Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:44 PM

Is this the way out?

BWP20150729025434.jpg

This is the way out, isn't it?

BWP20150729025512.jpg

Well shit.

assassin-exit.jpeg I'll just put an end to this here and now. We'll see the end of Irenicus and your little guild war before this day is through.

Chloe.jpeg Idiot! Don't you recognize me? I came down here with you all to fight against this rival guild.

BRKVQ.jpg Guild war? What are you talking about? I just want out of this dungeon.

assassin-exit.jpeg You can talk all you wish, but it will do you no good. Everyone in this place has either attacked or tried to lie their way into my confidence.

BRKVQ.jpg Then fight or stand aside. If I am close to freedom I will not wait for anyone.

assassin-exit.jpeg You'll not escape without a battle here. Your master dies above and you shall join him!

Freakin' Weaveballs!

As soon as the fight starts, Frennedan reverts to his true form.

BWP20150729030005.jpg

Creepy. But hey, he's still on my side, right?

Chloe kills the assasssin.

BWP20150729030113.jpg

And then, of course, after the fight is done, Frennedan reverts back to his wide-eyed boy look.

BWP20150729030213.jpg

The assassin had a long sword +2. Behind his corpse stands a door.

BWP20150729030342.jpg

Is this freedom? Is this light?

Yoshimo doesn't seem to care.

BWP20150729030410.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg It is certainly something that I've thought about. It may be true.

Yoshimo.jpeg Does this not worry you? Is it something that you would welcome?

BRKVQ.jpg I have no desire to inherit the fell power of that evil being. I will choose my own path. A very different path than that of murder.

Yoshimo.jpeg But you do have special powers that come from your heritage, do you not?

BRKVQ.jpg Minor powers only. Nothing even remotely god-like.

Yoshimo.jpeg I see. It is something of a curiosity to me. In my profession, Bhaal was once the foremost power. I cannot help but be curious.

No Yoshimo, you can't worship me.

The door overlooks some kind of large corridor, or pipe?

BWP20150729030715.jpg

This is a sewer, right? But so large...

BWP20150729030815.jpg

Up ahead loom two gigantic figures.

BWP20150729030857.jpg

ettin.jpeg I do or be punished.

BRKVQ.jpg I must say I feel sorry for you.

ettin.jpeg You mock Bungle? ME SMASH YOU! RrraaaaggGGHHH!!!!

Well, that didn't go well. Also we get hit from behind by surprise ogres.

BWP20150729031036.jpg

Still, we manage to hold our own...

BWP20150729031215.jpg

As I'm cleaning up after the fight, I hear a shout in my general direction.

BWP20150729031432.jpg

Drizzt-bg2.jpeg That's good to hear. My name is Drizzt Do'Urden. You might have heard of me.

BRKVQ.jpg Ahh, you're a friend of Wulfgar.

Wulfgar-bg2.jpeg Hey, Drizzt! Good to see that you are here too. Have you seen the others?

Drizzt-bg2.jpeg Wulfgar! Hey There! Glad to see you my friend! ... But no, unfortunately I haven't seen the others.

Wulfgar-bg2.jpeg I wonder where they are... I hope that they are alright...

Drizzt-bg2.jpeg Yes, me too... Well, I suggest we start looking for them... Wulfgar, you travel with these people. Can they be trusted?

Wulfgar-bg2.jpeg Yes, I believe so, Drizzt. Join with me to this party so we can together try to look for our friends. Syvishtar, will you let Drizzt come with us?

BRKVQ.jpg Of course! I'd be glad to help. But you must promise that you'll help me to find the wizard who captured me here.

Drizzt-bg2.jpeg Then it has been decided. I'll join your party, Syvishtar. Let's go find my friends and the wizard who captured you.

BRKVQ.jpg Yep, let's do that.

BWP20150729032035.jpg

BWP20150729032128.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg I can manage from here on. You can always head on to Copper Coronet and rest with an ale or two and mayhaps I can meet up with you there in the near future.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1462 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:44 PM

Gameplay note: Drizzt is, of course, a ranger.

BWP20150729032246.jpg

Then, certain that I am clear to exit this hellhole, I step forward again, only to hear yet another voice call out, halting my entire party.

BWP20150729033322.jpg

Yoshimo.jpeg Kachiko, stop threatening me! I am not alone, and I will not give up so easily.

Kachiko.jpeg Who are these people with you? Are they your new associates? Don't think you're so safe. I can deal with all of them if they try to stop me.

Oh not this again.

BRKVQ.jpg Do you mind if I interrupt your polemic?

Kachiko.jpeg No, but this is not really your concern.

BRKVQ.jpg I am Syvishtar. Please, introduce yourself, and maybe we shall come to a peaceful solution.

Kachiko.jpeg There is no peaceful solution, but... Hmm... Maybe you really don't know anything about this snake. I am Kachiko Nakanishi. From Kozakura. Do you know much of your associate, Yoshimo?

BRKVQ.jpg No. Please, tell more.

Kachiko.jpeg This... this... man, Yoshimo, standing behind you is accused of my brother's murder...

Yoshimo.jpeg I didn't kill him, and you know that! Your family accused me just because I am Hashimoto. Yes, I saw your brother die. No, I did not kill him. I had no choice but to escape; otherwise your family would kill me...

BRKVQ.jpg Yoshimo, what's this all about?

Yoshimo.jpeg Syvishtar, it's a long bloodshed between clans in Kozakura. We call it Hojo War. God knows how it all started... Her eldest brother, Naoko, was my best friend since childhood. We hoped that one day we might strike peace... I do not know who has assassinated him. I saw just a shadow on the wall. I mourn his loss...

BRKVQ.jpg Yoshimo, why didn't you tell me that before?

Yoshimo.jpeg I thought you wouldn't believe me. Look at Kachiko chasing me from Kara-Tur to Amn. Why should she trust me, indeed? I am Hashimoto and that makes me guilty. Even if I kill myself I would not resurrect my friend and her brother, and I would not put an end to this ridiculous feud...

Kachiko.jpeg Yoshimo, you sound sincere... Hmm... If what you say is true, we mus come back to Kara-Tur and try to convince my family that you're not the murderer. But if you lied...

Yoshimo.jpeg Kachiko, it's too late... I cannot go back to Kara-Tur.

Kachiko.jpeg Why? I will ensure your safety.

Yoshimo.jpeg *Grin* You know I can take care of myself... But I cannot come back, since I promised to help Syvishtar first.

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, you're right. You cannot leave the group right now.

Kachiko.jpeg And I cannot come back to Kara-Tur without Yoshimo... dead or alive.

Yoshimo.jpeg Kachiko, I promise to come back to Kara-Tur as soon as possible.

Kachiko.jpeg Don't lie to me. You won't escape again. I'll follow you, and I'll watch you. And once you close your deal with Syvishtar, you'll come with me. Syvishtar, do you need another companion in your group? My grandfather trained me equally in the spiritual and martial arts. I am not very strong and cannot wear armor, but I am fast and deadly in combat. Perhaps, in the future I may improve my wizard skills, as it is within my ability.

BRKVQ.jpg No, Kachiko, I have no room for you right now. Perhaps I will need your help later.

Kachiko.jpeg I have neither time, nor desire to wait for you in this dreadful barbaric city. But I won't leave without Yoshimo.

Yoshimo.jpeg Syvishtar, I am sorry, but I shall go with Kachiko. Perhaps both you and I still have a chance. Believe me, it's the best choice I have ever made in my life. If you change your mind in a few days, you will find us in the Sea Bounty Tavern near the docks. We will look for a ship to Kara-Tur.

Gameplay note: I'm pretty sure they stay there until its time to trigger their quest. Right?

I see the corridor up ahead, and I can smell the breeze of a fresh day. I hurry up the corridor to be stopped by another shrill woman's voice.

BWP20150729032559.jpg

Yasraena.jpeg Well, if it depends on me, then we are friends. You are obviously trying to escape this place, even as I am, so I bear you no ill will.

Yasraena.jpeg I am Yasraena, of the House of Arkhenneld.

BRKVQ.jpg I am Syvishtar. Why are you here?

Yasraena.jpeg I am searching for my former master, Divalir. News came to me that the master of this dungeon, Irenicus, knew something of his whereabouts.

BRKVQ.jpg What do you know of Irenicus?

Yasraena.jpeg No more than what I have just said. He captured me in the dungeon and imprisoned me. I have been here only a few days.

Yasraena.jpeg I heard fighting and then several explosions -- I assume magical. I was knocked unconscious, and when I awoke, I found that my cage was damaged enough for me to kick the lock open.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. You may join me, and I will help you search for your master.

Yasraena.jpeg (Yasraena's eyes widen in glad surprise.) Thank you for your generous trust. I will not fail you.

Gameplay note: Yasraena is a drow fighter.

BWP20150729033211.jpg

Gameplay note: She's got some pretty sweet swords, yadda yadda yadda, LETS GET OUT OF HERE.

BWP20150729040416.jpg

Is it freedom? Is it... is it the light of day?

BWP20150729040519.jpg

BWP20150729040526.jpg

BWP20150729040530.jpg

BWP20150729040537.jpg

BWP20150729040544.jpg

BWP20150729040551.jpg

BWP20150729040602.jpg

BWP20150729040817.jpg
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1463 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:52 AM

Keep going! Keep going!!!

-Y-

#1464 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:38 PM

BWP20150802041626.jpg

?? ??????, ????

I rush out of the tunnel and hear the sweet, too-long gone voice of Imoen up ahead. She made it out! She's waiting for us!

Then the tunnel collapses, and my life changes forever.

Gameplay note: Maybe I'm too much a Baldur's Gate fanboy, but I think that this is still the best introduction of a villain in any game ever. The only better introduction of villainy in general is Darth "You have failed me for the last time" Vader. I've even seen people try to port this into to another engine, but it loses a lot without the constant chunking and body parts flying around everywhere.

THEY TOOK IMOEN!!

ILLEGAL MAGIC??

IMOEN... MAGIC ILLEGAL?

ILLEGAL IMOEN MAGIC?!

IMOEN IS ILLEGAL?!?!

MAGIC IS BAD?!?!?

THE MONK WILL PAY FOR THIS.

BWP20150802010302.jpg

Frennedan-boy.jpeg Ah! It was long ago that I was the master of my own decisions. All this I owe to Irenicus. That mage is confident in his own power. He thinks he can do what he wants with everyone...

Frennedan-boy.jpeg Say, were you also trapped in his dungeon? Will you let him get away?

BRKVQ.jpg I will track him down and take revenge, Frennedan... believe me!

Frennedan-boy.jpeg I am also of the opinion that Irenicus' head should roll. But this will certainly be no easy task, you can therefore leave. Can I give you a suggestion, if you want to listen to it?

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me your suggestion.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg You know by now of my art - I am indeed a doppleganger. I feel no desire to harm you. I have regained my freedom and all my interest is focused on just one thing, to destroy the wizard Irenicus! He is responsible for my months of agony and I want revenge.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg We have the same goal in this matter, Syvishtar, whether you want to admit it now or not. If you want to take Irenicus, then you have to pull together all your resources and look for allies. He is also not alone, he has many servants, as you saw. I could be a valuable ally; my skills of shapeshifting could serve you well.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg Are you willing to take the path that fate has prepared for you? Will you do that, sir?

I remember the rash of doppleganger attacks that led the city of Baldur's Gate into what might have been a revolt if I hadn't of stopped it.

BRKVQ.jpg How do I know I can trust you?

Frennedan-boy.jpeg I have just said that I will do you no harm. I think that has to be enough for now. What is your decision?

BRKVQ.jpg Well, your offer is too good for me to turn it down. Keep in mind, however - you will pay for betrayal with your life.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg I was hoping you would say that. I will stay with you. We need to see to it now that we leave the street. Too many people are watching us now, for my taste.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg I will assume a more appropriate figure, it would be better to not attract attention...

And with that, he quickly shifts into the appearance of a dapper gentleman.

BWP20150802011132.jpg

Gameplay note: He also got the ability to shapeshift, use his claws, and read minds.

BWP20150802011229.jpg

He's right. Lots of people are looking at us. Who knows what that even means. And where in the Weave are we?

BWP20150802011424.jpg

Gameplay note: Athkatla is such an overwhelming city. I remember the first time I played this game, I couldn't even deal with the city - I just wanted to get out as soon as possible. I ran off to the Windspear Hills and Trademeet as soon as I figured out how to leave the city gates. But this city kept looming - oh boy did it loom. And eventually I plumbed its looming depths. Well, about 50% of it. I skipped a whole lot of the game my first time through. I just did not expect it to be so ... thorough.

I begin to go collect the remains from the fallen Shadow Thieves and wizards. Maybe they dropped something good? Drizzt starts talking to Wulfgar.

BWP20150802011901.jpg

Wulfgar-bg2.jpeg ... I have the same feeling... I can think of no other reason than the teleport spell... Maybe something happened to us while we were unconscious...

Drizzt-bg2.jpeg Yes... that must be it. This is very mysterious...

Wulfgar-bg2.jpeg Aye, it sure is. I hope we'll find the others soon...

As I am poking through the corpses on top of the rubble that is what's left of Irenicus' underground lair, a peasant approaches me cautiously. Doesn't he see that I'm busy?

BWP20150802012200.jpg

ryberg.jpg Truly? You are? Then you might be able to help me.

ryberg.jpg Would you mind? I mean, could you help me out?

BRKVQ.jpg Sure. I will help you. Tell me what you need.

ryberg.jpg I've heard that some magic users can call those who passed on. I know that this is true, so let me explain my problem.

ryberg.jpg You see, recently one of my relatives, dear Uncle Donny, died and of course I am very saddened at our loss of such a good man.

ryberg.jpg I miss Uncle Donny very much, as we loved each other greatly. I know that Uncle Donny loved and cared about me too, and he told me - before he passed, that is - that he would be leaving me his worldly possessions.

ryberg.jpg However, the city officials are all too bureaucratic about these things, and Uncle Donny had to file a legal testament with the city. Now that he has passed, the politicians won't allow me to see a copy of his will.

ryberg.jpg My Uncle Donny was a good man, but he had his quirks when it came to money. Donny was tremendously worried about thieves, swindlers, and the taxman, and hid his money away. I know that Uncle Donny left me all of his possessions, but he must have hid his money real well, for I cannot find it in his house, or anywhere else in the city. I'm pretty sure that he gave clues about the location in the testament, but not specifically, only by code.

ryberg.jpg That way anyone reading the will would have a hard time finding the money. Uncle Donny was wealthy, but since he died and I can't see the will, nothing has been left to me. I think that the city officials are going to try to solve where Donny hid the money, but I don't think that they'll be able to.

ryberg.jpg So now I need to find out where the money is hid before they do, but I can't see the will, so I can't figure out the code.

These city BASTARDS! First they take Imoen, then they won't let this guy read his uncle's will. Well, SCREW THEM WITH A SQUIRREL!

BRKVQ.jpg So what is it that you need me to do?

ryberg.jpg I don't want to give the city officials any reason to begin their own hunt for Uncle Donny's money faster. That's why I don't want to go about forcing them to give me the will legally. I have another plan in mind, but I don't have the skills to do it myself.

ryberg.jpg What I was hoping was to find a magic-user to summon Uncle Donny's spirit. I have heard that powerful magic-users can do that, and would like to speak with him in order to find out the clues about where he hid the money.

Using magic to screw over bureaucracy! BRILLIANT!

BRKVQ.jpg That sounds like a good plan. It is true that some mages - and some priests for that matter - can Speak With Dead, but in order to do so, the wizard or cleric needs to know the spell, or have a scroll to cast it from. I do not know the spell Speak With Dead, nor do I have a scroll.

ryberg.jpg Then is there any way that you could learn the spell? Maybe get a scroll?

BRKVQ.jpg I don't know where to look. Do you know anyone that might be able to sell me that spell?

ryberg.jpg I don't know any one that might sell that kind of magic. You know more about magic than I do, so you'd be able to find someone more easily than I could, but from what I know, you need to have a scroll in order to cast it, so be careful because you might only find one copy of the spell. If you go look for one, I'll stay here, and if you find the spell, I can do what ever I can to help you cast it.

Well, ok dude. You just sit right here in the ruins of a secret underground magical fortress and I'll go all the legwork. Wouldn't want you to break a sweat or chip a nail or anything.

THEY TOOK IMOEN!!!!!

I must have said that out loud, because Yasraena asks me about her.

BWP20150802013418.jpg

Yasraena.jpeg You were raised together? And that is enough to make you care for her welfare? You are -- most unusual, Syvishtar.

BRKVQ.jpg I'm not unusual. I'm completely normal.

My golden-glowing skin glints into my eyes at that moment, spoiling the effect.

Yasraena.jpeg That you would think so only confirms my thought. You are quite unexpected.

I finish picking up the gear. But besides 20 Arrows of Silencing, there is nothing worth noting among the crap. Only a few hundred gold, too.

BWP20150802015741.jpg

I need to figure out where we are. I need to ask someone what's going on. I need to... Elminster?!?

BWP20150802013706.jpg

Arkvisti.jpeg Now well, that's a fairly bold question, and one that is hard to answer in a brief manner. You can call me Arkvisti. I'm well... a wanderer. I like to roam around in Faerun. I have an interest in artefacts, and traveling around allows me to find some.

BRKVQ.jpg Artefacts? You're a salesman? You really do not look like one. Still, I'd like to have a look at your wares.

I look over his wares. He is not interested in buying my regular loot, and everything he sells costs ridiculous amounts of money. I decide not to get anything with my 600-odd gold.

Arkvisti.jpeg Ah well, I hope you found something that will please you. I'll be off now.

I feel like there's a crowd practically forming around me. I can't even walk two steps without someone else addressing me.

#1465 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

Now its some random elf.

BWP20150802014321.jpg

Thael.jpeg I have some potions I collected from this mage's lair... they could be of help... If you intend to go after him, I would like to join your party. I owe that bastard a debt of pain and I will repay him with my sword through his black heart!

Another elf? Better than a doppleganger at your back...

BRKVQ.jpg So, you too have experienced the hospitality of our captor? Join us and together we will see where this rat has gone to hide.

Thael looks... capable.

BWP20150802020716.jpg

I side-eye his sword though. Thing looks messed up.

BWP20150802020822.jpg

I say goodbye for now to Frennedan.

BWP20150802020032.jpg

frennedan-dapper.jpg If you think that is for the best, Syvishtar... I for one am reluctant to continue without you...

frennedan-dapper.jpg If you want to see me again, then look for me in the place where the dead rest.

Then he turns into his fat old man guise, and waddles off.

BWP20150802020206.jpg

Where is Imoen? They said illegal use of magic. Maybe she got taken to jail? Where's the jail around these parts? That looks like a big gateway over there...

BWP20150802014814.jpg

And a guard. I should ask the guard!

But just as I think to make my way over there, I hear a shout from the crowd. Again.

BWP20150802014857.jpg

Kivan! KIVAN THEY TOOK IMOEN!!

ywD7r.jpg It is not safe to stay here. Khila amin... follow me, and let us move quickly.

BRKVQ.jpg Elen sila lumenn omentilmo. A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting. What wind brought you here? Ah, do not look like Xan - we aren't doomed. 'Twas only some mad wizard bent on torturing me. It will be difficult to get Imoen back... but... alright, alright, I understand: go now, talk later. By Corellon, it's good to have you back!

ywD7r.jpg Cuamin linduva yassen megrille. My bow shall sing with your sword once again.

The Golden Company is getting back together! I can't describe this feeling. It's like I'm finally starting to enjoy life again!

And sorry, Wulfgar, you're great but you're just not an elf.

BWP20150802021525.jpg

Wulfgar-bg2.jpeg ... Alright... Where would you have me go?

BRKVQ.jpg Go to the Copper Coronet Inn at the Slums.

Drizzt doesn't seem too happy with that, though.

BWP20150802021725.jpg

Drizzt-bg2.jpeg ... Alright... I can accept this... But let it be known that I am not happy about it...

Hey, man, I'd love to have 20 people following me around all the time, but you know how it is. Only so much room at the "table," so to speak.

I talk to the guard, but he is completely useless.

BWP20150802021938.jpg

As we go under the gate, I can't help but think how beautiful this place is.

BWP20150802022016.jpg

I see a fight break out on the street in front of me.

BWP20150802022129.jpg

Well, more like a chase. This guy runs straight in my direction with a kobold coming after him.

BWP20150802022303.jpg

Is he serious? We attack the kobold, but then it turns into a tentacled monstrosity!

BWP20150802022404.jpg

Which then tries to kill the bystander but then... dies?

I try to talk to Mike to get some clarification.

BWP20150802022620.jpg

Whaaaa? Is he retarded?

BWP20150802022711.jpg

... the hell?

BWP20150802022732.jpg

Gameplay note: This is a joke mod written up to make fun of an infamous "Mprolla" poster that has haunted Infinity Engine game forums for a long time. I think I may have heard of him, but look! Inside joke!

Ok, time to move on. There's gotta be something in this city that will give me a clue.

BWP20150802022941.jpg

I start walking down the many roads of this city, wandering straight ahead, no real direction...

BWP20150802023027.jpg

During the trip, Kivan and I catch up.

BWP20150802023104.jpg

ywD7r.jpg Your tormentor kept woodland creatures captive? But why?

BRKVQ.jpg Emotions... The dryads said they were there to instill emotions in the man.

ywD7r.jpg I have heard of the dryads capturing and enthralling men, but for a man to enslave dryads and not fall prey to their charms - it is very unusual, Syvishtar. The dryads have a great ability in the ancient magics that affect the soul and change emotions.

ywD7r.jpg From what you have told me of your captor, he is a cold and cruel man... perhaps his character itself made him resistent to the creatures' enchantments.

BRKVQ.jpg I have a theory on why he was doing it. There were a couple of things in his dungeon: a woman's room and a collection of clones... and the clones were all the same woman. It was as if he worshipped her...

ywD7r.jpg Worship could entail either love or hatred...

ywD7r.jpg If we encounter this woman, you would do well to warn her of Irenicus' attention, for from what you told of the man's ruthlessness, she could be in grave danger.

ywD7r.jpg But we can do nothing about it for now. The dryads, however, could be saved. Do you know where the Fairy Queen resides?

BRKVQ.jpg The dryads told me that once I bring the acorns to Windspear Hills, the Queen should be able to grow their trees and free the poor things. If only I knew where these Windspear Hills were!

ywD7r.jpg In that I can help you, Syvishtar. I have heard of this place where I was tracking you - there were rumors of unrest. If I am not mistaken it is to the north and east, and the local Lord can be found in the establishment called the "Copper Coronet."

Oh, hey! That's in the slums! I keep hearing that name. Might as well go there first. We head off with a bit of a purpose.

#1466 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:40 PM

When we get to the slums...

BWP20150802023933.jpg

I'm suspicious. What if this is an agent of Irenicus?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg That so? I was thinkin' me sources of informaion infallible. Well, I suppose ye won't be wantin' any information on the young woman arrested by the Cowled Wizards when ye first came to Athkatla, aye?

HE KNOWS ABOUT IMOEN!!!

BRKVQ.jpg You're speaking of Imoen? What do you know of her?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Aha! So I does have you correctly. Coo! An' here I thought I be talking to a complete stranger. Wiping me brow, I am. Heh.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Now, Imoen, aye... that be her name. Young lass made the misfortune of castin' a spell or two in a city that frowns on such business. Bad timin', it was. You be thinkin' ye wants to find her, then?

BRKVQ.jpg Of course I want to find her! What do you know?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Coo! I knows very little meself, me Lord. I can, however, link ye up wih a group that knows. Or can be findin' out.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg But this be not the best place to hold such a dialogue. I be having a place that would suit far better. It be just a short walk from here.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Why don't I take you there right now? Unless you have some reason for not wanting to come along?

BRKVQ.jpg How do I know this isn't some kind of trap?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Hah! I have no interest in settin' up a trap. It be more profitable to serve. I will speak no more... come with me and you can decide whether to enter me house.

Reluctantly I follow the man, if only to prevent him from cooing anymore. He takes me to his house.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Coo! It's good to be seeing ye once again, me Lord! I see that ye were able to keep up with me alright, eh? I was afraid I'd lost ye there, heh...

Chloe.jpeg I swear if he says 'coo' one more time, I'll remove his spleen. He'd best be telling us what we want to know without any further stalling.

BRKVQ.jpg Don't dawdle. I have to find Imoen and make sure she's all right.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Aye, I'll be doing that quick as ye blink. I tell ye straight that I know a powerful group that can be helping ye. They can be findin' the wizard and the young woman both, they can.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg But they can be doing far better than the tellin', my friend. They can also affect the rescue of your lass, to boot.

BRKVQ.jpg They can rescue Imoen? Of course I'm interested!

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Ah, good, but you should now that it requires my friends to cross the Cowled Wizards. Not something ye would be able to do on yer own. Tsk.

BRKVQ.jpg Who is this group, exactly?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg This I cannot tell ye. Rest ye fine that they be willin' to help... and havin' enough power to challenge the Cowled Wizards. That all ye be needin' to know.

ywD7r.jpg And help will not come without a price tag, I am quite positive.

BRKVQ.jpg All I need is to know where Imoen is. I can handle the rest myself.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Ye might think this, but I be tellin' it isn't true. Without my organization there be nothing ye could do. Choose, then, if ye be wanting their help or nay.

BRKVQ.jpg How much is this 'help' going to cost me?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg It may seem costly, but think of the danger in crossin' the Cowled Wizards. A fair price, if he think about it. It be 120,000 gold pieces for their help.

BRKVQ.jpg 120,000 gold pieces! That's an outrageous sum!!

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Outrageous, is it? 'Tis a lot, but ye ask me friends to go against the wishes of th' Cowled Wizards. I told ye it not be a thing to be done lightly.

Chloe.jpeg You think that 120,000 is an outrageous sum, Syvishtar? My... how long have you been adventuring?

BRKVQ.jpg Is there no way to lower the cost?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg None. It be 120,000 gp or me friends canna' be helping ye.

BRKVQ.jpg I do not have that much... how am I supposed to raise such an amount?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg I am sure ye have spent as much in the past and will again. Surely there be work in the city for ye. Or perhaps some of yer expensive goods to sell?

BRKVQ.jpg Where can I sell some goods?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Coo! There be many places to sell as well as buy. Arledrian upstairs is as good as any. He may have a few items you need as well, I think.

BRKVQ.jpg Is there no help to be found elsewhere?

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg There be no aid elsewhere. Raise the coin or nay, ye'll come back, and I'll be waitin'. Ye may want to speak to Arledrian upstairs, to help ye out. Good luck.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Brus'll be waiting for ye outside. He's me nephew, an' he'll show you to the Copper Coronet. Ye'll find work easily enough there, ye will.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg There was some fellow named Madeen looking for adventurers. Don't know much about him, but he's at the Government District if you're interested.

Gaelan-Bayle.jpeg Fare ye well, then... an' give me greetings to Lehtinan if ye happens by 'em, heh...

Very well. The deal is made. But, I must note, under protest!

The last thing I ask Gaelan is today's date. He tells me that it is 10 Kythorn. I ask him the year. He coos once again and tells me 1371.

So, I finally have a date. 10 Kythorn, 1371. The last date I remember is 13 Nightal, 1370. That means I have been in Irenicus' dungeon for SIX WHOLE MONTHS.

Wow.

What was he doing to me?

Incidentally, it is now midsummer.

[timg]http://dnd.steinhour...ture_mod_sm.jpg

We go upstairs at Gaelan's suggestion to meet Arledrian, who is a merchant. He is pretty shady for a merchant, which is to be expected.

BWP20150802030740.jpg

Arledrian.jpeg (The dagger slowly pulses with a faint blue glow. Powerful elven runes are inscribed along both edges of the silvery blade.)

Arledrian.jpeg (This weapon appears to be of great importance to Arledrian. Every so often he readjusts the dagger's grip, making sure it is securely fastened to his belt.)

Arledrian.jpeg (Even a master pickpocket would find great difficulty in an attempt to steal the blade.)

BRKVQ.jpg That is a marvelously crafted dagger. May I ask where you have acquired it? I would like to purchase such a powerful weapon myself.

Arledrian.jpeg (Arledrian's attention turns to the blade. He tightly grips the hilt of the dagger, making sure it is secured.)

Arledrian.jpeg It was... a gift.

Arledrian.jpeg (He gazes at you somewhat suspiciously.)

Arledrian.jpeg And it is *not* for sale!

BRKVQ.jpg Alright then, show me the items that *are* for sale.

I sell him everything I have. All the gems, all the jewelry, all the scrolls, all the short swords and chainmails that I picked up in Irenicus' dungeon (and I picked them all up). I empty out the Scroll Case, the Bag of Holding, the Gem Bag, and dump it all at Arledrian's feet.

I don't sell any magical equipment, though. That stuff I might need to survive. And of course I don't sell any potions because nobody buys potions. When I get done relieving myself of any extraneous goods... I have much more gold than I walked in here with!

BWP20150802032128.jpg

Only 195,498 gold left to go!

#1467 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

Kivan looks at what I am doing and comments.

BWP20150802032312.jpg

ywD7r.jpg But rare is the man who would have emerged stronger, harder, more resolute, like you did.

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, just like you.

ywD7r.jpg You are right. It is a pity that these qualities come at a high price. I would have rather been a soft-hearted coward than see Deheriana suffer.

BRKVQ.jpg (nod)

Chloe decides to contribute as well.

BWP20150802032605.jpg

Chloe.jpeg Bhaal? The dead god of murder? That Bhaal?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes.

Chloe.jpeg Well, that would explain it. How do you feel about that?

BRKVQ.jpg How would YOU feel about being the child of the god of murder? I feel like everyone is always watching me, like I'm about to turn into some huge ugly monster at any time and start slaughtering everything in sight or something...

Chloe.jpeg Well, you never know. Divine blood has some strange effects sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it though.

BRKVQ.jpg You sound as if you speak from experience.

Chloe.jpeg Yes. My mother is Akadia, goddess of air.

BRKVQ.jpg Oh... that's um... what are the chances of two divine children running into each other?

Chloe.jpeg I would guess pretty slim. But we'll talk about this more later. We have things to do.

She's right. I need to get to the Copper Coronet, see if I can get things organized a bit. Rest. Prepare for the greatest earnings spree of my entire life.

BWP20150802033103.jpg

We leave Gaelan's house and run into his boy, Brus.

BWP20150802033155.jpg

Brus.jpeg I's heard 'bout a money lender somewhere round 'ere, but ye'd best be stayin' clear of him. If ye're seekin' work then I got a few ideas, though.

Brus.jpeg Yer a mage or somethin', right? Well... me boys tell me there's this feller named Madeen in the Government District... he's workin' fer the Cowled Wizards and offering some job. I could takes ye to the edge o' the slums if ye wants to check it out.

BRKVQ.jpg Actually, I'd prefer to go to the nearest tavern.

Brus.jpeg Okay, then... make sure to stay close, 'cause I don't have time to wait for ya.

He takes us on a breakneck, pell-mell course through the crowds.

BWP20150802033557.jpg

Ok kid, see ya! Now I just have to go into this door and...

BWP20150802033627.jpg

Jonathan.jpeg Sir, please, sir! Might I speak with you for a moment? Please, it is a matter of life and death!

BRKVQ.jpg Well, I guess I can spare a moment, but make it brief.

Jonathan.jpeg (Jonathan seems mesmerized for a moment, before he realizes you await his story.)

Jonathan.jpeg I need your help. You-you see, my sister... they took my sister! You need to help me, please!

Jonathan.jpeg You see, they-they took her. My sister! I know they did, since they left a note. They-they want ransom! But I... we are poor, you see, and we cannot afford it! But they'd kill her if I wouldn't pay! Please, Lord, please, help me, please!

Do people abduct sisters all the time in this damn city or what?

BRKVQ.jpg Your sister! Well, that changes things. I have a sister, too, of a sorts, who's been taken captive, so I understand how you must feel. Very well, I'll look into it.

Jonathan.jpeg (Jonathan looks at you with relief.) You-you would? Oh thank you, Lord. Thank you, truly. I'll be waiting right here, and I-I wish I had something to repay you, but I won't forget! And I really hope you will find your sister!

He gives me the note about his sister.

BWP20150802034110.jpg

Gameplay note: I've actually never seen this kind of object in a BG game. A note with a button that says "Area Map?" What will it do??

BWP20150802034301.jpg

Gameplay note: Oh, wow, ok, it will teleport me?

BWP20150802034405.jpg

BWP20150802034422.jpg

Carlos.jpeg Allow me to introduce myself. I go by the plain name Carlos. But do not think any less of me, please, it could be quite dangerous if you did. Now I take it you are here to free Anne, yes? Might I know your name, before we go down to business?

All the rage and pain of running around in the ice and snow for weeks and then losing Imoen bubbles to the surface. This sister-kidnapper is going to get no kind words from me.

BRKVQ.jpg Die, scum!

Carlos is dead before even my first spell goes off. I feel a little nagging in my conscience, but I try to brush it off.

BWP20150802035024.jpg

When his thug is killed I feel even worse.

BWP20150802035106.jpg

When the third guy falls to our blades, I start to wonder... was I too hasty?

BWP20150802035154.jpg

Are we the bad guys?

BWP20150802035241.jpg

Anne.jpeg Thank you! Thank you so much! I am so relieved Jonathan did not decide to try to be a hero! It would surely have... well, let's not think of that. He is okay, isn't he?

Anne.jpeg (She looks at you more closely, with a mixture of admiration and what seems to be a desire to give you a hug.)

Anne.jpeg I'm so silly, in all this excitement I forgot my manners. I'm called Anne. Shall we leave? I could use some sunshine.

Briefly, I am tempted...

BWP20150802035700.jpg

but then I think of Imoen.

BRKVQ.jpg (Smile at her) My name is Syvishtar, and the plasure is all mine. Go, enjoy the sun. I'll walk you to your brother.

Anne.jpeg (Anne nearly jumps from joy at hearing you talk, and she beams brightly.)

Anne.jpeg Thank you, Syvishtar, thank you so much! I would have surely died if you hadn't intervened. I'll always remember you, and I - I will tell everybody what you did for me! Let's go!

#1468 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:41 PM

We walk back to Jonathan.

BWP20150802035909.jpg

Jonathan.jpeg I... I can never repay you No, sir! No amount of gold could express.. I, I, I'm sorry... I'm, well... lost for words, it seems. I will always remember you, I will.

Jonathan.jpeg I'll... name my first child after you! Yes, that's what I'll do. Well.. the very least I can do, and he... he'll be meant for greatness, too! You'll see, he will!

Anne.jpeg (Anne interrupts her brother's rambling with a look which leaves no doubt to its intent.)

Jonathan.jpeg I... ah, yes, yes, you're right, Anne... well, goodbye, Syvishtar, and thank you again!

Yasraena seems to wonder at all of this.

BWP20150802040140.jpg

Yasraena.jpeg Raised in a library? Did they not teach you about the drow?

BRKVQ.jpg I never listened in my lessons. (You wink.)

Yasraena.jpeg You would be wiser to listen to what is said of the drow. It is all most true.

Well, I've got 3 of you following me around right now, I guess I'll find out soon enough won't I!

BWP20150802040340.jpg

Gameplay note: Ok, I do NOT know why I just lost 2 reputation. Did Yasraena go and blab to everybody about how I didn't study at Candlekeep?

As we walk into the Copper Coronet, Kivan addresses me.

BWP20150802040428.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg Very well. The man's name was Jon Irenicus, and he was quite adept at casting arcane spells.

ywD7r.jpg Is that all you remember, Syvishtar?

BRKVQ.jpg He was tall and dressed oddly, in leathers bound by cords with metal ornamentations. And he wore a mask. A leather mask.

ywD7r.jpg Have you ever seen his face?

BRKVQ.jpg If I did, I do not remember. What I do remember is his eyes.

ywD7r.jpg You saw his eyes behind the mask? Tell on, mellonamin. Were they full of yellow flame like Sarevok's? Was it his devilry?

BRKVQ.jpg No, on the contrary, they were cold and blue. Not the faint grayish-blue of the Northmen, nor the dark blue of summer afternoons. It was a clear and perfect blue, bright and sharp.

ywD7r.jpg You have given me much to think about, Syvishtar. Let us travel on now, but we shall talk more about it. Blue eyes. Bright blue eyes... (Kivan turns away abruptly, but distress is written clearly on his face.)

We walk into the Copper Coronet, and see a tableau before us.

BWP20150802040844.jpg

celile.jpg That is not acceptable. The time was agreed, and I am not prepared to make any concession. I will have what is mine, or action will be taken.

boy-in-cc.jpg I...I... okay sir. Thank you. I'll tell her that.

Kivan is obviously bothered by Irenicus' capture of me. He can't leave the topic alone.

BWP20150802041137.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg It was a perfect trap, Kivan. Some sort of sleep magic, illusions, shadows. I didn't know friend from foe...

ywD7r.jpg It sounds that your current foe is more cunning and mor suble than Sarevok.

ywD7r.jpg But you have no choice but to go after him: Imoen is your trusted friend.

BRKVQ.jpg Right you are! I can't sleep for worry of her.

ywD7r.jpg Be strong, my friend.

Well, here I am. The Copper Coronet. I don't see what's so great about it.

#1469 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

BWP20150809234614.jpg

10 Kythorn, 1371

So, the Copper Coronet. I've only been here 5 seconds and I'm already side-eyeing that red-coated buffoon over there.

BWP20150809232009.jpg

celile.jpg My business, not yours. Now please stop being so intrusive, and move along.

Intrusive? Intrusive! Why I oughta... ooh doggy!

BWP20150809232228.jpg

skooter.jpg (Pants happily) Woof! Skooter-woof!

BRKVQ.jpg Skooter? That's an odd name. And why am I talking to a dog anyway?!

skooter.jpg (wags tail)

skooter.jpg Woof! Rawawawaa!

skooter.jpg (He sniffs you, then lifts his leg and relieves himself on your shoes)

skooter.jpg Woof-docks-woof!

BRKVQ.jpg What the hell-?

Then... he TELEPORTS AWAY!

BWP20150809232535.jpg

A magic dog! Oh my Weave I'm going to have to get to the docks ASAP!!

As soon as I find a place to rest, that is. I'm pretty exhausted from the escaping and all.

From the center of the room, Brus, Gaelan's kid, again addresses me.

BWP20150809232720.jpg

Brus.jpeg An elder has been staying here and needs escort back to his village.

Brus.jpeg You can find him in the Government District, in the main building. His name is Loron. He's incredibly rich and a hot target for bandits, and your protection would be welcome.

BRKVQ.jpg Sounds interesting. I'll take a look in a bit. Thank you.

Brus.jpeg No problem.

I try to get a feel for this place, so I talk to the nearest bar patron.

BWP20150809232958.jpg

Well, why do you come then?

I begin to make my way counter-clockwise around the main room. True to form, a stranger addresses me quickly.

BWP20150809233039.jpg

ywD7r.jpg A pit of base corruption? You must deem yourself lucky for thinking that, knight. There are far fouler places.

Anomen.jpeg How does it set this place aright that there are worse abodes of depravation and sin? By any means stay here, if it appeals to you, elf - I heard your kin delights in base pleasures, despite their facade of virtue, but I am leaving.

ywD7r.jpg How did you come to this place to start with?

Anomen.jpeg One lowbred fool told me that I could find employment here; I am seeking to join a group of adventurers, but only one that pursues virtuous tasks.

Anomen.jpeg And what is your business here, if I may inquire again, my good Lord?

BRKVQ.jpg I am Syvishtar. It is a pleasure to meet you.

Anomen.jpeg Well met! Speak then! Is your heart filled with courage or be it steeped in cowardice?

BRKVQ.jpg When there is cause for courage, I have it in abundance.

Anomen.jpeg I trust that your accounting is true. Tell me then, Syvishtar, be you a force for evil or good?

BRKVQ.jpg There is no true good or true evil. The universe is a balance of all things.

Anomen.jpeg Bah! The excuse of the damned! Begone from my sight and enter not back into it until your heart be prepared to honor purity and the triumph of what is good.

Well, okay then! I am reminded of Ajantis. And not in a good way.

Chloe gets pensive after this, and talks to me.

BWP20150809233741.jpg

Chloe.jpeg Most of our culture is based on two things: Perfecting ourselves by training the body and the mind daily; and the worship of Akadai and Lathandar.

Chloe.jpeg We begin training as children as soon as we can stand and hold a sword. We practice every day, without fail, no matter what. Any day without improvement is a day wasted, as my torque... teacher, used to tell us.

Chloe.jpeg As far as Akadia and Lathandar, it is the common belief that they created the Yr'kai people together, though we do not know why. It is said that they wanted the perfect warriors an told us to constantly seek perfection and we would be rewarded in the afterlife.

Chloe.jpeg We have been perfecting ourselves a little more each day, each year, each generation, since then. Every generation we seem to be better warriors than our parents, so we are getting closer to perfection, perhaps, if perfection is even a goal that is achievable in life. Sorry for the long explanation.

BRKVQ.jpg It was fascinating. Thank you.

Next to Anomen is a small, stinky person.

#1470 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

I am curious, so I ask him.

BWP20150809234141.jpg

Forp.jpeg Me gully dwarf. In Dorp clan, help High Bulp! (*Pounds chest, smiles, and nods*)

BRKVQ.jpg I guess that means yo had relatively high status in your gully dwarf clan. May I ask where you came from?

Forp.jpeg Me come from... umm... here!

BRKVQ.jpg Thanks, Dorp. You've been a big help.

Gameplay note: It says my world map has been updated, but hell if I can scroll around enough to find out where. I guess we'll find out eventually?

I look around and notice Wulfgar standing by the fire. We nod.

BWP20150809234814.jpg

Then an earnest noblewoman comes up to us.

BWP20150809234900.jpg

Nalia.jpeg You! Are you for hire? As a mercenary, I mean? You look capable and hearty, like you've had formal training.

BRKVQ.jpg I may be able to help you. But I need to gather a large amount of gold to rescue a friend, so I'd be interested in knowing what you offer as payment.

Nalia.jpeg You don't even know what I ask but you wish to know the payment? I will reward you, but we must hurry. I cannot guarantee it if my land is looted. Will you help?

BRKVQ.jpg I will help, but I will need to know exactly what is going on. Who are we fighting and why?

Nalia.jpeg There is no time! I only hope that the attackers have not made it inside. If they have... if they have breached the inner courtyard they will be hard to rout.

Nalia.jpeg I will tell you what secrets I can. Perhaps you will be able to sneak in and attack from a more vulnerable spot. I hope Father is all right. He... would not leave.

Yasraena.jpeg He stayed to cover the retreat, as a male should.

Nalia.jpeg Should I travel with you? I've spent a few weeks slumming, and I am quite capable of opening the odd lock. I had to pick three just to get out of the main keep.

Nalia.jpeg Aunty doesn't like me leaving at night, but how else can I donate to the poor and not be noticed? They have pride too, and... I really shouldn't be seen with them.

BRKVQ.jpg You can travel in the party with me. I'm sure you will be a useful addition.

Nalia.jpeg Wonderful! Do you help people often? I have often wanted to get away from the keep and Aunty's rules. She doesn't understand that I just want to help people.

Chloe.jpeg Now this is a worthy quest. Aiding a noble is almost always advantageous. And such a fetching one at that. I hope you can take care of yourself though, Lady Nalia, because we can only do so much to watch your back.

Nalia.jpeg Here... I'll mark the location on your map. We should head there immediately. Be careful not to be spotted. I hope everything is all right!

BRKVQ.jpg Alright, I'll do as I've agreed, but you should know that my ultimate goal is to rescue an old friend of mine, above and beyond anything else.

Nalia.jpeg An old friend? Who's that?

BRKVQ.jpg Her name is Imoen, and she's been taken prisoner by the Cowled Wizards... and I'm not about to leave her to their mercy.

Nalia.jpeg If she needs help then of course I'm willing to help you find her, if you want me to. But we have to take care of my family's situation first, that's all I ask!

I decide to let Thael go for now.

BWP20150809235858.jpg

Thael.jpeg As you wish. I'll continue my search for Irenicus. If you need me you can find me where we first met, at Waukeen's Promenade.

BRKVQ.jpg Very well Thael, good luck to you.

Gameplay note: Nalia is a dual-classed mage/thief Imoen substitute. But she's only got 4 levels of thief.

BWP20150810003606.jpg

BWP20150810035749.jpg

Nalia and Kivan seem to hit it off quickly.

BWP20150810000111.jpg

ywD7r.jpg Did she lose her beloved?

Nalia.jpeg Her son.

Nalia.jpeg She lived in a small village on my father's lands that was assailed by a tribe of orcs. They killed as many as they could loot, and the rest they locked in the Mayor's house and set on fire to torment the de'Arnise soldiers who were trying to recapture the village.

Nalia.jpeg This woman, she said to me that her son did not fear to die... but he was only afraid that he would not find his mother beyond this life. So she said to him, "Just hold my hand, dear, and we will not lose each other."

Nalia.jpeg My father's soldiers managed to chase the orcs away and put the fires down, but half of the villagers died to the smoke or the flames. He woman's little son was among them...

Nalia.jpeg She... she tried to drown herself as soon as she realized that her child was gone... because... because of her promise, and her hope that she still could catch up to him and enter Ilmater's fold with him.

ywD7r.jpg And yet she lived?

Nalia.jpeg Yes, she did. Someone saw her and raised an alarm; they saved her... her body at least. She never tried to kill herself again, because, I think, she'd lost hope of ever finding her son in the afterlife.

ywD7r.jpg This is my worst fear, Nalia. To lose Deheriana entirely; to have the faint bond that remains taken away from me.

ywD7r.jpg At first I thought that I was bound by Sheverash to the Material Plane, and I rebeled against what I perceived as his will.

Nalia.jpeg Did you try to kill yourself?

ywD7r.jpg We elves cannot do that... we cannot take our own life, because we are connected to our entire kin's spirit. One cannot sever the bond abruptly without denying himself Arvanaith.

ywD7r.jpg And if I cannot find Deheriana, what use is death?

ywD7r.jpg No, I have done what that woman did - I let go of thoughts, I let go of duties, I let go of wants... I dissolved into the world. I was nothing until I heard Shevarash's voice. Only then did I put myself back together, piece by piece.

Nalia.jpeg I do not know what to say, except that I think Shevarash is a cruel deity.

ywD7r.jpg Thousands of years ago, Shevarash endured a loss similar to mine - his entire family was slain by drow. Perhaps he saw a quality in me that would not allow me to rest in Arvanaith until I had slain Deheriana's murderers. Just like he could not find peace.

ywD7r.jpg Or, perhaps I have uttered a vow that bound me to him admidst my tortures.

ywD7r.jpg After all this time, I finally understand that what I have done was no one's choice but my own.

#1471 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Then Kivan speaks to me, because he was thinking about something else at the time.

BWP20150810001206.jpg

ywD7r.jpg Yes, he is of our own kin. Of the elves.

BRKVQ.jpg I do not believe it, Kivan. No elf could apply such systematic, cruel pain to another elf without harming himself. And I have not felt any connection of the spirit with Irenicus.

ywD7r.jpg I am mistaken, then. (He sighs in relief.)

Then Yasraena speaks up.

Gameplay note: Freakin' a do these NPCs never shut up? I wonder if some mod reduced the timer for talks...

BWP20150810001714.jpg

Yasraena.jpeg I am unfamiliar with the surfacer gods. What is--was--under Bhaal's authority?

BRKVQ.jpg Bhaal was the god of murder.

Yasraena.jpeg The god of murder? Then I was more correct than I had supposed. The drow would envy you greatly!

BRKVQ.jpg Being envied by the drow is rarely a sign of a good situation.

Yasraena.jpeg True. And I do not envy you.

Kivan speaks again.

BWP20150810001936.jpg

ywD7r.jpg If they wish to live.

BRKVQ.jpg I feel guilty since they've died because of me, because of what I am. I'd like to... make amends.

ywD7r.jpg It is a noble sentiment, but do not forget that you should follow their wishes, not just pacify your conscience.

BRKVQ.jpg It's easy for you to say!

ywD7r.jpg No, it was very difficult for me to say.

Nearby us is a man with a very large sword. I decide to talk to him.

BWP20150810002143.jpg

Alex-Macintosh.jpeg I have acquired my wares from the likes of the famous adventurers Seeker, Fire, and Henry Olsen. Their exploits are known by many, so you can be assured of the quality of the items I sell.

BRKVQ.jpg Sounds great. I would like to make a purchase.

There are some +3 to +5 weapons here, like the Heartseeker Bow, Club of Spellstriking, Elven Mithril chain, and other crazy items. All outside of my budget, of course.

Gameplay note: This also includes potions that restore spells and tiredness. This must be the same mod that gave us those Potions of Refreshment in Irenicus' dungeon.

Yasraena decides to talk about wizards.

BWP20150810002627.jpg

Yasraena.jpeg That is just the kind of attitude that makes the priestesses wary.

Yasraena.jpeg They do not fear any kind of revolution by the wizards, but they have learned it is not wise to upset a wizard.

Gameplay note: Ok I am seriously starting to wonder if there's something wrong with the talk timer.

BWP20150810002803.jpg

Nalia.jpeg I don't really care for your comparisons of the poor, Chloe. Regardless, I know enough to only give of our extra coin. We have plenty, it's not like we'd miss a few coins.

Chloe.jpeg A few coins or no, that money is going to the cause of rescuing Syvishtar's sister. Every moment gathering coin is another moment she rots in that prison. Or worse, in the hands of that psychopath. He was only overcome because he agreed to go; he may have broken free and killed everyone as far as we know.

Nalia.jpeg Oh, don't be so dramatic, Chloe. A coin here and there won't delay the rescue of Imoen. But it'll make a world of difference to a beggar with nothing.

Chloe.jpeg Just be careful you limit it to a coin or two here and there. I see how your hand twitches on your coin purse every time someone who is wearing less than silk walks by.

Nalia.jpeg I can control myself, Chloe. Control your tongue when speaking to me of this matter, as well.

A guard by a door tells me to get lost.

BWP20150810003139.jpg

A little later we walk by Minsc and Hrothgar. They seem quite friendly with each other. I give them a nod as well.

BWP20150810003300.jpg

As I walk down the room, I get accosted by a bald man.

BWP20150810003349.jpg

Willie-Bruce.jpeg Luvly...

I decide to let Kivan rest for a bit.

BWP20150810003516.jpg

#1472 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Gameplay note: Unlike all these other special snowflake elves, Willie Bruce is a straight-up level 1 fighter.

BWP20150810004158.jpg

Gameplay note: He doesn't have anything on him, either, except for a tankard.

BWP20150810004259.jpg

Gameplay note: It is Willie Bruce's Sauce.

BWP20150810004329.jpg

Gameplay note: If he drinks it, his strength goes up to 21!

BWP20150810004807.jpg

I also share a nod with Worgas. He's standing by the stairs.

BWP20150810003829.jpg

But then I am assaulted by a banshee!

