A Sarevok romance

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#61 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

It's high time the rodeo came to town!

• 160 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

I agree, you have to do it the Baldur's Gate way, otherwise it wouldn't feel like the game...

Overall I like it, the only thing I have is this, Sarevok would not stutter at any place at any time for any reason. Period. He may internally feel uncertainty, but he would never for any reason show it.

On a different subject. Someone mentioned the Alignment talks and how they are pretty random, well I think an idea I had could work for that. Maybe there is a way to code so the alignment talks happen in a specific order and after certain lovetalks if the Romance is Active, and if the romance ever ends they proceed as they normally would.

Maybe, but remember, it's an awkward conversation, an unusual topic and the other three lines followed a steadier path with a somewhat more...confident Sarevok. And remember too, he paused for a moment when trying to find a way to describe the planar sphere.

For the Alignment talks, my brother says that fiddling with the globals will do it, but neither one of us is sure how.

Nix has a point. Any thoughts on how to find another way to distinguish non-relation?

I figure I'll change it to, say, physically or something along those lines. Any suggestions?

Edited by HighTimeRodeo, 03 January 2009 - 11:48 AM.

That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

"They're dragons," Entreri muttered. "And I know how Drow love their brothers."

-Road of the Patriarch

#62 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

This is still going on? Lot of sick people out there with this obsession over incest. First there was Imoen and now this. :angry:
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#63 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

This is still going on? Lot of sick people out there with this obsession over incest. First there was Imoen and now this. :angry:

Now, now, let's not get nasty. Besides, we're talking TOB Sarevok, no longer a Bhaalspawn so technically no longer a sibling. Now do go away and let the adults play.

EDIT: I'm sorry, that was the wrong thing to say.....

You're entitled to your own opinion and if you don't want to play it, that's your perogative. But try to have a little tolerance, please.

Edited by HighTimeRodeo, 03 January 2009 - 01:30 PM.

That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

-Road of the Patriarch

#64 Gabrielle

Gabrielle

Do what thou wilt

• 1567 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:40 PM

I'm afraid I have little tolerance for something that is morally wrong. Sarevok is still the son of Bhaal, your half brother whether they are a "Bhaalspawn" or not. Actually how could he not be, his genetic makeup that consist of Bhaal magically disappeared?
For all of your BG modding needs: Chosen of Mystra.

This is The End.

#65 Lykainon

Lykainon

Extraordinary in a way your puny mortal brain cannot grasp.

• 198 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Actually how could he not be, his genetic makeup that consist of Bhaal magically disappeared?

I don't think it was part of his genetic makeup to begin with, it's more of a soul-thing I believe. After all, Sarevok's mommy was a human and so is Sarevok. If Bhaal (and thus his connection to CHARNAME) was part of his DNA, he would be half-human/half-god.

I think a more valid real-life comparision would be step-siblings or something like that.
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

- Death, Hogfather (Terry Pratchett)

Arr! There be a pirate in the making!

#66 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

I'm afraid I have little tolerance for something that is morally wrong. Sarevok is still the son of Bhaal, your half brother whether they are a "Bhaalspawn" or not. Actually how could he not be, his genetic makeup that consist of Bhaal magically disappeared?

Because in the first game Gorion left a note that said Bhaal took on different forms to sire the different children. I mean, look at Yaga-Shura, a fire giant, or the Chinchilla or Abazigal the half-dragon. Well, okay, maybe not Abazigal, there does have to be another half to him, but my point is Bhaal rarely repeated himself. And if the <CHARNAME> had genetic material from Bhaal, if the Essence of Bhaal was stripped from Him/Her, wouldn't said person die?

Yes, there is the subject of incest, but it's optional to play. Too, if you'll wander over to, I think the previous page, you'll find two lines of dialog where either PC or Sarevok put a stop to the whole kit and kaboodle. And, remember, this is all still in the planning stage, I haven't even started coding on it. Wait for the finished project, or the finished idea, before you condemn.

-Road of the Patriarch

#67 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Don't condemn period. If you don't like the idea don't play it. That's my motto. If something isn't to your tastes, well there is always just not downloading the thing if we ever actually finish it. The fact remains it does interest some people. Consider the fact that we have considered whether or not it would be incest and concluded that since Bhaal was possesing different bodies at different times when he fathered his children it is very likely that the Bhaal children are not physically related. It is a taint of their soul, a non-physical relationship which gives them all something in common regardless of race or age. After all, a chinchilla is a child of Bhaal, how do you propose Bhaal pulled that off while remaining in the same possesed body as the man who physically fathered CHARNAME?

