Valen Romance

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#41 Trau

Trau
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 05:37 PM

I fail to see how it would be a change in her personality. Her nature, to me, seems very weak and submissive. Once body has given her up or died, she would be inclined to take orders from another, possibly a lover. Either way, there are other changes in the game. Sarevok fights by your side, Viconia can change her alignment if you work her right. Who woulda thunk that anyone would change Viconia?

#42 Khelia

Khelia
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 06:41 AM

Having played Valen now, I would like to throw in my two cents, and yes I would like to see her romanceable. She has some good dialogue with a lot of folks, BUT the PC, so some added talk with the PC which can include off-romance/use the vampire would be a plus I believe.

When would be the idea time? After the death of Bodhi when she?s lost her mistress, that would be a good time for an evil PC to step in and take over as her master/mistress. Should Valen change from evil to neutral/good, NO! Why? If you?re working for Bodhi and have Valen in your party, most likely your PC is evil, why would they change her? Evil people need/want love too. Is this really a romance type of mod I?m looking at, I?ll say no, not in your classic romance, its an evil PC working on binding a powerful fighter/thief to themselves. That can have some interesting dialogue I believe, since you have to make sure that you appear more powerful and deserving than Valen, plus with Valen being evil and a vampire, can you really be good (Not that you?ll want to) without losing Valen?

I would like to see something like this just to have more interaction between Valen and the PC, that?s my two cents.

#43 Auvrin

Auvrin
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 November 2002 - 10:13 AM

I just played Valen through again, and I have a few suggestions that go against my first time reaction to a romance. First off, I think Valen needs to be alittle more banter heavy.. It would add a bit more flavor and show the people just how evil she is. (Or even show she has potential to be trusted)

I still stand strongly with the idea of turning either Imoen or the PC into her new Master/Mistress. It would be a bit more realistic to have her stay with the party for a new reason rather then the command of a dead Mistress that stabbed her in the back twice. Besides, she wouldn't have any of the ties to her once she's dead.

At first, I said that she shouldn't be romancable. After playing it again, I see why I answered it the way I did. She needs more character to her. I believe someone said the same thought that came to mind when I was going through again "She's more an animal then a NPC". I think this is just simply due to the fact the PC doesn't have much interaction with her aside from telling her not to go berzerk. If you added a bit more character to her, I could honestly see her being romancable, but I also think it should be an OPTION.. Her romance wouldn't be anything near the same as the other NPC's, due to the fact she is a vampire. However, she is without her Mistress at that point, she's more then likely lost at what to do next. No one said it has to be a happy ending for the romance, and to be honest I would be disapointed if it were. I would suggest, to have Valen turn to the PC for guidence, and try to learn how to live on her own.. The PC being evil of course could abuse this and just outright turn her into a personal tool or actualy try to help her. It would of course be a constant struggle for her to not drain the PC of their blood.. Which in the end she could be killed for or even leave the party because she can't handle the temptation. Just some ideas.
Of all things in this world... Our self built cages, are our worst design of hell.

Fear me simply because I'm blunt and honest.

*WARNING* I am rated R for suggestive themes and violent material. If you need a warning label don't leave home, cause there isn't a warning label on your front door.

Posted Image

-Pain is beatiful.-Posted Image

#44 chevalier des Trois-Tours

chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 04:09 PM

And what GOOD charicter would take Valen? Or side with Bhodi, for that matter?

Hehe, Lucas the Cavallier would. Normally an ethos violation, but he *does* see some chance for her redemption :D. His having 20 charisma and 22 wisdom, this *does* make any sense.

Although no siding with body. Hope it's possible to get Valen w/o Bodhi. For example if we kill Bodhi she's no longer Valen's mistress.

Anyway redemption does not necessarily mean removing vampirism. Although this could still be possible in Aumantor's temple as a part of abduction by Bodhi quest just like I did with Aerie. Suggestions only, of course, Westley Weimer's in charge.
In the year of Our Lord two thousand and second at the seventh day of December the saint Ganeo did from heaven descend and unto the noble lord Lucas such he spoke words, lowering the holy arm in which he held the chalice: 'Pious paladin and beloved son of mine. Take ye the very chalice and upon his flowing streams found ye this noble order'. This said, the saint extended the holy arm in which he held the chalice and bade him drink. When the noble lord Lucas received the last drop, the saint raised the holy arm in which he held the chalice and blessed the order.

