Patch .34

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

A few more bugs, in the haunted house:

8) The spiders shoot webs at stuff they can't see (hidden chars whom they don't attack while trapped), through doors and walls, halfway across the screen... Think they need an AI fix. Also, they're entangled by their own webs.

9) Ned seems to randomly make sounds when following, but not in, the party: "My casting has been interrupted"/"A snare has been set"/"I'm out of sight of others"/"I have secured [something]"/etc. What's this about?

10) If you never talk to Ned the second time, he follows you around all the way into the smugglers' cave, where... There's a second Ned Shankshaft! Plus, he never takes his stuff back so you get two +2 Studded Leathers and two +2 Daggers.

11) The smuggler mage guy still has a Robe of the Evil Archmagi (!) -- 14,000+ gp.

12) Logan's stash -- what does the trap/switch thing do? Nothing in the room seemed to change.

#22 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 02:45 PM

A few more bugs, in the haunted house:

12) Logan's stash -- what does the trap/switch thing do? Nothing in the room seemed to change.

12) For me the switches seem to work inconsistently. On previous runs through the game the switches allowed the secret door to logan's alcohol stash to be accessed. However, on my current run through the game it didn't work right. Not sure if something wasn't broken in the last update, or if there is a time dependent set of conditions in the dialogs that allow this to work properly. (Many of the remaining bugs in the game as I play it are related to the timing requirements in completing the dialog triggered quests.) Either way I have never recieved an additional reward for accomplishing the task of discovering all three switches. There ought to be some kind of experience reward for accomplishing the task.

Some more comments/bugs for SBB:

1) Militia captain says "This is higher unusual" should be "This is highly unusual"

2) Bag of holding - fist two items are blank items no description, if placed on ground and then picked up the items become Stoneskin scroll and poison scroll.

3) Previous post identified scrolls that could not be added to spell book - add Ice lance and Mordenkainens Force missiles to list.

4) After completing sahaugin fortress quest i returned to lizardman complex and recieved message "You have freed the lizardmen from their wyvern problem, The party has Gained Experience:1000" This is long after completing the wyvern quest and I had already visited lizardmen chief and Militia Captain multiple times.

5) After completing Sahuagin fortress and recieving reward from Lizardman chief I returned to Saltmarsh. I am still not finding the girl who starts the crypt quest. Went to temple of Umberlee. Guard to stairs no longer there. Upstairs all the Bane priests are neutral. Shelgan says "Go see the bitch down stairs." then recieve the "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS."
Always look on the bright side of life, da da - da da - da da - da da. "Monty Python"

#23 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:02 PM

13) Another missing gender check: when Shadow first asks "Rurik, why do you follow CHARNAME?"

#24 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:55 PM

I think there may be a hidden variable somewhere in that thing. Or could it be the way the charges work?

No hidden variables. Rurik offers to buy at higher than 100% value and sells to you at list price. I guess he is offering you too much. I will fix his store. Thanks.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#25 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:11 AM

14) Nephelium chain: description says AC3, though it's AC4.
[EDIT: never mind -- regular Chain +1 has the same problem. It's a BioBug.]

15) Saltmarsh fletcher: his greeting vocal mentions everyone coming to Amn.

16) Going down into the pirate ship takes 8 hours; going back up from the second level takes a whole day!

17) Althon/Blush cutscene: should be "If it were [not was, as it's a contrary to fact conditional] simple revenge" and "treacherous".

18) The dreaded Aesdale-won't-rejoin thing is biting me again, I'm afraid. He has nothing to say to me. Blush does, but she won't join without him. I'll try reloading and getting there early... OK, that worked, but now Rurik (whom I kicked out) isn't talking to me. OK, now to try dumping Rurik in the shop first... Still won't talk to me. Oops! There's a second Rurik in the same room! (Who thinks he never adventured with me.) Comedy gold. And... After his initial catching up dialogue, he's not talking to me either.

I hope my reports aren't delaying the .34 release.

EDIT to add:
19) Pirate Bosun displaying some Belak-like behavior -- message that he was drinking a potion kept repeating while I scouted, though he didn't actually seem to do it until later, when I started beating up on him.

20) Couldn't get Glitterhame dialog with the book guy to trigger this game. Do you have to pick a certain option the first time you enter the shop?

Edited by flem, 28 January 2006 - 11:09 PM.

#26 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:22 PM

A few more bugs, this time playing with .34:

1) Aesdale has too many HP -- 16 as a 3rd level Mage with 15 CON (+1). Max should be 15; 13 sounds fair.

2) Althon's intro dialog mentions Paraway having gone to talk to Aesdale's father even though he's actually right there with my party.

3) Same dialog: should be "engaged in purchasing weaponS more sophisticated" and "My own village was destroyed by thEsE people"

4) Althon can't, for some reason, use his own shield. (That is, if he unequips it, he can't reequip.)

5) Althon has two pips in longsword, but his initial weapon is a bastard sword.

6) Small nit: Althon's soundset is noticably louder than the others'. Also, neither he nor Blush have biographies.

edited to add:
7) Shouldn't the ranged effect of the Lizardman throwing spear ("BPLKSPER.ITM") do missile (4) damage and not piercing (1)? Firetooth, for example, does missile.

Edited by flem, 29 January 2006 - 09:39 PM.

#27 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

Paraway was a late add in. Althon is a first generation NPC. I will have to read through to match up their stories. Originally Paraway would have only been mentioned in the dialogs and never a joinable character. Arendil, a ranger was going to be in the group but when I mentioned the idea of Aesdale having a friend everyone seemed against it. So Sir Billy Bob and I decided to make a Neutral NPC to join with no real ties with anyone in the group. I hope you are enjoying the NPC?s. I am looking forward to hearing who is preferred in the group so I can begin building more storylines with the popular NPC?s. I am really grateful to Plasmocat, Cyrille and Herd for the great pictures. I begged Vlad for a picture which you will see in the future. I am especially happy with Paraways picture(It?s hand drawn using a photo for so reference.) and Althon picture which gives him a less creepy look. I will start cleaning up the dialogs soon, their may be some errors with dialogs due to my computer. I am probably giving Sir Billy Bob a lot of work correcting the spelling due to incompatible characters on my Japanese keyboard. When I first made Aesdale he was going to be level 4. His Hitpoints should be 10+con=13. Althon has changed backed to a bastard sword.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#28 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:58 AM

I'm still running .33. I finished Mistmoor this weekend again and here are a last set of comments/bugs.

1) Another of the mystery items in the Sahaugin treasure room.

2) Crypt - Dirbert becomes hostile with no explanation in direct response to dialog with Bane priest. (These are the two priests that are building the new undead creature in one of the lower levels) Dirberts dialog immediatley before becoming hostile is: "If all priest of Bane are this crazy, why is Zhentium still standing?" Only way to avoid Dirbert becoming hostile is to kill Bane priest before triggering dialog. (fixed)

3)Never could get lizardman chief to take Lizardman weapons. (not in .34 should be in .35)

4) Rilithar says "bloodily murder" should be "bloodily murdered" (fixed)

5) Rilithar says "Finally the viscounts" should be "Finally the Mistmoors" (fixed)

6) Rilithar says "we rushed out to in" should be "we rushed out in" (fixed)

7) Fala'stra says "I is really" should be "I am really" (fixed)

8) Reveri says "and and" should be "and' (fixed)

9) Reveri says "you used to tell you" should be "I used to tell you" (fixed)

10) Mistmoor Manor - the exit is not centered on the doorway

11) Erebus says "sieved" should be "seized" (fixed)

12) Erebus says "souls of your friend" should be "souls of your friends" (fixed)

13) Erebus says "familily" should be "family" (fixed)

14) What happened to Erebus Cloak of the Raven, was it destroyed in the wish spell?

15) Erebus says "additive" should be "addictive" (fixed)

16) Erebus says "been lost, in a " should be "been, lost in a " (fixed)

17) Another mystery item in the Mistmoor treasure vault.

18) After defeating erebus the sisters ghost are still wandering about. There should be a thank you dialog for ending the curse. Or at least some sort of closure for the ghosts.

19) Rihn says "firery" should be "fiery" (fixed)

20) Rihn says "bold" should be "bolt" (fixed)

21) Darkarion says "jouney" should be "journey" (fixed)

22) Rilithar is hard to find behind the door if it was left opened during previous visit. This is after he leaves party upon exiting the vault.

23) Rilithar says "You always have lodging" should be 'you will always have lodging" (fixed)

24) Mistmoor Inn - ctrl-4 shows 3 highlighted areas behind walls that are unaccessable- are these leftover from borrowed map?

25) Another mystery item in Booksellers upstairs bedroom.

26) Map TC0024 exists - no way in or out. Is this a placeholder map for future or uncompleted quests?

27) Map TC0090 - unfinished Mistmoor - This map was made obsolete with the .33MM update. Is there a need for it to be included in your future .40 package?

I will download the .34 patch today and start over from the beginning. Are there any areas or issues that I need to be looking for as I run through this time. For example, There have been several bugs reported that you are unable to duplicate. Do you have a list that i can be checking.

Edited by Sir BillyBob, 30 January 2006 - 05:00 PM.

Always look on the bright side of life, da da - da da - da da - da da. "Monty Python"

#29 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

The "mystery" items are probably scrolls that for some reason are not appearing in the game like they should. Don't bother listing their locations. Once I get this fixed, it should be fixed everywhere.

Aesdale - All NPCs are actually created by me in CA as first level characters and then I bump up their XP to the level I want. I use Leahnkain's CRE files he sends me as a guide but I build my own CRE files. Therefore, Aesdale has the HP that would normally be assigned to any other mage at that level with that amount of Constitution. I didn't give him any extra HP. You should be able to duplicate my methods. The only thing that may cause the higher HP is that the starting area uses code from BGT-BP to correct HP problems. Horred created this (or Bardez in BGT) and I don't remember the history of why this code was considered important for BGT. I suspect to fix a BioWare problem with level 1 characters but I am not sure. Anyway, it isn't a big deal for me to step this down.

Dialog spelling/grammer fixes - Please continue! I have read most of these dialogs so many times now that I am obviously not catching the mistakes anymore.

Map TC0090 was placed in game before I moved it to TC0100. I can't really remove it because Weidu doesn't have a "Delete file" function. I plan on packaging a .35 full mod which will not include this area. Map TC0024 is used for the cutscenes of Althon and "others". Notice that it looks like the home that you meet him in? Since it was a cutscene only area, I removed all extras - creatures, travel regions, containers, etc. So it is in the game, just not an area you can normally travel to.

2 - Wow, I totally screwed up the actions on that dialog. It should be the Bane clerics turning hostile.

6 - Althon's voice set is louder because it is not a "canned" voiceset from IWD, PST, or BG. It was recorded by TheWizard. I can try to play with Audacity this weekend to see if I can bring the volume down some. It will probably never match the standard voicesets though.

14 - Uhm, yeah, that's it. I never made it. :wub:

18 - Interesting because Becky was not there after I returned from the vault.

22 - Can you give me more details? Which doorway in which area?

24 - From IWD, but will also be used later if you have Fala'stra join you (also later). Was the doorway highlighted? The script should hid the door (mirror) and the containers.

If you are restarting -

Meepo - please try with him as both an NPC and just as a guide.
Ril - same.
Mystery treasure isn't fixed yet, so you should still see these.
I am curious to see if only Rurik has the leave party dialog problems or does everyone.
Are any areas causing CTDs? Repeatedly?

Thanks gang for listing all of these.

Classic Adventures

#30 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:37 PM

Althon -

Fixed sword and shield. BAMs were not aligned correctly. Althon is technically a "Fighter" because he is a fallen paladin. His shield is flagged for only paladins. Therefore, the conflict. Now fighters and paladins can carry it. Sword did not have the right BAM file. Also fixed its abilities. The sword now removes any Regeneration icon from the enemy as well as removes the regeneration ability of trolls and others that uses this special troll ring. This does not mean that the sword will kill a troll like a Flame Tongue sword, only that the troll stops regenerating. You still need a way to kill it (fire or acid).

Classic Adventures

#31 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

SirBB:

Don't suppose you could post the Althon fixes here as a minipatch so I can keep playing through without waiting for .35 or doing my own edits?

Incidentally, I meant to post this on the Rurik thread after more testing, but Paraway at least will leave the inn and chase you around the city looking for a join/no join answer if you walk too close to the inn. Sort of funny, but also surely it shouldn't be like that? Althon seems to work OK with a player-initiated join dialog after you reject him, though I should test some more -- surely the others could too.

EDIT to add:
I'm also guessing that it's supposed to be a Bastard Sword, not Long Sword (as his current proficiency)...

Edited by flem, 30 January 2006 - 06:06 PM.

#32 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:48 PM

Althon's sword is a Bastard Sword and I have a version of Althon that changes the proficiences to match his sword. I spent last night fixing his leaving/joining dialog. Seems that when Paraway was with the team it worked, but not when he was missing (basically an action in the dialog files that wasn't where it needed to be). I have also fixed those typos in the dialogs. I will probably get a "CC034a" patch out ("a" for Althon) later this week if I can test everything one more time.

By the way, I got Rurik working fine now when he leaves you. I will test some more, but his dialogs are different from everyone else since he has the shop to run (more dialogs). I should have those fixes in this "hotfix" this week.

Classic Adventures

#33 MythrylEagle

MythrylEagle
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:55 PM

Started .34. I am successful dropping Shadow and Dirbert from party. However, they immediatly chase me down and I have to choose to add them back to party or they leave permanently ( they appear to wander away and leave map) I might prefer to add them back at a later time. A "Wait here" dialog needs to be added. My current workaround is to drop them inside one of the buildings and exit before they can initiate dialog with me.

I noticed that Dirbert still appears to have the ++ Bow and ++++ Long Bow proficiencies. I realize this is discussed in another of the topic trees but not sure if it has been resolved completely.

#34 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 02:21 PM

Dirbert actually has 4 in long bow and 2 in dual-weapon (being a ranger). Why Bow and Long Bow are both displayed is unknown to me. I didn't give me proficiences in both and DLTCEP shows proficiencies in Long Bow and Dual. So maybe the game engine gives him "Bow" and "Long Bow"?

As for dialogs, before Chapter 2, you only get the option of them leaving you. This is many because there are no permanent locations during Chapter 1 that they could safely stay in. I can have them stay in place if you want, but if this is a building in town, you will never get them back (assume they get captured or killed in the attack). I guess they could hang around in the ravine or something though why would they want to?

In Chapter 2, you get the option of having them go to the Saltmarsh inn and meet you there. I thought about misleading you by allowing them to head back to the Ol' Boar Inn (which may be under attack) but that would be mean of me. :)

Classic Adventures

#35 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:01 PM

NI seems to show TCDIRBER.CRE having 2 points in the BG1 (!) "Bow" proficiency. Maybe some quirk in how he was created?

Thanks for your continued efforts on this stuff, Sir BB.

#36 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:12 PM

No, I don't think SoA looks at the CRE file that way. Maybe BG1 does. Look at his file and you will see 2 proficiences, the 2 I mentioned above. I see what you are talking about but if it is for BG1, then it doesn't matter for SoA.

Classic Adventures

#37 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

I don't have DLTCEP on this computer, so I don't know what that shows. But open the file in NI, and you'll see: the BG2 proficiencies are correctly listed under "effects", but there's an additional thing under his attributes (on the edit tab): "Bow proficiency - 2" (between Large sword, Small sword, Spears, Blunt -- all the BG1 profs).

It's true that it has no effect on the game, but as ME and I have noted it shows up on the character record and doesn't look good. I've attached an edited-out version which may or may not help...

Attached Files

#38 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:30 PM

I don't have a problem with editing Dirbert's CRE file to remove this. However, I do want to test it with some leveling up and maybe dualclassing just to make sure this won't become a problem later. I still don't understand why the game created those 2 points in the generic Bow category. Anyway, I have patch CA034a uploaded here. Dirbert is not in it since I want another night or so to try his changes.

Classic Adventures

#39 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:04 PM

Installed .34A... With it, old savegames have Rurik not talking to me after he leaves the party. So, another fresh run...

Edited by flem, 02 February 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#40 flem

flem
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

OK, this with a fresh .34A game.

1) Paraway says "never seen an Green Elves" -- should be "any", I guess

2) No (apparent) check in the ravine area to destroy the Drow cloak, so it lasts forever, making Shadow very very effective.

3) Tree not going hostile to you -- or was this because I killed Belak so fast?

4) The great wand of entangle cost issue! I believe (finally playing a Druid this time!) I've figured it out. When you get the wand from Belak's corpse, it comes with 10 charges. Rurik is no longer a 2x shop (like Sahaugin Priestess or "special" Ad Mart), so he won't give you 14K any more, but he still offers way more than its value: 6K. When he sells it back to you (for ~2500 this game), it only comes with *1* charge and he offers you 600 for it after. So somehow this wand is getting -de-charged after sale, hence the wierd price fluctuation. I'm guessing if you change whatever attribute so that it's sold back to you with 10 charges again, the listed value would work.

Then maybe you could un-nerf Rurik's shop... :lol:

5) Incidentally -- and this is a question, not a bug -- does CA include a Tutufix-style nerfing of low-level Totemic Druid summonses? I've been curious to try the kit, but am afraid it's overpowered here...