Photo

DIABLO 3 MEGATHREAD (Release is tomorrow 5/15/12!)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

The last thread was from 2008, so here is the new D3 thread, in anticipation of tomorrow's release!

I've been involved with this since the beta first started as invite-only, and I'm super-excited for tomorrow. I quite enjoyed the gameplay and everything that's been upgraded, and I'm speaking as a long-time Diablo player. I really feel other fans are going to enjoy the game as well :D

I'm also INCREDIBLY PROUD of this release as a good friend of mine, Josh, got a total break from some mutual friends at Blizzard who work in the art department. He went from delivering pizzas for a completely insane manager, and is now on the QA staff for Blizzard. "Diablo III" will be his very first video game credit. One of his co-workers posted a screencap of the credits and it was pretty heartwarming to see his name there... I've gotten to see him bust his butt over and over again, working ridiculously long hours and having to give up his social life for a while, just to help assure that we as players ended up with the best possible end product. :3

BUT ENOUGH OF THIS SYRUPY SWEET TALK. Let us discuss DIABLO 3.

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#2 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't order it, I think I'll wait a bit before I pick it up. Looks kinda cool though (maybe I'm not as excited, because I wasn't a big Diablo 2 fan when it was released).

Congrats to your friend Josh! :new_thumbs: It's always great to see your hard work pay off, he must be thrilled.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#3 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

The first game I ever played was Diablo. I played it like a crazy person, and then Diablo 2, for years and years. THIS SERIES HOLDS A PLACE IN MY HEART, YOU GUYS.

I'm going to be a badass wizard lady. WIZAAAARDS.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#4 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Oh yeah, that wizard looks sooooooo badass, I'd totally play as wizard!!! :D
I can totally understand the series holding a place in your heart, Choo Choo. For me, it was "King's Quest", but it was a bit older... ^_^ Then came Zork, then came Baldur's Gate... Sigh, so many good games, so little time!

Edited by Eleima, 14 May 2012 - 10:52 PM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#5 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'll wait for the offline version.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#6 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

Maybe this may sate your appetite for now

#7 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Yay! My copy is preordered and scheduled to arrive today. Fiance and I used to host Diablo 2 LAN parties at our house, and we're really looking forward to Diablo 3. I have deliberately kept myself from reading too much about the game in order to avoid potential disappointment if it wasn't everything it was hyped to be, but I'm cautiously optimistic. My favorite class in Diablo 2 was paladin, but I'm sure one or more of the classes offered in Diablo 3 will suit me just as well.

Congratulations to your friend!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#8 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

I must admit I did not play the first two (I was working on PC Gaming World back then and was reviewing other stuff and my Deputy Editor snagged Diablo for himself!) Is there much roleplay, as I got the sense that the first two were more of a dungeon crawl.

#9 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

It's total hack-and-slash. It's fun, but hack-and-slash it remains.

There's supposed to be a story in the sense that each level has a theme to it and different character classes have their own unique attack and defense modes, but the only decision the player has to make is which specific talent to use to kill things. OK, there are NPCs that will tell your character things and your character does have missions with some point beyond "kill things," but it's usually along the lines of "Rescue the narrator from a cage" or "Bring me my hammer."

Sometimes, all you want to do is mash a button and watch things blow up. It's therapeutic.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#10 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

I love the Diablo series of games. Its the first game I ever played on a computer. I really would like to get it but I will not be dictated to by being forced to have a constant internet connection in order to play it. At least that was how it was during its production. If that has changed do enlighten me and I may go out and buy it this weekend.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#11 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

Nope, looks like you need an internet connection to play. Don't know how long that's going to last. They have already discovered that their servers are not equal to the challenge. All of the North American servers are currently offline for emergency maintenance.

berelinde's mods

#12 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#13 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Well they won't get my money then.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#14 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Nope, looks like you need an internet connection to play. Don't know how long that's going to last. They have already discovered that their servers are not equal to the challenge. All of the North American servers are currently offline for emergency maintenance.

As well as the European servers. If the raging comments of friends on Facebook are anything to go by...

#15 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

So, if all the servers are down, that means no one can play the game they bought, right?

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

They didn't all go down apparently, and some people have already finished the game in 7-12 hours. That's your usual fast run time for D3.

I won't be covering the news for Diablo 3, because I'm not that interested in it.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 15 May 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#17 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

The servers *were* down sporadically between 10am and 5pm. The North American servers went offline at 5:15pm for maintenance and came back online around 7PM. All times are Eastern Standard (New York).

It seems to be working OK now.

berelinde's mods

#18 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

Yeah, WAY ticked about this. NO idea why the devs thought this was a good plan.

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#19 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Ugh...the amount of errors for the US release (and I suspect European and Asian as well) is astounding...Error 37...how I hate you!

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#20 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

Dear Blizzard,
You just lost my $59.99

Good job pissing off all your paying customers and potential customers over
Imaginary profits lost from piracy