Photo

Lionheart-Extracting the Maps

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#101 Edheldil

Edheldil
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:44 AM

My original plan was to create updated versions of sites I previously created for Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale on my homepage and add additional ones for BGI, IWDII, Planescape Torment and possibly Lionheart and The Temple of Elemental Evil

Hi, David,

Some time ago I have created site lionheart.eowyn.cz with information on the file formats - it's not complete yet by any means, it's missing some stuff I have made (GIMP plugin for reading FRM16 files) and I have since found a problem with FRM16 type 68 description, but it still has some useful info.

Corrections, submissions etc. are as always welcome.

Regards,
Edheldil

#102 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Some time ago I have created site lionheart.eowyn.cz with information on the file formats - it's not complete yet by any means, it's missing some stuff I have made (GIMP plugin for reading FRM16 files) and I have since found a problem with FRM16 type 68 description, but it still has some useful info.

Have you made (and compiled) tools that work with any of the lionheart formats? If so, where can I find them? Nice to see some progress on figuring out the file formats, btw :).

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#103 Edheldil

Edheldil
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:48 AM

Have you made (and compiled) tools that work with any of the lionheart formats? If so, where can I find them? Nice to see some progress on figuring out the file formats, btw :).

I have updated the wiki a bit. At the moment the current tools are not in a presentable state, so what little is available is in the GIT repository on the title page. Mostly Python code, I think :)

#104 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:45 AM

Hello, I wonder if henceforth we have a utility/a tool for Undat/Extract/View the Lionheart game files ?,
-Thank You . :rolleyes:

Edited by salomonkane, 31 October 2011 - 01:48 AM.

Quo Vadis ?

#105 Edheldil

Edheldil
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:17 AM

Hello, I wonder if henceforth we have a utility/a tool for Undat/Extract/View the Lionheart game files ?,
-Thank You . :rolleyes:

What game files do you mean? If you go to my wiki[1], there is description for
.ZAX (and 99% of all the text datafiles regardless of extension, because they have the same general format)
.WAY
.FRM16 (there's some aspect I found recently still missing, I will fix it soon)
.SEQ16

I have made some minor inroads to .MDL16, but I am distracted with other projects and RealLife ™ at the moment.

Hmm, I have probably forgot to push the tools :).

Edheldil

[1] http://lionheart.eowyn.cz

Edited by Edheldil, 31 October 2011 - 02:17 AM.

#106 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:45 AM

Hello Edheldil,

Sorry but I'm a little lost in your very technical (for me, and for the moment) documentation :lol: .

In fact how to decompress the. DAT [1.5 G], please ?

data.dat - ZIP archive of actual game data files. Look below for its contents. It can be unpacked in place [FIXME: how?] to allow easy modding without need to pack it each time.

-Is there a tool to do it, as undat.exe that we know for TOEE or Arcanum ? :woot:

I am looking initially to explore the sounds [./Music,./Sounds] and spells, then , the tiles and maps ...

BTW did you know if we can convert some LH speels , or CRE. animation in a .BAM/BG transposable format like : BMP/AVI/Gif. ... ?

TY . :cheers:

Edited by salomonkane, 31 October 2011 - 05:53 AM.

Quo Vadis ?

#107 Edheldil

Edheldil
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

In fact how to decompress the. DAT [1.5 G], please ?
-Is there a tool to do it, as undat.exe that we know for TOEE or Arcanum ? :woot:

Should be possible with good-enough ZIP unpacker - something like WinRAR, perhaps?

I am looking initially to explore the sounds [./Music,./Sounds] and spells, then , the tiles and maps ...

There are no tiles like in Infinity Engine - the map is constructed by placing objects on a textured background.
Re music, GemRB can play OGG files directly, btw ;-)

BTW did you know if we can convert some LH speels , or CRE. animation in a .BAM/BG transposable format like : BMP/AVI/Gif. ... ?

IIRC unlike IE, avatars are real 3d models kept in .GR2 files[1], so at the foreseeable future I do not see a way to convert them to creature BAMs without too much manual work.

Edheldil

[1] Which is a proprietary and obfuscated format of RAD Games

#108 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

how to decompress the. DAT

- something like WinRAR, perhaps?

-Oh, How beautiful life is, When everything is as simple ^_^ ...

-Thank you very much Edheldil .

I do not see a way to convert them to creature BAMs without too much manual work.

-I've in mind LH Charac's Spirit Avatar (especially the Red one) :

Posted Image

-And what about speels spells ? It is the same problems ?

Edited by salomonkane, 31 October 2011 - 08:14 AM.

Quo Vadis ?

#109 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

And to return about the Maps :

Would it possible to Export/Modified this Map (for Infinity Engine) or to Extract the carcass of this dragon ? :
Posted Image

FWI, Edheldil, :
http://www.baldursga...html#post279665

Edited by salomonkane, 31 October 2011 - 08:20 AM.

Quo Vadis ?

#110 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:09 AM

I do not see a way to convert them to creature BAMs without too much manual work.

See Porting animations from other games. Unfortunately IIRC, the animations for these three spirits are very limited, and so I do not think there would be nearly enough content (attack, death, get hit, etc. sequences) to be able to port to the IE and fill the necessary animation sequences. The other animations from the game are technically possible, though.

-And what about speels ? It is the same problems ?

I'm not familiar with what a "speel" is...

Edited by Sam., 27 January 2012 - 11:46 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#111 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

And to return about the Maps :

Would it possible to export/Modified this Map (for Infinity Engine) or to extract the carcass of this dragon ? :
Posted Image

I'm afraid at this point your only option would be to recreate it using screenshots from within the game. Tedious, but certainly doable.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#112 Edheldil

Edheldil
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image

-And what about speels ? It is the same problems ?

Cast effects are in MDL16 files, could be quite easily extracted
Animation stances are in GR2 files
Spell descriptions are in text files, but I do not see them reusable in DnD ruleset.
Dunno about projectiles
Sounds are easy

#113 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

Re music, GemRB can play OGG files directly, btw ;-)

The game does use the OGG format for virtually all of their sound/soundset/music files. PS gui can convert OGG files to WAV, and vice versa. Alternatively, installing the K-Lite Codec Pack allows you to listen do OGG files (as well as MANY others) directly from programs like Windows Media Player.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#114 salomonkane

salomonkane
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:52 AM

It's been a long time I did not play this great game ...
The screen come from GameSpot :
http://www.gamespot....dQLsBgu7h6b7R_h
So,
How can I find this Map?
Is it somewhere indexed in the . DAT?
What are its references ?
In what part of the files of the game is it located?

If the screenshot is the only hypothesis to export the Map :
Do I have to replay a game, in order to make a screenshot ?
In which case: in which part of the game may I found this Map ?

In any case, if I can not see/edit Maps with an editor dedicated to LH , a save-game located not far from this map would be useful ...

-Any help are welcome .
-Thank you .

Edited by salomonkane, 31 October 2011 - 12:03 PM.

Quo Vadis ?

#115 -AWizardDidIt-

-AWizardDidIt-

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:10 PM

Excuse the crazy necro but I went ahead and extracted Lionheart's maps (using the same method Mordeus laid out in his posts elsewhere on this forum) and wanted to throw them up here in case anyone wanted. Should be able to download them at my gdrive at the link below... bout 150 maps of various types (outdoor, city, dungeon, building interiors)

Lionheart map rips

#116 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

Holy hell, man, wonderful work! Thank you for sharing :)

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#117 -A Wizard Did It-

-A Wizard Did It-

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

You're welcome :)

#118 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

That's awesome! :clap:

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg