v104 has a trojan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -TJHoenecke-

-TJHoenecke-

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Tried to install v104, but McAfee found a generic.dx trojan in the eeconv.exe, so it won't install. :(

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

It certainly doesn't have a trojan; McAfee is detecting a false positive. Nothing to worry about.

Personally, I'd uninstall McAfee and get something worth a damn. I recommend AVG Antivirus. :)

#3 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Personally, I'd uninstall McAfee and get something worth a damn. I recommend AVG Antivirus. :)

I second that.

Edited by Sam., 12 March 2010 - 09:08 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#4 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thirded. That or avast! On Access. I would not install Norton or McAfee. And this is from a dude who used to live by the old Norton Utilities and Norton Commander back in the day, and who has had installed (and abandoned) both Norton and McAfee in various configurations under Win3.11, Windows95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Vista 32, and Vista 64. My current Win7 64 is happily chugging along under the avast! On Access. , and I have a friend's and my brother's boxes running AVG Paid.

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Avast gives a lot of false positives when installing mods, as documented in various posts here (such as this one). It's pretty annoying, because they'll look like vague unspecific mod errors, but they're not. So it's almost as bad as McAfee, at least in that respect. And AVG is adware apparently (the free version anyhow). Maybe Avira is better, as mentioned here. I've been using ClamWin and haven't had any problems like this, though I always turn it off when doing anything mod-related.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:16 PM

I can add Norton Internet Security (and therefore probably Norton Antivirus) to the list of software that don't trust WeiDU.exe or its copy as setup-xxx.exe in the mods. Its dislike seems to be very much dependent on WeiDU version. Only a few of them are considered dangerous. I don't remember what it finds out in terms of virus or malware in it.
I'm talking about mods that have been on my harddisk for a very long time : Tashia 1.1, BGT 106, for instance. I don't remember if it complained about Epic 104 though.

#7 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

Thissetup-eeconv should work:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kmutzigoy55

After extracting EE into the directory, the offending AV might remove the original file so just replace the missing one with this one.

Edited by Hoppy, 14 March 2010 - 12:22 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant