Photo

What is the saddest thing you have done while playing BG?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#41 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:31 PM

The saddest thing I've ever done (not as in crying-sad, but as in that's-just-sad sad) is that the first time I played Baldur's Gate, I played as a sorceress, and got killed in the first battle. Against the wolves...and then didn't play again for over 3 years.

Luckily, I gave it a second chance, and have been addicted since.

#42 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

how many of you actually feel obligated to take immy back into the fold? its kinda wierd to just go "ok now i've come all this way to save you from a horrible death and such, but there is no more place for you in this group"

i've left her there a couple of times, but for most the gnome stays stranded.

I would have to heartily agree here. I could never, ever abandon Imoen after Spellhold. I mean, come on... she's your little sister, even if Bioware didn't do enough to expand her (in my opinion).

Oh, by the way, what is this I hear about ToB epilogues with music?! Is there a music function you can switch on or something?

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#43 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:28 AM

Ya. You hit power on your speakers...

Honestly, I would check under game options if you haven't heard epilogue music. Make sure music volume was loud enough.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#44 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:38 AM

Oh, by the way, what is this I hear about ToB epilogues with music?! Is there a music function you can switch on or something?

I'm not sure what you mean. What I was talking about is reading the epilogues ingame. When you finish playing ToB, there's the final movie with a bit of music near the end and then the epilogue screens with the details about what happened to everyone. If you turn off the music for the entire game (->options) before the final dialogue with Solar, you won't hear any music during the epilogues, as well.

#45 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:39 AM

The saddest thing I've ever done (not as in crying-sad, but as in that's-just-sad sad) is that the first time I played Baldur's Gate, I played as a sorceress, and got killed in the first battle. Against the wolves...and then didn't play again for over 3 years.

Well done for keeping the faith :cheers:

Have to agree with everyone who can't bear to leave Immy behind, although I still find it hard to do the same with Jaheira, Minsc AND Viconia! Makes room in my party for extra NPCs somewhat limited... after all these years, I STILL haven't played with Nalia, Anomen, Mazzy and Valygar in my party long enough to get all their banters. :)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#46 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

If at first time you don't succeed, try and try again.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#47 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

Ya. You hit power on your speakers...

Honestly, I would check under game options if you haven't heard epilogue music. Make sure music volume was loud enough.

I'm not sure what you mean. What I was talking about is reading the epilogues ingame. When you finish playing ToB, there's the final movie with a bit of music near the end and then the epilogue screens with the details about what happened to everyone. If you turn off the music for the entire game (->options) before the final dialogue with Solar, you won't hear any music during the epilogues, as well.

Ah, I see. Thanks! Hmm... I shall have to try that again in my game when I get to ToB. Funny, though, because I never turned off music...

Luckily indeed! It would have been even more sad if you abandoned it forever. :) Hear hear to what Sir K said!

#48 Zoraciel Ivtel

Zoraciel Ivtel
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

I usually don't have a problem abandoning Immy because I've become too attached to my other characters to drop any of them.

#49 -jastey*-

-jastey*-

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:59 AM

Starting BG2 and discovering that Bioware forced me to start game with Imoen (that died in previous game), Jaheira (that died in previous game) and Minsc (that I killed in previous game). I just *love* how they handle actions and consequences.

Amen. Maybe it wasn't "sad" as meant in this topic, but I was shocked by this beginning, turning my first playing expereince in something like horror and great disappointment. Well, my friend played BG1 with this party constellation to the end, so for him everything was fine. When I started the game I somehow hoped to see *my* companions...

But, what gave me the shudders, is the BGII Imoen - changed portrait, changed soundset (at least for the German version). Ugly picture, ugly voice - my PC found herself taking on a party member she truly believed would turn out as something like a shapeshifter. Discovering this person was meant to be my BG1 Immy was... painful. I never came over the shock, and I never feel like taking her along after Spellhold. Next time I'll play BGII I will change her portrait back, give her the BG1 soundset and mute the other lines. Maybe I can get accustomed to her then.

-jastey

#50 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:05 AM

To me it was the other way around: I started BG1 years after BG2 and thought: "Erm, who is this rude whelp? Imoen in BG2 looked much more cultured... And what has happened to Viconia's lovely portrait? And how come Edwin suddenly looks like twenty years older, hey!" Needless to say, I installed BG2 Tweaks right away.

If I remember correctly, though, Disney voices Imoen in the English version of both games.

It was rather sad to start BG1, see Khalid and know he was doomed, though. :(

#51 thecursed

thecursed

Just a ghost from the past

• 680 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

same here... after BG2 i tried the 1... i didn't get very far thats for sure.
"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune.... they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures"
Gerrard of the Weatherlight

Wisdom: Distinguish the extraordinary from the spectacular

Beware My ever shifting avatar!!

#52 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:15 AM

Repeatedly stabbing Imoen with a rusty dagger and watching her bleed.

#53 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:36 AM

Ahhh, yes I have tendency to accidentally behead Anomen. I don't mean to. Honest I don't....
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#54 Delight

Delight
  • 660 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:45 AM

Discovering that there were no dancings, minstrels and feasting complete with oxen, hogs and boars roasted whole in Jovial Juggler.

Edited by Delight, 19 June 2007 - 05:45 AM.

#55 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

Ahhh, yes I have tendency to accidentally behead Anomen. I don't mean to. Honest I don't....

Friendly fire. Sorry about that Anomen, didn't you shouldn't have gotten in the way of that fireball.
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#56 EvaineDian

EvaineDian
  • Validating
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

But, what gave me the shudders, is the BGII Imoen - changed portrait, changed soundset (at least for the German version). Ugly picture, ugly voice.

It's the other way round for me - I dislike her BG 1 voice. "Hey, it's me, Imoen!" always freaks me out. She sure is very different in BG2, but I thought she changed for the better. I actually started to like her and keep her in the party quite often, whereas in BG1, I might accidentally flood the Cloakwood Mines while she is still in there...
Not that I agree with the act of changing characters and the plot so massively. It still pains me to see how the cool and creepy villain Sarevok was brutally butchered in ToB. He should have stayed dead. :(

#57 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:27 AM

Well, mine must have been the first time I launged my first fireball against the huge Gibberling swarm in the cloakwood in BG1. Needles to say there wasn't very many left alive, from my group. :devil:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#58 thecursed

thecursed

Just a ghost from the past

• 680 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:58 AM

Friendly fire. Sorry about that Anomen, didn't you shouldn't have gotten in the way of that fireball.

best way to hit a monster you can't target...!!!
"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune.... they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures"
Gerrard of the Weatherlight

Wisdom: Distinguish the extraordinary from the spectacular

Beware My ever shifting avatar!!

#59 IronDragon

IronDragon
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

The saddest (most pathetic) thing involved my first time through SoA. In the sewers under the Copper Coronet I discovered the charmed old man with the Carrion Crawler friend had a gold piece on his table?but I couldn?t take it. I remember thinking that this was probably the old man?s only money?I guess I really am a paladin at heart.
Now I free him from his hypnotic bondage?then take the money from his table?hey he left it there. :whistling:

#60 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:48 AM

The saddest (most pathetic) thing involved my first time through SoA. In the sewers under the Copper Coronet I discovered the charmed old man with the Carrion Crawler friend had a gold piece on his table?but I couldn?t take it. I remember thinking that this was probably the old man?s only money?I guess I really am a paladin at heart.
Now I free him from his hypnotic bondage?then take the money from his table?hey he left it there. :whistling:

Whoah, Quallo is under hypnotic bondage? Or do you just mean that you took Lilarcor?

And I hear you on the gold piece thing. :) Although I never noticed it, I always give money to the beggars. You are really a paladin at heart. :) :cheers:

On that note, another sad thing I did whilst playing (amongst the many) was allow myself to cheat to bring the Carrion Crawler blood into the game for Lilarcor. I'm not sure if you can just pickpocket it for the blood (although I will certainly try next time), it's just that I couldn't bear to kill it while Quallo was standing there saying "He's my only friend..."

Edited by Shadowhawke, 25 June 2007 - 04:50 AM.