Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Suggested fix (might need to be expanded for Spanish):
ALTER_TLK_LIST BEGIN 18268 18269 18272 END
BEGIN
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~!~ ~?~
END

How insert this code in tp2 file? My friend-modder told that he dont have a reference of how that ALTER_TLK_LIST function is used cause no BG mod uses it.
Near Text: ALTER_TLK_LIST syntax error

Edited by prowler, 14 April 2012 - 10:48 AM.

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#22 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Suggested fix (might need to be expanded for Spanish):
ALTER_TLK_LIST BEGIN 18268 18269 18272 END
BEGIN
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~!~ ~?~
END

How insert this code in tp2 file? My friend-modder told that he dont have a reference of how that ALTER_TLK_LIST function is used cause no BG mod uses it.
Near Text: ALTER_TLK_LIST syntax error

Spoiler

I don't no where the problem might be, I have it like this in my tp2 and it does what it's supposed to do...
For a complete tp2, you need to have the keywords 'BACKUP', 'AUTHOR' and 'BEGIN' (see above example) infront of the code snippet.

#23 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:50 AM

IWD Fixpack issue:

Malvalon's robe (watcher.itm) does not provide immunity against 'Umber Hulk Gaze', if iwd fixpack is installed.

Suggested Fix:
Replace in setup-iwdfixpack.tp2 (search for "clone"):
READ_ASCII ("%fx_off%" + ("%index%" * 0x30)) "clone"
by:
READ_ASCII ("%fx_off%" + ("%index%" * 0x30)) "clone" (0x30)

While the above should solve the issue with the fixpack, I wonder, if it's really neccessary to change watcher.itm at all.
The original IWD file had the 10% magic resistance bonus missing, but this has been addressed by patch 1.06.
Fixpack doesn't try to add this bonus, if not already applied.
Fixpack just tries to reorder the global effects so that 'protection from spell(206)' is been put at the end of the list.
Does the order of global effects in file really matter?

#24 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

-Any weapon (e.g. zzz6bc.itm) that should have a damage/thac0 bonus vs. creatures per its description seem to miss these abilities effects, if you look at it using NI. It may be hardcoded in IWD, but how handles 'IWD in BG2' those?

Hm... I'm not a modder but I want to help 'cause IWD my favourite game.
What about IWD Redrake fixpack? Some items are changed by this mod.

E.g. (from readme) - Arrows of the hand were no different than the Arrows +2. I've changed this, so now Arrows of the hand offer +4 damage vs orcs
- Hellpick, according to its description was used to kill drow wizards. It seems logical to me that the weapon should have bonus against mages. Therefore, +5 damage vs mages.

Can you check this mod and it's damage/thac0 bonus vs. creatures?
http://forums.chosen...sa=view;down=22

Now you have suggestions for fix other items (zzz6bc.itm and others)? :rolleyes:

It needs to be tested, whether the original game items get the mentioned effects applied hardcoded via the IWD engine.
A hint for a special handling could be, that all but 2(3?) file names for items in question starting with 'zz'.

I did some testing on this matter (used zzg7ts.itm 'Trollslayer' in ar7005.are to fight snow and ice trolls).

1. According to dialog window feedback the extra bonus to damage and hit seems to be applied correctly. Since NI doesn't show any of the mentioned effects attached, it must be hardcoded inside the IWD engine. So IWD is ok, but I think those items need some tweaking for IWDinBG2 (if not done already)...

2. The way Redrake's Fixpack applies extra boni to damage and hit for some items doesn't seems to work (and should not according to IESDP). It attaches effects 178 and 179 directly and utilized 'power' for the desired value. But the value has to go to paramter 3 and there is no way to set it using this method.
For testing, I made a copy of zzg7ts.itm and applied the effects the way Redrake's Fixpack did it and the feedback did not show any improvment in to hit or damage.

3. Now it gets wierd... I made another copy of zzg7ts.itm and applied effects 178 and 179 via effect 177, this method is used on original BG1/BG2 items. So far so good, after the first hit the boni get applied correctly (if the feedback is right). But... if you switch to a different weapon the boni stay and don't go away. Even if you fight a different creature with this weapon and than another troll, the boni return... In order to get rid of them, you need to reload a save game.
I think, that's why they didn't use effects 177/178/179 at all and there seems to be no easy way to make items that have damage/to hit boni vs. certain creatures.

And, if this has been already known, sorry for the spam ;)

#25 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

-Any weapon (e.g. zzz6bc.itm) that should have a damage/thac0 bonus vs. creatures per its description seem to miss these abilities effects, if you look at it using NI. It may be hardcoded in IWD, but how handles 'IWD in BG2' those?

Hm... I'm not a modder but I want to help 'cause IWD my favourite game.
What about IWD Redrake fixpack? Some items are changed by this mod.

E.g. (from readme) - Arrows of the hand were no different than the Arrows +2. I've changed this, so now Arrows of the hand offer +4 damage vs orcs
- Hellpick, according to its description was used to kill drow wizards. It seems logical to me that the weapon should have bonus against mages. Therefore, +5 damage vs mages.

Can you check this mod and it's damage/thac0 bonus vs. creatures?
http://forums.chosen...sa=view;down=22

Now you have suggestions for fix other items (zzz6bc.itm and others)? :rolleyes:

It needs to be tested, whether the original game items get the mentioned effects applied hardcoded via the IWD engine.
A hint for a special handling could be, that all but 2(3?) file names for items in question starting with 'zz'.

I did some testing on this matter (used zzg7ts.itm 'Trollslayer' in ar7005.are to fight snow and ice trolls).

1. According to dialog window feedback the extra bonus to damage and hit seems to be applied correctly. Since NI doesn't show any of the mentioned effects attached, it must be hardcoded inside the IWD engine. So IWD is ok, but I think those items need some tweaking for IWDinBG2 (if not done already)...

2. The way Redrake's Fixpack applies extra boni to damage and hit for some items doesn't seems to work (and should not according to IESDP). It attaches effects 178 and 179 directly and utilized 'power' for the desired value. But the value has to go to paramter 3 and there is no way to set it using this method.
For testing, I made a copy of zzg7ts.itm and applied the effects the way Redrake's Fixpack did it and the feedback did not show any improvment in to hit or damage.

3. Now it gets wierd... I made another copy of zzg7ts.itm and applied effects 178 and 179 via effect 177, this method is used on original BG1/BG2 items. So far so good, after the first hit the boni get applied correctly (if the feedback is right). But... if you switch to a different weapon the boni stay and don't go away. Even if you fight a different creature with this weapon and than another troll, the boni return... In order to get rid of them, you need to reload a save game.
I think, that's why they didn't use effects 177/178/179 at all and there seems to be no easy way to make items that have damage/to hit boni vs. certain creatures.

So all weapons '+ XX vs creatures' in Redrake IWD fixpack not work correctly?

Mike, I talk with Redrake and ask him to add your fixes in his mod. Are you give permission for that? :)

Murloc-translator

#26 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

I did not test any items from Redrake's fixpack, I've just used its method to apply the effects to my test item. Maybe I overlooked something, but no, it did not work in my tests. And, if IESDP is right, it should not work...

Mike, I talk with Redrake and ask him to add your fixes in his mod. Are you give permission for that? :)

If it is of any help, sure, go ahead. You do not need to ask, but thank's for doing so... :)

#27 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

1) Yxy's priests and the high torturer don't do anything after casting their initial spells. They just follow me round. They don't even try to punch me.

The scripts in question are d5hitort.bcs, d5yuanp2.bcs and d5yuanp3.bcs. Using HaveSpell(...) as additional trigger for all blocks with a single response containing action spell(...), might solve the issue, but havn't tested yet.

#28 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

1) Yxy's priests and the high torturer don't do anything after casting their initial spells. They just follow me round. They don't even try to punch me.

The scripts in question are d5hitort.bcs, d5yuanp2.bcs and d5yuanp3.bcs. Using HaveSpell(...) as additional trigger for all blocks with a single response containing action spell(...), might solve the issue, but havn't tested yet.

Spoiler

Still not testet in game...

#29 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

For some reason the IWD Fixpack at G3 removes the HaveSpell check from d5hitort.bcs. the other 2 files are untouched.

In fact your change for d5yuanp2.bcs and d5yuanp3.bcs is redundant. they already have the proper HaveSpell checks in the blocks that the code would touch.

Their scripts have nothing for physical attacks only spell casting. It's possible the player's fight lasted long enough for the creatures to run out of spells. They only have 1-2 instances of each memorized.

This should be a no-action as far as fixes go. Unless these creatures are supposed to have physical attacks....

However IWD does have the ForceSpell & ReallyForceSpell actions so perhaps a tweak mod could drop the HaveSpell checks and change the Spell action into ForceSpell or ReallyForceSpell.

Had my games mixed up in the NI windows....

Original IWD unmodified (patched) has the HaveSpell checks IWD+HOW+TOTLM does not have the HaveSpell checks... The HaveSpell check was dropped with HOW if not HOW content then with HOW's latest patch sans ToTLM

Still it is possible that with the limited # of spells memorized by the creatures in question that the player experienced them running out of spells and with no physical attack scripting in place all they did was follow the blocks to keep them in range of the player.... small tiny block hard to see amidst all the others... AttackReevaluate in IWD+HOW+TOTLM AttackOneRound in IWD could be something with the timing of the reevaluation period of 75

the d5hitort.bcs is changed by G3 Fixpack from a Dead check into a StateCheck

With the BG Fixpack and changes between the two version I've learned a few things that you might want to utilize.
I'd change your code to cover some unforeseen possibilities:
Spoiler
I haven't actually ran this yet to see if it does the job. It should tho. Nor do I have any IWD saves to even consider testing in game. uses latest weidu... (at least that's the weidu I have ^^ )

Edited by Sasha Al'Therin, 23 April 2012 - 05:12 PM.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#30 redrake

redrake
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

I did not test any items from Redrake's fixpack, I've just used its method to apply the effects to my test item. Maybe I overlooked something, but no, it did not work in my tests. And, if IESDP is right, it should not work...

Hello Mike,

From what remember when I designed (modified) those weapons I used the already in place system IWD1 used. Weapons like Trollkiller or Three White Doves use this system.
Also, I remember I've tested some of the weapons. Cradle of Mielikki for example, which in my mod grants 50% chances of slaying orcs, works as intended.

Maybe the the already in place IWD1 abilities never worked, though. I can't be sure.
Posted Image
Surrender or be squished!

#31 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Original IWD unmodified (patched) has the HaveSpell checks IWD+HOW+TOTLM does not have the HaveSpell checks... The HaveSpell check was dropped with HOW if not HOW content then with HOW's latest patch sans ToTLM.....

@Sasha
Thank's for the code example. It's always good to learn something new about WeiDu...

I've tested it in game now and the scripts seem to work (meaning the priests attack after casting their spells).
However, I stumbled right upon a new issue. Some priest creatures in this area don't know the spells they are supposed to use via script or don't have the needed number of them memorized. For example, the High Torturer (hightort.cre) does not know 'Symbol of pain'...

More work to do, but right now I'm not sure about the best way. Add the missing spells to the creatures or change scripts to use (Really)ForceSpell(..) in conjuction with some local spell sequence variable...

#32 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

More work to do, but right now I'm not sure about the best way. Add the missing spells to the creatures or change scripts to use (Really)ForceSpell(..) in conjuction with some local spell sequence variable...

That becomes more the realm of tweaks as I don't think ALL would necessarily have the same spells memorized. I believe the script was intended as a general/race script for several creatures with different pre-memorized abilities.

Also if ALL had the same spells or had them using the ReallyForceSpell action then they'd never do any physical attacks as I believe ReallyForceSpell doesn't require the spells to be memorized.

If you do decide to go that route try adding in some randomness, this is an example from another mod which uses one of the spell actions to make a creature invisible and attempt a backstab. Since this spell action in the BG2 engine is always effective, the mod author wanted to give opportunities for it to fail and do other things.
Spoiler

At the very least you could code something up and offer it as an optional component...

My working mods:

#33 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hello Mike,

From what remember when I designed (modified) those weapons I used the already in place system IWD1 used. Weapons like Trollkiller or Three White Doves use this system.
Also, I remember I've tested some of the weapons. Cradle of Mielikki for example, which in my mod grants 50% chances of slaying orcs, works as intended.

Maybe the the already in place IWD1 abilities never worked, though. I can't be sure.

Hello Redrake,

it all started, when I red the descriptions of some of the original ingame items which should provide to hit/damage boni vs. xx creatures and couldn't find any of the mentioned effects attached to them (using NI). I was wondering, if they work at all. As it turned out, they do. That means to me the effects are applied hardcoded. And the engine must detect those items by their names, because, if you just make a copy using a different file name and clua them into the game, the effects are gone.

Then Prowler mentioned your fixpack and I made some further test as described above.
My conclusion: so far I don't see a way to make custom items that grant boni to hit/damage without any unwanted side effects (e.g. permanent boni).

In my installation (TotLm), I could not find any original item that is using effects 177,178 or 179. Which is kind of weird, because they used those in BG1, which came out first and I thought IWD was built upon it...

Otoh, I'm not an expert at all in those things and I might get it all wrong...

#34 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

That becomes more the realm of tweaks as I don't think ALL would necessarily have the same spells memorized. I believe the script was intended as a general/race script for several creatures with different pre-memorized abilities.

Also if ALL had the same spells or had them using the ReallyForceSpell action then they'd never do any physical attacks as I believe ReallyForceSpell doesn't require the spells to be memorized.

Sorry, I wasn't probably quite clear.
The scripts in question (d5hitort.bcs, d5yuanp2.bcs and d5yuanp3.bcs) are unique to only one creature each (The High Torturer and Yxy's two personal priests).
And for The High Torturer it really would make sense to cast 'Symbol of pain'... :devil:

You are right, according to IESDP (Really)ForceSpell(..) does not require the spell to be memorized (and not even to be known?).
That's why HaveSpell(..) needs to be replaced by some local variable check (like 'Global("SPELL_PHASE","LOCALS",0)', used in d5hibap.bcs)

Or one would just add the spell to the creature, which means to touch another file...

#35 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

in that case if the scripts are specific to a specific creature then it isn't that much of a stretch to say that the spells were forgotten to be added when the scripts were made. Just be sure to state that that is the conclusion you came to when releasing (if you do) the mod. No need to do any scripting ninja work. :P

My working mods:

#36 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

Mike, have you found any solution for this?

Murloc-translator

#37 -Mike-

-Mike-

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Oh, and I missed one. Mike made all sorts of script changes to the High Baptist et al since they weren't attacking. The problem with them was actually a lot simpler--they lacked weapons, which was fixed in v2.

The weapons are not going to solve the issue within the mentioned scripts, as they miss HaveSpell() checks and therefore they get stuck in some SeeNearestEnemy() blocks. That's why the creatures don't attack at all.

Original IWD was ok, but somewhere between then and the latest patch (TotLm), the checks got lost...

Btw. there are more glitches/loose ends in those scripts, example:
The High Torturer should per script cast 'Symbol Of Pain' but he does not have the spell.
And if he had, he wouldn't be able to use from his spellbook, being only a low level priest.

With even more script changes, he could probably cast it from a scroll, if he had one...

If someone likes to link this to the G3 thread... Many thanks to CamDawg for all the effort he put into all of his great IWD mods!

#38 Ayrus

Ayrus
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:01 AM

When you speak to Hrothgar in the beginning of the game, at one point he says: "Don't really know.  The messenger wasn't too specific.  I suppose if you want more details you could ask old Everard over at the temple, but time's a-wasting.". But actually, the English voice says "I don't know.", not "Don't know".

Really :). Not the biggest bug in the world, but anyway.

Also, I noticed that the new Item Upgrade version 4 has a folder called "delete for release". That probably shouldn't be there?

#39 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

@Ayrus: Could you please post your bug report to the forum at Gibberlings 3.

#40 Ayrus

Ayrus
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

@Ayrus: Could you please post your bug report to the forum at Gibberlings 3.

Actually, I tried it previously, but I got errors when posting the message. It said: "Content Encoding Error" "The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression." "Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.". I posted as a guest there, since I don't have an account there. I use Firefox 16.