Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#3461 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:24 PM

Today's inexplicable weirdness: I finally installed the Steam version of BGEE.  It has a completely different UI from the GoG version, much more like the pre-2.x version (in fact I'm not sure if its even changed since 1.3, but it says v.2.3.67.3).  Unfortunately it also throws even more errors during a BWS installation than the GoG version does :/  Its been a good while since I uploaded my giant pile of errors so I figured I might as well try a whole new install from a different source.  I think I might have forgotten to run MODMERGE on this install (which I assume is still needed for GoG and Steam versions) so I don't know if that would have contributed to any errors.  I should mention that all of the errors I'm seeing with my GoG install of BGEE are also present in the Steam copy.  One that I know is my own fault is the failure of the golem building mod (name escapes me) because I don't have the Steam BG2EE.  Is it possible to use the GoG BG2EE with the Steam BGEE in order to fix this, and if so how?  Thanks, folks.

Attached Files

#3462 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:54 PM

I think I might have forgotten to run MODMERGE on this install (which I assume is still needed for GoG and Steam versions) so I don't know if that would have contributed to any errors.

You need modmerge for sure

it says v.2.3.67.3

This is the up-to-date version. (And your BG2EE needs to be 2.3.xxxxx as well, if you want EET).

Edited by Roxanne, 28 December 2016 - 11:57 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#3463 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:55 PM

Someone more knowledgeable than me could more accurately assist you, but I can offer some general advice.

Rather than running bgee from program files (not recommended), set up a nice and easy base to start from. For instance D:\Games with D:\Games\BGEE, etc. 

Then perhaps wipe your current bgee install, download it freshly through steam (ensuring no mods etc). Copy the game to d:\games\bgee, delete the steam related .dll file, run modmerge if you have SoD, test the game works (make a temp character and quit in candlekeep, test SoD works too). Now use 7-zip to create a .7z (with 'store' compression) of your clean game (e.g., bg-sod.7z). 

You could do the same for bg2ee and also make a D:\Games\BWS folder for your various BWS stuff.

The above is similar to how I have things set up and means I can quickly scrap installs, quickly test BWS, etc, without redownloading the game each time or worrying about which distribution platform the games came from.

#3464 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

Someone more knowledgeable than me could more accurately assist you, but I can offer some general advice.

Rather than running bgee from program files (not recommended), set up a nice and easy base to start from. For instance D:\Games with D:\Games\BGEE, etc. 

Then perhaps wipe your current bgee install, download it freshly through steam (ensuring no mods etc). Copy the game to d:\games\bgee, delete the steam related .dll file, run modmerge if you have SoD, test the game works (make a temp character and quit in candlekeep, test SoD works too). Now use 7-zip to create a .7z (with 'store' compression) of your clean game (e.g., bg-sod.7z). 

You could do the same for bg2ee and also make a D:\Games\BWS folder for your various BWS stuff.

The above is similar to how I have things set up and means I can quickly scrap installs, quickly test BWS, etc, without redownloading the game each time or worrying about which distribution platform the games came from.

BWS has a built-in backup and restore feature for the games it supports.  Also, deleting Steam-specific files really doesn't make any difference.  The real issue is that the Steam version of BGEE actually has some changes to the file tree, just like the GoG version does.  That's why MODMERGE is necessary.  The only real mystery to me is why the UIs are different on the Steam and GoG editions - well, that and the extra errors the Steam version has, which could be partly my fault.  Right now I'm just really hoping the bugs that I'm seeing in both can be addressed.  Some of them are clearly inherent to certain mods or perhaps just the BWS implementations of those mods.

#3465 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:56 AM

Anyone knows when IWD EE and IWD2 will be included in newest BWS?

#3466 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:15 AM

Anyone knows when IWD EE and IWD2 will be included in newest BWS?

When ever it's ready... first, it needs to be released. Then tested, and checked that it works with say 5+ mods in BWS and then ... then it maybe be added.

At least I would expect that to be the case here... as you can try to fart without air pressure(in space)... but it wouldn't matter either way as you could not hear the sound as there's no air pressure.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3467 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

psycros - Siege of Dragonspear replaces BGEE's original UI.  From GoG, SoD is a separate download and installer.  I don't know if Steam has a combined BGEE+SoD installer.  If not, perhaps you forgot to install SoD in either your GoG or your Steam folder?  In any case, comparing BGEE-without-SoD vs. BGEE+SoD, you will see a different UI.  As others have said, running modmerge (only if you install SoD, and obviously after you install SoD) is essential before doing any other modding, with or without BWS.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#3468 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 01:32 AM

I'm trying to do a "Tactical" Installation and I'm also getting this message

WARNING: file "setup-NTotSCv171.tp2" does not exist (this is the file targeted for patching in "SETUP-NTOTSCV171.TP2.PATCH" in "Big World Fixpack/NTotSCv171").

I've verified that the file is present inside C:\BigWorldSetup-bigworldsetup-88b86733c4d3\BiG World Downloads\NTotSCEET-Interim-master.zip\NTotSCEET-Interim-master\NTotSCv171 so I don't know why it's posting this. 

#3469 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:58 AM

Harmless. You may disregard that warning.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#3470 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:42 AM

Harmless. You may disregard that warning.
But harmless in what way? Will fixpack still be able to patch NToSC or not? :)

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#3471 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:36 AM

The "Interim" NTotSC package used by BWS for EE installs does not contain the file targeted for patching by the Big World Fixpack. The patch is unnecessary for EE installs and it is irrelevant whether you answer yes or no, because answering yes will have no effect. The fact that it is prompting about that patch is a bug in BWS, but ... for the reasons above ... Harmless.

#3472 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:35 AM

The "Interim" NTotSC package used by BWS for EE installs does not contain the file targeted for patching by the Big World Fixpack. The patch is unnecessary for EE installs and it is irrelevant whether you answer yes or no, because answering yes will have no effect. The fact that it is prompting about that patch is a bug in BWS, but ... for the reasons above ... Harmless.
Thanks a lot agb1, all is clear now! :)

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#3473 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:40 AM

If I try to install anything more than the "Recommended" preset the installation ultimately fails due to it suffering from "Out of Memory".  It seems to consistantly fail at this stage during the installation of EET:

Spoiler

#3474 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:08 AM

Can you open the file in the folder and look at it's size ? (meaning of course the EET/TEMP/PATCH/DLG/SHARTJ.D -file)

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#3475 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 07:22 AM

Can you open the file in the folder and look at it's size ? (meaning of course the EET/TEMP/PATCH/DLG/SHARTJ.D -file)

It's 331KB in size, not exactly large :D

#3476 GrimLefourbe

GrimLefourbe
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

I believe this is computer memory issue. I have noticed huge spikes in memory usage during my latest EET install(a while ago now). How much RAM do you have? Is your system 32 or 64 bits? ( I believe this impact the maximum memory a program can hold though it shouldn't be a problem here) Were you doing something else while installing EET?

#3477 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:38 PM

I believe this is computer memory issue. I have noticed huge spikes in memory usage during my latest EET install(a while ago now). How much RAM do you have? Is your system 32 or 64 bits? ( I believe this impact the maximum memory a program can hold though it shouldn't be a problem here) Were you doing something else while installing EET?

Windows 10 64 bit

16GB RAM

The only other thing I was doing was watching Youtube videos.

#3478 psycros

psycros
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:05 PM

psycros - Siege of Dragonspear replaces BGEE's original UI.  From GoG, SoD is a separate download and installer.  I don't know if Steam has a combined BGEE+SoD installer.  If not, perhaps you forgot to install SoD in either your GoG or your Steam folder?  In any case, comparing BGEE-without-SoD vs. BGEE+SoD, you will see a different UI.  As others have said, running modmerge (only if you install SoD, and obviously after you install SoD) is essential before doing any other modding, with or without BWS.

Hmmm.  I'm thinking I forgot about SoD when I reinstalled the GoG copy of BGEE a while back.  But if that's the case then I shouldn't be seeing the ugly black and red menus, right?  OOOH I bet I know - I probably forgot to make a new backup in BWS after that and then restored it at some point.  Duh.

#3479 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:20 PM

I've done quite a number of EET test installs through BWS and yes never had the recommended preset install as-is without modifying it. Fairly decent computer (win10 pro x64/ 32gb ram/ bws + games on 1tb 850 evo), with windows defender real time protection temporarily off (not sure if this is involved but it does add noticable cpu usage) and the computer otherwise idle during install. 

Perhaps we could temporarily alter the recommended preset to get an easier to install EET until the core issue is resolved? 

Taking the recommended preset and deselecting bgqe and bg1ub components 19+20 seem enough for me to install EET just fine. I'm a bit cautious of mods installed during bg1ee especially if they add/ modify dialog involving the bg1 npc's, as the error often involves them. Could probably be more precise but it's a bit tedious to repeat the test installs.

I did an install just now with the above selection and it installed OK. Maybe someone else can do the same test install and see how they go.

PS, as a comparison, SHARTJ.D is 299 KB in this install. 

#3480 Faenor

Faenor
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 02:28 AM

I've done quite a number of EET test installs through BWS and yes never had the recommended preset install as-is without modifying it. Fairly decent computer (win10 pro x64/ 32gb ram/ bws + games on 1tb 850 evo), with windows defender real time protection temporarily off (not sure if this is involved but it does add noticable cpu usage) and the computer otherwise idle during install. 

Perhaps we could temporarily alter the recommended preset to get an easier to install EET until the core issue is resolved? 

Taking the recommended preset and deselecting bgqe and bg1ub components 19+20 seem enough for me to install EET just fine. I'm a bit cautious of mods installed during bg1ee especially if they add/ modify dialog involving the bg1 npc's, as the error often involves them. Could probably be more precise but it's a bit tedious to repeat the test installs.

I did an install just now with the above selection and it installed OK. Maybe someone else can do the same test install and see how they go.

PS, as a comparison, SHARTJ.D is 299 KB in this install. 

The Recommended preset works just fine for me, it's anything more than that where it starts to break down.  The Shartj.D file is 324kb for the unaltered Reccomended preset.

Edit:

I just downloaded the latest version of BWS (the one where you removed the error message about NTotSC) and tried out a Tactical installation, however when it got to running the batch command for the BG2EE section it threw this error:

Spoiler

after pressing a key I get this:

Spoiler

I notice that it seems to have extracted an extra directory layer so my BG2EE install looks like this : C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\BiG_World_Fixpack\BiG World Fixpack\_messages putting it one layer further than it's looking for.

Edit 2:

Ok I attempted it a second time and it made it through the batch command for BG2EE without an issue, currently installing EET, will monitor progress...

Edit 3

It's made it past the infamous SHARTJ.D -> IMOEN files..

Edit 4:

Installation stopped at this point with this message:

Spoiler

Note the prompt to make a selection here was only visible in the Debug Log, not the GUI (and is the same in all subsequent error reports!).  I will try installing spell revisions while skipping the conflicting components when they come up.

Edit 5:

Installation was once again stopped at this point (having not long skipped the one for Wild Mage Additions):

Spoiler

Given the relevant instruction regarding Refinements I shall skip this one.

Next Interuptiion:

Spoiler

Again I'm skipping this, as well as all the others in the Divine Remix 0100 and 0200 sections.

Edit 6:

Installation threw an error while attempting to install Might and Guile:

Spoiler

Clearly something didn't go right here (I assume it's something the mod author of Might and Guile needs to fix), will select continue and see what happens.

Edit 7

Towards the end of the extremely long install of Sword Coast Strategems the install was once again interupted with the following message:

Spoiler

I select continue and see what happens and find a similar message a bit later:

Spoiler

Edit 8

Just after Sword Coast Strategems finally completed we have JIm's Fixes and Tweaks which threw this message:

Spoiler

So continuing on...and I then find this:

Spoiler

Edit 9

After encountering Atweaks and skipping the relevent components that conflicted with Spell Revisions (as per instructions in Edit 4), the install completed succesfully without further interuptions.  I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this project, I couldn't possibly be able to mod Baldur's Gate without BWS.  I hope my analysis has been helpful and not annoying and for everyone to enjoy a Happy New Year :).

Edited by Faenor, 31 December 2016 - 04:41 PM.