• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

So I'm looking through the english .tra files for clues, and I find this:

@11 = ~Fishing for Trouble: The Demon in the Lighthouse

The tanar'ri laughed at us for failing to pass the Traps of the Living, then told us to talk to someone called Ceinwen Ravenhair who, it appears, lives somewhere in the Government District of Athkatla.~

@17 = ~Fishing for Trouble: The Demon in the Lighthouse

We found a tanar'ri trapped on the top floor of the lighthouse at Porthpentyrch. It seems that a Red Wizard, Olren of Thay, made a mess of the incantation to call him and now the tanar'ri needs our help to get back to his own plane. He laughed at us for failing to pass the Traps of the Living, then told us to talk to someone called Ceinwen Ravenhair who, it appears, lives somewhere in the Slums District of Athkatla.~

--

Say what? Is this guy in two different places, or is that an entry typo?

#22 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:04 PM

The word 'finished' is misspelled in entry @46

#23 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

So I finally used the console to make Ailtoh Tam spawn, which seems to have reset what I needed, after conversation with him.

I strongly suggest the journal entry @37 be changed to the following:

@37=~Fishing for Trouble: The Black Lotus Caravan

Finally we have some hard facts about the black lotus trade that has sprung up along the Sword Coast. The Red Wizard Ailoth Tam confirmed that Homen Odesseiron was behind the trade and that the main shipment point was Athkatla. The shipment is being handled by Maredudd Bengoch in the docks district of Athkatla. Ailoth Tam also revealed that the tanar'ri could be returned to his plane by one Garalial Geltarath, an ex-Harper, located in the west end of the Government district of Athkatla. ~

#24 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:37 PM

Next suggestion: In the dialogue with Angharad Firehair she mentions Ceinwen Ravenhair. If you used the Boots of Speed to bypass the traps of the living, you'll never need to find Ravenhair, in which case this makes no sense. I suggest setting a variable the first time the player speaks to Ravenhair, and checking it when speaking with Firehair. If not set, have Firehair say something else.

#25 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

The conversation with Garalial also somehow skipped all the exposition and went direction to: ~Talk to Angharad, <CHARNAME>, talk to Angharad.~ and then with Firehair all I could do was the orb (no talk of 30k GP etc)

#26 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

Why does Maredudd Bengoch wear an armor with an AC of 3 and all of his guards use armor with AC 0? That seems... odd.

#27 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:31 AM

So I'm looking through the english .tra files for clues, and I find this:

@11 = ~Fishing for Trouble: The Demon in the Lighthouse

The tanar'ri laughed at us for failing to pass the Traps of the Living, then told us to talk to someone called Ceinwen Ravenhair who, it appears, lives somewhere in the Government District of Athkatla.~

@17 = ~Fishing for Trouble: The Demon in the Lighthouse

We found a tanar'ri trapped on the top floor of the lighthouse at Porthpentyrch. It seems that a Red Wizard, Olren of Thay, made a mess of the incantation to call him and now the tanar'ri needs our help to get back to his own plane. He laughed at us for failing to pass the Traps of the Living, then told us to talk to someone called Ceinwen Ravenhair who, it appears, lives somewhere in the Slums District of Athkatla.~

--

Say what? Is this guy in two different places, or is that an entry typo?

Different responses to the demon get you different journal entries. It's not a typo.

Why does Maredudd Bengoch wear an armor with an AC of 3 and all of his guards use armor with AC 0? That seems... odd.

Because he can afford it and they can't?  :D

Next suggestion: In the dialogue with Angharad Firehair she mentions Ceinwen Ravenhair. If you used the Boots of Speed to bypass the traps of the living, you'll never need to find Ravenhair, in which case this makes no sense. I suggest setting a variable the first time the player speaks to Ravenhair, and checking it when speaking with Firehair. If not set, have Firehair say something else.

I thought I'd cleaned all those conversations - thank you for finding that one

So I finally used the console to make Ailtoh Tam spawn, which seems to have reset what I needed, after conversation with him.

I strongly suggest the journal entry @37 be changed to the following:

@37=~Fishing for Trouble: The Black Lotus Caravan

Finally we have some hard facts about the black lotus trade that has sprung up along the Sword Coast. The Red Wizard Ailoth Tam confirmed that Homen Odesseiron was behind the trade and that the main shipment point was Athkatla. The shipment is being handled by Maredudd Bengoch in the docks district of Athkatla. Ailoth Tam also revealed that the tanar'ri could be returned to his plane by one Garalial Geltarath, an ex-Harper, located in the west end of the Government district of Athkatla. ~

Good idea.

The conversation with Garalial also somehow skipped all the exposition and went direction to: ~Talk to Angharad, <CHARNAME>, talk to Angharad.~ and then with Firehair all I could do was the orb (no talk of 30k GP etc)

Which version are you using? I thought that was fixed, unless I've managed to revert the problem.

Edited by Yovaneth, 13 January 2014 - 04:31 AM.

#28 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

So he buys _less effective_ gear than his guards? That's not right.

Which version are you using? I thought that was fixed, unless I've managed to revert the problem.

Most recent version, v2.8.

#29 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

I have further journal entry suggestions:

@3 = ~Fishing for Trouble: Find Elminster

I found Elminster in Trademeet and he was not happy with Lief's news. He has asked me to look into a 'minor' problem for him - the 'problem' with Elminster's 'minor problems' is that they are never simple - or minor. I am to travel to the town of Porthpentrych and investigate why the villagers are missing.~

@4 = ~Fishing for Trouble: Find Elminster

I finally agreed with Elminster to look into a 'minor' problem for him - the 'problem' with Elminster's 'minor problems' is that they are never simple - or minor. I am to travel to the town of Porthpentrych and investigate why the villagers are missing.~

@32 = ~Fishing for Trouble: The Demon in the Lighthouse

According to the tanar'ri, Olren of Thay thought to summon four demons to protect four wagonloads of black lotus bound for the underside of the Sword Coast. The tanar'ri also mentioned the Twin Towers north of Crimmor. It seems some Red Wizards have actually joined together in the hope of causing untold misery in exchange for gold. They were last known to be heading for Cerendor Hold, north of Trademeet. I should travel there to investigate.~

@33=~Fishing for Trouble: The Black Lotus Caravan

The Red Wizards have been shipping black lotus through Cerendor Hold for quite some time and have now taken over the hold as a staging point. The Caravan Master has asked for our help to free the hold and I agreed. The guard is imprisoned in the basement and will help us if we can free them. We are to give him the signal when we are ready to attack.~

@35=~Fishing for Trouble: Cerendor Hold

I have changed my mind about not helping the Caravan Master of Cerendor Hold. The guard is imprisoned in the basement and will help us if we can free them. We are to give him the signal when we are ready to attack.~

@36=~Fishing for Trouble: Cerendor Hold

We successfully cleared out Cerendor Hold and have hopefully dealt a heavy blow to Homen Odesseiron's ambitions on the Sword Coast. We also captured a Red Wizard named Ailoth Tam who gave us some very interesting information; he confirmed that the caravan is only one day ahead and moving very slowly. We may yet catch it near the Cloudpeak Mountains if we hurry.~

@47 =~Fishing for Trouble: Restore Porthpentyrch

The renegade has successfully lifted the curse on Porthpentyrch. Now to find Elminster and take the credit for it. Elminster should be staying in the Inn of the Seven Vales in Athkatla.~

#30 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:45 PM

Other suggestions:

@423 = ~You could burn something in this, if you wanted to.~

--

Suggested new journal entry to trigger when the Black Lotus is burned in the fire:

@62 =~Fishing for Trouble: The Black Lotus Caravan

I have found the Black Lotus caravan in the Cloudpeak Mountains. After defeating the caravan guards and a particularly mean dwarf,I burned the shipment of Black Lotus. Based on the information from Ailoth Tam, my next step should be to find Maredudd Bengoch in the docks district of Athkatla and ‘convince’ him to end the shipments of Black Lotus through the region.~

#31 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

Typo: @2458 = ~I am Lady Elizabeth Pavaral, an emmissary from the great city of Waterdeep. I have been sent to this barbaric city to help bridge the misunderstandings between our two peoples. Now that you know of my importance, get out of my room!! No - wait...~

(Emissary only has one 'm')

#32 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:27 PM

Small visual bug in Portthpentrych (or however you spell that), just south of the cave entrance. Attaching screenshot file.

Attached File  Baldr000.bmp   3.71MB   418 downloads

#33 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Next problem: Apparently I need a Harper.

1) Jaheira is not in my game. She's gone, for good, after I kicked her out early on. 

2) The Harper subquest is done, and the Harper hold door is locked.

What now?

#34 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:48 PM

Next suggestion, change @59 to the following:

@59 = ~Fishing for Trouble: Elizabeth Pavaral's Flamedance Ring

I have promised to find the thieves who stole Lady Pavaral's flamedance ring. She claimed the thieves vanished into a sewer grate.~

#35 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

Issue with the subquest regarding the flamedance ring. You have Oengus spawning in AR0306. If the player has turned against the Shadow Thieves, this area is no longer accessible; the Shadow Thief HQ is now areas AR0327, AR0328, etc.

This makes the quest impossible to complete.

#36 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Burnt Lotus = the end of that thread in the drug plot.

Dead/imprisoned Bengoch = end of the drug plot.

I need a savegame from you where you talk to Angharad and Garalial - I need to check the variables. That's what's holding you up; missing exposition again. It doesn't matter if there are non-canon NPCs in the savegame.

Yes, the journal entries do leave something to be desired at times. As for going back and getting an acknowledgement response: it's one of those 'nice to have' things. It doesn't happen in the canon game.

#37 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

I need a savegame from you where you talk to Angharad and Garalial - I need to check the variables. That's what's holding you up; missing exposition again. It doesn't matter if there are non-canon NPCs in the savegame.

There you go. 

Attached Files

#38 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:57 AM

Issue with the subquest regarding the flamedance ring. You have Oengus spawning in AR0306. If the player has turned against the Shadow Thieves, this area is no longer accessible; the Shadow Thief HQ is now areas AR0327, AR0328, etc.

This makes the quest impossible to complete.

Deliberate. If the Shadow Thieves are against you then there's no way you can make conversation. Yes... it should get a journal entry. Or another dialog path.

Edited by Yovaneth, 15 January 2014 - 03:58 AM.

#39 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

So he buys _less effective_ gear than his guards? That's not right.

I read that the wrong way round, didn't I? Will fix it.

And... I can't guarantee to get to this lot soon but thanks for a comprehensive bug and problem report.

Edited by Yovaneth, 15 January 2014 - 04:01 AM.

#40 ibanix

ibanix
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

No problem. Any idea about the Harper? I'm dead-ended there.

I spawned Jaheria with the console, but her dialogue tree is entirely broken.