Photo

Ultimate Planescape: Torment installation guide

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#201 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

PS:T is in a folder in C: that I made because on Win7 Program Files can act a fool. The folder is simply called Torment. So when I extract the fix pack it shows that it is going into Torment/Planescape Torment. Is that not the main directory?
The game directory is the one with a lot of the .bif files and the "Torment.exe" file is located.
Mine for example is; C:\Pelit\PST -directory.

Alright, mine is C;\Torment\PST. It is loaded with .bif files and has the Torment.exe file in it. I pasted the fixpack folder into it, clicked on the setup exe again and same issue. Still telling me to run the setup in my infinity engine and can not find dialogue.tlk.

#202 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Alright, mine is C;\Torment\PST. It is loaded with .bif files and has the Torment.exe file in it. I pasted the fixpack folder into it, clicked on the setup exe again and same issue. Still telling me to run the setup in my infinity engine and can not find dialogue.tlk .
Must ask, did you make a full install of the PST game ?

And a play with words...about the extracted files ... Does the C:\Torment\PST -folder now contain the "PST-Fix" folder, the "Setup-PST-Fixpack.tp2" and the "Setup-PST-Fixpack.exe" -files ? Hopefully the " ; " was a typo on your apart as that adress on my computer for example tries to open my default internet browser ... :devil:

Edited by The Imp, 03 July 2013 - 07:02 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#203 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Alright, mine is C;\Torment\PST. It is loaded with .bif files and has the Torment.exe file in it. I pasted the fixpack folder into it, clicked on the setup exe again and same issue. Still telling me to run the setup in my infinity engine and can not find dialogue.tlk .
Must ask, did you make a full install of the PST game ?

And a play with words...about the extracted files ... Does the C:\Torment\PST -folder now contain the "PST-Fix" folder, the "Setup-PST-Fixpack.tp2" and the "Setup-PST-Fixpack.exe" -files ? Hopefully the " ; " was a typo on your apart as that adress on my computer for example tries to open my default internet browser ... :devil:

Yes, I made a full install from the GOG installer and my C:\Torment\PST does in fact contain the PST-Fix folder, the setup.tp2 and the setup.exe.

#204 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Bit of an update. I copied and pasted the fixpack files out of the fixpack folder and into the just the main directory as individual files. Now when I run the set up I get to choose my language but then it says can not install undefined string and there are no other options to proceed. So I then tried the inverse. I copied the dialogue.tlk file and placed it into my fixpack folder which again is located in C:\Torment\PST. However, it will not install in there either. I at least am asked if I want to install the ultimate fix pack but when I tell the program to install it simply says error and that is that. I'm at a loss currently for what to try next. 

#205 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Open the "torment.ini" file with Notepad and copy paste the whole file to a post...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#206 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Torment\Planescape Torment
CD1:=C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\data\
CD2:=C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\data\
CD3:=C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\data\
CD4:=C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\data\
CD5:=C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\data\

[Config]
CacheSize=1

[Movies]
BISLOGO=1
TSRLOGO=1
OPENING=1
SS_MSLAB=1
SIGIL=1

[Game Options]
Footsteps=1
Mouse Scroll Speed=50
GUI Feedback Level=5
Locator Feedback Level=3
Command Sounds Frequency=3
Selection Sounds Frequency=3
Bored Timeout=3000
Always Dither=0
Keyboard Scroll Speed=50
Effect Text Level=62
Attack Sounds=1
Auto Pause State=0
Difficulty Level=3
Quick Item Mapping=1
Always Run=0
Memory Access=100
Memory Level=1
Health Bar Settings=63
Subtitles=0
Environmental Audio=1
Sound Processing=1
Music Processing=1

[Program Options]
Tooltips=0
Sprite Mirror=1
Gamma Correction=0
Brightness Correction=0
Volume Movie=100
Volume Music=100
Volume Voices=100
Volume Ambients=100
Volume SFX=100
Strref On=0
Screen Position X=0
Screen Position Y=0
Full Screen=1
Path Search Nodes=32000
Maximum Frame Rate=40
Translucent Shadows=1
SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0
SoftBltFast=0
SoftSrcKeyBlt=0
SoftBlt=0
SoftMirrorBlt=0

#207 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

And then open the "Setup-PST-Fixpack.debug" file in the C:\Torment\Planescape Torment -folder with Notepad and post it...

PS: your game directory is;  C:\Torment\Planescape Torment  ... not C:\Torment\PST ...

Edited by The Imp, 04 July 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#208 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

I wrote PST as an abbreviavtion. What software would you recommend for opening the .debug file with?