In my opinion it is rude to barge in somewhere and say, you need to quit this because I think it is wrong. You can think it is wrong, I have no problem with that, but barging in somewhere and insulting people you don't know also seems wrong to me. My point is unnecesary rudeness should not be done. If you have a point to make say it calmly and logically without terms like

sick people

and

obsession over incest

. Like I said it is rude. I won't pretend that it took me a few tries with writing this paragraph to edit out most of my irritation, but I did. Please don't make comments like this again Gabrielle.

#68 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

Don't condemn period. If you don't like the idea don't play it. That's my motto. If something isn't to your tastes, well there is always just not downloading the thing if we ever actually finish it. The fact remains it does interest some people. Consider the fact that we have considered whether or not it would be incest and concluded that since Bhaal was possesing different bodies at different times when he fathered his children it is very likely that the Bhaal children are not physically related. It is a taint of their soul, a non-physical relationship which gives them all something in common regardless of race or age. After all, a chinchilla is a child of Bhaal, how do you propose Bhaal pulled that off while remaining in the same possesed body as the man who physically fathered CHARNAME?

In my opinion it is rude to barge in somewhere and say, you need to quit this because I think it is wrong. You can think it is wrong, I have no problem with that, but barging in somewhere and insulting people you don't know also seems wrong to me. My point is unnecesary rudeness should not be done. If you have a point to make say it calmly and logically without terms like

sick people

and

obsession over incest

. Like I said it is rude. I won't pretend that it took me a few tries with writing this paragraph to edit out most of my irritation, but I did. Please don't make comments like this again Gabrielle.

Okey-dokey, let's everyone take a deep breath and take a few steps back. Gabrielle, it was.....Interesting to hear you're opinions and nice to see another, vehement, side to the project, we'll remember it.

So, have you thought of any ideas for Dialog, Epitomy?

-Road of the Patriarch

#69 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:58 PM

Not that it's the most important subject, but I think it might be fun to have a dialog revolving around, "why exactly did you give me a ring of protection back in candlekeep when we were worst enemies under the ever so clever and secretive codename Koveras?"

Maybe PC initiated since I don't think Sarevok would care about that little bit of past overmuch. Also that way if CHARNAME didn't accept the ring, they just don't have to ask him about it. I think I'll try and go type something up right now.

PC- Sarevok? Can I ask you about something?

Sarevok- We have some time.

(drop down menu with different questions)

PC- Back in Candlekeep? Why did you give me that ring?

Sarevok- ? You hardly seemed a threat I could not handle, and I did not want you to fail in killing Reiltar for me.

1. I had hardly been helpless before then. Were you really just trying to help me kill your father? <not father>
2. It wouldn?t have made a difference. Surely you didn?t believe I could have failed in killing a merchant? <invest>
3. But why not send one of your lackeys? Why come yourself? <goals>
4. Oh. Well that explains it. END

<not father>Sarevok- Reiltar wasn?t my father as you know, CHARNAME. He only raised me. As for my motives, what other reason would I have had?

1. Well I didn?t kill him, my reputation was known, what made you think I would murder someone?
2. Well I suppose I did kill him after all, but why not send a lackey? Why come yourself? <goals>
3. Well I didn?t kill him. But why not send one of your lackeys? Why come yourself? <goals>

<invest>Sarevok- I did not think you would, but I would never have gotten as far as I did without a few risks, and a few well-placed investments. The merchant politics taught me that much. Without risk and investment you gain nothing.
1. I suppose your right. Still? Why come yourself? <goals>
2. I think that is ridiculous. You must have had some other motive.

<goals>Sarevok- ? Does it matter CHARNAME? All that is far in our pasts. I was a different man then, and I had different goals. None of it matters now.

It is rough without all the paths done but what do you think HighTime? Urg... My brain is spinning... Being in his character is almost painful... But I still love him.

Edited by EpitomyofShyness, 03 January 2009 - 09:35 PM.

#70 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:41 PM

Looks great. I think a conversation between PC and Sarevok about the 'Koveras' would be interesting. And hilarious.

Hey, I wrote sort of a 'is tenderness too much to ask?' conversation, tell me what you think. It's a bit racy, but I like it.

(After Resting)

Sarevok1: Why are you glaring this time, woman?

PC1: Oh nothing, just trying to imagine you with a romantic sliver in your whole body, but alas, even my imagination is having trouble with the task.
PC1a: I'm not glaring, I'm thinking about what you'd be like with a bit gentleness in your soul.
PC1b: Tenderness isn't a condition you're used to, is it?
PC1c: Nothing, I was just staring off into space. Go back to what you were doing.

Sarevok2-PC1: Don't strain yourself. You'll find no such thing.
Sarevok2-PC1a: Hmph, good luck with that.
Sarevok2-PC1b: What in the Nine Hells are you getting at?
Sarevok2-PC1c: Do I look like space?

PC2: Obviously. If there was, rolling away without so much as a word would be non-existent in our bedroom, wouldn't it?
PC2a: Yes, thank you, because I think I'll be needing it. (Especially around you...)
PC2b: What I'm getting at....Is the fact that you could try being a little....softer towards me.
PC3c: (No, but you're certainly empty enough) I was looking past you.

Sarevok3-PC2: If you didn't drop off the moment we finished then perhaps-

Imoen Interject: Aw, is the couple fighting?

Sarevok3-PC2 (con't): I wouldn't roll away so soon.
Sarevok3-PC2a: What was that last part? You said something.
Sarevok3-PC2b: Softer? Me? Maybe you should go back to your knight for that.
Sarevok3-PC2c: *disbeliving* Right. END

PC3: I don't fall asleep right away, that's you that does that. I suppose I should be thankful that you at least get off me first.
PC3a: I said, 'Especially around you'. I had thought you had better hearing than that. Maybe it's your raging ego that's deafening you.
PC3b: He wishes. The point I'm trying to make is a little affection would be appreciated.

Sarevok4-PC3: And what does that mean exactly?
Sarevok4-PC3a: My raging ego? Maybe it's your screeching that's making my hearing fail.
Sarevok4-PC3b: Then get a puppy.

PC4: It means that you could flatten a rock and not notice.
PC4a: Hah, you admit it! Your hearing is failing!
PC4b: At least a puppy I could teach not to bark. Or bite.

Sarevok5-PC4: I thought you liked how heavy I am.
Sarevok5-PC4a: It is not, I'm merely trying to make a point. You get loud.
Sarevok5-PC4b: That was only once. I've never done it again.

PC5: I do. But you make breathing difficult and not in the good way.
PC5a: So do you. I thought I popped an ear drum last night.
PC5b: Yet. Do I have to get a muzzle?

Sarevok6-PC5: I don't have an ounce of fat on me.
Sarevok6-PC5a: At least I had nothing to clean up.
Sarevok6-PC5b: Didn't know you were into that kind of thing. *wink*

PC6: Did I say fat? Nooo. In body mass, you're like Minsc. Gigantic.
PC6a: Bite me.
PC6b: Gods help me. END

Sarevok7-PC6: In all dimensions.
Sarevok7-PC6a: Not here. END

PC7: Gee, I didn't think our rating went that high. END

I know it should be in node, but I wrote it before I took a hammer and finally nailed that concept into my head. I'll do a re-write, if it'll help.

Edited by HighTimeRodeo, 04 January 2009 - 12:44 PM.

-Road of the Patriarch

#71 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

Do any of those dialog options end with the Romance screwed? The PC has to be able to say: "I hate you, you killed loved ones, ate my last taco, bla bla bla." and then be able to go off and woo Anomen (
Spoiler
).

#72 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

The opening dialog of the romance has the option for either one to break it off before it starts. If you'd like to write 'I've suddenly decided that, while you're totally hot, I prefer Anomen for reason's I've yet to understand myself', please do.

And several people have said that we should tie the talks to the events. How's the idea of having two or three dialogs for outside and in an inn. Not all people like sleeping in the Pocket Plane. And maybe some for in there as well. Plus a short interjection when Tamoko appears in the second challange.

Full of ideas, not of coding knowledge.

So....Is this mod on it's way? I guess I'm a little impatient to get started on it.

-Road of the Patriarch

#73 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:14 PM

How's the idea of having two or three dialogs for outside and in an inn. Not all people like sleeping in the Pocket Plane.

I'm not sure about this one. I for one really like sleeping in the Pocket Plane and on an average run through ToB I probably never sleep in an inn more then once or twice, if ever.

It would be pretty nice to have some dialogue about/in the Pocket Plane though. Sarevok seems to know a thing or two about it and since it's some sort of relection of CHARNAME's soul it would probably be a good way to lead up to a little chat about CHARNAME's inner nature and possibly Sarevok's as well.
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meet the rising ape."

#74 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea. It would be interesting to hear more about the planar sphere.

-Road of the Patriarch

#75 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

All you need to do for screwing up the relationship is to throw in something that would make Sarevok decide against seducing you. Easy.

