• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#881 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

The game has no END cinematic anymore, hope it will be fixed soon

Kill Sarevok -> instant Main menu ; no cinematic, no generic, nothing.
http://forum.baldurs...#Comment_169771

Is this for real??? :WTF:

Words truly fail me.

No, it has one (endmovie.wbm). In my opinion it is one of the better new cinematics. Whether or not it actually triggers in game is another matter (I haven't gotten that far in my playthrough yet).

If you would prefer the old movies, that's about to be possible. I need to find someone to do the WeiDU coding to make it a real mini-mod (WeiDU just isn't really my thing). Any volunteers???

Edited by Sam., 03 December 2012 - 09:27 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#882 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'm not seeing blurry graphics. They look pretty good.

Edited by Solaufein, 03 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#883 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm not seeing blurry graphics. They look pretty good.

Me too.

Honestly, I don't get all the comments about blurry graphics. That's totally not what I'm getting on my computer, and I'm often left wondering whether we are playing the same game.

The upscaling algorithm BG:EE is using is the best available. That's not a matter of opinion so much as a matter of maths: No filter is better, barring perhaps Lanczos (and even that is debatable). It is far superior than anything any GPU or computer monitor could possibly do.
Some (minor) blurriness is unavoidable as it is inherent to the way upscaling works to begin with, but the blurriness in BG:EE really is pretty minor. I know there are issues with FXAA (nVIDIA) and MLAA (ATi), so people experiencing lots of blur should try to disable those.

Edited by Andrea C., 03 December 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#884 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

So the people you should really be blaming are... Me (and Yovaneth, Avenger_teambg, Solaufein, CamDawg, Wisp, Ardanis, FredRichardson, etc, etc, etc)

It's cool, man, I'm not actually blaming you, I'm blaming the Gaming Hitler (Oster).

But I'm going to totally patronize you. After all, you were just a volunteeer, you couldn't do any better :smug:

#885 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Some (minor) blurriness is unavoidable as it is inherent to the way upscaling works to begin with, but the blurriness in BG:EE really is pretty minor. I know there are issues with FXAA (nVIDIA) and MLAA (ATi), so people experiencing lots of blur should try to disable those.

This is why the game needs a go(o)d configuration program, not a removal of one.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#886 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

I'll blame the modders; how about that. In exchange for whoring yourselves out, now you get credit for this disaster of a release. The people best able to hold Beamdog to the standard they helped establish have failed all of us.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#887 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Seriously? Usually I don't step up to troll bait; this time I just might.

I didn't see you do anything but spout unconstructive pessimism about the project during its development. Some of us, instead of sitting around and complaining, actually did something. No, we didn't necessarily agree with all of the decisions made, but you can damn well be sure we worked hard to make the product the best it could be with the limited time we each had. Is it perfect? Of course not. Very few early releases are.

I am not happy with the bugs right now, and I'm not necessarily happy with the state of the UI as it stands. But that doesn't mean I'm going to sit around and accuse every tester but myself that they "didn't do their job." I wholeheartedly support BG:EE, I think the team have done a good job with a difficult project, and I know it'll get improved in future patches. Have you seen how much they've improved things, how much they've listened to the players in just the last few days?

Did I "whore myself out" in exchange for release credits? Hardly. I volunteered for the same reason I run and help pay for this website: because I give a damn. And I can't speak for other testers, but I really don't appreciate the insinuation that I did it for any other reason.

#888 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

I appreciate that the BGEE devs have been putting out patches very quickly (although I personally have not experienced many of the problems I've seen other people mention). I also like what I've seen of the original content.

However, I'm disappointed because people who weren't as excited about BGEE to begin with got absolutely nothing to change their mind. I saw "BGEE is a buggy mess" and really, really wanted to give it a chance; a lot of people saw "BGEE is a buggy mess" and decided it wasn't worth their money. It feels like BGEE was super rushed for no good reason (it's a 14-year-old game, waiting a while longer for a new version will not kill anybody). I'm worried about the bad feelings this has created among people who might have supported the game if the initial release was more polished, and what this means for future projects (BG2EE, etc.).

Actually, waiting a bit longer could have killed Overhaul games, since they're a small company.
Well, depends how much longer.

That, and there's the negative impact of changing the release date twice (remembert the previous uproar ?)
There was a few critical bugs at release, but they've been working hard to fix them (Some have already been fixed)

I've finished BG:EE and The Black Pits, and I encountered a few bugs during the game, but nothing game-breaking or that a simple reload won't fix..
The UI, globally, is not too bad. There's a few things they could reallty improve (The spellbooks is a fine example of something that just doesn't cut it for me), but otherwise, the release is pretty solid.

#889 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

I'll blame the modders; how about that. In exchange for whoring yourselves out, now you get credit for this disaster of a release.

Whore myself out just to get my name in the credits for a game? Ha! Normally I name very large sums of money before starting to write code or create graphics for any commercial project I've worked on. And I mean VERY large. Call that whoring if you like. I once had the satisfaction of walking into a branch of Game and counting SEVENTEEN games or expansion packs I'd had a hand in and I'd been paid for every bloody one. Never heard of me? No, you haven't. I prefer to work as a sub-contractor because I can't be arsed to put up with the pressure that the main developers have.

Finally, you, Phordicus, are a troll who has absolutely no idea what you are talking about or what game development involves. When you can point to a single boxed game that you have provided any content for at all, then I will listen to you.

You may have the last word if it gives you any satisfaction - I can't be bothered with you any longer.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 04 December 2012 - 02:04 AM.

#890 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

I need to find someone to do the WeiDU coding to make it a real mini-mod (WeiDU just isn't really my thing). Any volunteers???

Sure. Hit me up with the specifics of what you need, or I can probably PM you something in a few hours.

#891 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

I've gotten to the end of the game, and you actually get two things :

1] You get the ending cinematic, then go back to the main screen.
2] You get a "final save" that grants you the possibility to keep playing after killing Sarevok.(And I found this to be quite nice, for those that like to do "Okay, get rid of Sarevok, then do Durlag & stuff"

I don't know who said that the cinematic wouldn't display, but it actually does.

#892 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

stop arguing stupids

https://twitter.com/...783543106461696

BGEE was rejected by Apple again, hardly surprising.

#893 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

There are a ton of misconceptions about this release... and some blatant lies floating around that get assumed to be true when repeated enough times. This is all I will be modding for in the future. But I still just don't understand - everyone loves their modded TuTu or BGT or whatnot... and praise the modders for creating that content... then dismiss us when we have come back out of the woodwork to say that BGEE is the real deal? Sure, it's a little rough around the edges right now. But come on! This game came out less than a week ago. There have already been 2 public patches. You wanna wait and see what happens, that's fine. You wanna dismiss it entirely, that's fine too. Should have never taken the troll bait either:P

As for whoring myself @phordicus... wow! Really?

#894 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

This game came out less than a week ago.

Yeah, no. This game came out what, 15 yeras ago? And the engine it was ported to came out two years later. There is no excuse for somehow introducing new bugs.

#895 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

This game came out less than a week ago.

Yeah, no. This game came out what, 15 yeras ago? And the engine it was ported to came out two years later. There is no excuse for somehow introducing new bugs.

BG:EE is not an adaptation, it's a rehaul of the engine. Kinda like GemRB on steroïds.
I don't know if you're familiar with programming, but overhauling an engine is a huge task that's full of pitfalls.
They did an OK job with their release. They are listening and communicating with the community, they are working with the modders. The new content they provided was good. Neera is probably my new favorite Wizard in the BG series.

You may think that BG:EE is not suited to your taste, and that's fine.

But in my eyes, Trent & his team are good, motivated and dedicated people.
In the long run, I'm confident that we will get a (somewhat) bug free game, additional content as DLC (both free, and paid) and the main mods will be adapted to work with BG;EE (SCS, Spell Revisions, BG1NPC project and Unfinished Business are already on the way).
You can almost grasp their love for the game by the way they are handling this project.

#896 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

You can almost grasp their love for the game by the way they are handling this project.

Oh come on. How is it that the critical side is criticized for overstating things when no one's raises an eyebrow to statements like this?

The bottom-line is that they released a version of Baldur's Gate which you really have to work for to find any advantages to compared to a BGT-installation with mods, yet with a number of sizeable disadvantages. I don't care about how lovely a guy Trent is. He could be running a home for orphaned kittens on the side and I wouldn't give a toss. The bottom line is that he is splitting the community around a product that has the sole end goal of making him a profit, and he provides an inferior product. Yes, maybe that product will end up being surperior to modded BGT with years and years of modder devotion, but that isn't what he gets paid to provide.

He gets paid to provided a better version of Baldur's Gate to me. He has failed to do that. As far as Overhaul and BG:EE goes, that's the only thing they should be judged upon. Not whether they're really good guys or awfully nice on the forums or whatever else they might have going for them. Is BG:EE an enhanced version of the BGT install I have on my computer? No. Just no. All that additional content and freedom from bugs for a dubious new UI, three NPCs and a very average arena-mode with little ties to the rest of the game? It's absurd. This situation, is absurd.

Edited by Grunker, 04 December 2012 - 07:43 AM.

"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#897 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Oh come on. How is it that the critical side is criticized for overstating things when no one's raises an eyebrow to statements like this?

The bottom-line is that they released a version of Baldur's Gate which you really have to work for to find any advantages to compared to a BGT-installation with mods, yet with a number of sizeable disadvantages. I don't care about how lovely a guy Trent is. He could be running a home for orphaned kittens on the side and I wouldn't give a toss. The bottom line is that he is splitting the community around a product that has the sole end goal of making him a profit, and he provides an inferior product. Yes, maybe that product will end up being surperior to modded BGT with years and years of modder devotion, but that isn't what he gets paid to provide.

He gets paid to provided a better version of Baldur's Gate to me. He has failed to do that. As far as Overhaul and BG:EE goes, that's the only thing they should be judged upon. Not whether they're really good guys or awfully nice on the forums or whatever else they might have going for them. Is BG:EE an enhanced version of the BGT install I have on my computer? No. Just no. All that additional content and freedom from bugs for a dubious new UI, three NPCs and a very average arena-mode with little ties to the rest of the game? It's absurd. This situation, is absurd.

There's a huge difference in the quality level one can obtain from a team that loves the project they're working on, and a team that's just doing what they're paid for. I'll put my eggs in the loving basket, any day.
Finally, the UI is far from "Dubious". Sure, there's a few things that need to be improved, but overall, it is very solid.Feels a bit weird, due to the change, but after playing a bit with the new UI, I just love it.... and it can be easily modded anyway, so the point is moot :)

I don't say that the current version is perfect. It's far from it (Bugs, UI that could use some improvements & so on)
But there's a lot of signs that tell me that it will become great. And for that, they have my support.

Edit.: Oh, and the "average arena mod" is far from average, it's actually very cool 8)

Edited by Aranthys, 04 December 2012 - 08:13 AM.

#898 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:09 AM

There's a huge difference in the quality level one can obtain from a team that loves the project they're working on, and a team that's just doing what they're paid for.

Yeah, that's right!
That's why BGT is objectively better than BGEE.

#899 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

There's a huge difference in the quality level one can obtain from a team that loves the project they're working on, and a team that's just doing what they're paid for.

I think the people that use integrated cards would take issue with that statement, especially seeing as they will have no problems running the GoG release with BGT.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#900 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

I think the people that use integrated cards would take issue with that statement, especially seeing as they will have no problems running the GoG release with BGT.

They're working on fixing the game for Intel HD integrated chips, according to the latest post, (December 3rd). :)