[Release] Beregost Crash Fixer

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#141 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

I imagine the shell integration doesn't add the quotes for the filepath when you double-click on it. Can you adjust that in the file associations options?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#142 -Deedlit-

-Deedlit-

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:32 AM

How do I do that? (<---- complete idiot)

I dont know,I tested the new method and works in both ways (eliminating spaces,or placing the ""),whereas with spaces or without quotes,it doesn't (this speaking of manual commands and file .bat);double clicking still gives me main class not found,which is strange since the .class it's there!

#143 kev5047

kev5047
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:43 AM

EDIT: Nevermind, I was being dense...

Anyway, I got the .sav, did it all, it said no errors, but it still doesn't work =\ I think I read somewhere that if you get the crash during a save it's gone, so I guess it's gone :(

Edited by kev5047, 11 September 2010 - 04:57 PM.

#144 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

Hey,

I finally got the infamous crash, as well, and I'm afraid that Beregost still doesn't load(though I tried my best with the fixer). I thought other people might have the same problem, so here's my saved game, zipped, in case it might be useful. The Weidu.log is below. It's an EasyTutu install.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #2 // Additional Elminster Encounter: v12
~BG1UB/SETUP-BG1UB.TP2~ #0 #25 // Elven Charm and Sleep Racial Resistance: v12
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project: Required Modifications: v18
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project: Banters, Quests, and Interjections: v18
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // The BG1 NPC Project: Xan's Romance Core (teen content): v18
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #16 // The BG1 NPC Project: NPCs can be sent to wait in an inn: v18
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #25 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script: v18
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #29 // The BG1 NPC Project: Cloakwood areas availability in Chapter One -> Open four Cloakwood areas (everything but the Mines): v18
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #200 // The BG1 NPC Project: Player-Initiated Dialogues: v18
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Force All Dialogue to Pause Game: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1010 // More Interjections: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1080 // Add Bags of Holding: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1090 // Exotic Item Pack: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1110 // Add Map Notes: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2220 // Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2230 // Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #2231 // Description Updates for Make +x/+y Weapons Consistent Component: v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3121 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not fight or complain about reputation) -> NPCs can be angry about reputation but never leave (Salk): v8
~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3125 // Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation: v8
~1PP_FLAMINGSWORDS/1PP_FLAMINGSWORDS.TP2~ #0 #0 // One Pixel Productions: Flaming Swords v1
~TUTUGUI/SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate I GUI for Tutu, SoA/ToB, or BGT
~TUTUGUI/SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #1 // Support for The Biggs widescreen mod
~WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2~ #0 #0 // Widescreen Mod: Widescreen Mod v2.1

Attached Files

Edited by Kulyok, 19 February 2011 - 11:30 PM.

#145 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:08 AM

Hey,

I finally got the infamous crash, as well, and I'm afraid that Beregost still doesn't load(though I tried my best with the fixer).

There is actually a fix for the original problem (not just the savegames) now, again by Ascension64. I can't remember where it lives in its own right, but it ships with SCS. It installs with the "generic fixes/minor statistic tweaks" component, but if you want it by itself, just download SCS, don't install it, and put

INCLUDE ~scs/crossplatform.tph~
INCLUDE ~scs/misc/beregost.tph~

LAUNCH_ACTION_MACRO ~Ascension_beregost_fix~

into your own tp2 file. I don't think it will save an already-corrupted savegame, though.

Edited by DavidWallace, 20 February 2011 - 03:08 AM.

#146 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:15 AM

I'll have a look, thanks.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#147 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:50 AM

Thank you(<- and for the SCS fix, too)!

And thank you, DavidW, I'll take a look right away! I had no idea SCS had a crash fixer.

#148 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

I've had a small look. It doesn't load in vanilla EasyTutu because a new door DOOR3337 is added to FW3300.ARE (Beregost) and does not have an appropriate entry in FW3300.WED. Funny though, I assumed BG1NPC Project added such a door, but I cannot find the code anywhere in v18. The door is supposedly requiring a key B!KEY01.ITM to open, which contains berelinde's prefix, but you don't have any of her mods installed.

However, once I delete the door, Beregost is accessible without problem. Did this saved game run with one of berelinde's mods, and you recently uninstalled it?

Anyway, I have attached an edited saved game without that door. If it still doesn't load for you, then this is a red herring, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any corruption that I could see.

Attached Files

--------------
Retired Modder

#149 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:47 PM

I've had a small look. It doesn't load in vanilla EasyTutu because a new door DOOR3337 is added to FW3300.ARE (Beregost) and does not have an appropriate entry in FW3300.WED. Funny though, I assumed BG1NPC Project added such a door, but I cannot find the code anywhere in v18. The door is supposedly requiring a key B!KEY01.ITM to open, which contains berelinde's prefix, but you don't have any of her mods installed.

However, once I delete the door, Beregost is accessible without problem. Did this saved game run with one of berelinde's mods, and you recently uninstalled it?

The Gavin mod added that door (and a .wed entry for it). Ironically, it also included your Beregost fix (presumably what SCS now also has), so reinstalling it should fix both issues.

Edited by Miloch, 20 February 2011 - 08:48 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#150 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Yep, I had Gavin installed at some point, but I just couldn't bring myself to play his romance beyond a certain point, so I uninstalled it. It seems the mod doesn't uninstall itself properly.

Thank you very much. I also have the fix(from SCS) installed now, so here's hoping I won't meet with this problem again.
EDIT: And it loads, too! Amazing!

Edited by Kulyok, 20 February 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#151 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

It seems the mod doesn't uninstall itself properly.

Most mods don't uninstall themselves from saved games any more than they install themselves into saved games. Newer WeiDU commands make this possible in theory, but it could break your saves. An uninstall would revert to the save present when the mod was installed, meaning any player progress since then would be obliterated.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#152 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

I wasn't aware of that, thank you. Will know better now. I guess I should mention the save game issue in that clean backup thread on PPG, to warn other users.

#153 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

Glad it's all sorted out.
For the information of others, this reported crash is a saved game incompatibility issue rather than a Beregost corruption.

--------------
Retired Modder

#154 DavidWallace

DavidWallace
  • Validating
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:26 AM

Thank you(<- and for the SCS fix, too)!

And thank you, DavidW, I'll take a look right away! I had no idea SCS had a crash fixer.

Just to be completely clear: I didn't write it, all I did was take Ascension64's code and give it a home. (I was concerned that otherwise no-one would hear about it - dropping it into SCS seemed a reasonably good way to get it widely distributed.)

#155 -Curwen-

-Curwen-

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

There is nothing with Beregost, but there is something very wrong about the way that

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #4020 // ToB-Style NPCs: v7

interacts with

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #1210 // Use BG Walking Speeds (BETA): v7

specifically by corrupting _GARRIC[246].CRE, which is why the Beregost area does not load when the player character is Level 2 or higher. _GARRIC.CRE is unaffected. I'll report this for further investigation in the BG2 Tweaks forum, but for now, uninstalling the ToB-Style NPCs component should fix the problem.

This is the problem I hit, but my _GARRIC2 was okay, it was _GARRIC4 and _GARRIC6 which were corrupt - resulting in a CTD when entering Beregost in Chapter 3.

My workaround for this was to copy over _GARRIC4 and _GARRIC6 with _GARRIC2, as my copy of _GARRIC2 appears to be okay.

Even so, if I then edit the XP on _GARRIC[46] after overwriting them with _GARRIC2 the problem with those versions returns. Specifically it seems to be this Effect:

_GARRIC2:
Signature: SPWI
Version: 112
Type: Attacks per round bonus (1)
Targettype: Unknown (0)
Unknown: 00 00 00 00 h
Value: 233
Modifier type: Inc/Dec (0)
Duration: Instant/Limited (0)

_GARRIC4 and _GARRIC6:
Signature: SPWI
Version: 112
Type: Attacks per round bonus (1)
Targettype: Unknown (1230458963)
Unknown: 31 31 32 00 h
Value: 1
Modifier type: Unknown (1230458963)
Duration: Unknown (3289394)

I'm no BG modder so that's about as far as my novice investigation can take me. For now I'll just overwrite _GARRIC[46] with _GARRIC2 and leave him as is - that should allow me to salvage my game, and I don't intend to take him on board anyhow.

#156 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

I don't know if this issue has been addressed by BG2Tweaks. The thread is at http://forums.gibber...showtopic=19329, but I am unclear as to whether ths issue has been followed up.

--------------
Retired Modder

#157 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

I don't know if this issue has been addressed by BG2Tweaks. The thread is at http://forums.gibber...showtopic=19329, but I am unclear as to whether ths issue has been followed up.

Installing these two components caused no corruption to any of my _GARRIC[246]?.CRE files from vanilla Tutu. This problem would be easier to correct if somebody could provide a copy of one of these files before it gets corrupted (from bg2_tweaks/backup/1210).

#158 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

Here, have it all.

Attached Files

--------------
Retired Modder

#159 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:39 PM

Thanks, I was able to track it down to bad offset-adjustment code in the walking speed component.

#160 -Azlis-

-Azlis-

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

I was finally able to play BG1 on my macbook and it all went down with this crash :'(

I've try to install the required JRE but it doesn't seem to work for me, the application won't even open without crashing. Is there anything to do in my case ? I'll be very happy if someone has a solution :s

Thanks in advance and sorry for my awful english (wich is not my natural language for my defense :P)