Photo

What is the saddest thing you have done while playing BG?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:21 AM

The saddest thing in Bg 2 for me is Viconia's epilogue. Even if it's something that could have happened any time, it hurts. You go through her tort... ehemm, romance to get that sad ending. Only for that I almost always install Edwin-ToB alternate Viconia's epilogue if I plan to romance her. It's way much better. I'm a good-endings addict.

Yoshimo's end is also very disgusting. Not only I like him a lot, he is very powerfull and his end is a real pain.

The most sad thing I did and always do is trying to install new romance mods for my male PC (female mods) to later not being capable of not romancing Jaheira, I'm so attached to her that it hurts me to:

-don't take her into the party (appart from her usefulness which for me is very high), I feel like betraying her. The same happens with Minsc and Imoen, I feel that they are my friends and have put their, possible without me peaceful lives, at danger for me that I'm not able to leave them or to get they chunked. I always reload if that happens.

-don't romance her and decide for another female. Yes, she can be annoying at times, but SHE IS JAHEIRA!!! She is lefting her organisation for you, fighting all kind of internal conflicts for you.

So you can see, I'm totally sick with this game. I will never be able to stop playing it. It's a drug.

Quoted for emphasis.

Sad Vicky ending, both romanced and not.(The non made me believe that maybe she wasn't just a evil cruel harridan, and I managed to make myself play through with her, with my evil guy, but it didn't turn out too well. She just wasn't evil enough.

But the emphasis really goes on that last part with Jaheira. So, hear hear.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#22 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 05:53 AM

There is an alternative happy ending for Viconia??? Wheeeee! :D

<runs off to put his downloading hat on>

Yes SK and it is a very funny ending, at least for me it was!

And you should take note of that and make a really happy ending for Chrysta, if you don't want me to send you again to your exile in the desert!!! :devil:

*Sorry, I just cannot quote decently. It's going to be a loooong road until I'm able to mod it seems...

quote edit correction by Sir K coz I felt sorry for ya

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 03 June 2007 - 06:06 AM.

Speaking is not communication.

Excusatio non petita, acusatio manifiesta.

#23 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 06:13 AM

I think Cernd, his son, and his ending were the saddest things I experienced. The first time I had Cernd in my party all the way through, I was romancing Aerie, and after finding out Aerie was pregnant (my first time playing Aerie's romance) I so desperately wanted to just smack Cernd and tell him point-blank: "Cernd. You have a son. Go be a father."

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#24 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:08 PM

Yes, Cernd and his son's ending were tragic >.<;;. I for one always liked Cernd's voiceset, but his blindness sometimes really irritated me.

About the actual topic though, I must admit I am one of the people who reload several times to save as many NPCs as possible. I also sometimes trek back through several of my saves just so I can give a single NPC a happy ending if I forgot to. And I feel terribly guilty not having Jaheira or Minsc in my party. And Imoen? Her not being in my party is simply incomprehensible.

Oh, and I also tried being evil. Really I did. That didn't turn out too well. *sighs*.

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#25 Mayro

Mayro
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:06 AM

I also tried to play an evil character, a neutral evil one playing with the role of Viconia, a bad guy with a good heart, who in the end of the game (after the Bhaal's tears test) turn to good alignment, but it didn't work. I found it really hard to act as evil in some quests and then start turning good while my Jaheira romance progressed, so in the end I started a new game, this time with a True Neutral pc and then it worked more or less how I had planned.

I hope that The Mod for the wicked, when it's finished allows this kind of behaviour.

Ah, and I'm glad to not be the only one who feels that not taking Minsc, Jaheira and Imoen is impossible. That is the reason for me to wish that GemRB allows to take more than five party members with you. Let's continue wishing!
Speaking is not communication.

Excusatio non petita, acusatio manifiesta.

#26 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:21 AM

... Doesn't anyone consider that Imoen may, you know, turn into a Slayer in her sleep and slaughter your whole party? Or worse, seduce Kelsey?

#27 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:22 AM

... Doesn't anyone consider that Imoen may, you know, turn into a Slayer in her sleep and slaughter your whole party? Or worse, seduce Kelsey?

Or turn into Kelsey? O.O

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#28 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:30 AM

Yes, Cernd and his son's ending were tragic >.<;;. I for one always liked Cernd's voiceset, but his blindness sometimes really irritated me.

About the actual topic though, I must admit I am one of the people who reload several times to save as many NPCs as possible. I also sometimes trek back through several of my saves just so I can give a single NPC a happy ending if I forgot to. And I feel terribly guilty not having Jaheira or Minsc in my party. And Imoen? Her not being in my party is simply incomprehensible.

Oh, and I also tried being evil. Really I did. That didn't turn out too well. *sighs*.

I tried being evil. And then I had to kill Jaheira. :crying: :crying: :crying: Stupid Harper quest! Minsc got killed too, and Immy left me. And I couldn't even be properly evil with Viconia. It made me all :crying: (Mainly because of the killing Jaheira and Minsc, Immy leaving was pretty sad)
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

#29 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

Starting BG2 and discovering that Bioware forced me to start game with Imoen (that died in previous game), Jaheira (that died in previous game) and Minsc (that I killed in previous game). I just *love* how they handle actions and consequences.

#30 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:34 PM

Resurrection is your friend.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#31 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:17 PM

In case of Imoen, I prefer Finger of Death, myself.

#32 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

Resurrection is your friend.

Do what fuhrer says you have done is your friend. :Roleplaying = Obedience:

#33 thecursed

thecursed

Just a ghost from the past

• 680 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:48 AM

how many of you actually feel obligated to take immy back into the fold? its kinda wierd to just go "ok now i've come all this way to save you from a horrible death and such, but there is no more place for you in this group"

i've left her there a couple of times, but for most the gnome stays stranded.
"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune.... they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures"
Gerrard of the Weatherlight

Wisdom: Distinguish the extraordinary from the spectacular

Beware My ever shifting avatar!!

#34 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:03 AM

I can never bring myself to leave her behind, and I have tried. Those few times I've actually attempted to abandon her, I just avoided talking to her. But then I've lost heart and never finished the game.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#35 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

Usually, I take Imoen along, since she is "my" sister, but I'm not that attached to her as I am to Jaheira. I can't play a game without Jaheira.

When I finish ToB, I cry everytime I watch the last movie and read the epilogues. I've tried it with and without music; I only cry when the music is turned on. It's so incredibly sad.

#36 thecursed

thecursed

Just a ghost from the past

• 680 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:10 AM

music does have an impact on the mood thats for sure. funny how we all have our "favorite" NPC we just can't go without.
"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune.... they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures"
Gerrard of the Weatherlight

Wisdom: Distinguish the extraordinary from the spectacular

Beware My ever shifting avatar!!

#37 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

I always take her. I like her. If it w3as someone like Khalid, I would kill him myself when I got there. You put me through all of this just to save you? *Sword is raised up and comes down swiftly beheading the stupid half-elf."

Edited by Gabrielle, 16 June 2007 - 05:43 PM.

This is The End.

#38 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:46 PM

Comes down... beheading.

He was lying down?

#39 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:57 PM

:blink: Half-elves are shorter than humans. Raised my arm up with my sword, comes down, *Splat!*

This is The End.

#40 Kellen

Kellen

• 7092 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, but the only way I'm picturing it is you cutting his head in half vertically.