Mark's Misadventures

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#81 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:08 AM

Since he is doing BoneHill right now, I assume the mines are cleared. Could this be part of the dialog problem we found earlier during the BG1NPC testing? Mark, did Khalid start the dialogs on his own or did you have him talk to her?

We had discovered that for most of the BG1 NPCs, they have a dialog option to say when everything else doesn't apply (kind of a catch all comment). Unfortuntately, that comment is the one about them leaving. So if an NPC does a dialog where nothing else matches up, they will leave the group.

The S&H patch 3 should fix this. Or maybe it was the one before that? Either way, they should not do this to you anymore.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#82 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 03:10 PM

Since he is doing BoneHill right now, I assume the mines are cleared.  Could this be part of the dialog problem we found earlier during the BG1NPC testing?  Mark, did Khalid start the dialogs on his own or did you have him talk to her?

We had discovered that for most of the BG1 NPCs, they have a dialog option to say when everything else doesn't apply (kind of a catch all comment).  Unfortuntately, that comment is the one about them leaving.  So if an NPC does a dialog where nothing else matches up, they will leave the group.

The S&H patch 3 should fix this.  Or maybe it was the one before that?  Either way, they should not do this to you anymore.

View Post

This sounds like the case, but I have the S&H patch installed. Is there a newer version than Oct. 2004?

Yep, I just went and checked it out. That's the version of the patch that I have installed.

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 21 November 2004 - 03:14 PM.

"What rough beast, Its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born."

W.B. Yeats

May the sun be always in the eyes of your enemies,
and may your feet always find the correct path.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#83 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 03:18 PM

Ok, another annoying question. I'd like to help playtest Vlad's new NEJ 1.9, but I don't want to kybosh my existing BP-BGT-NEJ install. I've got a really bad feeling that NEJ 1.9 will not neatly fit into this install. How do I set up a second install of BG II with NEJ and access it without screwing up my existing install?

Help . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#84 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

There's an easy way to do it, but it may still require you to do a reinstall.

You need a folder with a virgin BGII + ToB + patch setup, minus the CD2 through CD5 folders. Open the baldur.ini file, and changed the HD0 line to the install path for the directory in which you wish to test NeJ (for example, mine is C:\Program Files\Black Isle\NeJ Test. Then install NeJ 1.9 here. To run the game, you'll need to go into your test directory and run the BGMAIN program.

This is how it worked for me. I'd like to test this on the BGT-BP platform--I've been stalling at the point where I get captured by Irenicus' thugs for months, waiting on NeJ2--but I wouldn't have a clue how to adapt it either.

#85 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 05:40 PM

There's an easy way to do it, but it may still require you to do a reinstall.

You need a folder with a virgin BGII + ToB + patch setup, minus the CD2 through CD5 folders.  Open the baldur.ini file, and changed the HD0 line to the install path for the directory in which you wish to test NeJ (for example, mine is C:\Program Files\Black Isle\NeJ Test.  Then install NeJ 1.9 here.  To run the game, you'll need to go into your test directory and run the BGMAIN program.

This is how it worked for me.  I'd like to test this on the BGT-BP platform--I've been stalling at the point where I get captured by Irenicus' thugs for months, waiting on NeJ2--but I wouldn't have a clue how to adapt it either.

View Post

Thanks. I think I can handle that. Did you have any problems with the NEJ 1.9 file?
My compuiter about had kittens trying to digest the damned thing the first time I downloaded it.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#86 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 06:39 PM

My computer about had kittens trying to digest the damned thing the first time I downloaded it.

Sounds like my attempts at jamming CtB into a BGT-NeJ-BP game. :bash:
Only took three tries to get the game to at least allow me to build out a new person. Now it is just a matter of seeing where the conflicts are...

Classic Adventures

#87 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 November 2004 - 09:59 PM

hmm. I didn't have any trouble downloading NeJ1.9.

Didn't have any major difficulties testing it either. Just waiting on the next part.

As for CtB, I thought I might be able to install after completing the BG1 portion, just swapping out the worldmap. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the game to install. May try again later.

Soon as BB gets the patch out for SoBH, I'm going to begin a new game...may even start a thread detailing progress like yours!

#88 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 07:54 AM

hmm.  I didn't have any trouble downloading NeJ1.9.

Didn't have any major difficulties testing it either.  Just waiting on the next part.

As for CtB, I thought I might be able to install after completing the BG1 portion, just swapping out the worldmap.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get the game to install.  May try again later. 

Soon as BB gets the patch out for SoBH, I'm going to begin a new game...may even start a thread detailing progress like yours!

View Post

Sounds good to me. Speaking of "Progress," this latest intrepid team has completed the first Bonehill module. Things went quite well. The module seems to be really rounding into shape. One minor comment, having your mage learn all of those spells in the X spellbook can be a real cheesy way to advance everybody in the party a level. Not thinking about how much XP could be gained, I had Keira write all of those spells, (Hell, I'm not certain a Bard can even cast 9th level spells but, she was able to write them into her book.) In any case, everybody gained a level. Imoen and Keira each gained two levels. Oi. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I like cheese as much as the next rat, but I think that maybe those little treats need to be spread out so that they don't all come at once, perhaps in several spellbooks, over a couple of different chapters.

