The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim News

• Please log in to reply
333 replies to this topic

#141 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

They did decent work with the races this time, Argonians and Khajiit really stand out, as do Altmer/Dunmer (and I mostly play Bretons.) The preset faces aren't bad, but seeing what you can get by just modifying them a bit really makes the chargen a good two notches better than Oblivion's.

News:
Hands-On Video @ G4TV
Todd Howard Video Interview @ CVG
High Res Preset Faces @ Bethesda Flickr

#142 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:54 PM

The first two DLC packs for Skyrim will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 for 30 days after the launch.

It's streamlined Oblivion 2.0, time to panic. :rolleyes:

#143 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:59 PM

News:
Preview @ CVG

#144 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

The first two DLC packs for Skyrim will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 for 30 days after the launch.

I never understood the reason for exclusives outside of MMO's. :WTF:

Edit:

PAX Info Thread @ Bethesda Forums

Edited by Darziak, 29 August 2011 - 03:19 AM.

#145 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

I never understood the reason for exclusives outside of MMO's. :WTF:

Edit:

PAX Info Thread @ Bethesda Forums

Microsoft wants to make an extra buck, that's why.

#146 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

News:
Todd Howard Interview @ Kotaku
Todd Howard Video Interview @ Gamer TV Live (YT)
Skyrim Artist Matt Carofano Video Interview @ Destructoid (YT)

#147 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:21 PM

News:
PAX World Info @ Joystiq
Skyrim's Perfect World @ IGN

Edit: Add

Edited by Archmage Silver, 31 August 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#148 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:21 AM

Todd Howard talks about dragons in Skyrim @ Gamespot

#149 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

News:
Realistic Hour @ RPS
Essential NPCs Are In @ Kotaku

#150 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

Bethesda's Flickr page has photos of the at least 44 bronzed statues they'll be using at Skyrim promotional events. They're to scale as far as I can tell.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 06 September 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#151 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:45 AM

They're 7 feet tall, says Bethesda's Facebook post and everyone's raging in the comments that they'd love to have one in their home, or on their front lawn. Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard Elder Scrolls, and I fully intend to spend most of days playing Skyrim when it comes out, but... A 7 foot tall bronzed statue of Dovakhiin in my house? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#152 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

Eh good for intimidation. :D

#153 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

They're 7 feet tall, says Bethesda's Facebook post and everyone's raging in the comments that they'd love to have one in their home, or on their front lawn. Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard Elder Scrolls, and I fully intend to spend most of days playing Skyrim when it comes out, but... A 7 foot tall bronzed statue of Dovakhiin in my house? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Eh good for intimidation. :D

You're all thinking too small, a 1:1 scale Dragon on your roof is where the fun is! :lol:

Just don't tell the city planning committee.

#154 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:17 PM

News:
Changes in Skyrim Summary @ GameSpy

#155 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

The guy that wrote that article needs to come down from his sugar high.

*Possible mild spoilery stuff follows*

I don't see where he gets the idea that the previous Elder Scrolls had restrictive class based systems.

And don't worry about getting stuck in a particular class -- set classes have been thrown out the window in Skyrim, allowing players to develop a character based on the way they play the game. Use a ton of magic and you'll become a skillful mage; stick to sword and shield and your warrior muscles will be bulging by level 15.

There was always the potential to make something of a Jack or Jill of all trades with Daggerfall onwards.(I haven't played much of Arena or Redguard so I wouldn't know about them.) I never felt class restricted and it wasn't until Oblivion that I even made a character that was more sneaksie than magey or warriorish. That was mainly because I used the Deadlier Sneaking mod and went around picking everything off with a bow like my character was a fantasy sniper. :)

Somehow this whole Thief, Warrior, Mage class influenced perk system sounds more restrictive of my playing style. I suppose I'll wait and see how it pans out and mod accordingly. I also think it might need a mod to slow down levelling. I don't want to be fighting a whole lot of super mutant overlord/ghoul reaver dragons when I finally decide to pay attention to the main quest line.
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#156 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:48 PM

I don't see where he gets the idea that the previous Elder Scrolls had restrictive class based systems.

And don't worry about getting stuck in a particular class -- set classes have been thrown out the window in Skyrim, allowing players to develop a character based on the way they play the game. Use a ton of magic and you'll become a skillful mage; stick to sword and shield and your warrior muscles will be bulging by level 15.

There was always the potential to make something of a Jack or Jill of all trades with Daggerfall onwards.(I haven't played much of Arena or Redguard so I wouldn't know about them.) I never felt class restricted and it wasn't until Oblivion that I even made a character that was more sneaksie than magey or warriorish. That was mainly because I used the Deadlier Sneaking mod and went around picking everything off with a bow like my character was a fantasy sniper. :)

Somehow this whole Thief, Warrior, Mage class influenced perk system sounds more restrictive of my playing style. I suppose I'll wait and see how it pans out and mod accordingly. I also think it might need a mod to slow down levelling. I don't want to be fighting a whole lot of super mutant overlord/ghoul reaver dragons when I finally decide to pay attention to the main quest line.

I don't think that he has played TES games all that much... or at all. The only class restrictive TES game is Redguard, and it's not even an RPG. It's a nice action-adventure game though, and you can still get it to run on modern PCs without too many glitches. Incidentally, it was the first TES game I played.

The new skills system might sound dumbed down or restrictive, but it actually makes sense in many ways. Recommended reading: Skyrim wiki page.

#157 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

I don't think that he has played TES games all that much... or at all. The only class restrictive TES game is Redguard, and it's not even an RPG. It's a nice action-adventure game though, and you can still get it to run on modern PCs without too many glitches. Incidentally, it was the first TES game I played.

The new skills system might sound dumbed down or restrictive, but it actually makes sense in many ways. Recommended reading: Skyrim wiki page.

When I described the new system to my husband he really liked the sound of it. He got so frustrated with the repetitive skill training in Morrowind in order to max out attributes that I ended up doing a lot of it for him. He's also loving Fallout 3 so I think he will definitely like Skyrim.
Thanks for the wiki link. I, mainly, tend to lurk at the official forums and catch the new tidbits as they get, obsessively, dissected.(and complained about :) )
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#158 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 08:17 PM

News:
Preview @ Manatank

When I described the new system to my husband he really liked the sound of it. He got so frustrated with the repetitive skill training in Morrowind in order to max out attributes that I ended up doing a lot of it for him. He's also loving Fallout 3 so I think he will definitely like Skyrim.
Thanks for the wiki link. I, mainly, tend to lurk at the official forums and catch the new tidbits as they get, obsessively, dissected.(and complained about :) )

Yeah, MW was annoying that way. I was considering using a mod for that issue, the one that lets you distribute the points where you want to, regardless of which skills you used to level up.

No problem. :)

#159 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Skyrim - Demo on Youtube

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

#160 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

That... that was so awesome. And the music in the start of part 3 is so reminiscent of Morrowind, I almost got all teary.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!