrior were affected :D

Set the Non-dispellable/Ignores Resistances (0) flag for all of its casting actions in ALL OF THEIR SPELLS :woot:

Sion(the slaver)/HLSION.CRE bug[Not fixed] - the slaver guy from government district shows how he kills an amnish soldier and then he is supposed to teleport upstairs, but he "has nothing to say"

Reason: in Tactics mod, the dialog option that's supposed to send him to second floor is following:

SetGlobal("TalkedToHlsion","GLOBAL",3)

But that value is never used anywhere after that, so he just stays his ground.

There's a proximity trigger in the area that sets TalkedToHlsion to 4 when you walk over it :) Also, this is from vanilla BGII not Tactics :P

I don't see how he's supposed to move to the second floor though :unsure: As in... I don't see any code that moves him...

Attached Files

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#53 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:19 AM

Lollorian
Hey Lol, how safe is such effect? Like is adding a spell that is set to non-dispellable considered truly can be never ever be undone? Or should I be afraid of some kind, idk, priests that cast restoration/dispel/cure? Dispel traps? Anti-magic shell that dispels everything?

Anyway thanks a lot for the fix and for clarification on Sion.

#54 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

I just took a look at how the vanilla Tomes of Attribute Increasing worked :P They seem to use non-dispellable casting actions so I figured these were intended to work like them (since the items seem to vanish when used yeah? :D)

IMHO setting the dispellability to 0 means the effect becomes non-magical and cannot be dispelled and stuff :P Well according to this anyway :ermm:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#55 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

That's great. I was starting to get tired of constantly using Spell Immunity : Abjuration on myself so that proficiency points are not dispelled. And even with that sometimes a weird kind of dispel magic is cast which bypasses Spell Immunity on all party members at the beginning of a few Tactics battles. I'll check the fix and tell you the results in-game.

#56 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

And I still cannot report "Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer/SCRX41.itm/SPWI975.spl bug" to SR forum because of database error when posting a message. Though there are new posts and apparently other people can post on g3. What am I doing wrong?

Problem reported. It seems like I had to sign into my account in order to post a message, otherwise I got an error.

Edited by Suslik, 08 April 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#57 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Olmar's castle bug(RoT)[Not fixed][Workaround is provided]
If I take Olmar's side, then at the point when my party is transitioned to Talavar's castle, I get endless cutscene-loop and my party keeps being teleported to their default spots
Reason: in RR3410.bcs there's a check if the party is ready to be teleported to the next location:
IF
	Global("Olmsidthebat","GLOBAL",14)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		StartCutSceneMode()
		HideGUI()
		StartCutScene("TallsDe") //this cutscene teleports the party to RR3454.are
END
but since the value of "Olmsidthebat" is never changed, the block is going to be fired endlessly.

Workaround:
add
SetGlobal("Olmsidthebat","GLOBAL",15)
to the main block in TallsDe.bcs

Edited by Suslik, 09 April 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#58 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Dawnbringer Sain not spawning bug[Not fixed][Workaround is provided]
During the quest "Another mission for the temple" I am supposed to go to the temple of Lathander and talk to Dawnbringer Sain. But he is absent.

Reason: mod "Divine Remix" component 100 "Cleric Remix: v7 ToD Compatibility Fix" adds a block to AR0209.bcs:
IF
Global("SainSpawn","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("SainSpawn","GLOBAL",2)
END
which prevents normal spawning mechanism from firing:
IF
Global("TelwynSent","GLOBAL",1)
Global("SainSpawn","GLOBAL",0) //not fired since the value is set to 2 for me
THEN
RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("SainSpawn","GLOBAL",1)
CreateCreature("SCSAIN",[642.627],0) // Dawnbringer Sain
ActionOverride("scsain",SetNumTimesTalkedTo(1))
END

Workaround: either restore ar0902.bcs from Divine_Remix/backup/100 or CreateCreature("scsain") manually

Update: reported to g3 forums

Edited by Suslik, 11 April 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#59 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

And update on Lollorian's fix for "Treaty of Swordsmanship". I have read the book and checked if the effect can be dispelled by "Dispel magic" it cannot. I continued to play happily for a few days and now I have discovered that my second "+" in weapon proficiency is gone. I cannot figure out particular circumstances that caused me to lose the proficiency point, but there are two important things:
1) Proficiency points still can be lost under unknown circumstances
2) I am working on determining those circumstances.

#60 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

And update on Lollorian's fix for "Treaty of Swordsmanship". I have read the book and checked if the effect can be dispelled by "Dispel magic" it cannot.

The problem with that item is that it calls a spell which in turn calls an external effect (wholly unnecessary AFAICT since it could've put the effect right on the item) so you'll have to check that on all three files (sgbook01.itm, sgspl01.spl, sglsw.eff).

Also note that opcode (#233 Proficiency Modifier) cannot increase or decrease proficiencies, it can only set them.