NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

#1061 Gamemacik

Gamemacik
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 03:17 AM

BCS -> BAF (De)Compiler BUG

When NearInfinity tries to displays content of BCS script file action UseItemSlotAbility(O:Target*,I:Slot*Slots,I:Ability*)  is displayed as UseItemSlot(O:Target*,I:Slot*Slots)

Eg.:

//This amulet has 2 magic abilities, ability0, ability1

IF
	HasItem("_!AM010",Myself)  
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		UseItemSlotAbility(Myself,SLOT_AMULET,1)
END

After reopening BCS script file, I:Ability* argument is lost, further compiling of script causes stripping ability argument unless source code is manually fixed again.

//This amulet has 2 magic abilities, ability0, ability1

IF
	HasItem("_!AM010",Myself)  
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		UseItemSlot(Myself,SLOT_AMULET)
END

For modders:
Animation resources: NWN RED DRAGONTRWNDbl.pngDRAGONWHELP PACK+DRAGONBREATHTRWNDbl.png
For loosers: SPOILER ALERT! RCEuOoU.pngQeZVcUw.png

#1062 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 05:10 AM

BCS -> BAF (De)Compiler BUG

When NearInfinity tries to displays content of BCS script file action UseItemSlotAbility(O:Target*,I:Slot*Slots,I:Ability*) is displayed as UseItemSlot(O:Target*,I:Slot*Slots)

Thanks. I'll look into it.

#1063 smyth25

smyth25
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:50 PM

EDIT: Ok it turns out that the issue could be fixed by replacing the chitin.key file in the GoG BG2EE install with the copy from Steam BG2EE. Perhaps the chitin.key file was corrupted somehow (the game still seemed to run normally before replacing it though). This isn't exactly an optimal solution though, since I need to switch back to the original chitin.key when I want to play the game, but it allows me to use NI at least.

---

Hi Argent, I'm having a bit of an issue. Its been going on for a while now, I was hoping a fresh install of the game might solve it (which I delayed until I had finished a modded playthrough), but it looks like it's still persisting.

NearInfinity seems to only be able to open files that are present in the override folder (or rather, it cannot open anything stored in the .BIFs). Also, it seems to be unable to open certain file types at all, such as .CRE. Trying to open these files results in NI returning "Error reading *file* @null" What's more strange is that this is only affecting my BG2EE install bought from GoG. BGEE from GoG is fine, as well as BG2EE from Steam.

I'm currently using the latest version of NI on mac (could perhaps be a permissions issue since mac security is rather tight?). I'm also using the latest version of Java to the best of my knowledge. If you need any more information then please ask, it would be good to nip this one in the bud since it has been persisting across multiple versions of NI. Many thanks!

Edited by smyth25, 01 September 2021 - 06:31 AM.

#1064 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 08 September 2021 - 12:44 AM

EDIT: Ok it turns out that the issue could be fixed by replacing the chitin.key file in the GoG BG2EE install with the copy from Steam BG2EE. Perhaps the chitin.key file was corrupted somehow (the game still seemed to run normally before replacing it though). This isn't exactly an optimal solution though, since I need to switch back to the original chitin.key when I want to play the game, but it allows me to use NI at least.

---

Hi Argent, I'm having a bit of an issue. Its been going on for a while now, I was hoping a fresh install of the game might solve it (which I delayed until I had finished a modded playthrough), but it looks like it's still persisting.

NearInfinity seems to only be able to open files that are present in the override folder (or rather, it cannot open anything stored in the .BIFs). Also, it seems to be unable to open certain file types at all, such as .CRE. Trying to open these files results in NI returning "Error reading *file* @null" What's more strange is that this is only affecting my BG2EE install bought from GoG. BGEE from GoG is fine, as well as BG2EE from Steam.

I'm currently using the latest version of NI on mac (could perhaps be a permissions issue since mac security is rather tight?). I'm also using the latest version of Java to the best of my knowledge. If you need any more information then please ask, it would be good to nip this one in the bud since it has been persisting across multiple versions of NI. Many thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. Since you're playing the game on macOS the issue could be a permissions issue. Can you open the debug console (menu Tools > Show Debug Console) and post the error messages which are triggered when you start NI or try to open a biffed resource?

