Dragon Age II News

• Please log in to reply
658 replies to this topic

#241 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Well we can only hope for the best...I am sure alot of the other changes will be uh...welcomed...right...RIGHT?!

But like many people said ME2 was quite a good game so to go that route does not spell doom or gloom...though I will agree it does seem a tad bit lazy however like others have said...

Edited by Vicen, 07 November 2010 - 12:18 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#242 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 12:49 PM

Mmm, well I'd expect Biows at least to be able to make the companions blend in somewhat, even if their gear is unique. xP

If everyone else is using the standard body model, that's going to be a bit difficult. The only way I see this turning out well is if they've actually mixed in some different body models for the non-joinable characters and enemies, e.g. standard and standard heavy. And the classic "Fat Merchant" one.

#243 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:49 PM

Isabela forgot to put her pants on.

She does seem a tad forgetful. Must have a lot on her chest.

Well the game is set to be released in March so I can't say that this information about the companion's armour is surprising. I expect more 'short-cuts' will be revealed before release day.
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#244 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:55 PM

Probably. And yet I know I'll still play the game... that doesn't change the fact that I'm concerned about BioWare's future games though.

#245 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:53 PM

Someone uploaded a 5:32 minute DA II gameplay video (handheld camera) on YouTube. There's some dialogue in it too. Spoiler Warning Applies!

Personally I don't like the new combat system one bit, but maybe that's just me. It just looks too action-y IMO.

In other news, NowGamer has put up an interview with Mike Laidlaw.

#246 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:46 PM

It looks like ME. Maybe the PC version won't be so bad. I was discouraged that the dialogue wheel offered a maximum of three choices, often only two, but this isn't the final version of the game. We'll see.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#247 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:57 PM

Hrmm... Well anything that improves the fluidity of things certainly would be welcome amongst the console market, or indeed even the PC one. Although again it's obvious where they've been looking for inspiration - so yes, ick, PC no want! Those always ended badly. <_<

Also looking at that interview, have to say there are a few things that I can say irked me somewhat though...

Thus, the idea came about that a narrative where you know your character is going to be involved in major events, but you don?t know the how or the why you would do just that. Rather than tasking you with saving the world, Dragon Age II asks you a question: ?Who was the Champion of Kirkwall??

Enter Cassandra and Varric, our storytellers, who dig into the decade-long story behind one of the most important moments in the Dragon Age. They?re the ones asking the questions, but it?s the player who provides the answers.

In other words: "Saving the World Redux Edition." You can re-label it all you like, doesn't make the plot look any better. Of course if it's quality plot once in motion, I'd be more than happy to celebrate it. It's just that tarnishing it with pretty re-naming isn't going to improve those chances though.

Not really, since I think that Origins was a bit niche in its overall presentation. You were hit pretty early on with a lot of statistics, and I think there were number of people who were a little turned off by that element of the game. Trying to figure out if you need a high dexterity or not is a little daunting when you?ve seen nothing of the game so far.

Mmm, maybe to those who are unprepared for such things. There were some stiff requirements that made no sense, yes, but not vulgar enough of a problem when compared to how generic and regimented everything was; I almost thought I had stumbled into a medieval KOTOR2.
It's the experience of the game that's important, not the damned numbers you couldn't give a hurlok about. :rolleyes:

We have done a lot of work to make the entry into DA II be smoother and friendlier. You can literally start fighting within 15 seconds of pressing the start button, and then the complexity slowly unfolds, easing you into the experience over the first bits of the game.

The Icewind Dale II trick... :tease: I rest my case...

Plus one silver says it'll be another blasted tutorial!

(Also, a great many of games being released within the last three years do exactly the same thing in order to make an "epic" intro. Why? I don't know, none of this, none of the people of this world make sense anymore, argh!)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#248 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:13 AM

GAH! I hope the mage player there just sucked balls at tactics, cause that footage was godawfully terrible. xD

#249 -v-

-v-

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:58 AM

And has anyone thought about the fact that everyone in the game, apart from the companions/special characters, will use the standard body models? That's going to look interesting - a dozen identical guards fighting some bunch of wildly different looking companions.

Guards in uniform have an excuse to look identical, and I'm all for my party of random misfits sticking out a bit in a crowd. That is one aspect of the game that doesn't bother me.

But like many people said ME2 was quite a good game so to go that route does not spell doom or gloom...

I enjoyed ME2. I'm replaying it right now. That doesn't mean I want every RPG to be ME2.

She does seem a tad forgetful. Must have a lot on her chest.

:lol:

gameplay video

...when they're putting that much emphasis on the "action", those canned four-hit combos are going to get old really fast. I'm bored with them already.

GAH! I hope the mage player there just sucked balls at tactics, cause that footage was godawfully terrible. xD

I'm not sure DA2 will have "tactics", but given that it appears he has two dead companions in the intro of the game, I think we can safely say that he sucks.

#250 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 10:56 AM

It looks like ME. Maybe the PC version won't be so bad. I was discouraged that the dialogue wheel offered a maximum of three choices, often only two, but this isn't the final version of the game. We'll see.

I wouldn't be surprised if we only got three options. There is a limit on how much VA they're going to do for a game.

Yeah, that kiting looked awful... Diablo 3 clone before it's even released. All those floating numbers and running back and forth and... urgh, I think I'm getting motion sickness without actually moving anywhere.

This just in: "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by EA."

#251 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

If you signed up for the EA/BioWare newsletter previously, they will be sending out the Staff of Parthalan item codes this month. The exact date is still TBA.

In other news, BioWare is making extra money by selling Kirkwall Gate lithographs and various others.

#252 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

News:
BioWare Development Manager Robyn Theberge Interview @ VGD

#253 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:17 AM

After reading a few posts and seeing the Isabela fan art here, I'm convinced that I'm not one the people who will like her. Or at least I'm sure that I don't like the people who like her. I hope she's not going to represent all the female companions in the game, much less the romanceable ones.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Archmage Silver, 13 November 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#254 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:17 PM

Ugh... Moar love interests out in the open now, plz Bioware... =_=

I think she'll probably be amusing, on some level. But have to agree on the fandom developments. Looks almost as bad as Talimancers etc... xP

#255 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

Yeah, the Cult of Isabela is really... odd, to put it nicely. They're not as bad as the Talimancers though, but I do consider both groups to be included in the "Avoid like the Black Plague" category.

#256 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

Yeah, the Cult of Isabela is really... odd, to put it nicely. They're not as bad as the Talimancers though, but I do consider both groups to be included in the "Avoid like the Black Plague" category.

Heh I dont see how so many people like Tali so much...You cant even see her face! Oh wait its her charming personality my fault my fault(Miranda 4 LIFE)! But back to DA2...Zevran was the (Easy) romance option last time...so perhaps they wanted to switch it around and make the girl be the (Easy) option this time?

And I really hope you know what I mean by easy! :whistling:

Also is anyone hoping for an Elf lady to be romanced this time? I certainly am...Hell throw in a dwarf lady as well spice it up! (Ok ok kidding on that last part unless I was a dwarf myself!) :lol:

Edited by Vicen, 13 November 2010 - 06:54 PM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#257 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:23 PM

Tch, dwarvern girls get no long-limbs love I see. :P

All in all, that fandom there looks rather tame compared to some in popular media ones. Plus it's amusing to watch, at a distance.

Wouldn't say any of Bioware's latest could be considered "difficult," with the exception perhaps of tolerating the absurd things we're supposed to attach to every romance, each and every single time. Not to mention bad one-liners...

That said, for the defense, it ain't easy being perfect. ^_^

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#258 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

News:
New Varric Article @ Grey Wardens
Official DA II Site Update: Varric @ BioWare

#259 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

News:
Hands-On Preview @ NowGamer (PS3 Version)
Hands-On Preview @ VideoGamer (Xbox 360 Version)

#260 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

... at the moment the game feels a tad awkward, on the 360 build at least. The faster tempo and slightly over-the-top animations feel very hack and slash, but naturally your attacks don't feel as immediate as what you'd expect from, say, God of War.

So it will look and play like God of War, but without the tight control that makes good action games, well, good. Gotcha.

(Good thing I had no expectations for this game or anything!)

she's dropping not-so-subtle hints about letting Hawke delve into her furry dungeon

furry dungeon

furry dungeon

furry dungeon

And this, right here, is why no one takes "game journalism" seriously.