• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

The BG clerics often have colour schemes totally different than what they should as priests of specific deities, so I made some slight palette changes. Here's a little "before and after."

Branwen as priestess of Tempus
Posted Image Posted Image

The robes of a priest of Tempus always sport trim the crimson hue of fresh blood, but vary in overall color from place to place and rank to rank. Darker-colored robes are worn by those of the lower ranks. Most war priests wear ceremonial garments of brown or purple.

(I did a purple version but I think this one turned out better. She gets a bit more favourable lighting while we're at it.)

Quayle as priest of Baravar Cloakshadow

Baravar's priests favor the garb of rogues, including leather armor, light weapons, and a concealing dark gray or black cloak.

The pink tint, at any rate, is right out.

Tiax as priest of Cyric

Priests of Cyric dress in black or dark purple robes, with or without hoods, trimmed with silver.

Yeslick as priest of Clangeddin Silverbeard

Clangeddin's priests wear silver chain mail armor, war helms, and tabards depicting the symbol of the Father of Battle as their ceremonial garb.

(All quotes are from Faiths & Avatars or Demihuman Deities.)

I'm a bit sketchy on the BG2 clerics, and even sketchier on the druids, paladins and rangers (if those all even mention specific deities), but I can probably take a stab at those eventually if there's interest in more.

Edit:
Viconia as priestess of Shar
Two changes here; first she gets the garb colours right:

The colors purple and black are used extensively in Shar's church and among her followers. Most Sharran clergy dress in black cloaks or soft, silent dark garb with purple trim, piping, or accessories...

Secondly, she gets the facial colours right:

Drow vary in shape, features, and hair color as greatly as humans do. The only exception to this rule is their uniformly jet-black skin (the few exceptions tend to be bone-white albinos).

The majority of drow have snow-white hair from birth, yellowing (if female) or graying (if male)... Most drow have red eyes. Others have green, brown, or black... Blue and purple (and all the tints thereof) are the most unusual eye colors, and usually denote human or surface-elven blood somewhere in the drow's ancestry. (from Drow of the Underdark, 2nd ed. FR supplement)

These two aren't clerics, but I never really liked their portraits, so...
Faldorn (same claws, different druid)

Shar-Teel (with most impractical "armour")

Edit 2: And finally, two more non-clerics:

Dynaheir
No real reason for this, except I'd been trying to peddle it to Amaurea, and I'm not crazy about her existing portrait (maybe if the angle was different).

Minsc
Minsc's portrait has bothered me for a while. It's clean off per all FR descriptions of Rashemi:

Most Rashemi average about five and a half feet in height, with stout and muscular builds. Most are dusky of skin and dark of eye, with thick black hair. Rashemi males are unusually hirsute [hairy] and often sport bushy black beards. Although handsome, many seem almost ursine [bearlike] in nature. Baldness is almost unknown among Rashemi males, although inhabitants of Thay are known to shave all body hair in imitation of the ruling Mulan. (from Races of Faerun)

Edit 3: One more non-cleric I did as an afterthought.
Skie
No real reason for this either. Her old portrait is ok, but I always thought she should look a bit more petulant, and I cropped this out from the same frame as the source for Dynaheir's portrait (from the DnD movie).

Edited by Miloch, 12 July 2008 - 07:59 AM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#2 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

They are brilliant! I especially like Brenwen :D

#3 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:39 PM

More Great work Miloch!

Please get these as an option with BG1NPC.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#4 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 10:59 PM

Very sweet! All look super-cool!

#5 Epantiras

Epantiras

Proudly Chaotic Neutral

• 810 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

they look much better with changed palette imho :D better color balance /saturation than in the original

oO My DA Gallery Oo
oO My Artcorner on SHS Oo
oO "Ask the Betrayer" parody comic Oo
oO My other parody comics on SHS Oo

Oh, and Epantiras, you're simply Epantirastic.

(and no, I'M not egocentric!)

I Hate Elminster! (proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#6 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the good words.

How could I have forgotten Viconia was a cleric? There's probably a million versions of her BG2 portrait out there, but what's one more...*

Also updated the first post with a couple new non-cleric portraits.

* Edit: Especially if you don't want her looking like some weird half-drow freak of nature...

Edited by Miloch, 08 July 2008 - 06:50 PM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#7 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

oh, my! all of sudden, both shar-teel and faldorn are looking very sexy!

#8 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:41 AM

Updated with Dynaheir and Minsc. I think that's about all I had planned (for a while anyway).

Eh, I guess I could post the large portraits instead of the medium ones... didn't want to suck up everyone's bandwidth though... :blink:

#9 darlarosa

darlarosa

A rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours!

• 384 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

hmmm I like them(minsc and dynaheir) a lot...though Minsc sounds white in my head and I see the voice before the appearance so...I don't know where I'm going with this,,,,
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#10 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:50 AM

Minsc sounds white in my head and I see the voice before the appearance

Heh, maybe someone should revoice him to sound like one of the Wayans brothers or something :lol:. Though who knows what a Rashemi is supposed to sound like. Dynaheir sounds like an Indian woman trying to speak Shakespearean English. Though the "Shining South" is supposed to be more like India, and that's miles away from Rasheman. And Rasheman is actually further north than Baldur's Gate, so... :huh:

#11 darlarosa

darlarosa

A rush and a push and the land we stand on is ours!

• 384 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:21 AM

Minsc sounds white in my head and I see the voice before the appearance

Heh, maybe someone should revoice him to sound like one of the Wayans brothers or something :lol:. Though who knows what a Rashemi is supposed to sound like. Dynaheir sounds like an Indian woman trying to speak Shakespearean English. Though the "Shining South" is supposed to be more like India, and that's miles away from Rasheman. And Rasheman is actually further north than Baldur's Gate, so... :huh:

This is getting more and more confusing...we need to figure this out in another thread/topic lol
We could argue all day about whether or not I'm a reprehensible human being...Posted Image

"Feeling unknown
And you're all alone
Flesh and bone
By the telephone
Lift up the receiver
Ill make you a believer"

- Depeche Mode

Posted Image ------Posted Image ]------Posted Image------Posted Image----------Posted Image---------Posted Image----Posted Image------Posted Image-------Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image-----Posted Image------Posted Image------Posted Image--------Posted Image-------------Posted Image-------------------- click my dragon if you luv meh!

#12 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

Liked the portaits. Minsc sent me almost in ROFL style and Shar-Teel... well, her new portait looks weird :blink:
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#13 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

Eh, I guess I could post the large portraits instead of the medium ones... didn't want to suck up everyone's bandwidth though... :blink:

Please do.

These are all very nice.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:49 PM

Shar-Teel... well, her new portait looks weird :blink:

Must be the uh, the sword. Yeah, that's it. Kinda weird how it's just floating behind her, but my answer to that is that she's carrying it from a baldric that's very cunningly concealed behind her braid. I didn't want to put it in the same position as the sword in her default portrait because of, uh, obvious reasons... :whistling:

Please do.

Ok, let the bandwidth-sucking commence!

#15 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

The cleric colour-changes are awesome. Especially Tiax and Yeslick. Really nice work.

I'm not so keen on the Dynaheir one. The colour of her skin is more red than anything else. Oh, and I agree with you about the angle of her original one. The arrogance comes across well, which I'm guessing is what they intended, but ... lady, you don't need to keep your nose *that* high.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

I'm not so keen on the Dynaheir one. The colour of her skin is more red than anything else.

Yeah, it was bugging me too. It's hard for me to get that "dusky" tone of the original without it looking too grey or green. It's either my colour-blindness, lack of skill, PaintShop's quirkiness, or maybe the fact the contrast on one monitor is way different from another...

How's one of these? Once I get the skin tone right, I can fix some other things I noticed (probably no one else would unless peering at it with a magnifying glass tho, heh). Also Minsc's tone, which is a bit red as well.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
(The last one is an earlier edit before I added the earrings. And I know this sort of question is dangerous, because someone's not only going to pick that one, which is my least favourite, but is also going to say "I like the whitest Dynaheir." But... whatever :P.)

Oh, and I agree with you about the angle of her original one. The arrogance comes across well, which I'm guessing is what they intended, but ... lady, you don't need to keep your nose *that* high.

The thing is, she's not all that arrogant in the game, apart from the accent and some finickyness. Maybe just a bit...

Edited by Miloch, 10 July 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#17 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

Out of those, I'd vote for number 4.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#18 RedTyga

RedTyga
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 06:39 AM

(The last one is an earlier edit before I added the earrings. And I know this sort of question is dangerous, because someone's not only going to pick that one, which is my least favourite, but is also going to say "I like the whitest Dynaheir." But... whatever :P.

You know, the reason I like the last one is not because she's the whitest but because her skin actually looks like skin. The only other one that you can tell this with is the second to the last one, which manages to maintain the little imperfections of her skin that is shown in the last one. All the other edits start going into "looks like she's wearing WAY too much makeup/you can tell it's photoshopped" territory.

#19 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

Mostly real neat methinks.
A few things do come to mind though:

-With her darkened skin, Viconia is kinda hard to make out spot in her dark new clothes.

-Think version 6 of Dynaheir has the most baldurish look, realism aside. The tone may still be a tiny bit reddish, but that's not too bad.
-The bright purple cloth at the lower edge of Dyna portrait needs to be darker (or something); that bright it steals the focus of the picture. The rest of her robes could be a tiny bit brighter too, it's a bitdifficult to see any details ATM.

#20 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

Somebody needs to make mod out of this, but please make it so we can choose which to replace. I like the second from the top on Dynaheirs picts, by the way...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.