In any case, after clearing Bonehill, we went on and wasted Basillus and rescued Brage. Fairly easy at 7th level. I'm going to head off to Ulcaster and Firewine to see if the updated Dsotsc encounters are there.

Honest, I've installed the new patches, but I still seem to be getting things have supposedly been patched.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 22 November 2004 - 07:59 AM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#89 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 03:35 PM

Damn! All of my characters kits and classes have been wiped and Keira no longer has a name or a class. I really did not need this. Looks like it is definitely time to rebuild. Crap! Crap! Crap!

BPfan: I was able to set up a separate install, but there seems to have been some crossover between the two.

:bash: :bash: :bash:

Sorry, feeling a little frustrated on several fronts.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#90 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 05:25 PM

:unsure:
I have another patch? Other than getting AR0502.ARE out to people and removing the TDD spellbook (well, maybe relocated...), I didn't know there was anything else to fix. Your 1.10 game is the same as the Tutu 1.16 version and no one in that group of players has mentioned any other patches. Let me know what else I need to fix, I'd be happy to do it. The sequel is still months away, I just started building the town of Garrotten.

I do have one more encounter with the Cult of the Dragon, but I was planning to add that latter. Hehehe.

Classic Adventures

#91 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:02 PM

Sorry, I meant the DSotSC patch, which you've just released. Guess it's time for a rebuild...think I'll finally try out the Druidic Sorcerer!

#92 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:14 AM

Cool. Good luck on it, though your other post looks like you are having some problems.

Classic Adventures

#93 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:21 AM

:unsure:
I have another patch? Other than getting AR0502.ARE out to people and removing the TDD spellbook (well, maybe relocated...), I didn't know there was anything else to fix. Your 1.10 game is the same as the Tutu 1.16 version and no one in that group of players has mentioned any other patches. Let me know what else I need to fix, I'd be happy to do it. The sequel is still months away, I just started building the town of Garrotten.

I do have one more encounter with the Cult of the Dragon, but I was planning to add that latter. Hehehe.

View Post

Don't remove the TDD spellbook, just divide it into several smaller chunks. Three or four spell books scattered over the various stages of your adventure. My rebuild went reasonably well. I had to do some fancy finagling to get up and running. My son has managed to crack BG II disc #3, making it unreadable. I was forced to use my BG II Back-up file to run my reinstall. I really need to check the boards again to see if there are updated versions of the mods I'm running. Hlid has mentioned that he's updated the "rescued mods" since I set up my previous install. It's a little late now, I suppose, but I still need to check them out.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#94 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 07:04 AM

Interesting, Khalid, Jahiera, my non-fighter PC, Kivan, Imoen, and Xan form a comparitively weak party. It's much more difficult to waltz through opponents with this group. Don't like it, Will definitely do some shuffling as I head out to rescue Dynaheir.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#95 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 03:54 PM

This is getting pretty damned monotonous. My last party has gone completely unstable. I left them on the Bone Hill screen of SoBH. That's where they showed up when I was gated in by Pieltar, only now he isn't around, and when I tried to leave the screen, CTD. That didn't sound kosher, so I backtracked to a previous save between areas. I tried talking to Firebead and CTD, again.

In any case, tired of dealing with the frustrations, I started a brand new party. Thinks aren't very promising on this group either because Imoen started out as a 1st level Thief. No Charming Rogue. Ah Well, keep plugging away.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#96 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:21 AM

Sounds buggier than a Microsoft service pack. Can you say rebuild?

Classic Adventures

#97 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:23 PM

Sounds buggier than a Microsoft service pack.  Can you say rebuild?

View Post

Aye, I can say rebuild, though it leaves a foul taste in my mouth. A general not of caution to any and all who are playing through a BP-BGT-NEJ game. Updating mod versions during play has a high probability of having an adverse effect on your saved game files. If they weren't fubared before, odds are even-up or better that they will be fubared after the upgrade. I hope to be able to get a little screen time in tonight, after writing lesson plans and creating tomorrow's assignments.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#98 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:00 PM

Remember Mark you were play testing! If you don't want bugs wait a while.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#99 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 05:18 PM

Remember Mark you were play testing!  If you don't want bugs wait a while.

View Post

For an English/History teacher, I sure seem to have a lousy grasp of the language. I intended the comment as a heads-up. You know, "Certain types of activities tend to create problems."

Sorry . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#100 Ironthumb

Ironthumb
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 09:35 AM

Hiya Mark. I've been gone quite awhile but am crackin' up over here to find you're still going at it. You are definitely one hell of a persistent dude.
I don't suppose another "Good luck" will help you?

I'm fixin to rub the dust off of my PC and see where I left my party at...it's been that long since I have been able to get around to trying to finally finishing The BP.

I have only looked around a small bit so far but was wondering how Horred has been. I see Hlid all over the place as always. Where does he get the time? It amazes me. Maybe he's a retired self-made millionaire or something.

Hope things went well with your search for a new job and that the family is going great. I'll do some back-reading of your thread as I get more time to see how it's been.

Take care!

Ski