Wasteland 2

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

Wasteland 2, a sequel to the original Wasteland (1988), is being planned to be put into motion via Kickstarter by Brian Fargo (RPS Newsbit). Crowdfunded... this could be great or really bad.

The game would be a PC release, with, according to the man’s own Twittertalk, a “complete old school vibe and made with input from gamers. Made the gamers way.”

More good #Wasteland news! The original producer, programmer and designer Alan Pavlish has also joined the team.

#2 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

That could be quite interesting. If they can maintain the momemtum for fundraising and subsequently, development then it could be a successful project. Modernised, old school style, rpg developed specifically for the pc. Sounds good. :)
Also if it works it(kickstarter) could be another, potential, avenue for semi-indie developers wanting adequate funding.
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:57 PM

That could be quite interesting. If they can maintain the momemtum for fundraising and subsequently, development then it could be a successful project. Modernised, old school style, rpg developed specifically for the pc. Sounds good. :)
Also if it works it(kickstarter) could be another, potential, avenue for semi-indie developers wanting adequate funding.

If Kickstarter really starts to pick up speed, look for Google to buy it. You heard it here first.

#4 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:44 PM

If Kickstarter really starts to pick up speed, look for Google to buy it. You heard it here first.

Don't say that! Heh. You're probably right though. *sigh*
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Of course I'm right. :P

Brian Fargo was interviewed by No Mutants Allowed.

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

Wasteland 2 is the official name of the project, and the site should be up on Monday according to No Mutants Allowed. Kickstarter project page to follow after an approval process.

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Wasteland 2 site has been launched - comes with forums.

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Update:

Planning to submit our #Wasteland 2 #Kickstarter page/video on Friday and then go through their approval process which we hope is short.

In other Wasteland 2 news we have brought back another designer from Wasteland.. Mr. Ken St. Andre..also creator of Tunnels and Trolls.

Wasteland 2 RPG Codex Interview - Part 1: Brian Fargo
Wasteland 2 RPG Codex Interview - Part 2: Michael A. Stackpole

Edited by Archmage Silver, 07 March 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Proposed Kickstarter rewards have been posted on the official Wasteland 2 forums:

Pledge $15 (unlimited)
Copy of game free via Steam for PC. You will also get a special skill and weapon only available to those who helped fund the project.

Pledge $30 (unlimited)
Previous reward + Downloadable free digital soundtrack of the game.

Pledge $50 (unlimited)
Previous reward + Full large boxed copy of Wasteland 2, complete with cloth game map and old school comprehensive instruction manual.

Pledge $75 (unlimited)
Previous rewards + Early release episodic Novella’s on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game. Also, get premier access to an early playable beta on Steam

Pledge $100 (unlimited)
Previous rewards + collector’s edition boxed version of game with in-game soundtrack, old school comprehensive instruction manual with back story. Contains premium box, wasteland miniature, and a Wasteland 2 faction badge. Also get your name the credits in a Special Thanks section.

Pledge $150 (unlimited)
Previous rewards +a limited edition numbered collectible coin.

Pledge $250 (1000 max)
Previous rewards + Autographed boxed collectors edition copy of the game by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish, Mike Stackpole and other key development team members. You will also receive 2 digital download copies (so you can leave your collectors edition sealed up!) and a lvl 1 Desert Ranger medal of honor (real metal medal) limited edition collectible.

Pledge $500 (500 max)
Previous rewards + Wasteland Doomsday Preparation Survival Kit. All your doomsday needs in a themed Wasteland collectible bag. You’ll also receive a lvl 2 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $1000 (150 max)
Previous rewards + Become an NPC, Weapon or Location in the Wasteland 2 world! We will get your name and (if relevant) a picture of you to add your general likeness to the actual shipped game. Brag to your friends and beg them not to take you out with a Meson Cannon. You’ll also receive 5 digital copies of the game and a lvl 3 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $2500 (100 max)
Previous rewards + An exploded blood sausage Wasteland limited signed and numbered collectible figurine. You’ll also receive 10 digital copies of the game to do what you want and of course, a lvl 4 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $5000 (15 max)
Previous rewards +We will build a statue in game, in your honor. After getting a picture of you, we will carefully craft this in game statue. You are now forever a part of Wasteland history. At this level, we will also sign and frame actual original concept art from the game. With 30 digital copies of Wasteland 2, you will be a hit with your friends. You will also receive a lvl 5 Desert ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Pledge $10,000 (8 max)
Previous rewards + Come to a private party hosted by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish and other key members of the Wasteland team (must be able to travel to Newport Beach, CA). Talk design, previous works or anything else you’d like to discuss. Also, a shrine in Wasteland 2 will be erected in your honor. You’ll receive 50 copies of the game to do what you want, and of course, a lvl 6 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Also on the news:

