Photo

SHS forum upgrade, new features and new look!

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#81 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

In the top right hand corner, click the drop down menu and select "Messenger".

#82 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:34 PM

I see nothing about "Messages", how do I update?

Your browser? Well, you go to this page, download the program, install it and use it. Easy.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#83 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

Having done web development now I'd actually recommend Opera over Firefox, but each to their own :)

#84 ilot

ilot
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

Thank for your help but I must to have Firefox or Opera??? I have "Internet Explorer" Posted Image

Edited by ilot, 04 January 2010 - 03:29 PM.

Italian mods tanslator!!!!

#85 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Wow, so this is Spellhold's 2010 incarnation. Nifty. :) A change is supposed to be as good as a holiday so I suppose the timing is appropriate.
I like the larger font, especially when browsing with a netbook and it seems very crisp. The bright, white is difficult on tired eyes when reading for a while, hmmm...maybe it's just the contrast of the bold red/burgundy? together that makes it seem quite bright. Ah well, I'll get used to it. Kudos to all involved in making it happen. :)
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#86 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:30 PM

I see nothing about "Messages", how do I update?

Your browser? Well, you go to this page, download the program, install it and use it. Easy.

I second Jarno's suggestion.

Ok, I've given it a couple days to get used to it and for the initial bugs to get worked out and this is what I've noticed:

Yesterday, I kept getting unresponsive script warnings, but I haven't noticed any today, so it may be nothing. I am using Mozilla Firefox version 3.5.6

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://www.shsforums...ify/prettify.js:36

On the personal profile page, the "Friends" and "Latest Visitors" sections use the member's personal photos, but the majority of people don't even have one. It would be much more meaningful for me if the ordinary member avatars are used. They let me identify people at a glance.

Being able to filter the "View New Posts" is VERY nice.

Before the update, I was able to post attachments 50 times larger then I am now (I assume it was so large because I am a modder). Will my attachment size be brought back up to a reasonable level? I often need to upload files in excess of 30-50MB. For example: http://www.shsforums...obin-hood-maps/

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#87 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:23 AM

How do I make a pretended quote?

Say previously it was easy, you just:
[quote=The Imp]Wisdom of the Words[/quote]
... while the said quote now produces just the quote(if you add the " name"), not the quote tag...

Wisdom of the Words

Edit: Funny, I had this in my signature... and now I know how, we just need to add the '' marks around the name. :doh: So now...
[quote name='The Imp']Wisdom of the Words[/quote]
Produces:

Wisdom of the Words

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 05 January 2010 - 03:26 AM.

#88 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

Topic notifications are cooler in that you get the actual topic in the email subject. But I've noticed that when you click on the link you rarely go to the new topic; rather you go to the first page mostly. Also it seems to hang on page loading, to the point where (eventually) my browser will say it's loaded everything but still hang there with a blue bar and a circling cursor, and there's not even an option to "stop" (X) the page loading. I'm using Opera on Linux if that matters.

Can you copy-paste a couple of the non-working links, please?

It doesn't always happen on any particular link, but it seems to happen randomly a fair amount - I dunno, maybe 25% of the time? I get something like this:
shslag.gif
That "Elements" loader will just sit there indefinitely, whether there's 0/0 or 70/70 elements. In other words, it's loaded all elements but still just sits there. Never seen that on any other site. Additionally, my cursor is in an indefinite "loading" state during this, and as I said you can't even stop it by clicking on the red X in the menu, because it's not available.

Also, I get something like this in the link displayed here:
bugcode.gif
It was ok when I replied to it just now but for several posts, I got what looked like an unterminated [/CODE] tag or something. Though I think it was terminated properly, but the forum didn't seem to recognise it. It also may have happened only when I wasn't logged on.

On the subject of email notifications, I noticed this on the old forum too... Sometimes I get them and sometimes not, and it seems quite erratic. I'm talking about posts or forums I'm subscribed to, with I think an "immediate" (or at least delayed) notification, but I get maybe half of them more or less right away and never get half of the others. And I notice this because I'm subscribed to only a very few topics/forums (to prevent spam otherwise).

I'm afraid I don't know what could be causing this... I know that I personally find email in general to be pretty unreliable when it comes to mailing lists and notifications, but I don't think I've ever experienced a 50% drop rate. If you want to, you can PM me and we can perform some more advanced troubleshooting.

I guess I could track which ones I get and which ones I don't. Though it's a little harder to track the ones I *don't* get but I can still try to keep a log.

Takes significantly longer to do view/reply to posts and PMs (or whatever they're called now :)). Is this because the forum is still being upgraded behind the scenes, or because new functionality is bogging it down? Personally, I'd sacrifice any number of bells and whistles (like seeing the portraits of participants in a PM) for the sake of speed.

I haven't noticed any significant speed decreases, other than when we were rebuilding posts/PMs. A tip can be to look at the execution time at the bottom right of the page, right next to the clock icon. If it's less than a second, any slowdowns is most likely due to your browser and/or internet connection.

I'll try to track that too for any particularly slow pages, but I do know that PPG and G3 were significantly faster when I posted there just now, and I usually trash G3 for being slow as molasses. So I doubt it's my browser or connection (the only good thing about the provider is that it's typically lightning fast, as is Opera for most things except initial startup).

There seems to be an issue with the forum figuring out which page the latest post is on. This happens when I get email notifications and even from the forum itself when going to a latest post, sometimes you'll go to the previous page. Now this may also be a cause for it "hanging" in the page loading process, because it might be saying "huh? can't find that post on this page" but that's just a guess.

Edit: I just got "hung" after posting on this page for nearly a minute until I gave up and clicked the red X (it was available this time, because the Elements bar said 53/54 or something so it got hung up on one particular element). The database time is almost invariably 1/3 to 1/2 a second, so I don't really think it's measuring what's going on here. Conversely, when I loaded this page again to edit my post, it claimed a 0.4 second load time, which is about what it actually took. On the other hand, other pages take several seconds or more to load, and it says the same thing.

Edited by Miloch, 05 January 2010 - 07:45 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#89 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Edit: I just got "hung" after posting on this page for nearly a minute until I gave up and clicked the red X (it was available this time, because the Elements bar said 53/54 or something so it got hung up on one particular element). The database time is almost invariably 1/3 to 1/2 a second, so I don't really think it's measuring what's going on here. Conversely, when I loaded this page again to edit my post, it claimed a 0.4 second load time, which is about what it actually took. On the other hand, other pages take several seconds or more to load, and it says the same thing.

The 0.4 load time means that the server-side execution (php scripts, database queries, etc) takes 0.4 seconds from start to finish. As long as this number is low (<1 sec), you can assume that the software is running fine and that the server isn't overloaded.

If you're experiencing timeouts or slowdowns despite a "normal" server-side execution time, the problem is most likely with your computer, your browser or your internet connection. I can envision a scenario where the server for whatever reason wouldn't serve the content, but I'm not sure why that would only affect you. It also appears unlikely that you're caught in one of our anti-DoS protection systems, as you in that case would have to wait for 10 minutes before you could make another successful connection to the server.

I'll run your IP address against access logs and see what I'll come up with, but in my experience, any funky issues that only appear for one user is in most cases due to that one user's environment. If it only happens on SHS, my best guess would be that your ISP is using a route to the server that is either (very) indirect or passes through faulty hardware.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#90 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

Hmm, just thought I'd mention this cause Miloch seems to be having problems with the same page :P I've been getting this 'Script stopped or isn't responding thing' in Firefox

Script: http://www.shsforums.../prettify.js:36

That's been causing a hang of around 2 secs after loading that page :ph34r: And if I stop the script, the codeboxes don't show any highlighting :(

Cheers,
Lol

Edited by Lollorian, 05 January 2010 - 10:20 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#91 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hmm, just thought I'd mention this cause Miloch seems to be having problems with the same page :P I've been getting this 'Script stopped or isn't responding thing' in Firefox

Script: http://www.shsforums.../prettify.js:36

That's been causing a hang of around 2 secs after loading that page :ph34r:

Cheers,
Lol

I've been sporadically experiencing the same issue in threads with lots of stuff in code and/or quote boxes. Running Firefox as well.

#92 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:30 AM

Got to say that I love the new Personal talks, I always hated deleting the PMs as the limit came up, so now that my limit is up to 400 talks, I can send the 3000 messages easily without need to delete a thing. Well, I am just hoping that people are satisfied with one Talk per person, even if it goes totally off the previous 'pattern', so I don't have to go remove myself from them. Yeah, I have 4/400 of them... :D

#93 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

The new spoiler tags are great :coolthumb:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#94 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:00 AM

Made dozens of small improvements and fixes to the overall design (during which some of you might have occasionally noticed really strange temporary activity, like giant fonts here and there and such)-- if you encounter any more visual glitches and the likes, do tell!

#95 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Is the search function still down?? I get this when I search (both through the normal textbox and the advanced search) :unsure:
Posted Image

Btw, I should probably say that there are no scripting errors now :coolthumb:

And, final question(s) about the private threads, (loving the feature btw :wub:)
  • Is there any way to make people join in on a conversation?? Like a conference call?? :lol: (I tried searching for an 'Invite Participants' option, but can't find it :P)
  • Is there a way to merge conversations?? All of my old pms got turned into separate threads with one post each. A merge function would be godsend (instead of shuffling through ~300 threads :crying:)

Edited by Lollorian, 07 January 2010 - 07:28 PM.

#96 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:49 AM

2) Is there a way to merge conversations?? All of my old pms got turned into separate threads with one post each. A merge function would be godsend (instead of shuffling through ~300 threads :crying:)

Collectively removing everyone of them. :devil:

#97 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:10 AM

Collectively removing everyone of them. :devil:

LOL :lol: By that logic, if I don't find some guy's phone number in the yellow pages, I should just tear it up?? :devil:

Anyway, the stop script thing reappeared in a heavily codeboxed conversation :P
Posted ImageAnd I just upgraded to Firefox 3.5.7 :crying:

#98 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:28 AM

Yes, search function still not working. I might be able to fix it tomorrow, but no promises as I'm pretty busy with work right now.

As far as I know, prettify.js is doing the code highlighting. Will see if there's any way I can tweak it, but not going to promise anything here either.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#99 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:39 AM

I haven't been very active on SHS or anywhere else for a while. The last time I looked at this thread was before I knew that khayman had done the new design or that there were login issues, etc, with IE8. So...

** khayman, to add to my initial comments about the redesign -- great job, my good man. Lovely.

** I imagine there are still so many IE users, and so many don't have and don't want to use other browsers, that it is very important for everything on SHS to work in IE8. I have it and Firefox, Chrome and Opera, but I use IE8 because it's a development of what I've been used to since about 1997. Right now I'm using Chrome to look at SHS because I can't sign in with IE8. When I need to use a different browser I select one at random (!) but what about all the members who don't have that option?
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#100 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:02 AM

I thought that problem only existed if you had IE 6.xx, but I tested it myself with IE 8 and the error is there, which is quite odd. You can however log in using IE 8 by doing it through this link.