#76 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

No offense intended to anyone....

I'll tell him I'm Evangelical and watch him run. :D

No, seriously though, I wonder what would scare him off? Maybe wanting him to find a god?

By the by, someone mention earlier that there would have to be a race restriction? What about a class restriction too? I mean, a Paladin or a cleric wouldn't want to enter in a relationship like that.

-Road of the Patriarch

#77 EpitomyofShyness

EpitomyofShyness
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:01 PM

All you need to do for screwing up the relationship is to throw in something that would make Sarevok decide against seducing you. Easy.

I agree. Messing up the relationship won't really be that hard, especially in the beginning. The farther along you go the harder it would be to mess it up I imagine no matter which way the relationship was going. Plus I think there should always be a PC initiated, "Sarevok I'm uncomfortable with this we need to stop." option.

As for official, I have hated it when I found a mod which looked so promising, only to find it abandoned. Then again just working on this privately we are closing doors to other people noticing and offering help or suggestions. As for me, I am in. End of story. I can't code, but if we ever get that far I would be eager to download it and test it. Not to mention I will more than enjoy helping to write it. :hug:

Also I've been thinking about attempting to talk to the guy who hosted the previous attempt at a Sarevok relationship. That was not just a romance, but a relationship mod which would give you the option of just ending up with a brother/sisterly feeling, two people in a business relationship, yada yada or a romance. :devil:

Maybe we could go that direction somewhat? Just put in a few conversations which you can get regardless of romancing him or not? I can imagine a PC not interested in a romance wanting to ask Sarevok a few questions.

:EDIT:

Races he would not romance: Dwarf, Gnome

Races he would romance: Half Elf, Elf, Human

Races I'm not sure about: Halfling, Half-Orc

.... Imagine the height difference between a halfling and... :ROFL: Awkward....

As for classes... I can see him almost pursuing a relationship with a Paladin... Before saying screw it I can't deal with the goodness. I'm not sure he would really be able to put up with a Lawful Good person no matter what his motives were. Maybe he would start to try it out, before backing up. I dunno. People get frustrated with limits so maybe just a few race limits but we have no Class or alignment limits. Just think up some interesting dialog surrounding awkward situations like the PC being a Paladin or being any class and Lawful Good.

Edited by EpitomyofShyness, 04 January 2009 - 04:09 PM.

#78 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

Yahoo!! There's someone else agrees this should be made official!

As for the person who started it the first time, that'd be great and I'd like to see a friendship option for Sarevok. Matter of fact, we could release the romance, if that happens and I'm hoping it will, and the friendship as different components, so if people like the person who posted against this who I shall not name, could play that instead of the whole romance and then we could include the friendship talks in the romance.

Yeah, having a closed off workshop would probably stop people from commenting and adding ideas, but too, we'd be opening to flaming and trolls like we had earlier. I dunno, either way we run the risk of alienating people. There are the....Religious people who wouldn't like this.

EDIT: Good idea.

Edited by HighTimeRodeo, 04 January 2009 - 04:19 PM.

-Road of the Patriarch

#79 Lykainon

Lykainon

• 198 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

No, seriously though, I wonder what would scare him off? Maybe wanting him to find a god?

While I don't picture Sarevok as a religious fellow (except for a religion with him as the god in question of course ;)) I don't think that's his biggest turn-off. Think about it for a second, what does Sarevok love more then anything else? Power. Telling him that you don't seek it, keep him from seeking it or say that it isn't important and I'd say you've ruined all possibility of getting into his pants or heart.

#80 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:01 PM

Remember, the more you want to do, the more work it is. Working in ONE path or romance is tricky enough to code and get right, let alone one as diverse as Sarevok's, and extra dialogues and paths all make it more complex.

It isn't quite as simple as adding an extra block here and there, possibly with a trigger, but you have to remember; if Sarevok is discussing a business deal, he probably won't in a relationship (+1 condition), but only here and here (+1). This conversation is a little callously-worded, so a friendly or CG Sarevok won't initiate it (+2), these 2 replies can only be initiated under condition X and Y (+2), and so on.

The work and chances to break the mod increase dramatically.

This isn't a post to stop you doing it or anything, just watch out, as the work for the coder increases a bit, and the playtester a lot.

My advice on this is to take it progressively, get the base path coded and worked out, by focusing on small chunks. For example, make sure you have the CE path done perfectly, then integrate the CG path (geas/non-geas), then a few interjections and so on.

This both reduces the immediate work and, if you keep at the base, makes sure you get something achieved.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo