Photo

Older versions archive part 3: Items

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#21 Longinus

Longinus
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 07:13 AM

About your rogue shop in the main Shadow Thief guild, could you make it harder or impossible to steal from the thieves? It seems kind of ironic that you can steal from the guild shop and yet sell back the very stuff you've just stolen. Plus, thieves would notice.
"If you remember me, then you must also remember what you did!"

~ Edge, Panzer Dragoon Saga

#22 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 16 March 2003 - 09:26 AM

Do you intend to use the Studded Leather +4: Shadowed?

No, not in this encounter.

The BG1 icon for this sword was replaced with a standard magical long sword icon. Could you change it back, or is that impossible?

I believe that the old .BAM file for this sword is not present in BG2. However, I could always manually extract it from BG1.

...could you make it harder or impossible to steal from the thieves?

This was the first thing which I changed when was designing the new shop :D

#23 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 01:43 PM

could you by chance port the salesperson into ToB? (summoning into the Pocket Plane... Saradush/Amkethran.... North Forest....
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#24 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 02:16 PM

Nope, sorry she is a member of the Shadow Thief guild and thus can only be found in SoA. You might be able to acces her store by summoning her via CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("BMTHIEF")

Just FYI, the items listed in the first post are not available in her store. They are wielded by my party of Cyric's Chosen.

#25 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 11:58 AM

All the items sound very nice indeed, but don't you think it's an awful lot of kit to get for a single fight?
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#26 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 12:11 PM

I disagree since the battle is so damn hard.
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#27 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 April 2003 - 04:08 PM

All the items sound very nice indeed, but don't you think it's an awful lot of kit to get for a single fight?

Perhaps you are right, but the items are all equipped and actively used by the opponents which you are facing in the encounter.
Generally speaking, what I wanted was to create a realistic encounter with a high level NPC party, pretty close in stats, weapons and power to the Player's own party, in order to provide a greater challenge.

#28 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:00 AM

Here are some suggestions on the equipment dropped in the encounter:

Boots of the Fox: make it useble only by Rangers and Barbarians, and in this case alter its desription a bit.

Stormcharged Axe: make the lightning damage bonus harder, for example 1D6

Rogue's Cowl: definetly drop the bonus to AC, it doesn't make any sense. The spell bonuses are quite powerful already. Besides, I've found that the Power Word: Blind abilty isn't usable 1x/day. It has 20 charges, and can be cast several times a day.

The Dark Mystery: give this item more negative effects. I won't spoil the existing ones, but they could be boosted by some minor negative sideeffects.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#29 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 18 April 2003 - 01:40 AM

I'd rather not change the stats of the IWD imported items, and as for the Dark Mystery, perhaps but only if it proves to be too powerful. Only detailed playtesting can tell.

Rogue's Cowl: definetly drop the bonus to AC, it doesn't make any sense. The spell bonuses are quite powerful already. Besides, I've found that the Power Word: Blind abilty isn't usable 1x/day. It has 20 charges, and can be cast several times a day.

It works fine in my game. Perhaps you accidently changed something since you have apparently edited my characters and/or their equipment (BTW I highly advise against this).

#30 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 08:22 AM

I see your point by advising against editing your .cre-s and .itm-s. It is one of my bad habits, and I edit almost EVERYTHING I put my hands on. And since my party was a bit too powerful against the Chosens of Cyric, I altered the opposing party.
About the items: I found them a bit too much. I know, the party carries way more equipment compared to them, but it was a little bit odd to me - I think after 12 walkthrough on this amazing game I got used to the BG2 style "enemies only drop one-or-two items" effect too much.. :unsure: Anyway, don't change them if you see them fit the quest, it is your mod after all ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

#31 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 09:35 AM

Actually, the main purpose of the Chosen of Cyric component was to provide more useful roguish items, since there were so few in the original BG2. For that reason I imported most items which seamed useful from IWD1 but at the same time I tried not to disrupt the game balance too much, so there is only one weapon above the +3 enchantment. I preserved the original IWD item stats wherever it was possible, but I did make a couple of enhancements which are marked in the first post of this thread ^

About the BG2 reduced drops - I absolutely hated that, it simply made no sense to me. IMO, opponents should only use items which they drop and vice versa.

