NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#981 Argent77

Argent77
  • Staff
  • 1075 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:49 AM

I think I have identified an issue with how NI Area Viewer renders night areas with animated overlays.  When the overlays are enabled, the night shading doesn't seem to be correct:

Overlays not always being properly rendered in BG2(EE) is a known issue. The current solution uses a "dumb" check to determine how to render overlays, which doesn't always work. Fixing it is not trivial though. The great number of different overlay render mechanisms would require to implement individual rendering paths depending on game engine variant and used tileset format.

Additionally, BAMs don't seem to render properly when Background Animations->Show actual animations is enabled, but the transparent color in the BAM is something other than the traditional green (such as BW1's stupid teal color).  The BAM renders properly in the game (BG2).

Actual BAM background color shouldn't matter as long as it's located at palette index 0. Can you provide a BAM sample for me to test?

#982 Sam.

Sam.
  • Modder
  • 1095 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 05:54 PM

I think I have identified an issue with how NI Area Viewer renders night areas with animated overlays.  When the overlays are enabled, the night shading doesn't seem to be correct:

Overlays not always being properly rendered in BG2(EE) is a known issue. The current solution uses a "dumb" check to determine how to render overlays, which doesn't always work. Fixing it is not trivial though. The great number of different overlay render mechanisms would require to implement individual rendering paths depending on game engine variant and used tileset format.

Additionally, BAMs don't seem to render properly when Background Animations->Show actual animations is enabled, but the transparent color in the BAM is something other than the traditional green (such as BW1's stupid teal color).  The BAM renders properly in the game (BG2).

Actual BAM background color shouldn't matter as long as it's located at palette index 0. Can you provide a BAM sample for me to test?

After further examination, I think the 1st issue was a problem with the actual tileset and not an issue with NI, although I'm a bit surprised it wasn't visible in-game.

Here is the offending BAM from the second issue.  I have processed it through PS BAM to fix the palette, and it renders as expected in NI afterward.  Here is the original:

Attached File  ysflwht1.rar   1.69K   2 downloads

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

-- to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage