• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#121 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

Fond though I am of PnP yugoloths, I'm not sure that this major chunk of work is worthwhile just for the sake of sorting out neutral spellcasters. If the PC wants to summon both Baatezu and Tanar'ri, that's their funeral; the AI won't do it in SCS and I don't think it will cause serious problems to the vanilla AI either.

Has this been changed then? (quoted from aVENGER's Gate description above):

If the caster is neither lawful nor chaotic aligned, either one of the aforementioned Fiends may appear (50% chance each). In any case, the spellcaster has no control over the actions of the summoned Fiend.

If it's true, it gives lawful and chaotic casters an advantage over neutral ones, in that they can summon multiple fiends without there being a chance of infighting. I'm not sure if that's what Loz was getting at, but it sounds like it, and I think it should be addressed (though also I'm in favour of yugoloths for their own sake).

Edited by Miloch, 19 January 2011 - 12:08 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#122 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

How about a *cringe* spell-selection screen (à la Spell Immunity)? It seems you can hook that up to the alignment filter aTweaks uses, so LCNEUTRALs can choose between summoning a tanar'ri or a baatezu.

#123 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

I have doubts on the feasability of this; you want to make a spell selection for neutrals but not for the others. You can either make a spell purely a spell selection spell or as a non spell-selection spell. You can't mix the two. The best thing you could do (IMO, for neutrals) is have the spell summon an invisible .cre which triggers a fialogue with the player.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#124 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

No, you can mix. The same spell can directly summon a tanar'ri when cast by someone of chaotic alignment, or summon a baatezu when case by someone of lawful alignment, or bring up a selection screen when cast by a LCNEUTRAL.

#125 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:09 AM

You are going to force the player to keep the character selected. Otherwise, the spell-immunity type menu is wasted.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#126 -Loz-

-Loz-

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:35 AM

Yes, the infighting from neutral casters was indeed what I was talking about. One other simple way to solve the problem is just make neutral casters summon tanari.

#127 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:38 AM

RE: yugoloths. Both arcanaloths and ultroloths are medium-sized, robe-wearing humanoids, so maybe the least silly way of implementing them is by simply using human avatars. You can give them hooded robes to make it less painfully obvious they aren't very fiendish but at least it won't look totally stupid. Or am I wrong?

RE: spell-selection screens. In lieu of the hybrid approach I presented above, I think this optional add-on (this was always going to be optional) works better if everyone gets spell-selection screens. If yugoloths are implemented, lawful and chaotic people could even have a choice between summoning tanar'ri/baatezu and summoning yugoloth. LCNEUTRALS could get to choose between all three.

#128 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:23 PM

RE: yugoloths. Both arcanaloths and ultroloths are medium-sized, robe-wearing humanoids, so maybe the least silly way of implementing them is by simply using human avatars. You can give them hooded robes to make it less painfully obvious they aren't very fiendish but at least it won't look totally stupid. Or am I wrong?

Do you need different types of yugoloths? Will the caster be able to choose which or does it get determined by level or something?

Like I said, the nycaloth would be most sensible as you can just use the balor tanar'ri. Eventually I could recolour the NWN pit fiend greenish and apply that in Infinity Animations. There is already a greenish tanar'ri used for nabassus. For ultraloths, you could probably get away with using a robed human animation with dark grey skin and hair. For arcanaloths, I dunno. They obviously have dog or jackal heads, the snouts of which would be visible even through a hood. I thought maybe the rakshasa, but it looks too much like a tiger. The gnoll animation might work, since you can palette it, meaning you can assign whatever colours you want to it. Gnolls have hyena heads, arcanaloths jackal heads, close enough.

The element of choice is good, because that's the way the Gate spell works in PnP (you can actually name the being you wish to gate, though it's not always accurate, it will always gate in something, and age you five years as well).

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#129 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

Do you need different types of yugoloths? Will the caster be able to choose which or does it get determined by level or something?

I need three, for the three fiend-summoning spells.

The gnoll animation might work, since you can palette it, meaning you can assign whatever colours you want to it. Gnolls have hyena heads, arcanaloths jackal heads, close enough.

I'm not sure I could take a gnoll-looking fiend seriously.
No, barring something miraculous I think robed, hooded human is the least unsatisfactory animation for arcanaloths.

#130 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm not sure I could take a gnoll-looking fiend seriously. No, barring something miraculous I think robed, hooded human is the least unsatisfactory animation for arcanaloths.

Well, I don't know if it's "miraculous" but it turns out the NWN Community Expansion Pack actually has several yugoloth animations.
ultrloth.gif mezzloth.gif yagnloth.gif nycaloth.gif
L-R: ultroloth, mezzoloth, yagnoloth and what could work for a nycaloth (actually an alternate green abishai, for which we've already animations from PS:T)

No arcanaloths unfortunately. Maybe one of these would work?
werecoyo.gif jacguar.gif gnollclk.gif
L-R: werecoyote, jackal guardian and cloaked gnoll

I think I'd prefer the first. Ideally it should be robed or cloaked, but the second looks too much like something out of Egypt and the third probably too much like a gnoll. A hooded human would just look like another thief or cowled wizard though.

The animations probably are not so much aTweaks' concern, but if you're going to put in the work on the creatures, the least I could do is try to find suitable animations. I haven't yet converted any from NWN but I've got instructions from Erephine at least, so I could give it a go if folks think it'd be worth the effort.

#131 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:34 AM

That sounds very promising. 8)

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#132 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:58 AM

RE: spell-selection screens. In lieu of the hybrid approach I presented above, I think this optional add-on (this was always going to be optional) works better if everyone gets spell-selection screens. If yugoloths are implemented, lawful and chaotic people could even have a choice between summoning tanar'ri/baatezu and summoning yugoloth. LCNEUTRALS could get to choose between all three.

I like this solution. You will have to patch AI scripts so that they cast the fiend summoning spells and not the menu spell (which can be unmemorized by RemoveSpellRES()).

The animations probably are not so much aTweaks' concern, but if you're going to put in the work on the creatures, the least I could do is try to find suitable animations. I haven't yet converted any from NWN but I've got instructions from Erephine at least, so I could give it a go if folks think it'd be worth the effort.

I really like and encourage this idea.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#133 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

[...]
I think I'd prefer the first.

Either the first or the second one would work well, I think.

If you were to port one or more of the ultroloth, the dog-man or the green dude (or a recoloured tanar'ri/pit fiend) and make them available via IA, that would just be amazing.

I like this solution. You will have to patch AI scripts so that they cast the fiend summoning spells and not the menu spell

Yeah, that's one of my projects for today, as it happens.
It's turning into a rather good component, I think. And it'll be pretty fancy being able to choose what sort of fiend you summon.

Edited by Wisp, 21 January 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#134 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:10 PM

werecoyo.gif jacguar.gif gnollclk.gif
L-R: werecoyote, jackal guardian and cloaked gnoll

After failed attempts at trying to "robe" the werecoyote, I retextured the jackal guardian to look less like Anubis.
arcloth1.gif
Still messing around with colours (not sure I like the red and gold - maybe I'll go with blue :P), but a more fitting arcanaloth perhaps?

#135 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

It looks very nice :cheers:

#136 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

Well done Miloch.

#137 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 458 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:04 AM

New animations through IA + PnP components from aTWEAKS = pure WIN.

#138 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:00 AM

Posted Image

So anyway, I ended up creating a "PnP Color Spray" spell for the Ultroloths. But there's nothing that prevents me from applying the same code to the Wizard spell, in case anyone's interested in a component like that. I guess this "PnP Spells" component could be expanded in the future, if I come across any other spells that deviate from PnP for no good reason. I imagine there'd be significant overlap with Spell Revisions (e.g. I wouldn't be surprised if Spell Revision's Color Spray is nearly identical to aTweaks').

For reference, PnP-in-BG2 Color Spray works like this:
If the target's level is equal to or lower than the caster's level and lower than level 6, the target is struck unconscious for 5 rounds.
If the target's level is equal to or lower than the caster's level and level 6 or higher, the target is struck unconscious for 5 rounds unless he saves vs. spell.
If the target's level is 1 or 2 higher than the caster's level, the target is blinded for 2 rounds unless he saves vs. spell.
If the target's level is 3 or more greater than the caster's level, the target is confused for 1 round unless he saves vs .spell.

Plain-BG2 Color Spray strikes the target unconscious if he's level 4 or lower and fails a save. If he's higher than level 4 the spell has no effect.

Edited by Wisp, 28 January 2011 - 08:04 AM.

#139 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

Cool. Are the fiends invisible or are you just waiting for the proper animations? :D

#140 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:37 AM

Cool. Are the fiends invisible or are you just waiting for the proper animations? :D

They just hadn't shown up yet; gating takes a round (it will also be optional).