Elf female thief animation bug

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:21 AM

I had quite a lot of CTDs, and, after some experiments (as described in this post), the problem appearently comes from the thieves galore mod.

The game crashed every time a female elf bard or thief (Keiria from dsotsc, but I also started a new game with TOBTHIEF, and I got the same ctd) attacked when she was facing West, always in the same moment, when she lifted her sword.

I change-log-ed the animation (it's all written on that post), and your mod was the only one which had modified that.

After disabling some 3d effect, the CTDs stopped, but, when I attacked again facing West, it looked as if a frame in the animation was missing.

Now I'm playing without 3d effects, but that's quite ugly actually. Could you please check if the animations are all right, or if a frame is really missing?

Edited by Turambar, 09 July 2010 - 01:22 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#2 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:50 PM

I wrote a utility to check the frame integrity of all the BAMs, but it's taking absolutely forever to run. And once it does, I'm not sure it's going to tell me anything.

Can you see if it happens with different armour levels (no armour, leather, and if you can cheat it on to your thief character, something heavier like chain or plate)? And also if it happens with different weapon types, because it's possible one of the weapon animations is messed up. It is also possible the BAMs are fine and the .exe patch is messed up somehow, in which case I can be of absolutely no help.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#3 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:09 AM

Nevermind checking the armour levels - "BAM-Scan" came through eventually (after some trial runs and debugging).

It turns out there were some frames with invalid offsets, in pretty much the spots you indicated facing northwesterly, in 2 attack sequences and 1 casting sequence:
2a1f077.gif 2a2f095.gif 2caf222.gif
(ceft2a1-frame77, ceft2a2-frame95, ceft2ca-frame222)

These offsets were repeated, so for example an offset by 13 pixels was offset by 1313 pixels. This could throw the frame off the screen and no doubt cause a crash.

Anyway, extract these to your game's override (if 1PP Thieves is already installed) or to 1pp_thieves_galore/files/CEFT2 before installing. Only the leather-wearing thieves were affected; CEFT1 and CEFT3 were ok.

Attached File  cef2.rar   225.22K   362 downloads

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#4 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

I wrote a utility to check the frame integrity of all the BAMs, but it's taking absolutely forever to run. And once it does, I'm not sure it's going to tell me anything.

Is that something you are willing to share on an "as-is, per-request" basis? :rolleyes:

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:48 AM

Is that something you are willing to share on an "as-is, per-request" basis?

I was just going to add it to BAM Batcher in the next release, but I highly doubt it'll be useful to anyone else. It is only really applicable to folks who are building complex BAMs (creature animations) by hand. There is already an option in BAM Batcher to fix the offsets of simpler BAMs like inventory icons. FWIW, I ran the utility on all the other 1PP thief and dwarf animations, and only the female elf thief BAMs I posted above had issues.

#6 -Turambar-

-Turambar-

Posted 16 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

Is that something you are willing to share on an "as-is, per-request" basis?

I was just going to add it to BAM Batcher in the next release, but I highly doubt it'll be useful to anyone else. It is only really applicable to folks who are building complex BAMs (creature animations) by hand. There is already an option in BAM Batcher to fix the offsets of simpler BAMs like inventory icons. FWIW, I ran the utility on all the other 1PP thief and dwarf animations, and only the female elf thief BAMs I posted above had issues.

Thank you. I'm on holiday now, but I'll check as soon as I come back

#7 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

Nevermind checking the armour levels - "BAM-Scan" came through eventually (after some trial runs and debugging).

It turns out there were some frames with invalid offsets, in pretty much the spots you indicated facing northwesterly, in 2 attack sequences and 1 casting sequence:
2a1f077.gif 2a2f095.gif 2caf222.gif
(ceft2a1-frame77, ceft2a2-frame95, ceft2ca-frame222)

Yes, the first one was exactly the one I usually saw when the game freezed (or maybe the frame just before).

Anyway, extract these to your game's override (if 1PP Thieves is already installed) or to 1pp_thieves_galore/files/CEFT2 before installing. Only the leather-wearing thieves were affected; CEFT1 and CEFT3 were ok.

Attached File  cef2.rar   225.22K   362 downloads

Thank you very much, it works perfectly now (though Branwen will be quite angry now after all the times I attacked her with Keiria to check it :D ).

Thanks, you're always really helpful! :)

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#8 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

Noted (and fixed! :) )

Also updated the WeiDU executable and added CA to the IS_GAME check while I was at it.

Can anyone verify it installs okay and I didn't accidentally break everything?

崇高滑稽
·

#9 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

Probably lcarmor.spl and lcrobe.spl should be renamed to lcarmor2.spl and lcrobe2.spl.
Or lcarmor2.eff and lcrobe2.eff should be changed to use lcarmor.spl and lcrobe.spl.

#10 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

Why?

崇高滑稽
·

#11 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

Right now LCARMOR2.EFF uses LCARMOR2.SPL. There's no such SPL file in my install. Same for LCROBE2.

#12 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

If you look at how the component works, I think those .eff files aren't actually used.

It looks like they're a leftover from version 1 of this component, which called .effs rather than the spells directly.

崇高滑稽
·

#13 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Ah, OK. Didn't know that. Just noticed the missing resource in NI, decided to clarify :)

#14 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:52 AM

No worries :)

We could (should?) probably remove it from the installer, but at this point I'm a bit anxious to touch anything that works (especially if it's just because of 270 bytes).

And I just noticed I forgot to add CA to the check for the component.

崇高滑稽
·