#209 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

What software would you recommend for opening the .debug file with?

Notepad.

The file is a normal .txt file, sorta like the .ini files are... just coded to be recognizable.

Edited by The Imp, 04 July 2013 - 10:54 AM.

#210 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

WeiDU v 23100 Log

C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\Setup-PST-Fix.exe
[./CHITIN.KEY] loaded, 178949 bytes
[./CHITIN.KEY] 382 BIFFs, 12140 resources
[dialog.tlk] loaded, 8041168 bytes
[dialog.tlk] 106497 string entries
[./autonote.ini] loaded, 9994 bytes
[./beast.ini] loaded, 9985 bytes
[./Keymap.ini] loaded, 4438 bytes
[./layout.ini] loaded, 18 bytes
[./quests.ini] loaded, 33883 bytes
[./Torment.ini] loaded, 1228 bytes
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Torment\Planescape Torment]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\data\]
[./unins000.ini] loaded, 98 bytes
[dialogf.tlk] loaded, 8041168 bytes
[dialogf.tlk] 106497 string entries
[C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\Setup-PST-Fix.exe] Using scripting style "PST"
[dialog.tlk] claims to be writeable.
[dialog.tlk] claims to be a regular file.

Choose your language:
 0 [English]
 1 [German]
 2 [Spanish]
 3 [Italian]
 4 [Polish]
 5 [Russian]
 6 [French]
Using Language [English]
[English] has 3 top-level TRA files
DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2  0  1 Installed 
WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2  0  0 Installed 
SETUP-GHOSTDOG'S-PST-UI.TP2  0  0 Installed 
SETUP-GHOSTDOG'S-PST-UI.TP2  0  2 Installed 
ERROR: No translation provided for @-2000
Continuing despite error.

Installing [UNDEFINED STRING:   @-2000] [v4.13]
ERROR: No translation provided for @-2001
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [UNDEFINED STRING:   @-2000], rolling back to previous state
Unable to Unlink [PST-Fix/backup/100/OTHER.100]: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "PST-Fix/backup/100/OTHER.100")
[PST-Fix/backup/100/UNSETSTR.100] SET_STRING uninstall info not found
Will uninstall   0 files for [SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2] component 100.
Uninstalled      0 files for [SETUP-PST-FIX.TP2] component 100.
Unable to Unlink [PST-Fix/backup/100/READLN.100]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "PST-Fix/backup/100/READLN.100")
Unable to Unlink [PST-Fix/backup/100/READLN.100.TEXT]: Unix.Unix_error(20, "unlink", "PST-Fix/backup/100/READLN.100.TEXT")
ERROR: Not_found
PLEASE email the file SETUP-PST-FIX.DEBUG to pescalona@verizon.net
Using Language [English]
[English] has 3 top-level TRA files
ERROR: No translation provided for @1

Install Component [UNDEFINED STRING:   @1]?
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? 
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? 
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? ERROR: No translation provided for @2
ERROR: No translation provided for @4
Saving This Log:
[widescreen/tra/english/setup.tra] has 31 translation strings

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS UNDEFINED STRING:   @-2000

WeiDU Timings
adding translation strings       0.000
OUTER_INNER_PATCH                0.000
READ_*                           0.000
load TLK                         0.000
DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO               0.000
DEFINE_ACTION_MACRO              0.000
OUTER_INNER_PATCH_SAVE           0.000
parsing .tra files               0.000
OUTER_SET                        0.000
parsing .log files               0.000
INCLUDE                          0.000
DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION           0.000
DEFINE_PATCH_FUNCTION            0.000
eval_pe                          0.002
PRINT                            0.004
process_patch2                   0.006
unmarshal KEY                    0.022
tp2 uninstall                    0.024
Parsing TP2 files                0.048
loading files                    0.081
Parsing TPA files                0.081
unmarshal TLK                    0.286
stuff not covered elsewhere     76.396
TOTAL                           76.950

#211 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Go to the C:\Torment\Planescape Torment\PST-FIX\tra\english\ -folder and make sure there's 2 files, a "fixpack.tra" and the "subtitles.tra" ... if you can't either find the files or the folders even, then you have failed to extract the archive and you need to do so again... this might be the WinRAR's setups fault, as the archive has the files in the sub-folders. As in, if the WinRAR's advanced setting is set to not use file paths, it needs to be set back to the default, which is the "Extract relative paths".

Edited by The Imp, 04 July 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#212 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Both of those files are in their rightful folder.

#213 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:09 AM

Well, the "fixpack.tra" should contain the translation to the requested strings...

@-1000= "The %TP2_FILE_NAME% mod has"
@-1001= "distinct optional components.\nTo save time, you can choose what to do with them at a high level rather\nthan being asked about each one.\n"
@-1002= "What should be done with all components that are NOT YET installed?\n[I]nstall them, [S]kip them, [A]sk about each one? "
@-1003= "What should be done with all components that are ALREADY installed?\n[R]e-install them, [U]ninstall them, [S]kip them, [A]sk about each one? "
@-1004= "PLEASE email the file"
@-1005= "to"
@-1006= "Install ["
@-1007= "]?
[R]e-Install, [N]o Change or [U]ninstall or [Q]uit? "
@-1008= "]?
[I]nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? "
@-1009= "Enter part of a module name: "
@-1010= "Re-Installing ["
@-1011= "] component "
@-1012= "Re-Installing Using Language"
@-1013= "Removing old installation of ["
@-1014= "] first ..."
@-1015= "SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED OLD"
@-1016= "Installing"
@-1017= "ERROR Installing ["
@-1018= "], rolling back to previous state"
@-1019= "SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED"
@-1020= "Skipping "
@-1021= "Removing ["
@-1022= "] (component #"
@-1023= ")"
@-1024= "SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED ["
@-2000= "Readme Viewer"
@-2001= "Would you like to view the Readme? [Y]es or [N]o:"
@00001 = ~PS:T Ultimate WeiDU Fixpack, by Qwinn~ []
@00002 = ~Dialogue Spelling/Grammar Corrections (English Only)~ []
@00003 = ~Skipped because Language selected was not English~
@00004 = ~Subtitled Cutscenes~

And it continues a quite long time after..

#214 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

I'm going to delete the fixpack file from my Torment folder, then use a different extracting tool to see if there is a difference. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Different extractor tool did the trick. Fixpack installed correctly with zero issues. Big thanks to you, Mr. Imp. I appreciate your time and effort.

Edited by acthornt, 05 July 2013 - 08:04 AM.

#215 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Different extractor tool did the trick. Fixpack installed correctly with zero issues. Big thanks to you, Mr. Imp.

Good for you, and you are welcome... Now for the record, could you say what Extraction tool you used that failed ? And yes, the version number would be a good to specify if you can.

Edited by The Imp, 05 July 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#216 acthornt

acthornt
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

I originally used RarZilla, whatever the latest version is available. The tool I used next is called Open It! I honestly can not remember where I downloaded it, but I originally got it to unlock the Ghostdog mod.

#217 -ThunderSoul-

-ThunderSoul-

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

For anyone interested, I've put together a pretty comprehensive guide on installing Planescape: Torment with all the mods...

It's designed with a new player in mind (so no cheats, etc.) and it's pretty long! (It's quite a long job installing everything!). I've tried to research absolutely everything and get everything absolutely spot on.

I hope it's useful to someone! (Please send me any corrections!)

http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html

I'm constantly getting the error message "Your desktop is not set to 16-bit depth mode ..." and it is attempting to run it in window mode. Why?

#218 The Imp

The Imp

• 5148 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

I'm constantly getting the error message "Your desktop is not set to 16-bit depth mode ..." and it is attempting to run it in window mode. Why?
Erhm try first install the game to non-Programs Files folder, or your language translation to that fact... so install to; C:\Games\Torment\ ... for example, then run the Config.exe in the game folder, and of course you wish to use the full screen mode.

The reason for your difficulties is that the game configuration files cannot actually edit the correct file... the reason for that is the Windows Program Files folder's content being mirrored to a more "modern" profile folder ... but the games made pre-2008 all ignore those, as there was no need to check things in there.

#219 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Erhm try first install the game to non-Programs Files folder, or your language translation to that fact... so install to; C:\Games\Torment\ ... for example, then run the Config.exe in the game folder, and of course you wish to use the full screen mode.

AFAIK there is no Config.exe in PST (at least in my version of the game).

As The Imp already mentioned, re-install the game outside of "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)". If that isn't the cause of the problem, then you have to modify the torment.ini to manually switch the game to fullscreen. Open the file "torment.ini" in a text editor, look for the entry "Full Screen=0" and set it to 1. If there is no such entry, then add "Full Screen=1" (without the quotes) under "[Program Options]".

#220 -Xenois-

-Xenois-

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hi

first of all thank you :)

Just wanna ask, can i change the resolution in Planescape after i did all the Steps ?