Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#5261 Niewiem

Niewiem
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 02:31 AM

Hi all

I have been gone for a long time and wanted to ask quick question.
Is normal BGT updated for BWS - because I saw some drama and that a lot of people that were working with BWS left. I wanted to know if I can use BWS to install a megamod for old game versions or do I need to do it manually (following Leonardos BWP maybe? )

#5262 Arm-chair

Arm-chair
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:21 AM

Well, I suppose why not? BWS is just install tool, so you can use actual version or even a bit older one.

Hi all

I have been gone for a long time and wanted to ask quick question.
Is normal BGT updated for BWS - because I saw some drama and that a lot of people that were working with BWS left. I wanted to know if I can use BWS to install a megamod for old game versions or do I need to do it manually (following Leonardos BWP maybe? )

#5263 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:05 PM

Hello Old Friends,

I am having this problem in the video below with BWS:

Any help would be appreciated.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5264 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:07 PM

My guess ... your first EET install ?

You need the "Modmerger tool" to install mods into your BG1EE game.. as the EET uses that to then convert all those things to the BG2EE.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5265 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:52 PM

Yes, my first EET install.  :)   When I have it worked out I plan on making an install guide video so I thank all of you for your help & you will be helping others too. I think I have followed directions correctly. I see the new sod-dlc folder & other files as seen below.   I did note that when the Modmerger tool was running it didn't see sod-dlc.key (see video) but there now is one in the folder.  Is that a problem?  I am still getting what I think is the same problem in earlier video.

Video:

cp5gnrcaz89f2i2zg.jpg

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5266 Psykotik

Psykotik
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:23 AM

Why don't you use EE Mod Setup Tool? It takes care of installing everything you need. Should you want to add any mod, it has never been so easy.

It's dedicated to installing EET:

https://github.com/E...up/EE-Mod-Setup

#5267 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:59 PM

Because I don't know about it?  That is was an install program.  I will check it out, thanks.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5268 Jenavee

Jenavee

Little Fire Kitten

• 178 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:31 AM

Because I don't know about it?  That is was an install program.  I will check it out, thanks.

I wouldn't waste time on that, personally - it's a ripoff of BiG World Setup, made by someone who rage-quit to make their own Thing when no one wanted to drop support for the original games *and* EET in favour of supporting *only* EET.

Edited by Jenavee, 07 November 2018 - 09:37 AM.

Join us on the Baldur's Gate Discord @ https://discord.gg/Rp7Cu5k

c2oJYXg.gif

#5269 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:28 AM

I hear you Jenavee, but EE Mod Setup tool has many more mod options than BWS.  I have not been following recent history in the BG Mod world, but I know of it of old.

Now I have another problem.  I am getting lines or really squares as seen in the video below:

https://youtu.be/ys8hFiPCTJc

What mod is causing this?

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5270 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

What mod is causing this?
If you don't --change-log the file, we can't say. And it's "which", not "what"...
But I'll give you the general descrioption for what: see-
The reason for the lines is that the EE engine utilizes a new file type to be able to zoom in, among other things, and the change was made via the old type of file. Usually, most mods for EE, have their own updated version for this reason... meaning that unlike Jenavee says, there's a good reason to support EE only versions of mods... unless the mod maker wants to do the extra effort of co-creating mods for both file types and bloat their mod arhives with useless data and commands they might not entirely understand or care for... just cause there's users that haven't converted to the new engine, yet.
Yes, weidu today has handle-media -commands that do this to both non- and with-EE that need their own files, but there's also animations, item icons etc that too add to this bloating.

Edited by The Imp, 07 November 2018 - 11:35 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#5271 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:47 AM

Thank ALIEN!  I see that it is early in the install process so I will reinstall!  And good info Imp!

I am going to make a new set of install guide videos.  I will include a warning about this.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5272 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:01 PM

I would Really Love one last update for BWS for Classic BGT!  I would then include it in the Install Guide videos partly as a comparison between mods for Classic BGT & EET (right now really looks like BWP is the way & maybe too much for most players).

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5273 Niewiem

Niewiem
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:35 PM

Chev you need to wait a little bit :)
check this link from Alien
https://forums.beamd...ers-and-players

It's time to release "Project Infinity" ALPHA version smile.png Note to BWS users: at this time, there is no point to use this app.

Features:
- should run wink.png
- should work with ANY game version
- being able to check for new version, display info and button to update
- being able to scan extracted mods folder and display weidu mods and their components
- being able to display weidu mod version
- being able to copy all selected mods into selected game folder
- being able to install all selected mods using own-defined install order
- being able to uninstall all mods from selected game
- being able to create simple logs of mod directories, duplicated tp2 files
- being able to sort all selected mods using own-defined install order, loaded from file

It is early alpha but Alien is working on a better tool than BWS :)

#5274 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:42 AM

A better tool would be great!

I have been around the BG modding world as long as it has existed.  Just because someone is working on something does not mean it will get completed or what the time frame will be.   So if a working, not necessarily final, version will be out in 2 or 3 days sure! or even 2 or 3 weeks.  Much longer, which means things can come up in the mean time & the project never completed.   Now this alpha version looks from the post to be something for people to test, not ready for general public use.  I would like to make, have made but not released & need to remake them, Install Guide videos.  I have learned not to push modders or tool builders for completion dates, now if they volunteer them that is great!

I very much want to be able to show why people might want to chose between BGT & EET versions to play.  I have got EE Mod Setup Tool working, something better would be great, and can recommend it & show how to use it.  So if the time to update the mod list for BWS is longer then when a Beta version of Project Infinity will be released then sure I am happy to wait.

To Be Clear this is not anything about Alien, but what has been my experience with modding.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5275 Niewiem

Niewiem
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:35 AM

I think that the problem is:
a) Alien is developing new tool but it will take some time before it will be 100% working :)
b) There is no one that updates list of BWS for classic games for a loooong time so it would also take a lot of time (and there is no one doing that)

So you can either
a) use old version
b) update list yourself
c) wait for new tool

#5276 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:02 AM

d) Use BG classic version and go for BWP.

Edited by Sergio, 15 November 2018 - 01:03 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#5277 Niewiem

Niewiem
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:07 AM

I would Really Love one last update for BWS for Classic BGT!

yeeeeeeeaaaaah - like this discussion was not about classic versions :P- installing with tool is a lot easier than doing BWP especially if you want to edit what you want to install :)

#5278 Chippy

Chippy
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:12 AM

Hi folks,

I recently tried a mega-mod with the Big World Picture and utterly failed (I only got as far as it unpacking all mods into its own download folder) and was pointed towards this mod here:  https://github.com/B...p/BigWorldSetup

The thing is I'd prefer to do a non-EE setup. I was hoping the BWS worked with the original CD version, but on setting the install path, it doesn't recognise the file structure. Is there an older version I can use? As it seems this version may be exculsively for the EE's?.

Many thanks for your work

#5279 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

DELETED

Edited by Sergio, 21 January 2019 - 04:14 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#5280 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:48 PM

WARNING

DO NOT USE BWS

IT IS NOW OUTDATED AND NOT SUPPORTED ANYMORE

IF YOU GOT BALDUR'S GATE TRILOGY, YOU HAVE A WORKING ALTERNATIVE, BWP

Hah, rather, the exact details depend on which exact mods you want to combine into a game. You want to use the latest and most broken mods in the index, of course you run into problems. But there are other more established mods that will work better and without any problems. And no nee to manually do a darn thing.