Photo

NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

#461 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

Some creatures have scripts in the Specifics slot, but this is only applicable in their area file.  Is this a feature of ARE or CRE?  If CRE, can this be added to their file editing?

#462 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:25 AM

The "Specific" script is part of the ARE file format (see offset 0x0078). It's also possible to assign/override all of the CRE scripts (Override, General, Class, Race, Default) in the Actor entries of ARE files. From what I've seen it's mainly used in IWD to give generic creatures specific actions. Although I've seen it used in BG2 as well (e.g. for Rylock in AR0300.ARE).

#463 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:30 PM

Okay, thanks for the answer.  It's tricky to debug some weird behaviors because, like you said, anything in the ARE>Actor scripts overrides the CRE scripts.  Is there a way to search the AREs for scripts being present in those slots?  Right now I've given up because manually checking each actor in every area is just not a good use of time.

Also, do you know how they override?  I mean, do the ARE>Actor scripts all get checked before the CRE ones (So an ARE General script has priority over a CRE Default), or are the ARE>Actor scripts merely replacements for the corresponding slots?

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 28 May 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#464 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:53 PM

I've never used these fields before, so I can't tell you much about it. You might have better chances to get an answer over at the G3 Forums.

#465 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

It would be nice if "Find references" on strings could find strings used in actions like AddJournalEntry(96133, INFO) to take an example from BGII:EE. It is the same with journal strings added to QUEST and QUEST_DONE.

#466 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:57 AM

It looks like AddJournalEntry() is indeed ignored in the search. I'll fix it in the next release.

#467 -To_an-

-To_an-

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:52 AM

Hello Argent77. Found a small glitch in your last release :

* seems to occur only with a GOG install of Planescape Torment (doesn't occur for an install of Baldur's Gate the Original Saga or Baldur's Gate EE / not tested for BG II, BG II - ToB or IWD series).

* Large Portrait field in CRE file list BAM files and not BMP files.

And thanks for your wonderful tool.

#468 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:23 AM

That's a special feature of Planescape Torment. The game uses an animated portrait for the large version.

#469 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:32 AM

Update: NearInfinity v1.36-20150530

Changes:

• Added option to export MVE movies as AVI videos. You can either export selected MVE resources or use the Mass Exporter for this. I have also taken the opportunity to remove the option to create Windows executables from MVEs.
  • Added option to specify starting game directory as application parameter to NearInfinity.jar. You'll probably have to start NI via console command to make use of it, unless your OS supports drag & drop actions.
  • Added TobEx detection. Currently only effect opcodes are affected, which includes Kit support for IDS targetting, new parameters for existing opcodes and new opcode 318 (Set Stat).
  • Added effect opcode 360 (Ignore reputation breaking point) support.
  • Greatly improved layout calculation speed for PVRZ-based BAM/MOS/TIS conversions.
  • Updated familiar structure and "Save Version" field in GAM resources.
  • Added confirmation dialog when leaving decompressed SAV resources.
  • Added language-specific override folder support for EE games.
  • Several smaller fixes and updates.

#470 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

Added option to specify starting game directory as application parameter to NearInfinity.jar. You'll probably have to start NI via console command to make use of it, unless your OS supports drag & drop actions
Which file am I supposed to drag and drop to the .jar (in order to use this method)? ... The chitin.key ? Or the whole folder .. the later seems odd to say the least.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#471 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

It depends on the operating system. On Windows you can drag and drop the NearInfinity.jar, followed by the desired game folder or its chitin.key to the "Run..." dialog or an open command prompt. I have added this option mainly with creating application shortcuts to specific games in mind, or to solve compatibility issues such as mentioned in this post.

Edited by Argent77, 30 May 2015 - 07:24 AM.

#472 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:09 PM

In Windows, you can pass in command-line parameters when you create a shortcut.

#473 LLeroy

LLeroy
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:18 AM

Hello everyone ! Some time ago I had an "Assertion Failed" problem, and after making some search I found the Area CRE Checker
 from Miloch. I ran the software as explained and I found out (well I assume I did) where the problem was.

But then, I have no clue what to do.

Care to help a poor boy ? Thanks in advance :D

Ps : the the whole thing is here : http://www.shsforums...ea-cre-checker/

#474 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:22 AM

Is there any way to get NI to not include EE references?  It's hard enough keeping up with odd filenames in things like songs and variables, without these resources that don't even exist here (as far as NI knows).

Failing that, can you point me to the last NI version before EE was added?

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 02 June 2015 - 12:22 AM.

#475 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:39 AM

Care to help a poor boy ?
Hello.
Make your own thread, here, which includes the content of the weidu.log and what exactly the Area CRE checker said. It might be best if you actually copy paste the whole debug file's content. And remember that we know nothing about your game... or at least it's best that you assume so.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#476 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:28 AM

Is there any way to get NI to not include EE references?  It's hard enough keeping up with odd filenames in things like songs and variables, without these resources that don't even exist here (as far as NI knows).

Can you be more specific?

Failing that, can you point me to the last NI version before EE was added?

You'll probably have to use one of the ancient releases from 2012 or earlier. The first post of this thread contains links to a couple of ancient versions of NI.

#477 LLeroy

LLeroy
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thanks Imp !

#478 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:45 AM

One example is an item's flags.

I know that ToBEx added the critical hit toggle to #25, but now it's named "EE: Toggle etc".  That's fine, but only because I know ToBEx had it anyway.  Same with #24, because I know that Taimon and now ToBEx had it anyway.  Then there's #13, "EE: Forbid off-hand weapon".  Should I assume that that is EE-exclusive and shouldn't be shown as a valid property, or is it also in ToBEx?

Then in the effects list, there's #318, which isn't listed at all in IESDP as a BG2 effect.  Is this something ToBEx has added, or should this not even be selectable/viewable as a valid effect?

Just from these examples, I have to assume that there are other anomalies that are going to make me keep a list of which things I can actually safely work with.  I'd just like to know what those things are.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 03 June 2015 - 12:46 AM.

#479 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

Effect opcode 318 for vanilla BG2 is clearly labeled as "TobEx only" in NI.

Flag descriptions in NI are hardcoded, so I can't change it on the fly. The best I can do is adding the "Ex" prefix to flag labels which are also supported by TobEx. However, there are still a few flags remaining where I'm not certain whether they are actually supported by TobEx and/or the Enhanced Editions.

Btw, the TobEx archive contains a very comprehensive documentation which lists all additions and changes. Additionally, IESDP provides information for all non-EE games and some information for BG1EE. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for quite some time. Another good (and more up to date) source is the IESDP Updates and Info section of the G3 forums.

#480 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

Yesterday, I installed NI (after the java runtime) under Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit) and used it to edit a few BG2 characters. Launching the game and selecting any of these edited characters always results in a CTD. I noticed that the latest version of NI, as of this writing, adds many fields to the character records than I've ever seen before, including some instances of unused bytes. This is a huge problem, as I need to use NI to edit in ways that Shadowkeeper will not (SK isn't reading any custom kits, for example, so I can't edit a character's kit to any mod kits). What version of NI should I be using, in order to avoid the EE-related stuff and edit characters that will then be read and used successfully by the game?

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Still writing Erysseril NPC mod...

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.
A female elf wilderness warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more? (Maybe, if I ever finish the mod)