Photo

NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1154 replies to this topic

#1041 Gamemacik

Gamemacik
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 June 2021 - 01:20 AM

Yeah, something seems to be off with the lines "Type", "# dice thrown/maximum level" and "Dice size/minimum level". I'll try to reproduce the issue. Can you provide a step-by-step repro or does it happen with any SPL resource?

It is not problem for dice field only, and after testing it seems problem may not be in the copy of values but in the input when certain row is selected and then is opened another effect the value from previously selected row suddenly appears in the current selected row. That means simple clicking and selecting spell effect row while browse spell effects can mess values.

Video:

/Edit: I could not reproduce this bug in previous version Version 2.1-20210123

Edited by Gamemacik, 01 June 2021 - 01:35 AM.

For modders:
Animation resources: NWN RED DRAGONTRWNDbl.pngDRAGONWHELP PACK+DRAGONBREATHTRWNDbl.png
For loosers: SPOILER ALERT! RCEuOoU.pngQeZVcUw.png

#1042 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:17 AM

Thank you. It looks like field data is incorrectly set when you leave a substructure with a table cell still in edit mode. This is a general issue with all resources that can be edited in table mode. I'll look into it further.

For now you can work around it by making sure to leave cell edit mode before closing the table of the substructure (e.g. by left-clicking into another cell once before closing the table).

Edited by Argent77, 02 June 2021 - 02:02 AM.

#1043 Nathan82

Nathan82
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 06:31 AM

Hello

NearInfinity is crashing when i use the search function.

from the BCS tab, i've selected a script, then used the search function, selecting on CRE, to find what has that specific script assigned

It starts working but when it gets to 3800/8517 it stops, then error boxes appear. The first few have information in them, eg

Error

ERROR reading ICSALFIR.CRE

null

Then an empty Error box appears that i cant close and i have to use Taskmanager to close the program.

I can open the .CRE files that cause the error but i have no idea what i could look at in them to potentially fix them so they could be read.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#1044 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 08:46 AM

Hello
NearInfinity is crashing when i use the search function.
from the BCS tab, i've selected a script, then used the search function, selecting on CRE, to find what has that specific script assigned
It starts working but when it gets to 3800/8517 it stops, then error boxes appear. The first few have information in them, eg

Error
ERROR reading ICSALFIR.CRE
null

Then an empty Error box appears that i cant close and i have to use Taskmanager to close the program.
I can open the .CRE files that cause the error but i have no idea what i could look at in them to potentially fix them so they could be read.
Any ideas?
Thanks

If I understand it correctly you have selected a script and used the "Find... > references to this script" feature to search for CRE resource using that script?

Are you able to open the debug console (via menu Tools > Show debug console, or shortcut Ctrl+D) when the error occured?

Otherwise, you could start Near Infinity from the command line, so that error messages are redirected to the console window. To do this, open a command prompt and enter this command:
java -jar 

Make sure there is a trailing space after "-jar". Then drag and drop the NearInfinity.jar file from the file manager to the command prompt to add the path of the Near Infinity binary. Press enter to execute the command and try to reproduce the error in NI. If you are successful then there should be (hopefully) a verbose stack trace printed to the console window. Please copy/paste the error message, especially the first couple of lines.

Edited by Argent77, 02 June 2021 - 08:47 AM.

#1045 Nathan82

Nathan82
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:49 AM

Hello

I did what you said and was able to reproduce the error.

Here's the error messages;

Exception in thread "D3D Screen Updater" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Error reading ICSALCOL.CRE
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor2.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at org.infinity.resource.ResourceFactory.getResource(Unknown Source)
        at org.infinity.search.AbstractReferenceSearcher.lambda$newWorker$0(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Error reading IGOLEM01.CRE
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
        at org.infinity.search.AbstractReferenceSearcher.lambda$newWorker$0(Unknown Source)
Error reading IGOLFLE2.CRE
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)

Thanks

#1046 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 09:59 AM

Here's the error messages;

Exception in thread "D3D Screen Updater" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Error reading ICSALCOL.CRE

It looks like Java ran out of free memory. The most likely cause is that you have installed a 32-bit version of the Java Runtime which applies very conservative memory settings by default. There are two options how to solve it:

1. Install the 64-bit version of Java. This is the preferred option if you're running a 64-bit operating system. It will utilize your memory much more efficiently and may also improve overall performance and stability.

2. Use the tool "Hide NI DOS" to start NI which is linked somewhere in the first post of this topic. This tool applies more useful memory settings. You should consider this option only if you're running a 32-bit operating system. There is no real advantage of this option over the other.

#1047 Nathan82

Nathan82
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 01:18 PM

Argent77, thats fixed it.

I think i had the 32bit version of Java as the 64bit version isnt supported in the 64bit version of Firefox for some reason.

Anyway, thanks for your quick responses. And generally for working on NearInfinity, its really really useful.

#1048 Nathan82

Nathan82
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:35 PM

@Argent77 I've got another question/request. This might be a stupid idea but would it be possible to incorporate the changelog function into NearInfinity?

So you could look at whatever file as normal and then, as required, have the option to run changelog and be able to see the various iterations all in one place and see exactly what mods have changed what on a specific file?

No idea if thats doable and apologies if its been suggested previously. I did have a brief search and couldnt see it mentioned anywhere.