Just received confirmation that Andree Wallin will be doing concept art for #Wasteland 2. He is fantastic! Great news! http://pic.twitter.com/NEd4C8PN

Edited by Archmage Silver, 12 March 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#10 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

As expected, Wasteland 2 was approved by Kickstarter. It has already been funded for over one million one hundred thousand USD when they only set out to get 900 000 USD. Wasteland 2 is for real now. It took them all of two days to get the most money ever on Kickstarter. Do I dare to get excited about this? ...

I’m personally a big fan of the Wasteland series from having played the original game in the late 80s; I’ve also always admired Brian Fargo’s courage to experiment with new designs and game engines from my time working with him in the early days of BioWare when we worked with Interplay, and as a result I’m really looking forward to seeing the next game in the Wasteland series!

Hats off to Fargo and inXile, I'm definitely putting my money down when they start up their Kickstarter fund, and I'll donate just as much as I did to Double Fine. Give me Wasteland 2 already.

Brian was one of the pioneers for the computer RPG with games like Bard's Tale and Wasteland. I would be very excited to see what Brian could achieve with a sequel to such a classic like the first Wasteland.

Posted Image

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

News:
Brian Fargo Interview @ Massively
Brian Fargo Interview @ GameZone

#12 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Pledge $10,000 (8 max)
Previous rewards + Come to a private party hosted by Brian Fargo, Alan Pavlish and other key members of the Wasteland team (must be able to travel to Newport Beach, CA). Talk design, previous works or anything else you’d like to discuss. Also, a shrine in Wasteland 2 will be erected in your honor. You’ll receive 50 copies of the game to do what you want, and of course, a lvl 6 Desert Ranger medal of honor limited edition collectible.

Haha freakishly awesome! I wonder if he houseparties of Fargo is anything like the Playboy mansion... :P

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Party with Mountain Dew and tabletop D&D?

News:
Brian Fargo Interview @ GameBanshee

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Brian Fargo says Wasteland 2 will have Mac and Linux versions as well:

BTW we are close enough to $1.5 that we will commit to creating the Mac and Linux versions! Keep that support coming! http://www.kickstart...land-2?ref=live

#15 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

News:
Update #5 @ Kickstarter
Update #6 @ Kickstarter
Update #6 Clarification @ Brian Fargo's Blog
Multiplayer & DLC Answers @ No Mutants Allowed
Liz Danforth: From Wasteland to Wasteland 2 @ Liz Danforth's Blog

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

News:
Update #8 @ Kickstarter
Brian Fargo Interview @ RPS
Brian Fargo Interview @ Ripten
Brian Fargo Interview @ NowGamer
Avellone Interview @ GameBanshee
Update #7: Chris Avellone To Assist @ Kickstarter

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:14 AM

News:
Update #9 @ Kickstarter
Over 2 Million USD, 43K Backers @ Kickstarter

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

News:
Chris Avellone Interview @ RPS
Update #10: First Concept Art @ Kickstarter

#19 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

First Wasteland 2 concept art:

Posted Image

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

I like how they're picturing the game so far. Also: choices with real consequences? I'd like to see that for once - it's such an underused feature in modern RPGs. With that said, I've now personally backed up the project for 15$ - it's not a bad price for the digital version of the game without DRM. Actually it's pretty darn good.

News:
Opinion: inXile Better Off Without Publisher @ Gamasutra
Michael Stackpole on Wasteland 2 @ Michaelstackpole.com