NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

#481 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

I need more information. What exactly have you changed in which file? Does it only happen with the latest NI release? To reproduce this issue on my system it would also be helpful if you could attach the file in question to your post, preferably before and after making the modifications.

EE-related stuff should only be regarded by NI if you've opened an EE game.

#482 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

-snip-

Gotcha.  I didn't know that "Ex" was the ToBEx indicator.  I knew that flags 24 and 25 were given their functionality before EE was even announced, so I wasn't sure if "EE" automatically included ToBEx with 13.  The ToBEx doc was very helpful for this.  Thanks!

#483 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

First, thanks Argent77, for NI.

In latest release, NearInfinity-20150530, there is something strange happening.
When I Check for corrupted files in my BGT install, I get massive feedback of CREs, ITMs, SPLs (20k files) with this error, eg:

File: DAVAEO.CRE  Offset: 5e8h  Error message: Proficiency(5e8h) overlaps Behavior(5e8h) by 2 bytes
File: DAVAEO.CRE  Offset: 5e8h  Error message: 2 unused bytes between Behavior(5e8h) and Timing mode(5ech)

I tried previous versions of NI, NearInfinity-20150428 and previous, this errors don't appear.
Is it legit errors or bug?

#484 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:07 PM

Yes, there is a bug in TobEx-specific code for effect opcode 233 (Modify proficiencies). I'll fix it as soon as possible.

#485 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

The only version of NI I have is the current version. The problem occurs if I open any .chr file, apply any edits at all (or not even change anything), and save/overwrite the .chr file. My kitlist.2da correctly shows all mod-added kits. This never happened with any previous version of NI.

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Still writing Erysseril NPC mod...

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.
A female elf wilderness warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more? (Maybe, if I ever finish the mod)

#486 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:29 PM

Chances are that it's been caused by the same bug mentioned two posts earlier. I'm working on a fix right now.

#487 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

Update: NearInfinity v1.36-20150604

Changes:

• Fixed a serious bug in effect opcode 233 which caused file corruption in TobEx/BG2 game installations.
  • Added Regular Expression support when searching text files, dialogs or strings in the dialog.tlk. This page provides a list of supported regular expression constructs.

#488 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

Fixed a serious bug in effect opcode 233 which caused file corruption in TobEx/BG2 game installations.

Care to elaborate a bit ? Not that I really need the info or anything, but just in case... :whistle:

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#489 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:56 PM

It was a small bug in how I've handled a certain TobEx-related parameter in opcode 233 after adding TobEx support in the previous snapshot (20150530). It resulted in a small memory hole which led to file corruption when save the resource.

#490 EricP

EricP
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

Good timing, as I've nuked my installation to rebuild BG2 from the (GOG) ground up. For this pass, I'm following the order in the BWP installation instructions, installing all mods manually, as any control freak would ;) When it's all finished, I'll use this new version of NI to edit and save a character, and report the results.

Working and playing under Windows 7 Ultimate on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

Still writing Erysseril NPC mod...

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in active development.
A female elf wilderness warrior and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more? (Maybe, if I ever finish the mod)

#491 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

If I start NI, click on some ARE file, then click on "View Area", the Area Viewer comes up in a new window as expected.  If I close that window (Red X in the top right corner) and then click on "View Area" again, the window comes up but the actual area graphic isn't there.  I'm on Win 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64-bit OS, Administrator, Java Version 8 Update 45.  The Debug Console is blank.

This is what the window looks like:

NIAreaViewerBlank.PNG

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#492 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 04:23 PM

I use Win 8.1 and get the same thing. Moreover, the second time I open the view area window, I can't close it anymore.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#493 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

same here (win 7 pro)

#494 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 01:18 AM

I can reproduce it on my system as well. It's been this way since NI snapshot 20141202 where I had added code to reuse closed area viewer windows to reduce memory. I'm surprised nobody (including myself) has encountered this bug until now. I'll try to fix it in the next release. For now you should close the area viewer via ESC key instead to work around this issue. The viewer will also be closed automatically if you select a new resource in NI.

Edited by Argent77, 07 June 2015 - 01:30 AM.

#495 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

I'd like to request a feature that would greatly enhance the way we work with worldmap. Something like the area viewer in Infinity Core:

http://www.shsforums...re/#entry555000

Unfortunately Infinity Core crashes on my computer so I can't use it. It looks like the project is abandoned (see latest posts in that topic) so there is little chance for stable release.

Similar thing is already available in DLTCP but it doesn't support larger mos files and PVRZ files, so it's not compatible with BP-BGTWorldmap. It also has problems with some maps for example it doesn't show ToB map but works with BG1 one:

gss1R1D.png

Any chance for adding such feature? Currently working with worldmap in NI is very frustraiting due to no axis showed, no icons and ARE filenames on map. We can't know if there is a space for a new icon without wasting time on checking each surrounding area by comparing X/Y axis - which is even more unintuitive because menu on the right side shows strings (often empty) instead of ARE names and axis. Alhabetical order makes it even worse. And after adding the ARE it still needs to be checked if it looks fine in game, uncovering nearby areas for perspective, readjusting and so forth.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by K4thos, 07 June 2015 - 05:14 PM.

#496 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:45 AM

Interesting idea. Adding map icons to the world map should be doable. I'll see what I can come up with.

#497 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

1 bug, 1 request

When removing actions/triggers/etc in a dlg, the window does not update, forcing one to switch tabs and come back in order to see the change and continue.

Could you add an option to turn off the confirmation when deleting or overwriting a file?

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 08 June 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#498 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:08 AM

When removing actions/triggers/etc in a dlg, the window does not update, forcing one to switch tabs and come back in order to see the change and continue.

Yes, that's clearly a bug. I'll see to it.

Could you add an option to turn off the confirmation when deleting or overwriting a file?

Why? The confirmation prevents you from accidently delete or overwrite resources and can be quickly accepted by hitting the Enter key or clicking the mouse button. If you need to delete lots of files in the override folder, you should consider doing it in your file manager instead.

#499 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Why? The confirmation prevents you from accidently delete or overwrite resources and can be quickly accepted by hitting the Enter key or clicking the mouse button. If you need to delete lots of files in the override folder, you should consider doing it in your file manager instead.

I understand why it's there, but it's adding twice as many keystrokes/clicks.  Deletion really isn't the issue;  confirmation on overwrite is.  I don't need the "are you sure?" handholding;  I'm not prone to those mistakes.  If it's a pain in the ass to do, or you are unable to do it, that's understandable.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 09 June 2015 - 02:19 AM.

#500 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:33 AM

I understand why it's there, but it's adding twice as many keystrokes/clicks.  Deletion really isn't the issue;  confirmation on overwrite is.  I don't need the "are you sure?" handholding;  I'm not prone to those mistakes.  If it's a pain....

I think what you are asking from Argent77 is to add in a "no double confirm" setting-or-whatever somewhere in the menues, it should be off by default, but can be set on and that would bypass the need for the second click.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.