Thanks

#1049 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 12:42 AM

@Argent77 I've got another question/request. This might be a stupid idea but would it be possible to incorporate the changelog function into NearInfinity?

So you could look at whatever file as normal and then, as required, have the option to run changelog and be able to see the various iterations all in one place and see exactly what mods have changed what on a specific file?

No idea if thats doable and apologies if its been suggested previously. I did have a brief search and couldnt see it mentioned anywhere.

Thanks

The information required to generate changelogs is managed exclusively by WeiDU. Near Infinity, and the game itself, have nothing to do with it. A more logical place to implement such a feature would be mod managers since they already deal with WeiDU extensively.

#1050 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:44 AM

Hello, Argent77.

I was using NI's tool to check for Illegal ResourceRefs on both my Baldur's Gate/TotSC installation and my Baldur's Gate Trilogy installation and I noticed something odd. NI reports a relatively big number of missing resources in my BGT installation even if they seem to be there.

I'm talking of a number of ambient wave files that according to NI are missing in the BGT installation. But if I check the WAV tree in NI they all seem to be there.

Are these false positives? Is NI searching in two different places and that is why it does find those resources when checking on the Baldur's Gate installation but fails to find them when checking on the Baldur's Gate Trilogy installation?

Just an example: NearInfinity complains that AR4100 (BGT - Gnoll Stronghold) is missing AMB_S01.WAV and AMB_S01A.WAV even if they are both present if I look for them under "WAV". 

Edited by Salk, 20 June 2021 - 01:45 AM.

#1051 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:04 AM

Hello, Argent77.

I was using NI's tool to check for Illegal ResourceRefs on both my Baldur's Gate/TotSC installation and my Baldur's Gate Trilogy installation and I noticed something odd. NI reports a relatively big number of missing resources in my BGT installation even if they seem to be there.

I'm talking of a number of ambient wave files that according to NI are missing in the BGT installation. But if I check the WAV tree in NI they all seem to be there.

Are these false positives? Is NI searching in two different places and that is why it does find those resources when checking on the Baldur's Gate installation but fails to find them when checking on the Baldur's Gate Trilogy installation?

Just an example: NearInfinity complains that AR4100 (BGT - Gnoll Stronghold) is missing AMB_S01.WAV and AMB_S01A.WAV even if they are both present if I look for them under "WAV". 

That's actually "intended" behavior for the original games, and it probably works like this since the beginnings of NI. The intention behind it was that certain area-related resources can only be found in specific hardcoded biff files or the override folder without crashing the game or causing other kinds of trouble. I don't know if this is true or not (it was implemented by my predecessors). I can lift this restriction if there is evidence that these restrictions don't apply (anymore).

#1052 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:38 AM

That's what we talked about back in 2019. Apparently it continues to confuse many modders, so it's high time these restrictions got removed :)

Edited by skellytz, 20 June 2021 - 05:43 AM.

#1053 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 06:09 AM

But it's a fact that areas crash in classic engine if Ambients are not in the same biff/override. I think it's actually cool if NI can detect and warn about this? (Saying this without knowing much about the whole topic.)

Edited by jastey, 20 June 2021 - 06:10 AM.

#1054 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:11 AM

But BGT uses the classic engine and by that reasoning it should then crash in very many areas because the ambient sounds are not in the "right place". It doesn't.

#1055 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:32 AM

That's what we talked about back in 2019. Apparently it continues to confuse many modders, so it's high time these restrictions got removed :)

This restriction was removed for the Enhanced Editions since it doesn't apply there. When it's confirmed that the restriction is also not needed for the original games I'll remove it completely.

For what it's worth, I couldn't find any of the predefined biff files (e.g. AMBSound.BIF and 25AmbSnd.BIF for BG2) mentioned in the game executable. But the engine could still be hardcoded to require the same BIFF as the parent ARE/WED file or the override folder. Or there are other still unknown restrictions in place. As I said before, I need confirmation.

#1056 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 06:16 PM

The dialog tra export command seems to be broken and produces a file containing only the following lines, both with English and French languages:

// creator : F:\IE\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - SoD\NearInfinity.jar (v2.2-20210501)
// game    : F:\IE\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - SoD

Edited by Gwendolyne, 01 July 2021 - 12:55 AM.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#1057 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 12:07 AM

The dialog tra export command seems to be broken and produce a file containing only the following lines, both with English and French languages:

// creator : F:\IE\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - SoD\NearInfinity.jar (v2.2-20210501)

I can't reproduce this issue. Does the debug console show anything? Is the game modded?

#1058 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 12:55 AM

Solved.

The same issue as before: I run NI in my clean install, without having launched the game one first time... You should add this warning in your wiki: launch the game once before running NI. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

#1059 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:29 AM

The dialog tra export command seems to be broken and produce a file containing only the following lines, both with English and French languages:

I can't reproduce this issue. Does the debug console show anything? Is the game modded?

I've looked into it further and could reproduce the issue when SoD is present as an (unmerged) DLC archive. It'll be fixed in the next release.

#1060 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 10:12 AM

Yes, that should be the point: I don't unmerge SoD archive in my clean install. Anyway, NI works fine in my modded game folder.

CARPE DIEM ....