[frater Dormitius 'De illustribus conditoribus ordinis equestris sancti Ganeonis']

#45 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 04:13 PM

You think it would be trashing it. Maybe other people would actually enjoy a well written Vampire romance? Rather then just "getting into a Vampire's pants."

I fully support you. Some guys give the impression that they need a full-time whore NPC rather than a romanceable one.

Also people generally tend to believe she's a walking corpse with no personality. How narrowminded. Have you any idea of reasons behind becoming a vampire or even of there being anything more than just waking up the day after your death? The full scope of vampire's inner life is beyond standard human experience. Unless it's a far degraded vampire form, but Valen apparently isn't (those don't even speak). Does she really have to justify her actions? Before whom? You maybe? Or to care about any rationale? Sacrifice her personality, emotions and feelings for the sake of someone's ideas of her being unable to have any? Allow me please to leave those as rhetorical questions.

In case you haven't noticed, stranger things happen in real life.
In the year of Our Lord two thousand and second at the seventh day of December the saint Ganeo did from heaven descend and unto the noble lord Lucas such he spoke words, lowering the holy arm in which he held the chalice: 'Pious paladin and beloved son of mine. Take ye the very chalice and upon his flowing streams found ye this noble order'. This said, the saint extended the holy arm in which he held the chalice and bade him drink. When the noble lord Lucas received the last drop, the saint raised the holy arm in which he held the chalice and blessed the order.

[frater Dormitius 'De illustribus conditoribus ordinis equestris sancti Ganeonis']

#46 thecursed

thecursed

Just a ghost from the past

• 680 posts

Posted 05 December 2002 - 04:22 PM

how about a romance that would end up her turning back to human? first alignment change then you convince her the only way to carry on your growing love is to abandon undead power. quest to get the ingredientd to a certain temple,.... of course this would mean the end of the super vampire, but it would be an intersting choice for the player
"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune.... they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures"
Gerrard of the Weatherlight

Wisdom: Distinguish the extraordinary from the spectacular

Beware My ever shifting avatar!!

#47 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 09:44 AM

Although no siding with body. Hope it's possible to get Valen w/o Bodhi.

No. You have to side with Bodhi, or Valen will never join you.

And if she does join you, she'll kill a lot of innocent people, starting with the little boy from the Umar Hills, going on to the entire population of the Temple of Lathander and Order of the Radiant Heart, and concluding (at least in SoA...) with four vampire hunters. Valen is evil and vicious--a monster in every sense. If you want to roleplay Good, taking her along is out of the question.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#48 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 10:36 AM

How about an Evil option in which Solaufein remains Undead and takes over Valen? After all, he claimed he'd have been Bodhi's master in a few more days; what problem would Valen be to him? Save the PC the trouble of negotiating that cold, clammy, level-draining skin...
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#49 Kiki

Kiki

Philosopher Queen in training

• 499 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 11:16 AM

This has to be the best Valen Romance idea I've ever seen. Then they can leave the party together and Wes will no longer have to listen to people whining about not-enough-Sola-content (guilty as charged) OR why-can't-I-get-lucky-with-Valen.
Placetne, magistra?

#50 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 06 December 2002 - 04:16 PM

This has to be the best Valen Romance idea I've ever seen. Then they can leave the party together and Wes will no longer have to listen to people whining about not-enough-Sola-content (guilty as charged) OR why-can't-I-get-lucky-with-Valen.

With your permission, I advise you to read posts before replying to them.

#51 alustriel

alustriel

Seething little ball of hate...

• 240 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 11:57 AM

:huh:

Maybe it's just me but I'm pretty SURE she did read the post when replying... :rolleyes: Maybe you misunderstood Kiki's post....?? :P
<center>Madness...<br>Tempest of the Witch

"Arr, ph34r me leet skillz, ye scurvy dogs, or shiver me timbers if I don't pwnzor the lot of ye! One one one and a bottle of rum!

Avast, ye scurvy n00bs! STFU and prepare to be pwned!!!11!!1!"</center>

Vero: In Halo... "I done kilted you!"
Alustriel: So.. he puts a man-skirt on his victims? Dooood.. That's just harsh!
Vero: LOL

#52 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 01:28 PM

:huh:

Maybe it's just me but I'm pretty SURE she did read the post when replying... :rolleyes: Maybe you misunderstood Kiki's post....?? :P

I'm afraid I did not misunderstand her. I strongly insist that I am not whining nor is 'why-can't-I-get-lucky-with-Valen' an appropriate summary of what I said. Regards.

#53 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 01:31 PM

I doubt you should take that bit personally. She's just rather whimsically summarizing all male reaction to the idea of Valen romance in the phrase.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#54 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 01:38 PM

I doubt you should take that bit personally.  She's just rather whimsically summarizing all male reaction to the idea of Valen romance in the phrase.

While I agree with you, I also believe that making spiteful comments is not a good way of showing off oneself. The effect is quite contrary, I'm afraid.

#55 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 01:52 PM

Nah. If she's American that certainly wouldn't be considered spiteful, just mildly flippant. Especially since it's just an aside - her main point being that Wes Weimer could use an Undead Sola-Valen affair to get out doing two different things that apparently he doesn't much want to do. So don't let it ruffle any feathers, my friend, because there certainly was no such intent and on these boards you've got to make allowances for that.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#56 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 02:06 PM

Nah. If she's American that certainly wouldn't be considered spiteful, just mildly flippant. Especially since it's just an aside - her main point being that Wes Weimer could use an Undead Sola-Valen affair to get out doing two different things that apparently he doesn't much want to do. So don't let it ruffle any feathers, my friend, because there certainly was no such intent and on these boards you've got to make allowances for that.

Even without intent, people should care about their words. Or I am stuffy and outdated. Take one of these two according to your liking.

#57 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 02:54 PM

Even without intent, people should care about their words. Or I am stuffy and outdated. Take one of these two according to your liking.

Ya know, there is an unexcluded middle ground between the alternatives you posit.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#58 chevalier des Trois-Tours

Just a paladin

• 244 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 03:04 PM

Ya know, there is an unexcluded middle ground between the alternatives you posit.

Hehe, not quite right. Tertium non datur. Just an alternative :D But I suppose we're spamming the topic. I'm done with this I suppose.

#59 Auvrin

Auvrin
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 December 2002 - 12:56 AM

Valen... In my personal opinion, I would say aim for her finding herself on her own, or calling the PC or Imoen Master/Mistress with the loss of Miss B. (no pun intended). A romance with a killer wouldn't hold any flavor, except for maybe the PC's tainted blood. She wouldn't hold back the urge to kill someone when getting to close to her. She was meant to be a killer, that's hard to change, and can't be changed if the person isn't willing. Valen was VERY obviously meant to be evil, considering you have to side with Miss B. to even get her. Then you also have to take a huge rep loss for killing the paladins. An evil character would strive for power, and if it wasn't power for themselves, it would be power they could use within another person. 'De-vamping' and romance aren't really part of the grand evil plan, and if you want seduction, expect to be dead in the morning. The only thing a vampire would want from a warm body is it's blood.
Of all things in this world... Our self built cages, are our worst design of hell.

Fear me simply because I'm blunt and honest.

*WARNING* I am rated R for suggestive themes and violent material. If you need a warning label don't leave home, cause there isn't a warning label on your front door.

Posted Image

-Pain is beatiful.-Posted Image

#60 -quest-

-quest-

Posted 15 December 2002 - 09:26 AM

Heres my take on this subject....
one....did valen to be a vamp in the first place and if she didnt then she isnt inherently evil therefore even with the loss of her soul and killing people she still has the memories of feelings and love and compassion.
two .... a great way to implimit a love quest for valen is to stop her from killing over time even if you do kill innocent people in the beginning ....a redemption mod that somehow involves valen bringing down her master, bohdi, or maybe involving taking down the entire vampire circle.
three....the bottom line is this if a person is good there job is to cleanse the world of evil whether its destroying it ,converting it or "loving it to good"....so it could be done .....after all if anyone ever watched the series "buffy the vampire slayer" then they would know that vampires can be powerful forces of good.

just my thoughts :rolleyes: