Patch .34

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:06 AM

I am working up a small patch based on Sadun's feedback. So far, this is what I have:

IceBolt Spell
Paraway's Dialog problem with Sanbelt
Ned's leaving party dialog
Sleeping people locations in tents

I have never had the problem with Belak constantly using his wand. I will have to test that again.
There is also a posted a picture showing an item with the name "Personal Item". I can't find any items called this, so I don't know what it is to fix it.
Dragon needs something to keep him from accidental dying but item needs to be removed if you plan to kill him.
Meepo is working fine for me. I need a refresh on what problems you are seeing. Maybe I fixed it but forgot about it already.
Fix for haunted house upstairs staircase, some people can't find it.

Any other problems anyone can think of?

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#2 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 08 January 2006 - 04:29 AM

I have never had the problem with Belak constantly using his wand. I will have to test that again.

When I played the first version in June? I had the same problem. I had my game level set on insane and after I lower the game level it was fine and trouble free.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#3 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:18 AM

I have never tried the game at that level. Okay, that would be a good test for me.

Classic Adventures

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

Additions:

Belak's wand
Goliath Tree isn't Enemy until fight begins
Area TC0015, hidden cache in wall behind statue was hard to access
Calcryx only dies if you state you are going to kill him, otherwise he wears an item to keep him alive

Still to do:
Althon and Vildamyr need stat changes
Althon will get new sword and shield
Vildamyr needs updated shield
Mistmoor shield doesn't have BAM assigned
Rihn needs stat changes

Classic Adventures

#5 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

Additions:

Belak's wand
Goliath Tree isn't Enemy until fight begins
Area TC0015, hidden cache in wall behind statue was hard to access
Calcryx only dies if you state you are going to kill him, otherwise he wears an item to keep him alive

Still to do:
Althon and Vildamyr need stat changes
Althon will get new sword and shield
Vildamyr needs updated shield
Mistmoor shield doesn't have BAM assigned
Rihn needs stat changes

Before you read this post to far I may have included some spoilers. Beware!

OK you asked if there are any additional fixes required. I have played Classic through several times using a variety of parties (even solo, well almost solo, i did pick up a few NPCs only long enough to trigger some of the dialogs then dropped them before any encounters). I have started to run through the module again with the intent to find bugs. I have a few on my list some of which you are addressing but I will mention them anyway. I am also including some dialog errors but recognize that sometimes grammer an spelling are in error intentionally, so just ignore if you deem them irrelevant.

1) Jermien dialog "get this apples" should be "get these apples"

2) Jermien dialog "the mages of the countries gathers" should be "the mages of the countries gathered"

3) Jermien dialog "apples trees" should be "apple trees"

4) Calcryx - sometimes dialog does not start. If I attack I can force dialog mode.

5) Meepo - after returning Calcryx and recieving key Meepo becomes neutral but still is shown as a party member. Can not get to rejoin.

6) Reform party - Can not get any NPC to rejoin after being dropped.

7) Belak uses a wand - repeated.

8) My son was playing the module and mentioned that the rumours in one of the inn's was left over from Baldur's gate. I am still doing a bug search in Sunless citadel and have not located this bug as of yet. Its possible that this bug was in an earlier version and has been fixed already.

9) I have found the most powerfull item in this module to be the necklace of missiles. By hoarding my gold I can affort to sell and repurchase this item with full charges. however, using the strategy of fireballs and stealth I am able to kill many of the boss monsters. Unfortunatly this can also break critical dialogs. Can the scripts be improved so that monsters seek damage causing enemies outside of visual range. They (especially intelligent boss monsters) should pursue me after the first fireball.

10) I am able to attack kobolds and/or lizardmen without triggering the remaining monsters as non-neutral. This makes them to easy an experience gain. If you declare evil intent on the lizardmen while in dialog mode then all lizardmen become enemies but not if you attack outside of the dialog loop. (Ditto kobolds)

11) Pickpocketing the lizardmen leads to too much easy wealth and magic.

12) Getting past the secret door beyond the kobold key door. I was able to get past this one of the first times I played using an earlier version. I have played at least a dozen times since and have been unable to trigger the required dialog to achieve access. my work around has been to ctrl-J past the secret door. What have I missed or broken?

13) After return to town after defeating Wyvern and seeking to report to counsel I am sometimes unable to get dialog to start which opens world map to Saguan fortress. Sometimes works , sometimes doesn't. Not sure what I have done to break dialog stream. My workaround on these two occasions was to use the "Move to Map#" cheat mode.

14) I have never met the girl that gets you started on the Crypt quest. My son has. Where is she? It is possible that I have entered the crypt prior to the intended timeline. The crypt door can easily be access by clicking the bottom right corner of the door. I consider this a bug. The locked door on the map should be enlarged to fully overlap the door entrance.

15) Getting Blush to join party. After many attempts using a varied combination of approaches the only successful way to get blush to join party was to go immediatly to the required location, you must not be located on the stairs, and you must increment the time using ctrl-T. It might be helpful if you relocated blush and Aesdale to one of the rooms thus requireing the party to advance away from the stairs.

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to the next update.
Always look on the bright side of life, da da - da da - da da - da da. "Monty Python"

#6 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 03:03 PM

1, 2, 3 - Good eyes.

4 - Calcryx well talk to you when you get close enough. If you are too far away, yes only a fight will get him to talk. If I increase the sight range Meepo may still be out of sight range so he doesn't add to the dialog. Basically, I can't win in this problem. The solution is to just start walking up to the dragon instead of trying to range attack him.

5 - This should have already been fixed. I will try again.

6 - How are your dropping NPCs? Maybe this is different than what the dialog checks for.

7 - Belak is fixed in .34.

8 - Interesting on the rumors, I need to review them. I did find some corruption in the drink list. That will be in .034

9 - Horred has a cool new enemy script for BP that I will blatantly steal for this problem. I also like to lob fireballs from a distance but he found a way to get the enemies to come after you. This will probably not make it to .34.

10 - The kobold/lizardman issue may get fixed with 9 but I am not sure. The problem here is that if I give them the normal enemy scripts, they attack you if a rat or other enemy cries for assistance. I need them to turn enemy only if you attack another of their race.

11 - Shame on you.

12 - The secret door is triggered by the statue in that room. The PC must be standing near the statue it will talk to you. I tried to have it talk to you if anyone is near but then you could have the PC standing in the doorway when the statue talks to the PC. That seemed weird. I will try some other options.

13 - Did you talk to the lizardman king before going back to town? He is the one that reveals the new area on your map, not the Saltmarsh captain.

14 - The girl is standing outside the Saltmarsh mayor's house. She will only be there when you are ready to head to Selgaunt. She should try to talk to you, so it is possible for you to walk away too fast for her to catch you. I will see about fixing that doorway. Thanks.

15 - This should be fixed in .33 already. The original problem was just as you said. I had it working so that you could arrive later if you wanted to. Moving them isn't a problem but then I will have someone saying that they couldn't find her.

Thanks again for all this. By the way, you may want to organize some of these as a spoiler/walkthrough package for future players.

Last thing, have you gotten to Mistmoor yet? I don't see any bugs in that area and I can't believe I have it working in just one version.

Classic Adventures

#7 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:23 AM

Thanks again for all this. By the way, you may want to organize some of these as a spoiler/walkthrough package for future players.

Last thing, have you gotten to Mistmoor yet? I don't see any bugs in that area and I can't believe I have it working in just one version.
[/quote]

I usually drop part members by using the Reform Party Button

I'm not thorough enough nor take adequate notes for writing a quality walkthrough.

I have been through Mistmoor a couple of times. First time through I rejected all of the new NPCs. I was comfortable with the party I was developing (good balance) and didn't want to loose characters I had invested time and experience in developing. however, I was unable to get the Mistmoor module to follow the plot line. (probable was just me and my playing style)

I do seem to recall that if I reject the palidin as an NPC but ask him to be a guide instead I had difficulties getting him to follow me to some of the alternate maps and thus I lost him and broke some of the dialog triggers. I had much better luck after restarting mistmoor and adding him to the party.

Second time through I added all of the new NPCs. I was able to run through mistmoor with no problems. My only general comment is that the NPCs you add in Mistmoor seem to be a much higher level than the party I have developed entering Mistmoor. ( I believe that I have milked the prior modules/quests for maximum experience and this is still true.)
Always look on the bright side of life, da da - da da - da da - da da. "Monty Python"

#8 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

1, 2, 3 - Good eyes.

4 - Calcryx well talk to you when you get close enough. If you are too far away, yes only a fight will get him to talk. If I increase the sight range Meepo may still be out of sight range so he doesn't add to the dialog. Basically, I can't win in this problem. The solution is to just start walking up to the dragon instead of trying to range attack him.

5 - This should have already been fixed. I will try again.

6 - How are your dropping NPCs? Maybe this is different than what the dialog checks for.

7 - Belak is fixed in .34.

8 - Interesting on the rumors, I need to review them. I did find some corruption in the drink list. That will be in .034

9 - Horred has a cool new enemy script for BP that I will blatantly steal for this problem. I also like to lob fireballs from a distance but he found a way to get the enemies to come after you. This will probably not make it to .34.

10 - The kobold/lizardman issue may get fixed with 9 but I am not sure. The problem here is that if I give them the normal enemy scripts, they attack you if a rat or other enemy cries for assistance. I need them to turn enemy only if you attack another of their race.

11 - Shame on you.

12 - The secret door is triggered by the statue in that room. The PC must be standing near the statue it will talk to you. I tried to have it talk to you if anyone is near but then you could have the PC standing in the doorway when the statue talks to the PC. That seemed weird. I will try some other options.

13 - Did you talk to the lizardman king before going back to town? He is the one that reveals the new area on your map, not the Saltmarsh captain.

14 - The girl is standing outside the Saltmarsh mayor's house. She will only be there when you are ready to head to Selgaunt. She should try to talk to you, so it is possible for you to walk away too fast for her to catch you. I will see about fixing that doorway. Thanks.

15 - This should be fixed in .33 already. The original problem was just as you said. I had it working so that you could arrive later if you wanted to. Moving them isn't a problem but then I will have someone saying that they couldn't find her.

12 - I tried walking up to the statue again and it worked just fine. (I knew I had answered the riddle in a previous run through. But just couldn't remember how i got there. The key was walking up close enough to the statue.) thanks.

#9 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

Here are a few more typos in the Sunless citadel dialogs.

1) Belek says "The grow from the seeds" should be "They grow from the seeds"

2) Belek says "They tought my work" should be either thought or taught

3) Belek says "I had longed search" should be "I had long searched"

4) Belek says "The stake of of " - alternate might be "The stake was of"

5) Belak says "soltace" should be "solstace"

6) Belak says "corpes" should be "corpses"

7) Erky says "live along time" should be "live a long time"

I will continue to work my way through the modules.

#10 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:56 AM

Here is another collection of comments/bugs. Many of these are spelling and grammer errors which I recognize can be intentional, however I will list them all and leave it up to Sir billybob to choose which ones to implement.

1) Rurik says - "I thought is was" should be "I thought it was"

2) Rurik says - "That bad, " should be "That's bad,"

3) Logan says - "Investitage" should be "Investigate"

4) Logan says - "scaries" should be "scared"

5) "History of Drow" Book is unsellable.

6) Rumours at Vyatri's Pub are leftovers from Baldur's Gate. (References to Athlatka, Dock's District, sewers, Order of Most Radiant Heart, churchs of Lathande and Talos fighting for dominance of city, etc.) Might consider updating rumours to address local concerns.

7) Militia Captain says - "yeld" should be "yield"

8) Merchant says - "scarely" should be "scary"

9) Aesdale says - "feed" should be "fed"

10) Aesdale says - "blackish" might have intended "brackish"

11) Protagonist response to Aesdale says "His dead now" should be "He is dead now"

12) When I added Aesdale and Blush I chose the dialog option to allow Rurik to return to shop, Rurik no longer functions as a shop keeper.

13) Althion says - "they they" should be "than they"

14) Protagonist response to Althion is "they are league" should be "they are in league"

15) Althion says - "know know" should be "know that"

16) Lizardmen rags - Do they have a function? or are they just dungeon dressing?

17) Lizardman Minister says "fleed to this location" should be "fled to this location"

18) Some of the new spells can not be written to spellbook.

19) Exiting the map outside the wyvern lair from the southwest corner uses the "?" mouse pointer rather than the "compass" mouse pointer.

20) Lizardman spear +2 not sellable but other lizardmen weapons are. At one point you intented for the lizardmen weapons to be reacquired by the lizardmen. Could this be converted into a minor quest with the delivery of the lizardmen weapons to the Lizardman Chief, Minister, or Shaman resulting in different consequences/rewards/experience depending on allignment, ...

21) Militia Captain says - "The ones we meet", should be "The ones we met"

22) Militia Captain says "have have" should be a single "have'

23) I get a "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS" during my discussion with the militia Captain. This discussion is immediately after defeating the wyverns, The discussion is about the lizardmen needing help against the Sahauhan.

Hope these comments are helpfull.

#11 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:44 PM

Okay, let's see here.

1, 2, 3, 4 - Done

5 - Standard item in game (I didn't did understand why some books you can sell and others you can't). Perhaps I should change this from the original game?

6 - Rumors are the same because her dialog wasn't using the right store. Done.

7, 8, 9, 10, 11 - Done

12 - Strange, I reset his dialog. Okay, I will look into it.

13, 14, 15 - Done

16 - Just an item that was mentioned in the original PnP mods. The rags allow a lizardman to be away from water because the creature coats its scales with the oils in the rag. They have no real purpose other than something to give more "realism" to the creatures.

17 - Done

18 - Any idea on which spell(s)?

19 - Done

20 - Oops. Done, none are sellable. Cool idea on who to give them to. For now, the King wants them back.

21, 22 - Done

23 - Who was in your party at this point? There was an issue with Althon and Aesdale but that should be fixed, I hope.

Early posting also done. Thanks again for catching these, I wish I could type these dialogs as fast as I can think of what each person is saying. My fingers are usually several words behind.

Classic Adventures

#12 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

12- Rurik worked fine for me. I had him leave the party, I jumped over to his shop and he started the correct dialog for me. I did find that some fixes I did for Aesdale and Blush were not included in the MM patch like I thought they were. Hopefully that will now be fixed again.

Can you detail the process you went through for Rurik to leave? What was the dialog he gives you at his store?

Classic Adventures

#13 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:40 PM

12- Rurik worked fine for me. I had him leave the party, I jumped over to his shop and he started the correct dialog for me. I did find that some fixes I did for Aesdale and Blush were not included in the MM patch like I thought they were. Hopefully that will now be fixed again.

Can you detail the process you went through for Rurik to leave? What was the dialog he gives you at his store?

Warning contains spoilers!

I'm running the latest posted mods. I just finished the boat quest. Returned to the captain to report. Got map updated. Went to Ruriks shop to sell items. Added Rurik to party. Recieved ammo belt for Dirbert and had Rurik make plate mail. Next visited magic shop and lost Aesdale. Next added Althon to party. Party now consists of "Mythryl Eagle", Althon, Dirbert, Shadow, Erky and Rurik. Went to Inn. When adding Aesdale and Blush, Rurik volunteers to leave party. Dialog reads.

1. You would be willing to do that?
1. Then we will see you at your shop. Thanks for all your help.

I then must also drop Erky from party. Erky now only responds with:

Erky - has nothing to say to you.

Immediatly walk to Rurik's shop. Rurik now only responds with:

Rurik - has nothing to say to you.

Here are a couple more bugs:

1) Item picked up from mayors bedroom wall has a blank icon. Item cannon be removed. Quick save and reload and mystery item is removed from inventory.

2) Item in mayors desk behaves similarly to above.

#14 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:34 PM

Erky's problem makes sense. I have already discovered that no one is triggering their leaving dialog's like the PDIALOG.2DA file says they should. I have a fix but it has to go into each NPC's individual script. You will see this in the up coming patch. Rurik is already using this fix, so that "may" be why I can't duplicate your problem.

Mayor's house containers have books, gold, and random items. I have no idea what item you saw. I have to assume something in the random treasure table isn't valid. This may take some time.

Classic Adventures

#15 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

I'm replaying the early parts to get to Mistmoor (last run-throughs were .32). Old bugs I've found lingering into .33:

1) In the Saltmarsh mayor's office one can hear the siege of Saradush. Please change the area's sound.

2) The market at Saltmarsh is called "Trademeet Market" on the map.

3) Pub rumors concern Athkatla.

4) The druid's wand still delivers a repeating message -- not ALL the time now, but still often. The real problem is that its initial sale value is 14000GP, even though it then costs just ~2000 to buy it back. (It sells for 1400 after that, suggesting that the 10x price is a bug.)

5) The Rurik-mayor convo refers to you at least once as a man no matter the character's sex.

6) Wierd proficiencies: Dirbert has 2 redundant pips in Bow (to go with his 5 in Long Bow), and Paraway -- who IIRC carries two longswords! -- has 2 in Two Handed Weapons (!). I assume the latter should be Two-Weapon style, though I sort of like the idea of using him as a spearman.

7) Some typo-type stuff that I've already forgotten.

More as I go forward.

I believe (from playing last time) the blank item thing is what certain scrolls turn into in certain inventory situations. It seems to do with BP's massively larger spell (and thus scroll) list. I think they sometimes turn back too. Wierd.

#16 -juggernaunt-

-juggernaunt-

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:07 AM

Paraway rocks! Him and Althon are a great duo. Vilamyr?s dialog seems to be looping when he is kicked out. I think he is a good character but I will stick with Blush in the future.

#17 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:47 AM

6) Wierd proficiencies: Dirbert has 2 redundant pips in Bow (to go with his 5 in Long Bow), and Paraway -- who IIRC carries two longswords! -- has 2 in Two Handed Weapons (!). I assume the latter should be Two-Weapon style, though I sort of like the idea of using him as a spearman.

At one time he had spear a as proficiency, maybe he should use a spear. What do you think Sir BillyBob?

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:18 PM

The spear may make better since for a barbarian than 2 long swords.

For Flem:

3 and 4 have already been addressed above, I think you are right about the wand, that is too high. This is what a get for copying a wand used in another mod (but meant for SoA where that gold amount is okay).

1 is actually an ambient I think, it wouldn't be the music. Should be easy to find and remove.

I will see about the dialog fixes also. Thanks.

Edit: The wand has a sale price of only 2,000 gold. Not sure who offered 14,000 for it. What a deal!

Edited by Sir BillyBob, 26 January 2006 - 02:46 PM.

Classic Adventures

#19 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:55 PM

The wand has a sale price of only 2,000 gold. Not sure who offered 14,000 for it. What a deal!

Rurik, of course! And as I said, he offers a tenth of that the second time around...

I think there may be a hidden variable somewhere in that thing. Or could it be the way the charges work?

#20 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:13 PM

Ok I've got a few more comments and bugs.

1) "Lizardman Heavy Crossbox" should be "Crossbow"

2) Spoke to lizardman chief. Agreed to help fight. World map has been updated. tried to speak to Lizardman chief again. Got "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS"

3) Lizardman complex - there is a cell with a Sahaugin prisoner it it. How do you get the cell door open? I have used the ctrl-J to enter the cell, but there must be another way.

4) Lizardman treasure room - first pile clockwise from the entrance there is another one of the mystery/blank items with no description - (reload removes item from inventory)

5) Armor of Darkness scroll - blank inventory icon.

6) There are a number of spells that I cannot write to my F/Mu/Th spellbook. Can't write them to Aesdales spellbook either. Don't have a comprehensive list but they include 1) wraith form, and 2) Aura of focus.

7) In a previous post I mentioned that I was unable to get the Sahaugin forstress map to appear on my world map and that I got the "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS" response from the militia captain. well it worked this time. My best guess is that it has to do with timing. This time i used ctrl-T to increment the time during the 1 to 2 days required for the militia captain to convene the town counsel. in previous attempts I have rested and performed a variety of other activities including pickpotting all of the lizardmen and may have arrived well past the time requirement. i am now trying to recreate my previous error to try to identify the specific action which breaks the dialog stream. I'll let you know what I find.