#32 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 03:29 AM

You know, those "item-dropping-restrictions" in BG2 and ToB were used because of 2 reasons: money, and game balance. The first: if every opponent you've managed to slaughter (hundreds of them, which is a bit of irreal as well, but hey.. this is only a game after all) would drop their items, you would collect more than 100.000 Golg in the early part of chapter 3. (Remember, Bodhi's and the Shadow Thieves's offer should count as an expensive one, and they only cost 15.000-20.000!) The next reason (game balance) is about the powerful items, that many stronger opponents wield as "non-droppable". If you would get them earlier in the game, it would kill much fun later (example: Kangaxx, the Demi-Lich is only beatable by +4 or higher enchantments, and such weapons cannot be found before the Underdar in the original game. This is one thing, which I hate about the new mods and their balance-level - they totally forgot things like these when adding a powerful +4, or +5 weapon in the first part of the game).

Your items are quite well balanced however (I used many of them in IWD :D ), so this problem is solved. It was only a bit odd, that there are opponents in this game that drop ALL of their equipments.. :)
Posted Image

#33 Nukenin

Nukenin
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:24 AM

[...]The next reason (game balance) is about the powerful items, that many stronger opponents wield as "non-droppable". If you would get them earlier in the game, it would kill much fun later (example: Kangaxx, the Demi-Lich is only beatable by +4 or higher enchantments, and such weapons cannot be found before the Underdar in the original game.[...]

Staff of Rynn +4 (Adventure Mart)
Mace of Disruption +2 (Bodhi's Lair, ch. 3, + illithium)
Flame Tongue (Druid Grove, Trademeet quest)
War Hammer +1, +4 vs Giantkin (de'Arnise Keep)
Carsomyr +5 (Windspear Hills)
Staff of the Magi (Twisted Rune)

All the above have +4 or +5 enchantment, and are obtainable before the Underdark, even in the original game.

#34 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 04:55 AM

T.G. Maestro wrote:

You know, those "item-dropping-restrictions" in BG2 and ToB were used because of 2 reasons: money, and game balance.

Hmm, yes I suppose that makes some sense, but it still seams unreal to me. Then again, AD&D at such high levels as in BG2/ToB is rather silly per se :P

If you would get them earlier in the game, it would kill much fun later (example: Kangaxx, the Demi-Lich is only beatable by +4 or higher enchantments, and such weapons cannot be found before the Underdar in the original game.

Well, there are several +4 items that can be acquired as early as Chapter 2 as Nukenin nicely pointed out, but some of them might be unintentionally marked as such.

This is one thing, which I hate about the new mods and their balance-level - they totally forgot things like these when adding a powerful +4, or +5 weapon in the first part of the game).

Well I tried to keep the items at relatively low power levels, but still make them useful at the same time. The items ported from IWD1 are unchanged for the most part. I replaced the generic descriptions with my own (hopefully they don't sound weird :)) on a few items and tweaked one or two abilities but that's about it. And seeing as how the Chosen encounter takes place in CH6 the items should not upset the game balance too much.

Your items are quite well balanced however (I used many of them in IWD  ), so this problem is solved. It was only a bit odd, that there are opponents in this game that drop ALL of their equipments.. 

Thanks! I tried to pick some of the most interesting and useful items which I myself liked in IWD (preferring roguish items of course). Hopefully, the other rogue players will like them as well.

#35 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 02:39 PM

"Staff of Rynn +4 (Adventure Mart)
Mace of Disruption +2 (Bodhi's Lair, ch. 3, + illithium)
Flame Tongue (Druid Grove, Trademeet quest)
War Hammer +1, +4 vs Giantkin (de'Arnise Keep)
Carsomyr +5 (Windspear Hills)
Staff of the Magi (Twisted Rune)

All the above have +4 or +5 enchantment, and are obtainable before the Underdark, even in the original game. "
-Yes, I know, and this wasn't my real point. I was trying to say, that there aren't many USEFUL items, that can possibly used against Kangaxx (normally). And if you play with the Improved versions of the Demi-Lich, than it is doubly so)
1.:Staff of Rynn (virtually useless against him)
2.:Mace of Disruption (very usable, but disabled in the latest versions against Kangaxx)
3.:Flame Tongue (ineffective)
4.:War Hammer vs. Giantkin (ineffective)
5.:Carsomyr (godlike, useful against every opponent, but PALADIN-ONLY!)
6.:Staff of the Magi (I would like to see if you just beat that old Lich to death by using this weapon... :lol: )
So I say there are very few items that are useful against high-level or special opponents. And this balance was often destroyed by newbie mods and a bunch of +4/+5 weapons (Freedom's Reign comes in mind).

And here are some suggestions on items:

-The price of the Buckler +3 should be a bit higher. Do not forget, it offers an AC bonus of 4! Very few shields offer that great Ac bonus in the early part of the game.
-The Rogue's Ward buckler should be weakened a little bit. My suggestion is to drop the Death Ward effect (TOO POWERFUL!), instead give a bonus of 4 to save vs. death, and increase the bonus of save vs. spell to 2. The Mislead ability doesn't needs to be cast twice/day, 1 charge per day is highly enough (take a look at the most charged items- almost every one of them has 1/day, and this has merit!). Everything else should be as it is, but the price could be lowered a bit (90%).
-Kiel's Buckler: its base price should be set around 3500 Gold
-The Guardian: for a bit higher price you could give the summoned Shambling Mound better weapons, for example use the one that they use in ToB, or create a similar weapon! (4D8 damage+STR bonus, +3Enchanted, save vs. spells or become entangled for 18 seconds.)
-As I suggested in the other topic, reduce the effectivity of Spelldiver somewhat. Either lower its chance of success to 25%, or reduce the Miscast M's duration to 1 round)
Posted Image

#36 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 05:29 PM

There is a small spelling error in the description of Silent Death:

"...Only rogues of exceptional skill and cunning may attempt to wiled this blade."
-wiled -----> wield.
Posted Image

#37 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 11:34 PM

T.G. Maestro wrote:

Flame Tongue (ineffective)
War Hammer vs. Giantkin (ineffective)

Nope, they work just fine against Kangaxx since they are actually marked as +4 weapons (try them you'll see) although this might be an error as I noted above.

The price of the Buckler +3 should be a bit higher. Do not forget, it offers an AC bonus of 4! Very few shields offer that great Ac bonus in the early part of the game.

Agreed, it will be done in the next revision.

The Rogue's Ward buckler should be weakened a little bit. My suggestion is to drop the Death Ward effect (TOO POWERFUL!), instead give a bonus of 4 to save vs. death, and increase the bonus of save vs. spell to 2. The Mislead ability doesn't needs to be cast twice/day, 1 charge per day is highly enough (take a look at the most charged items- almost every one of them has 1/day, and this has merit!).

I have to admit that I'm quite fond of the Death Ward effect :) But you are probably right, it should not be as powerful as it is right now. Instead of being permanent, I could make it a 3x per day effect. BTW, I will reduce the Mislead castings to once per day.

Kiel's Buckler: its base price should be set around 3500 Gold

I believe that the prices for all of the restored BG1 items were unchanged, (they are exactly what they were in BG1).

The Guardian: for a bit higher price you could give the summoned Shambling Mound better weapons, for example use the one that they use in ToB, or create a similar weapon! (4D8 damage+STR bonus, +3Enchanted, save vs. spells or become entangled for 18 seconds.)

While I could create a true Shambling Mound to be summoned (high attributes, damage and physical resistances...) I'm not sure how good this would be for an item that can be acquired very early and easily. Instead I'll change the item description to 'Lesser Shambler' and I could also add a better Shambler for high level Druids (15+). The current version of the Shambler is the one from the Staff of Woodlands BTW.

As I suggested in the other topic, reduce the effectivity of Spelldiver somewhat. Either lower its chance of success to 25%, or reduce the Miscast M's duration to 1 round

Heh, this sword worked pretty nice in IWD, but I think it won't be too much of a problem for BG2/ToB since so many mages there use PfMW or similar spells and the sword is only of +2 enchantment. If it does prove too powerful in actual playtesting (try taking it through CH6+ToB) I might change some of the parameters (25% Miscast sounds ok) as I noted in the other thread.

There is a small spelling error in the description of Silent Death

Noted, and thanks for the report!

#38 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 01:50 AM

"they work just fine against Kangaxx since they are actually marked as +4 weapons "
-Now that IS a bug. They shouldn't.

" I could also add a better Shambler for high level Druids "
-Good idea, do it if you have the time! ;)
Posted Image

#39 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 04:01 AM

Some other spelling errors and suggestions:

-Stormcharged Axe: a little error in the spelling: "...had to retreated..." ---> had to retreat

-Silent Death (balancing issues): this short sword is pretty nice, but there are several points where it could be weakened a little bit:
1.: the ssave vs. spells at the 'silence' effect should have a modifier of -4 instead of -5, and have a duration of 30 seconds. It is enough, not to mention that each attack from this blade can do this effect (95%)
2.: the poison effect should have a duration of 6 seconds (as it is in the description, instead it lasts 10 seconds). This is vital, because 6 seconds is one round and so it has little chance of disrupting the any spell cast in the next round, but the 10 sec. duration will disrupt the next casting very often. Better reduce it to 6 or 5 seconds.
3.: the saving throw vs. the finger of Death effect should be a save vs. death (-2), not save vs. spells.
Posted Image

#40 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 24 April 2003 - 06:56 AM

The Rogue's Cowl is usable by Monks. I don't know if this was intended this way, but I guess the desription states it is only usable by Thieves and Bards. A small bug.
Posted Image