#1065 smyth25

smyth25
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 12:13 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Since you're playing the game on macOS the issue could be a permissions issue. Can you open the debug console (menu Tools > Show Debug Console) and post the error messages which are triggered when you start NI or try to open a biffed resource?

No worries! Here is the debug output from the launch of NI and from trying to open 1 biffed file. 

Spoiler

I do also have mods installed on this version of the game, it's just strange that I can have the same mods installed on BGEE or BG2EE from a different platform and not have the same problem.

#1066 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:08 AM

There are two notable error types:

1) NI can't set up macOS-specific functionality for quitting the application. Apple is known for making regular changes to the API though. If you can still close NI without problems then I can ignore this issue (for now).

2) NI doesn't appear to detect various BIFF files. It's still possible that this is the result of a corrupted chitin.key file. But to make sure, can you check if the files data/BlackPits.bif and data/25Deflt.bif are present in the game? Their file sizes should be ca. 40 MB and 2.8 MB respectively.

Edited by Argent77, 10 September 2021 - 05:09 AM.

#1067 smyth25

smyth25
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:14 AM

I've had a check and both those BIFFs seem to be present in the data folder. Through some further tinkering though I think I may have found that the issue is related to case sensitivity in the chitin.key. Examining the key file through a text editor shows that the BIFF files were referenced in all caps, whereas they were not stored as such in the data folder. Changing the name of the BIFF file to match the case in the key file seemed to allow me access to its contents through NI, while not impeding the game.

I think the change to chitin.key was made by a mod, possibly by tweaks anthology if this thread is anything to go by (it's also 7 years old though so I'm not sure how much has changed since).

In regards to mac specific quitting issue, I've only had odd behaviours as opposed to problems. If I quit NI through the main menubar on my mac (or by using hotkeys), then NI tends not to save any changes I made to my preferences (such as where files in the override folder are displayed). However, if I quit NI from within the application by using Game -> Quit, then it will save any preference changes as normal.

#1068 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:28 AM

I'll see if I can find alternate methods for adding functionality to close NI on macOS. Without that feature macOS seems to kill the process right away without giving NI the chance to do some clean-up.

Considering your latest remark about file case it is possible that there is another issue involved which is currently only a problem on Linux. Can you start Near Infinity with the following command line and check if the problem persists?

java -jar NearInfinity.jar -i

Replace "NearInfinity.jar" with the full path to the file if needed.

Edited by Argent77, 11 September 2021 - 04:29 AM.

#1069 smyth25

smyth25
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:53 AM

Yes that command line did work, NI can read the BIFFs even when they are not matching cases. I'm not sure whether its relevant, but the terminal also returned the following warnings when I opened NI using the command line:

Spoiler

#1070 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 04:59 AM

Good to know. The case-sensitivity issues is already on my todo list and will (hopefully) be fixed in the next release.

The warnings are harmless. They are caused by deprecated but (still) working code.

#1071 smyth25

smyth25
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 05:03 AM

Thank you very much for you help!

#1072 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 06:01 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.2-20211218

Starting with this release I'll include macOS-specific packages for Near Infinity which should provide better integration into the system. It was formerly maintained by AstroBryGuy but hasn't been updated for some time.

Full Changelog:

• Added wildcard support to the "Find resource" feature (magnifier icon above the resource tree):
    • Question mark characters (?) are treated as "match any single character"
  • Added new Check option: Check for string encoding errors (menu Tools > Check):
    • EE games: checks for malformed UTF-8 encoding
    • Original games: checks for unintended UTF-8 byte sequences
  • Added dialog tree viewer option "Sort states by weight"
  • BAM Converter:
    • Added basic file/folder drag&drop support to the frames list
    • "Delete" key shortcut can be used to remove selected entries from frame or cycle lists
  • Item ability flags are now presented based on ITM version
  • Redesigned credits section in "About Near Infinity" dialog
  • Improved loading time for games with large override folders
  • Improved symbolic names detection in decompiled scripts
  • Removed link to original Near Infinity website (which became unavailable recently) in "About Near Infinity" dialog
  • Removed unused "Times per day" field from SPL V1 ability structure
  • Removed useless timing mode 4096 from EFF V1 structures
  • Updated CRE flags
  • Updated SPL V1 flags
  • Updated EFF V2 "Dispel/Resist" and "Parent resource flags"
  • Updated VVC flags
  • Updated opcode 1: Add support for negative modifiers in EE games
  • Updated parameters of opcodes 135, 184 and 232
  • EEex-specific opcodes are properly handled on non-EEex game installations
  • Fixed case-sensitivity issues with file paths on Linux systems
  • Fixed (sometimes) choosing an incorrect script action when decompiling scripts if multiple definitions are specified in ACTION.IDS
  • Fixed sound references associated with string entries not being available if sound file is located in special override folders (e.g. "sounds")
  • Fixed deriving INI actor resource name in Area Viewer
  • Fixed issues with inline editing data in table view of structured resources
  • Fixed issue with exporting string table as TRA file when dialog.tlk path was located on a different (physical or virtual) filesystem as the game root path
  • Fixed ARE Entrance orientation field size
  • Fixed ARE search names not properly updated when loading a new game
  • Fixed data types referencing symbolic names not properly updated when loading or refreshing the game
  • Fixed selected string entry not being shown when String Editor is opened for the first time
  • Fixed incorrect BAM cycle check in creature animation decoder > "character_old" type
  • Several more minor bugfixes and improvements

#1073 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:29 AM

Woo! :cheers: Thanks for this update and your work!

#1074 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 06:18 PM

Edit -> BIFF says "Temporarily disabled" when I tried on ToSC and ToB games which is unfortunate.  Is that intentional or just me?

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#1075 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 10:45 AM

Edit -> BIFF says "Temporarily disabled" when I tried on ToSC and ToB games which is unfortunate.  Is that intentional or just me?

That's intentional. It was necessary when DLC support for EE games was implemented because of potential side effects. I hoped to find a solution at some point, that's why the menu entry hasn't been removed completely yet.

#1076 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 01:40 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.2-20220408

In addition to the usual fixes and features, NI underwent a thorough internal restructuring of the whole code base which resulted in a slight increase of performance and stability, but may have also introduced a bug or two.

Full Changelog:
  • Reactivated BIFF editor (menu Edit > BIFF)
  • Added experimental "Export animation sequence" as APNG file to the Creature Animation Browser
  • Added search options (case-sensitive, regular expression, invert match) to the "Find CRE/ITM/SPL/STO" feature
  • Added system information summary when NI starts up (can be toggled via menu Options > Display system information at startup)
    • May also show warning messages if memory settings are too low for NI to work properly
  • Added native macOS menu bar integration (it is still recommended to use the macOS-specific NI package instead)
  • Added check for invalid STO V1.1 sale triggers to "Check for corrupted files" feature
  • Fixed audio playback blocking the whole application when an error occurred
  • Fixed using incorrect string table on BGEE with unmerged SoD DLC
  • Fixed creature name display for CHR resources in the View panel
  • Fixed false positives in "Check dialogues" feature
  • Fixed issue when sorting results by strref in the "Check for Illegal Strrefs" feature
  • Reduced false positives in "Check for Illegal Strrefs" feature
  • Improved 2DA file parsing in "Check for Illegal Strrefs" feature
  • Updated ITM V1 field for PSTEE: "Description image" -> "Pick up sound"
  • Updated parameters of opcode 232
  • Updated fields in GAM resources
  • Updated area type flags for PSTEE
  • Internal restructuring of the code design
    • modernized code structure
    • cleaned up unused code
    • removed unused libraries
  • Various internal fixes and optimizations

#1077 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 08:21 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.2-20220408-1

This is a quick bugfix release for v2.2-20220408. It fixes a parsing error in the 2DA table reader which resulted in an erroneous splprot table and incomplete results in search or check operations.

#1078 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 08:55 AM

Spell description window bug on 1024x768 resolution(and low), lines Symbolic name and Spell name don't split to multilines and try to fit to max possible width

Normal:

2.png

Right windows shifted, unnecessary horizontal scrollbar:

1.png

3.png

#1079 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 09:14 AM

Yeah, layouts in the Java Swing UI which is used by NI are a complicated matter and difficult to make right for every size and resolution. I'll see if I can improve the situation.

#1080 Insomniator

Insomniator
  • Modder
  • 358 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, layouts in the Java Swing UI which is used by NI are a complicated matter and difficult to make right for every size and resolution. I'll see if I can improve the situation.

Thanx for you work!