bgee sod bg2ee golems iwdee

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

I can't say much without seeing the error message. Can you attach the file SETUP-A7-GOLEMCONSTRUCTION.DEBUG for inspection (or post the content in a spoiler block)?

Of course. This is the .DEBUG file on my clean install. I installed the mod successfully on it, ran modmerge, and retried installing the mod. It's the same error as the one I got when I tried on my main install with other mods on them. I don't know why that's the case since it seems to be working for other people.

Hmm, the mod chokes on a script action that is available in SoD, but not in pure BG1EE installations. However, the file with the script action isn't installed in a pure BG1EE installation, which suggests that either modmerge wasn't successful or another mod or mod leftovers interfered somehow.

Did you execute modmerge *before* installing any mods? Modmerge may fail if you don't have enough free disk space available. Also have you made certain that the override folder of the game was empty before installing any mods?

Edited by Argent77, 01 December 2017 - 03:48 PM.

#82 Kurigohan&Kamehameha

Kurigohan&Kamehameha
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

I can't say much without seeing the error message. Can you attach the file SETUP-A7-GOLEMCONSTRUCTION.DEBUG for inspection (or post the content in a spoiler block)?

Of course. This is the .DEBUG file on my clean install. I installed the mod successfully on it, ran modmerge, and retried installing the mod. It's the same error as the one I got when I tried on my main install with other mods on them. I don't know why that's the case since it seems to be working for other people.

Hmm, the mod chokes on a script action that is available in SoD, but not in pure BG1EE installations. However, the file with the script action isn't installed in a pure BG1EE installation, which suggests that either modmerge wasn't successful or another mod or mod leftovers interfered somehow.

Did you execute modmerge *before* installing any mods? Modmerge may fail if you don't have enough free disk space available. Also have you made certain that the override folder of the game was empty before installing any mods?

I tried again on another fresh install just to be sure. This is exactly what I did: install the game, move modmerge.exe to the install folder, run it, type 'y', wait for it to finish (it shows a bunch of dots, makes some obvious changes in the folder and auto-closes, not sure if that's okay or not), move the mod files to the install folder, run, press 'y' for everything. I got the same error, though. I'm not running the latest version, but it's well past 2.0. Could that be causing an issue?

Edited by Kurigohan&Kamehameha, 01 December 2017 - 05:01 PM.

#83 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:52 AM

After completing modmerge, but before installing any mods, could you run Near Infinity and check for the existence of a certain script action?

To do this, open the file ACTION.IDS and search for the text "AddXPWorthOnce" (without the quotes). There should be a match in a successfully modmerged game. If it's not present, then I'd like to know the source location of the file. It is displayed in the status bar of Near Infinity at the bottom, and can be the file itself or a bif file.

Another question, what version does the game screen show when you start the modmerged game?

#84 Kurigohan&Kamehameha

Kurigohan&Kamehameha
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:30 AM

After completing modmerge, but before installing any mods, could you run Near Infinity and check for the existence of a certain script action?

To do this, open the file ACTION.IDS and search for the text "AddXPWorthOnce" (without the quotes). There should be a match in a successfully modmerged game. If it's not present, then I'd like to know the source location of the file. It is displayed in the status bar of Near Infinity at the bottom, and can be the file itself or a bif file.

Another question, what version does the game screen show when you start the modmerged game?

There's no AddXPWorthOnce text; the closest thing is "AddXPWorth(O:Object*). Does that mean modmerge wasn't successful? My other mods work (installed and shows up in-game), it's just this one and one other that doesn't. The Action.IDS file is in my override folder. My game version is v2.0.62.2.

#85 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:26 PM

Your game version is quite old. I would strongly recommend to update the game to the latest patch version (currently v2.3.67.3) before doing any modding. Later patches have fixed countless bugs and added features some mods might expect. I can't help more, since I don't have access to the old game versions.

Also make sure to have an empty override folder before starting to install mods. Files in this folder will override data extracted by modmerge and may cause all kinds of trouble, such as installation errors or difficult to track side effects.

#86 Kurigohan&Kamehameha

Kurigohan&Kamehameha
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:39 PM

Your game version is quite old. I would strongly recommend to update the game to the latest patch version (currently v2.3.67.3) before doing any modding. Later patches have fixed countless bugs and added features some mods might expect. I can't help more, since I don't have access to the old game versions.

Also make sure to have an empty override folder before starting to install mods. Files in this folder will override data extracted by modmerge and may cause all kinds of trouble, such as installation errors or difficult to track side effects.

Out of curiosity, what's the quickest way I can test if the mod works? I'm pretty early game (level 2 party, just arrived in Nashkel). I tried editing in "9 AddXPWorthOnce(O:Object*)" to line 9 (after backing up ACTION.IDS) and it managed to install. It gave a fatal error about dialog.tlk (permission denied) after installing the teleport component, so I don't know if this will work. I also don't know if I can put what was on line 9 somewhere else in ACTION.IDS without breaking something. Either way though, it's interesting that that was the only thing preventing installation.

#87 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 03:02 AM

The quickest way to test the mod is by installing it. If it installs without errors it should at least work. Everything else that could happen during gameplay is situational. You'll encounter mod elements only much later in BG1.

Btw, you have to change the line to

384 AddXPWorthOnce(O:Object*,I:ClearStat*BOOLEAN)

to have any effect. It shares the same action id as AddXPWorth(O:Object*).

That fatal error should also never happen. But that's most likely a local issue on your side. It might be as harmless as a security tool blocking certain operations.

#88 Kurigohan&Kamehameha

Kurigohan&Kamehameha
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:44 AM

The quickest way to test the mod is by installing it. If it installs without errors it should at least work. Everything else that could happen during gameplay is situational. You'll encounter mod elements only much later in BG1.

Btw, you have to change the line to
384 AddXPWorthOnce(O:Object*,I:ClearStat*BOOLEAN)

to have any effect. It shares the same action id as AddXPWorth(O:Object*).

That fatal error should also never happen. But that's most likely a local issue on your side. It might be as harmless as a security tool blocking certain operations.

Okay, so should I replace AddXPWorth with that on line 384 and put back DropItem on line 9? I was under the impression that AddXPWorthOnce had to be on line 9 since that's where the program choked.

#89 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:47 AM

The number before AddXPWorthOnce() is part of the line you have to add to ACTION.IDS. It is the ID the game uses internally for the script action. Line number doesn't matter. You can add it anywhere into the file. The line number mentioned by the installation error referred to the script file of the mod where the error occurred.

#90 Kurigohan&Kamehameha

Kurigohan&Kamehameha
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:25 AM

The number before AddXPWorthOnce() is part of the line you have to add to ACTION.IDS. It is the ID the game uses internally for the script action. Line number doesn't matter. You can add it anywhere into the file. The line number mentioned by the installation error referred to the script file of the mod where the error occurred.

I think it should work now. Thank you so much for the help!

#91 konva

konva
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:42 AM

Hello, I have found doll golem manual.. in sirine cave(classic lighthouse area) but my mage cant use it. He has to be necromancer?

#92 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

Hello, I have found doll golem manual.. in sirine cave(classic lighthouse area) but my mage cant use it. He has to be necromancer?

Your party members are still too inexperienced to contruct golems by themselves in BG1. However, you can bring this book to one of the notorious necromancers in Baldur's Gate (Arkion or Nemphre). After doing a little errand for them they will build you golems for a fair price. You can find out more details in golem_information.txt, found in the readme folder of the mod.

#93 -ghost-

-ghost-

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

I'm assuming this would be impossible to get working on BGT right?

#94 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

I'm assuming this would be impossible to get working on BGT right?

Yes, unfortunately. The mod depends on some features that are not available in classic BG2 (not even with TobEx).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bgee, sod, bg2ee, golems, iwdee