Photo

SHS forum upgrade, new features and new look!

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#41 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:30 AM

I can only hope to accomodate in time with the new look.

Is it just me, or there's no global search function in a visible place? It's not that I use it that often, but strange nonetheless.

IT IS TOO DAMN BRIGHT!!! Guys, please, do something about this, it almost hurts eyes.

PS Yes, and I have a feeling fonts are too large as well.

Edited by GeN1e, 02 January 2010 - 11:33 AM.

Retired from modding.

#42 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

Is it just me, or there's no global search function in a visible place? It's not that I use it that often, but strange nonetheless.

Push the 'Advanced' near the Search button. Or the 'Search' without anything on the tab, so you'll advance to the 'Advanced'... but then that might take the forum resources more...
The search button is of course in the top right corner on any window, on the same line as the * Website * Forums * Members * Donate buttons are.(using the Mozilla Firefox 3.0.something)

I kinda like the new, more and more. Now, if only the letters were made of fire... :devil:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 02 January 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#43 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 12:37 PM

Guess it's a browser thing then - can see no button whatsoever. Had happened a couple of times before on other sites, except I don't regular them, unlike SHS. Been using IE6 for years.

Retired from modding.

#44 marceror

marceror
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Hello to the SHS community, and to the admin team, good luck on your upgrade!

I was wondering, while the downloads are unavailable, if anyone happens to have an alternate link to the latest version of the Rogue Rebalancing mod. My main PC had a series of component failures, and one of the parts I need (the motherboard) is on back order. So that sort of kills my in progress BG2 runthrough for the holiday weekend. Well, actually, what I'm trying to do instead is get a new game up and running on an alternate PC. I'd love to include RR, if there's a chance in hell of getting it in advance of site maintenance at SHS being completed.

Sorry to include a request in my first post here... but that's just the way it goes sometimes. :P

#45 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:51 PM

@GeN1e: I use IE, too. Please see attached.

Attached Images

• Search.jpg

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#46 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

I was wondering, while the downloads are unavailable, if anyone happens to have an alternate link to the latest version of the Rogue Rebalancing mod. My main PC had a series of component failures, and one of the parts I need (the motherboard) is on back order. So that sort of kills my in progress BG2 runthrough for the holiday weekend. Well, actually, what I'm trying to do instead is get a new game up and running on an alternate PC. I'd love to include RR, if there's a chance in hell of getting it in advance of site maintenance at SHS being completed.
Sorry to include a request in my first post here... but that's just the way it goes sometimes. :P

http://www.shsforums...post__p__473517

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#47 marceror

marceror
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:03 PM

Bless you Daulmakan! And aVenger too! :)

Now the only mod I'm missing is 1PP, but I can live without that until the download functionality is working again!

#48 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

This new look is great. It's crisp, clean, neat, lively and legible. The colours are fine, the font size is fine, the layout is fine. Please note that I am using a Duergar slang word, "fine", which means "excellent" in English.

I come from a long career in print publishing. Because I am ancient I believe there's no more legible text than black on white (or, at SHS now, very expensive ivory stock?).

The little picture of me at the top of the page is useful. It tells me that I'm me, not someone else pretending to be me. Such a person would be scary and more than a little unbalanced.

I'm going to have fun exploring the new functions, although I haven't been spending much time at SHS or doing anything else for a while. The first thing I must do is find out why the Profile page thinks I haven't set my status. i set it 33 years ago and it remains unchanged since then; it is still "Married".

It will take time for some people to get used to the new layout and colours. I accept and am happy with the fact that it may take some days to get everything running perfectly -- look how long it took Einstein to go 100 years into the future and come back as his older twin brother.

Seb and Liam, spot on, chaps!
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#49 Galsic

Galsic

Nominal Member

• 384 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

We discovered with Slayer (the dark alternative to Asylum) that very few of our members actually used it.

Seriously? Slayer was so much easier on the eyes for me. You sure you weren't taking all those other unused accounts into consideration or something? Didn't realize I was part of such a small minority :/.

Meh, I suppose the look is only one of many changes. Dunno how many of those'll affect me (positively, negatively, at all; still looking through it). Hope it all works out for the best, though!

Edited by Galsic, 02 January 2010 - 02:26 PM.

(I like parentheses.)

#50 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

I like it.

#51 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:25 PM

Posted Image

Edited by GeN1e, 02 January 2010 - 03:30 PM.

Retired from modding.

#52 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

IE6 won't work with virtually any recent forum software, sorry. That's not something we can fix for you--the only suggestion I can make is to use a different browser. A lot of web developers are trying to phase out the use of IE6, because it's become so outdated.

#53 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Would someone mind writing a tutorial on how private conversations work? I'm more than a little unclear on it, at present. I see only two buttons under a member's avatar: friend status and PM. Is there a third I'm not seeing for some reason?

I found a tutorial here in the board's "help topics". Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that all users have the ability to add new participants to a conversation.

#54 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

"View New Posts" forum filter
A feature that people have been requesting for some time, View New Posts can now be filtered! Simply click on the drop-down box in the top right-hand corner, and go to My Settings > Forum > Block Forums.

Can anyone verify if this does or doesn't seem to be working at the moment? I tried turning some forums off earlier, and I still appear to be getting updates from them.

There was a slight issue with the installation of this. Fixed now. :)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#55 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Yey, the download manager is open again(didn't download yet, for there was no need). So Was it 15 days of Christmaka? Yey, I got to edit my first PM conversation. After I had deleted the 460 that were there already. :blink:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#56 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:56 PM

About the new messenger, is there a way to batch delete conversations?? Or maybe merge 2 conversations?? The check box changed sides :whistling:

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 02 January 2010 - 07:02 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#57 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:12 AM

Nice job with the upgrade...I don't imagine it was a walk in the park.

I actually enjoy the new color scheme. For someone that has terrible eyesight when it comes to reading anything on a screen, it's nice to see bigger fonts and an easy to navigate interface.

My only complaints would have to be the new "Spellhold Studios" logo as it looks a little too modern for a modding community that is primarily fantasy RPG-based, and that the donation stuff is on the main page and is sized, phrased, and situated in a way that kills the gentle "We'd appreciate any donations, but they are not mandatory, thank you!" gesture and replaces it with something that reads to a first time visitor (this was the first time I checked out the new scheme): "OMG GIVE US MUNEY PLZ - THIS IS HOW MUCH WE NEED".

But good job nonetheless. :)

Edited by theacefes, 03 January 2010 - 12:12 AM.

DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#58 FumY

FumY
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:02 AM

I preferred the old skin :crying:

#59 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:11 AM

I used to be confused when I this one had appeared, but now I think it looks clear and stylish, FumY. Also this change is followed with interesting features. Believe me :)

#60 -Hide and Seek-

-Hide and Seek-

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:00 AM

I'm sorry if this has been explained somewhere, cause then I missed it. I can't log in. Everytime I click on the "sign in", I get the little "page error" icon down to the left. Everything else work fine.

As for the new look.. I think it's okay. Will take a little time to get used too, but most of them tends to grow on you with time. ^_^