• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 12:57 PM

I was just wondering; if you're waiting for this mod, what is it about it that makes you wait? What in particular interests you regarding this project?

#2 chaz58

chaz58

The guy that never does anything

• 142 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:06 PM

Because it's a quest mod, because it promises to have proper role playing and because you're a damn good writer.

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:33 PM

"I was very impressed with Ascension. The only reason I had Ascension in the first place is because Gaider is from Bioware, so I figured it would be professional. It was, in contrast to the only other mod I'd really tried...I'd say not to name any names, but everyone would know I'm talking about TDD anyway. When I heard you [Quitch] and Cuv were doing your own mod, I was all ears."

And...

"It looks to be the best thing since Ascension, in my mind. I'm very skeptical of mods, but this one's won me over already. Cuv, Xyx and Quitch look like they're doing a great job.

Quitch especially, is a great writer, so the fact that it's a dialogue-intensive mod (keyword is mod), doesn't deter me at all. "

Just about sums it up.

While it looks like a great all around mod, it's the roleplaying that I'm sticking around for. No other mod really allows you to roleplay: even the game itself doesn't always allow you to roleplay. RtW is unique.

#4 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:33 PM

The extensive dialogs. Non-cheating AI. Some enemies realizing that I'm a child of a dead god. (and the new NPC)

#5 Raistlin

Raistlin
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:35 PM

Bah!

Previous "Guest" is me.

#6 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 02:44 PM

Storyline, dialogues & new areas :).

#7 kirkjobsluder

kirkjobsluder
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 06:53 PM

More depth to Imoen.

#8 Senka

Senka
  • Modder
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 01:42 AM

Because it's for paladins...

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:05 AM

"It looks to be the best thing since Ascension, in my mind. I'm very skeptical of mods, but this one's won me over already. Cuv, Xyx and Quitch look like they're doing a great job.

And truly, they are!
But don't detract from other modders: the community hasn't been sleeping while RtW was being developed.

I'll throw in my two cents about this mod, now that I've come to know it a little better :)
It is GREAT. In many senses. Scope, sheer dimensions, deepness.
The dialogs are a blasts... sure, Quitch seems to look with amusement at good players :lol: , but "we" receive all the necessary options, and we have to sacrifice what needs to be sacrificed in order to *be* good: I cannot ask for more.
Areas are a blast, monsters (and their AI) are a blast.
It is almost perfect, and it's going to be the Must_Have_Mod for everyone.

Yet some things might be improved still. I mean that not everything seems to integrate in an absolutely perfect way with the official game.
Very minor details, mind you, insignificant when compared to the rest of the Mod.
Yet, for instance, some of the non playing characters's portraits scream "Attention: Mod Content!" imho.

There are a few of such little (I repeat: very little!) issues through the mod, and I hope that they will be refined when there's time for it.
Some "minor" mods (meaning that they started with less grand aims than this one) proved that seamless integration is possible: I'm thinking about Unfinished Business, Virtue, and I hope I'll be allowed to say the same for Refinements, after release.

Allow me to grab to occasion to talk about compatibility: I seriously think that some actions must be taken to cooperate with Sim and his Virtue Mod.
RtW is so RolePlaying_Oriented that having it rely on the *OBSOLETE* Reputation system is a real waste, imho.

#10 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:06 AM

Sorry, that was me :P

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#11 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:53 AM

We work with the reputation differently to the way BG2 does. We treat it, not as a guide to your actions, but as how people perceive you, what the rumours flying around say. Doing good actions in this quest will often lead to a lower reputation, and visa versa for evil. Think of this as the "Spiderman" approach.

You're hardly waiting, Littiz. You're on the team. I would hope you feel free to raise any issues you have via the mailing list so that we can discuss them; portraits, reputation, feel free to raise all of them.

My I say that one of my favourite elements of the mod is the fact that barely any of our areas match with Bioware ones. Not even the Windspear dungeon. Everything has changed, and many of the areas are just plain new.

#12 -Ding0-

-Ding0-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:38 AM

We work with the reputation differently to the way BG2 does. We treat it, not as a guide to your actions, but as how people perceive you, what the rumours flying around say. Doing good actions in this quest will often lead to a lower reputation, and visa versa for evil. Think of this as the "Spiderman" approach.

Yes, you do the same as I do in the Virtue mod, then. I take it a stage further, introducing a "Virtue" variable, which functions similarly to reputation, but measures your actions in a good/evil light throughout BG2. I'm sure people will moan at me to make it work with RtW...

#13 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:58 AM

Now you've given them idea Sim, they probably will.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#14 jester

jester

biased bystander

• 1476 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:03 AM

Yes, Sim. Neat suggestion! Thanks for volunteering before anybody had to poke you with something sharp. :)
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of RadAway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 Jumpsuit. Let's hit it!" -The Chosen One

Free your mind

#15 Grim Squeaker

Grim Squeaker

Fallen

• 1018 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:06 AM

On the plus side Sim, you can claim to be involved with another huge mod!
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

#16 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:55 AM

We modify your alignment depending on your actions within the quest (should you stray too far), but we don't have any dedicated variable for checking character reactions and the like, we rely on the existing Bioware variables.

If you want to discuss the Virtue system in relation to this mod, please fire up another topic and we can talk about it there.

#17 amazinggameguru

amazinggameguru

Spellhold Inmate

• 188 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:02 AM

I've been following this mod since the beginning (I believe it was the beginning at any rate) back at the yahoo boards. I think that there is a lot of potential and I'm looking forward to seeing a finished product.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#18 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:22 PM

The beginning would be January 2002, and we started on IEEAIS, moving to our own group when IEEAIS fell into the wrong hands. We have had a board at TeamBG, followed by a board here after attempts were made to censor the content of our postings over there, a situation that was unacceptable to us.

A lot of the early postings to this board were lost due to some failure of something, probably hardware, some time ago.

Early on we inhabited the Black Isle boards.

#19 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:32 PM

With all due respect, ther eis no such thing as the MUST have mod. They are by definition optional.

#20 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 01:37 PM

With all due respect, ther eis no such thing as the MUST have mod. They are by definition optional.

I kind of doubt that Littiz was making a statement of fact there Domi. I'd say from the context that it is obvious the the statement was an opinon. We really don't need lots of extra little qualifiers to cover every possible interpretation and reading of an innocent posting.

More on topic. I'm looking forward to RtW for the additional quests and the introduction of non-cheating AI on a larger scale.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit