GUI maker needed for BGT-WeiDU

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#21 Cantrip

Cantrip

the Scholar

• 325 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:56 AM

I've not much in terms of skill, but I found these for you...
Hope you don't mind... ;)

Attached Images

• mueller_twistedtower.jpg
  • mueller_elminster.jpg

"A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

Some great webcomics:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php
http://www.giantitp..../ootscript?SK=1

#22 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:38 AM

I would be wary of 'borrowing' copyrighted material from other places in case it decides to slap you back. As much as I like that card art (is that like a Beta edition mountain or something for that second picture of yours?), I would rather stick with something that is a little 'safer' to use. Also, would Elm look that artificial in the final picture after processing?

I was actually thinking that this GUI be a totally separate mod in itself, Yacomo. What do you think?

Your piccies are quite nice, Cantrip, but to me they look a little barren, if you know what I mean.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#23 Cantrip

Cantrip

the Scholar

• 325 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:56 AM

Well, just in case you wish to use them, they came from here:
http://www.candlekee.../gallery_12.htm

The artist's mail is on the page.

Oh, and on a sidenote, the second picture is Elminster's Tower, so it seems fitting for him... Posted Image
"A hot iron, though blunt, will pierce sooner than a cold one, though sharper."

Some great webcomics:
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/
http://www.nuklearpower.com/latest.php
http://www.giantitp..../ootscript?SK=1

#24 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:59 AM

Is this anything like what you meant about the buttons, Yacomo? Here they're the ones I from my first image used as a bump-map for the background. Is the text a picture you found, or does it come from a font you have? It looks really nice but it might be better if it could be resized without getting too blurry. Ive not done much here except stretch the background, but I was wondering if anyone but me likes the canvas effect (or others, like cloth/oils/etc.). I think they look cool but I can see that a lot of people might not.

Oh, and on a sidenote, the second picture is Elminster's Tower, so it seems fitting for him...

Yeah, I did like that one.

Edit: Also, I've been playing with text in the Gimp, trying to get a 3D look; what do you think of the text style in the second image?

Attached Images

• menu2.jpg
  • text.jpg

Edited by Waywocket, 22 March 2005 - 04:17 AM.

#25 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:05 AM

I would be wary of 'borrowing' copyrighted material from other places in case it decides to slap you back.  As much as I like that card art (is that like a Beta edition mountain or something for that second picture of yours?), I would rather stick with something that is a little 'safer' to use.  Also, would Elm look that artificial in the final picture after processing?

View Post

Me too - already abondened that idea :whistling:

And no, Elm will of course not look that artificial, rough scetches as I said, will post something a little bit more elaborate in a couple of minutes.

I was actually thinking that this GUI be a totally separate mod in itself, Yacomo.  What do you think?

View Post

The BGT-Menu mod? Well honestly I do not think a lot of people would be interested in a mod consisting only of a couple of images, at least not until we really do a complete GUI overhaul. I'd prefer this being an optional component for BGT. It won't take up a lot of space, will use mospack to shrink it. And you won't have much to do, I'll give you all the tp2 you need ;)

* EDIT * Cantrip: I like those images, they simply do not seem to fit here (to me that is) :crying: but I have saved the URL in case I get to make the loading screens for the map mod one day.

Edited by Yacomo, 22 March 2005 - 04:07 AM.

#26 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:28 AM

Maybe we should change the credits screen as well in order to give KD a really bloody massacre B)

* EDIT * Special delivery for KD  B)

View Post

YES YES YES YES !!!!!! :D

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#27 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:34 AM

So, these are my latest variants, still not perfect, but they should give a better impression:

#28 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:42 AM

So, these are my latest variants, still not perfect, but they should give a better impression:

View Post

I see what you mean with the scroll background now. That looks great. The forest one looks better than I was expecting too.
Anyway, maybe I'm getting a little overenthusiastic, but here's one more offering, and another attempt at buttons that use the original image (unpressed and pressed).

Attached Images

• sea.jpg
  • up.jpg
  • down.jpg

#29 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:43 AM

Is this anything like what you meant about the  buttons, Yacomo? Here they're the ones I from my first image used as a bump-map for the background. Is the text a picture you found, or does it come from a font you have? It looks really nice but it might be better if it could be resized without getting too blurry. Ive not done much here except stretch the background, but I was wondering if anyone but me likes the canvas effect (or others, like cloth/oils/etc.). I think they look cool but I can see that a lot of people might not.

That button effect is EXACTLY what I had in mind - good job :thumb:

As you can see in my last post, I really like the canvas effect, but I may be in a minority.
What effect did you use for the background? Looks like oil, if the answer is 'none' however, then I must say that a 'blurry' source sometimes leads to really cool results ;)

As for the text: Yes it is an image I found on a german fan-page, so we cannot resize it easily. I think however that the size is almost perfect.

Edit: Also, I've been playing with text in the Gimp, trying to get a 3D look; what do you think of the text style in the second image?

View Post

As much as I like your work, this is something I do not like :(

Concluding: I surrender to your ideas, think your composition is almost perfect, I would however suggest to take the scroll and label from my last screens. I'll post them separately in a couple of minutes.

#30 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:49 AM

View Post

I see what you mean with the scroll background now. That looks great. The forest one looks better than I was expecting too.
Anyway, maybe I'm getting a little overenthusiastic, but here's one more offering, and another attempt at buttons that use the original image (unpressed and pressed).

View Post

You are posting too fast :lol: I was already going to surrender and now you are making me reconsider again :P

* EDIT * I think the first buttons were way better B)

* EDIT 2 * Added original version of label as attachment

Anyway, here is the label, give it a try:

Edited by Yacomo, 22 March 2005 - 06:14 AM.

#31 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:49 AM

Way, sorry to do this to you, but I think I have finally found the ultimate background, so I couldn't resist:

* EDIT * I would love to see how these would look like with your buttons :blush:

Edited by Yacomo, 22 March 2005 - 07:50 AM.

#32 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:55 AM

Way, sorry to do this to you, but I think I have finally found the ultimate background, so I couldn't resist:

* EDIT * I would love to see how these would look like with your buttons :blush:

View Post

I'll have a go at those now then (I figured you might want a different background so I think I've worked out a process for making the buttons that shouldn't take long at all :). They may look the same but now they're multi-layered). Anyway, this is what I've got. I'm still having some problems around Elminster's pipe, but I don't really want to have to blur it and it's not all that bad. I've distressed the edges as well so that there isn't a sudden sharp transition from the surrounding when running in higher resolutions.

Attached Images

• sample.jpg

#33 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:03 AM

I'll have a go at those now then (I figured you might want a different background so I think I've worked out a process for making the buttons that shouldn't take long at all :). They may look the same but now they're multi-layered). Anyway, this is what I've got. I'm still having some problems around Elminster's pipe, but I don't really want to have to blur it and it's not all that bad. I've distressed the edges as well so that there isn't a sudden sharp transition from the surrounding when running in higher resolutions.

View Post

Oh yes please, can't wait to see it :w00t:

In case you want to reassemble yourself, this is the background:

#34 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:05 AM

I would make a BG banner (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) without a cloth facture....

(last update: 02-12-2008)
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#35 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:16 AM

I would make a BG banner (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) without a cloth facture....

View Post

Like this?

#36 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:29 AM

And yet another slight variation adding a drop shadow to the label:

#37 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:39 AM

View Post

Along the same lines, how about this one?

Attached Images

• forestmenu.jpg

#38 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:42 AM

View Post

Along the same lines, how about this one?

View Post

I' d say VERY close - still not sure about the canvas effect. I would at least tone it down to 2. Maybe leave it out for Elminster or leave it out alltogether, really can't make up my mind here :blink:

#39 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:53 AM

I' d say VERY close - still not sure about the canvas effect. I would at least tone it down to 2. Maybe leave it out for Elminster or leave it out alltogether, really can't make up my mind here :blink:

View Post

Yeah, I was thinking something like that, but it just doesn't look quite right as a photograph. Maybe one of the paint effects, or some blurring even, but there's still something a bit wrong...

Edit: Here it is without anything done to it.

Attached Images

• forestmenu2.jpg

Edited by Waywocket, 22 March 2005 - 09:05 AM.

#40 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

So when do I bust your bubble about the fact that Elminster doesn't use a sword? He did when he was a thief, though I doubt it was a large broadsword like that one. The books all mention his staff (and his pipe usually floats around his head, he never has to carry it). Read Ed Greenwood's Elminster series for some ideas.

Otherwise, all the pics look great to me. A really nice change from the standard images of the game.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website