BWP20150810003906.jpg

Tiana.jpeg Rumar! Lord Rumar! You know who I'm talking about! EVERYONE here knows who I'm talking about! He's meeting HER here again!

Tiana.jpeg Rumar's around here somewhere! No one will tell me where he is! But I'll get him... and his cheap slattern, too!

Tiana.jpeg YOU HEAR THAT, RUMAR?! I WILL GET YOU FOR THIS!!

I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.

BRKVQ.jpg No, I don't know where he is.

Tiana.jpeg I'll find him eventually. I SWEAR I'll find him!!

Chloe seems to think I need some comforting.

BWP20150810004413.jpg

Chloe.jpeg I agree. The Yr'kai believe that when our warriors die in honorable battle, they are lifted up to spend an eternity as Akadia's personal guards. Akadia's realm is said to be a paradise, yet even in death the fallen Yr'kai continue to practice daily, constantly improving their skills to better serve our goddess.

BRKVQ.jpg What happens if you die of old age or illness?

Chloe.jpeg Some believe that we suffere in the hells, others that we instead serve as handmaidens and menservants in Lathandar's palace. I personally believe we are reborn to be given another chance. But ultimately, none of us know for sure.

BRKVQ.jpg Being reborn sounds like the best option, if it's true. If you mess up, I like the idea that you can try again.

Chloe.jpeg I agree completely. I find myself wondering how much of your prior life you resemble, if being reborn is what truly hapens. I suppose it matters little, though. You'd be a completely different person. Perhaps one that doesn't get cramped feet in the morning. (Giggles) Let's press on though, shall we?

As I pass the stairs, when my gaze catches a mysterious other's gaze.

BWP20150810005744.jpg

Traveller.jpeg (Before you say a word, he smiles mysteriously, as if he knows your intent, and speaks in a low drawl.) Curiosity killed the cat!

Traveller.jpeg (Surprised, you take a few steps back, your hand rushing to your weapon.)

Traveller.jpeg Relax, friend. (He drinks a wine glass, with a calm smile on his face.) I too was an adventurer once... perhaps I was referring to my own curiosity?

Traveller.jpeg (You realize your reaction may have been a bit too dramatic, even you are surprised. Other patrons in the inn are nervously watching you. You look at him again. From the contours of his appearance, he seems to be a half-elf. He seems to wear no armor. You only see two blades around his waist for protection. He does not seem to be a threat.)

BRKVQ.jpg I apologize... you startled me.

Traveller.jpeg Come! Some drinks to ease the tension, my treat! Bartender! Mugs of your sweetest mead for my new friends!

BRKVQ.jpg My thanks! Who are you?

Traveller.jpeg Ha! Jumping straight to my life history, eh? Maybe should conduct interviews, write things down, no? I don't suppose you have any paper? You should cultivate the habit! Well, simply put, I was an adventurer, like you I expect, with many tales to tell from many paces... again like you I'm sure. However, that life is behind me now. I now own an inn... not in this neighborhood of course (He mischeviously winks at the bartender). As an innkeeper, I wish to provide beverages both local and exotic, and this is the reason that has brought me here.

BRKVQ.jpg So... - (You try to say something, but he interrupts you.)

Traveller.jpeg I know adventurers are always looking for quests and all. Is that why you are here? I mean I have nothing to share in the way of news or rumor. I have little interest in what happens here. What you will get from me, are little quests... well, not all the way to quests, more like tasks. As I mentioned before, I'm here looking for beverages, but this place has become fairly lawless, and travellers such as myself are... welcomed by robbers! Ha ha ha!

Traveller.jpeg So, if you are willing, I would like you to help me buy or find some brew. I'll pay you enough, and supply you with a few special brews I've collected.

Traveller.jpeg I also collect magic items. I cannot sell you any yet, but if you have unwanted items, you can sel them to me. I will acquire them for a fair price. Perhaps one day, if our business relationship has blossomed into something more, you can also buy from me. But let me say that I am very reluctant to let go of my collection, so prices will be high.

Traveller.jpeg Now that's over with. Everything clear? Anything else I can do for you?

BRKVQ.jpg Of course. Look at my wares.

Traveller.jpeg Of course, let me see what you have.

But I don't currently have anything he's interested in.

Traveller.jpeg Goodbye, my friend. I am sure our paths will meet again... very soon.

The drunk beside him is less talkative.

BWP20150810011111.jpg

But the drunk beside that drunk, well, he's much more... informative.

BWP20150810011141.jpg

garoll.jpg Weeellll, I shpose thatsh true, it ish. Now, then. It wouldsht be truer if ye bought ol' Garrol a drink, aye?

BRKVQ.jpg Here's 5 gold pieces, Garroll. I'm interested in hearing what's been going on around here, if you know of it.

garoll.jpg (Eh?) Goingsh on? Oh, I be knowin', I shoitanly do. Wish all yer generoush coin, ye be lookin' for shome of Lahtinan's 'entertainment,' aye?

BRKVQ.jpg 'Entertainment?' What kind of 'entertainment' are you speaking of, Garroll?

garoll.jpg Well, dash depends on whash kind of fun you ish looking for, aye? Lehtinan, here, he sherves all kindsh, he doesh.

tavern-drunk.jpg (Psst! Garroll, my friend? Are you sure you should be talking about such things to strangers?)

garoll.jpg (Ach, I'm sure Lehtinan nay be mindin'.)

garoll.jpg Lehtinan, you servsh all thosh who have coin a'plenty, aye? He 'as grippersh in th' back, I hearsh, to wagersh on. A real fightsh, wish blood an' all!

garoll.jpg (Garroll! Be wary!)

garoll.jpg Err, oh, aye. Mayhapsh ye should be askin' Lehtinan for yourshelf, if 'at's whatsh ye be wantin'. I'ave little enough coin, myshelf, to 'ave ever indulged.

BRKVQ.jpg I appreciate the information, friend. I must be on my way.

garoll.jpg A pearl to ye, then. Have yoursehfl an ale for Garroll, aye?

I may just do that.

Edited by Usurper, 10 August 2015 - 03:35 AM.

#1473 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

I go to Lehtinan to ask him about these particular 'entertainments.'

BWP20150810005028.jpg

Lehtinan.jpeg (hurrm) Yes. Well. I am Lehtinan. Proprietor of the Copper Coronet, if you will. (hurrm) Welcome.

BRKVQ.jpg Perhaps I could see what services you have available?

Lehtinan.jpeg The Copper Coronet aims to please. (hurrrrrrm) But you must speak to Bernard if you wish to purchase something.

BRKVQ.jpg I'm looking to dispose of some coin. Any ideas on how to spend it?

Lehtinan.jpeg (Hurmm). Coin is... always... welcome. You will find the Copper Coronet able to fulfill your needs, whether drink, rest, or other sorts... of entertainment. (hurrrm)

BRKVQ.jpg Other sorts of entertainment? What are you talking about?

Lehtinan.jpeg Ohh... (hurrm)... one is always able to provide entertainment. (hurrm) Things like companionship, perhaps, or gambling on battles, and other things.

BRKVQ.jpg I've never had anything against gambling. What do you know about that?

Lehtinan.jpeg (hurrrm... hurrrmmm) Very well. You look like one who might... appreciate... such entertainments. There is more to my little place than meets the eye.

Lehtinan.jpeg Go over to the fellow by the door on the far wall and tell him I said to let you in. Talk to Frankie or perhaps Madame Nin if you wish to... partake. And enjoy. (hurrm)

Chloe.jpeg That man is slimier than an earthworm. I wonder what these 'other entertainments' are, though.

Then Yasraena starts to get creepy.

BWP20150810012015.jpg

Yasraena.jpeg Was? Did your mother order his death?

BRKVQ.jpg Gorion died defending me from my half-brother, Sarevok.

Yasraena.jpeg Died....

Yasraena.jpeg (Yasraena's eyes shine like crimson fire. A sudden cloak of silence falls on her, and she turns away abruptly.)

As I go up the stairs, I see my new golem, Lesser Clay Golem, standing there waiting for me!

BWP20150810012216.jpg

Hi buddy! I check up on him, to see how he's doing.

BWP20150810052323.jpg

BWP20150810052724.jpg

I'm really glad I stole this guy from Irenicus.

Then I go talk to the bouncer guarding the door.

BWP20150810012254.jpg

Yah, yah, whatever you say.

I just get right into the door, and run into the infamous Rumar.

BWP20150810012349.jpg

Rumar.jpeg Really? Well, be a sport and don't mention my whereabouts to her. I'm rather... tied up with my little pumpkin, here. Isn't that right, pumpkin?

Priss.jpeg (giggle!) Uh-huh... (giggle!)

Next to those two is a dwarf wearing yellow.

BWP20150810012643.jpg

asgrim-the-insane.jpg Me adventures in the frozen wastes of Icewind Dale. I found me some magical ice in the Gloomfrost Glacier and I want to go back and git some more. Some bloody blokes stole what I 'ad in this damned city.

BRKVQ.jpg Magical ice? You're joking. I never heard of any magical ice.

asgrim-the-insane.jpg Eh ye daft or wot? That glacial ice be more powerful then any metal crafted and that includes mithril. Ye bloody city dwellers no nothin'. What ye be needin and make it quick?

Apparently he sells things too.

BRKVQ.jpg Let's see your goods.

asgrim-the-insane.jpg Here ye go.

Gameplay note: He sells Icewind Dale stuff like Elven Chainmail of the Hand and The Snow Maiden greatsword. Also out of our price range.

#1474 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Chloe decides to set the tone...

BWP20150810013115.jpg

Nalia.jpeg Thank you, Chloe. You're quite lovely as well.

Chloe.jpeg You remind me a bit of my first lover.

Nalia.jpeg Oh? How so?

Chloe.jpeg She was a noble as well. The youngest daughter of Lord Kegan D'Martine.

Nalia.jpeg I know the D'Martine's a bit from my father's dealings with them. I think I may have met her once. Theresa, was it not?

Chloe.jpeg That's the one.

Nalia.jpeg Interesting. What happened?

Chloe.jpeg Lord D'Martine arranged for her to marry Duke Andros of Greymist. It was a great honor, of course. Increased her noble standing, and all that.

Nalia.jpeg Both sad and happy news, I suppose.

Chloe.jpeg Yes. The price of nobility is sometimes one's own happiness. She's miserable, last I heard. But she has three children, all of whom are wealthier and in a higher class than she was growing up. So she thinks it's worth it.

Nalia.jpeg I suppose. The dealings of the nobility often leave a sour taste in my mouth. But I'm quite accustomed to it, nevertheless. I had planned on marrying a noble of a similar mind as mine concerning the poor. Or at least a nice young man who wouldn't upset anyone too much.

Chloe.jpeg Ever have any dalliances of your own?

Nalia.jpeg A few, yes. One was a local boy by the name of Beran. He was handsome, but painfully dull and even duller of wit. But he was sweet. Then there was Marietta, a chamber maid. My parents were none too thrilled to learn of that one. They sent her whole family to the Roenalls. It's one thing to dally around with the staff, but one must never ever be caught doing so, after all. I still feel guilty about that.

Chloe.jpeg Hmm. Well, perhaps you'll find someone who will make you happy?

Nalia.jpeg We all hope for that, Chloe. Let us catch up to the others. I get a bit nervous when I lose sight of them.

Chloe.jpeg Of course. But I will protect you if needed. (grins)

Nalia.jpeg Hmm.

BWP20150810013823.jpg

Madam-Nin.jpeg So... do you wish a companion for the evening, then?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, actually I think I would.

Madam-Nin.jpeg Excellent. This is Cominda, and she will accompany you to your room, my Lord. You may speak with her further, there, as you wish.

BWP20150810014046.jpg

Whoa, what a hottie! They didn't have this kinda action up in Baldur's Gate! She leads me down the hallway to the furthest room.

BWP20150810014220.jpg

Cominda.jpeg Get to know me better? As I am sure my Lord is aware, I am but a simple slave assigned the task of bringing pleasure to others. There is little else to know.

Whoa, what?

BRKVQ.jpg You are a slave? Slaves are allowed, here?

Cominda.jpeg I should not speak but... slavery is illegal. But the trade goes on. There is a terrible compound here in the slums, and many come through it, as did I.

Slaves?! No one should be enslaved to others. They should all be free!

BRKVQ.jpg If that is true, then I shall do everything in my power to aid you and free these slaves.

Cominda.jpeg I doubt you can do anything, my Lord. If anyone were able to free us it would be a miracle. Did you still wish to spend the evening here, my Lord?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, of course. You're not free yet, are you?

Cominda.jpeg Oh... I see. Of course, my Lord. I... hope my companionship will please you.

Injbg.jpg

It is a... pleasant night.

Gameplay note: I'm surprised "romantic encounters" didn't do anything with this one.

The next morning, over breakfast, Chloe talks to me some more.

BWP20150810014710.jpg

Chloe.jpeg The most obvious events of my past are the daily practices. Sword fighting, mental discipline, reading, philosophical debates, discussion on honor. We were aso allowed to play, or get into trouble a bit. Punishments for getting into trouble got progresively worse as we aged, to teach us discipline but to allow us to have fun and freedom at an early age, which we feel is important.

BRKVQ.jpg And I thought *my* training was bad... (laugh). Despite all the training, did you have a happy childhood?

Chloe.jpeg I grew to enjoy it and I found my fun when I was able. I was treated well. So yes, I had a happy childhood. I have many pleasant memories, more so than the unpleasant ones. Many cannot say the same, I am afraid. But enough of this topic. We've fun of our own to have this day. Carry on, Syvishtar, and lead us to adventure.

BWP20150810015136.jpg

Gameplay note: Beyond a brothel, what we have here are 5 doors that can be closed. This means we have storage for up to 5 prissy characters. Drizzt and Yasraena will leave forever if we kick them out of our party. But if we put them in one of these rooms and close the door before kicking them out, then they can never initiate the leave dialogue with us, and then will never leave! So it can be said that with the constant attentions of hotties, even the most prissy party members will stay in the brothel as long as we need them to.

BWP20150810015346.jpg

Nalia.jpeg Because I want to help people. I want to change what people think of nobles --

Yasraena.jpeg Why?

Nalia.jpeg Because I want to do good with what I have!

Yasraena.jpeg But why? You do not see the poor, the rabble, as your equals. Your manner betrays ou. So why not aid your equals instead?

Nalia.jpeg The nobles don't need any help.

Yasraena.jpeg But did not you? Is that not why you joined with Syvishtar in the first place?

Edited by Usurper, 10 August 2015 - 03:27 AM.

#1475 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Gameplay note: Anyways, if I were to try to kick Drizzt out of the party, this is what he would say.

BWP20150810015724.jpg

Drizzt-bg2.jpeg ...Alright. This will be the last time we see each other then. Goodbye.

Gameplay note: But, if I close the door on him first...

BWP20150810015846.jpg

Gameplay note: Then when I kick him out, we never have that conversation and he stays in the game. Hookers are so useful!

BWP20150810020009.jpg

Gameplay note: Yasraena is another prissy drow who will leave if she gets kicked out. Lets store her next door to Drizzt, with Virah! (Cuz it turns out the middle door doesn't close, only open.)

BWP20150810020555.jpg

I'm sure they'll be fine.

We explore this area some more, looking down the second hallway of rooms. Out of one we hear a shout.

BWP20150810021102.jpg

Lester.jpeg Do you want to tashte the blade (hep!) of my shword? And I assure you, that it'sh not... clean!

BRKVQ.jpg It's just a joke. Don't panic. What is your name?

Lester.jpeg I am Leshter... Lesh-, L-E-S-T-E-R! Warrior extrordinaire Of the Order of Pints of Beer, a knight of the drunks, bu the... urp... drunks, for the drunks (hep!). My name ishh known inall tavernsh to the north... and shouth, easht and weshtttt...

BRKVQ.jpg Lester, do you want to join our party?

Lester.jpeg Join you? Why not, but first I have to make sure that the leader (hep!) of thish party ishh worthy of my company!

BRKVQ.jpg How will you know that?

Lester.jpeg A person is defined not only by the (hep!) proficiency shkills in weapons or magic... also... also also defined by the... courage of the... idiot - individual! Individual, that's what I meant to say! Do you... uh, what's your name?

BRKVQ.jpg Syvishtar.

Lester.jpeg So, Syvishtar, do you dare to stand up to the... the test?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, I do.

Lester.jpeg I thought sho. You look like a courag... courago.... a brave person! (Hep!) Thishh is the cup of delicious wine. If you can beat me and stay on your feet, I'll join (hep!) your party!

He gives me a mysterious drink!

BWP20150810021701.jpg

As I gulp it down, I feel it beating against my liver. Thankfully, my liver seems to win.

BWP20150810021732.jpg

BWP20150810021829.jpg

Lester.jpeg You are truly worthy of my (hep!) company. I'm pleased to join your party and will support you in the fight against weapons and pint in the hand.

BRKVQ.jpg So, Lester! Would you like an ale?

So Lester joins the party.

BWP20150810022326.jpg

BWP20150810054248.jpg

BWP20150810021942.jpg

Lester.jpeg Well, singing is an important part of the life of an order member. Composing a song of praise in honor of alcohol and debauchery is a requirement for promotion!

Lester.jpeg I will not present you with my first completed piece!

BRKVQ.jpg By all means! Everyone, listen, Lester is going to sing for us! Go ahead, Lester!

Lester.jpeg Okay... sha... shall I begin? Okay.

Lester.jpeg Ahem...

Lester.jpeg Oh fair maiden, oh buxom wench!

Lester.jpeg Come hither, come hither,

Lester.jpeg Ignore my stench!

Lester.jpeg ere my tumescence doth wither, come hither!

BRKVQ.jpg Bravo! Bravo! What wordplay! Go on!

Lester.jpeg Er... that's all for now. I haven't made any more up yet. But as soon as I complete the next verse, I'll let you know!

BRKVQ.jpg Okay, okay. But don't rush! These things take time!

Gameplay note: Nalia is actually pretty prissy right now. If you kick her out she goes straight to her father's castle. So we shack her up with a sleeping dwarf.

BWP20150810022421.jpg

Gameplay note: She's apparently gone for dumb guys, and maids, so a dwarf should be right up her alley!

BWP20150810022606.jpg

Llynis.jpeg Oh aye... unfortunately. A, uh... ghost is sometimes hauntin' me. Terrible, frightenin' thing, that is.

BRKVQ.jpg Why would a ghost be haunting you?

Llynis.jpeg Oh... er, I don't know. Can't say for sure. Excuse me, but this does be me private room... could ye please leave?

BRKVQ.jpg Alright, alright... I'm going.

Llynis.jpeg Next time don't be bloody sneakin' up on people when they're in their private rooms, by Mask! Ye just about gave me a heart attack, ye did!

#1476 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

I leave Chloe to watch over him.

BWP20150810022909.jpg

Gameplay note: Chloe will go to the city gates and tell you to "bring a lot of gold" if you kick her out. Best to keep her in storage here.

Then I turn to talk to the obvious woman who has been staring at me the whole time I've been in this hallway.

BWP20150810023104.jpg

Nikita.jpeg Kill you? No, no nothing like that. The reason that I've been looking for you is because I would like to join you and help you out. I owe you for destroying Section and freeing me from that evil organization. So can I join you?

BRKVQ.jpg I could use someone of your skill in my group. You may join me.

Nikita.jpeg Thank you for letting me join with you, Syvishtar.

BRKVQ.jpg Good to have you with us. Let's go.

The ranks of the Golden Company are overflowing!

BWP20150810023339.jpg

Now is as good at time as any to get the refugees out of Shaundakul's Sanctuary. I tell Willie and Lester to go get some drinks, then teleport there.

BWP20150810024024.jpg

Now, just to go back to the Copper Coronet and let them free...

BWP20150810024024.jpg

BWP20150810024148.jpg

BWP20150810024206.jpg

Then, curious, I take the door opposite the brothel to see what other entertainments there are in this establishment.

BWP20150810024236.jpg

BWP20150810024314.jpg

Well, okay then!

BWP20150810024443.jpg

Frankie.jpeg Better than that! Here we have the very best in live entertainment! Actual combat between man and beast, presented for your viewing pleasure!

Frankie.jpeg Witness the Coronet's own gladiators fight for their lives in the pit! Feel free to join the nobles in the viewing balcony above, my Lord.

BRKVQ.jpg Gladiators? There are people willing to risk their lives in this pit of yours?

Frankie.jpeg Willing or unwilling, it makes little difference. The gladiators fight to amuse our clientele... I'm sure you'll agree they put on an excellent show!

BRKVQ.jpg You mean that they're slaves.

Frankie.jpeg Slavery is such a harsh word, my Lord. Here, we think of them as purchased employees... and an excellent source of entertainment. Go on in and witness it for yourself!

BRKVQ.jpg Isn't slavery and this sort of barbarism illegal?

Frankie.jpeg The legalities are such a technicality... the amusements are here for your enjoyment. Let Lehtinan and his staff worry about such matters as legality.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. When is the next fight?

Frankie.jpeg I understand there is a match ready to be underway very soon! Go on in, my Lord, and see for yourself!

BRKVQ.jpg I'll be on my way, then.

Frankie.jpeg As you wish, my Lord. Enjoy!

BWP20150810025021.jpg

Announcer.jpeg I trust all bets have been placed. Very well! BEGIN!

BWP20150810025137.jpg

Announcer.jpeg You will fight because you are a slave and you have been told to fight! Refuse and be devoured for the amusement of our guests!

They let some kind of troll thing into the arena with him. I watch with bated breath.

BWP20150810025406.jpg

The half-orc manages to kill it! Then some bouncers enter into the arena as well.

BWP20150810025455.jpg

Uldar.jpeg Curse you! You forced me to kill this poor beast to quench your lust for bloodshed! (The gladiator raises his axe menacingly at the guards.)

Bouncer.jpeg Calm down, greenskin! Don't forget about the children! You may not care about your own life, but think about theirs!

Bouncer.jpeg Move along! Move back to your cell. We have to clear the pit for the next match.

That was... quite dramatic.

#1477 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

I look around me at my other fellow onlookers.

BWP20150810025651.jpg

BWP20150810025720.jpg

BWP20150810025743.jpg

Arath.jpeg Well that's a little obvious. You don't have a tankard in your hand or the requisite food stains, and you don't look like you were freshly scraped off the street.

Arath.jpeg Are you enjoying the festivities? I thought that last match was particularly enthralling. The height difference was a treat, if nothing else.

BRKVQ.jpg I think what goes on here is disgusting.

Arath.jpeg You're not the only one, but I wouldn't say that so loudly if I was you. Lehtinan's guards will throw you out as soon as look at you. He does like to keep this quiet, as you might understand.

Arath.jpeg I'm Arath, by the way.

BRKVQ.jpg I'm Syvishtar, savior of the Sword Coast.

Arath.jpeg A pleasure to meet you, Syvishtar. Shame about the location.

Arath.jpeg You look terribly capable, if you don't mind me saying so. Very... prepared.

Arath.jpeg Would you be averse to an exchange of services? It just so happens I'm in a bit of a bind, and I could use the help of someone so obviously trained in the arts of battle.

BRKVQ.jpg What are you trying to do?

Arath.jpeg The owner of this establishment, Lehtinan, deals extensively in the slave trade, as you may have noticed. I'm trying to cause him some trouble.

Arath.jpeg The slaves here are bought and forced to fight innocent animals and other creatures for the amusement of the scum that frequent this place. There are women and children in cells here, Syvishtar. It has to stop.

Arath.jpeg Will you help me?

I cannot abide the idea of slavery.

BRKVQ.jpg Any enemy of the slave trade is a friend of mine.

Arath.jpeg Good. Alright, from what I understand, the slaves are kept in cells out the back. We just have to find a way in. We'll have to fight any guards there, but once we've started freeing the slaves, they'll help us fight.

Arath.jpeg I can either come with you or I can wait further out and help the slaves take the other guards out. It's up to you.

BRKVQ.jpg Come with me, we'll have a better chance that way.

Arath.jpeg Let's find our way to the back, then.

Gameplay note: Arath is an Avenger druid.

BWP20150810030558.jpg

BWP20150810055450.jpg

Who else should we take with us on this mission of liberation? I ponder this as we make our way into the main area of the Copper Coronet again. Nikita, however, ponders me.

BWP20150810030718.jpg

Nikita.jpeg Raised in a library? I would guess you learned a lot while you were there.

BRKVQ.jpg I never listened in my lessons. They were pretty boring.

Nikita.jpeg Well, I hope that is not a trait you still have Syvishtar. Ignorance is not bliss. It may get you into trouble.

In the center of the room, closer to the fire, another group of adventurers stands together.

BWP20150810031003.jpg

Durnkrag.jpeg Lord Thaddeus Leoncourt of Baldur's Gate has recently had one of his possessions stolen. He didn't say what was taken, but it must be something of great value, since he is offering a substantial reward for its return.

Durnkrag.jpeg We've tracked the culprit to Amn, but the trail's gone cold. We know that he was a Shadow Thief, and that he had a deal to unload the goods with one of the local fences, but we could not learn more - Shadow Thieves do not like being questioned, and we do not have any other means of contact with them.

Durnkrag.jpeg Except for Castor here, but for some odd reason, he wouldn't even come close to their building.

Castor.jpeg Don't ask.

Durnkrag.jpeg Yes, well, all we know is the fence's name: Grudin. He should be somewhere around the docks or the slums, but we're having troubles locating him. If you could find this man and help us discover the whereabouts of Lord Leoncourt's stolen item, we'd be happy to split the reward with you. But first you have to find Grudin. Return here when you have some news.

BRKVQ.jpg It's a deal. Any idea where I should start looking for this man?

Durnkrag.jpeg I would ask around. The Shadow Thieves rule the docks, so their operation is centered there. But Grudin could be here, in the slums, as well. I do not think he operates during the day, though.

Durnkrag.jpeg Good luck. Talk to me again if you find anything new.

Sure thing man. Hope there's good money involved in this. Ok, talk to you later, and who is this sailor behind me?

BWP20150810031556.jpg

tarin.jpg I thought so. Are you mercenaries or adventurers?

BRKVQ.jpg Is there a difference? We accept a variety of tasks, receive payment, and we also look for adventure.

tarin.jpg I have something here, just for tired mercenaries and adventurers!

BRKVQ.jpg What is it?

tarin.jpg Take a look yourself!

He has different kinds of beer and wine.

BWP20150810031849.jpg

#1478 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 08:39 PM

Gameplay note: Hey, at least he's not another recruitable NPC. I don't know how many more of those I can take!

Next to him, a mysterious gentleman scowls.

BWP20150810032003.jpg

adario-kalvaras.jpeg Information on what? I am not regular to these areas and am just passing through on business.

BRKVQ.jpg I need to find a way to make some coin. Would you be able to help me in that area, or else give me any advice on earning quick cash?

adario-kalvaras.jpeg I am not that kind of petty thief.

BRKVQ.jpg Oh, you are a thief, then. I figured you would know about making a quick copper in a city as large as this.

adario-kalvaras.jpeg I make my money in large amounts, the perks of being a contract assassin. Even an assassin needs to come to dumps in order to get the job done.

BRKVQ.jpg You are looking for a target?

adario-kalvaras.jpeg I have already told you too much, now be off.

BRKVQ.jpg Wait, I think we can aid each other. You know about procuring funds, as well as the advantage of deadly stealth.

adario-kalvaras.jpeg That does not aid me in the slightest, only you.

BRKVQ.jpg How well do you think you will last in this city on your own? This is the Shadow Thieves' domain and they will not take kindly to a lone assassin poking his nose in.

adario-kalvaras.jpeg What's your point?

BRKVQ.jpg Travel with me. Together we can achieve both of our goals. You will help me and I will help you.

adario-kalvaras.jpeg Very well, I accept your help, traveller. I am Adario Kalvaras... I am sure the name rings a bell.

BRKVQ.jpg Greetings Adario Kalvaras. I am afraid the name rings no bell, but I am not from around here.

adario-kalvaras.jpeg Me neither. I have travelled far from the South for this task... and I shall get the job done.

BRKVQ.jpg I should tell you first, perhaps, that I seek to rescue an old friend who is being held hostage by the Cowled Wizards. There may be significant risk.

adario-kalvaras.jpeg Allies can be a good thing, though you show weakness for friends. Either way I gain, so, very well!

BRKVQ.jpg Alright, let's go.

Gameplay note: Adario Kalvaras is an assassin.

BWP20150810032703.jpg

Then we finally turn to the elephant in the room - Lord Jierdan.

BWP20150810032801.jpg

Gameplay note: I think it is an extra-sneaky move for them to use the same voice actor for this guy as for the narrator. It makes you trust him even more!

Lord-Jierdan-Firkraag.jpeg Word has come to me of your actions. I see you as capable and headstrong, with the ability to handle what e'er is thrown at you. Just the type of creature that I am looking for.

BRKVQ.jpg You have done your research well. What do you need of me?

Lord-Jierdan-Firkraag.jpeg Certainly you understand that these are dangerous times, and that extreme measures are often called for. That is why I have need of you.

Lord-Jierdan-Firkraag.jpeg I am Lord of a community outside Athkatla, and while I provide for my people as best that I can, there are some things I cannot do. Battle is not my strong point.

Lord-Jierdan-Firkraag.jpeg There are marauders, horrid ogres and trolls, that must be destroyed with fire or they regenerate. I need a firm hand to push them back. I need you, Syvishtar.

Lord-Jierdan-Firkraag.jpeg I offer a grand sum, worthy of a man of your stature. I offer 10,000 gold if you can free my land of this scourge. It is a fortune, you will agree.

BRKVQ.jpg Why me and not some other company? You could have anyone at that price.

Lord-Jierdan-Firkraag.jpeg Ah, but you would not lump yourself together with common mercenaries, would you? No, I require someone with finesse and skill, as well as strength. You are ideal.

Lord-Jierdan-Firkraag.jpeg I have no doubt your serivce will be exemplary. If all goes wel, we shall all receive exactly what we deserve. My lands are on your map; the Windspear Hills await.

Oh wow! What a coincidence! I need to go to the Windspear Hills!

Gameplay note: I am reasonably certain that I've scooped up all the NPCs here in the Copper Coronet. And, after long typing, I've updated all of their details in the Chapter of the Heroes. We're going to have a party vote! But, of course, we also need to vote on what to do next. Where should we go?

BWP20150810034103.jpg

Where should we go?

Docks District: We need to track down that magic dog. And Grudin? And stop by Jaheira and Kachiko/Yoshimo. Say hi.
Waukeen's Promenade: We barely got to look around that place. It was so busy! We should go back.
Bridge District: We like bridges. And districts. And exploring!
Temple District: We have heard that Athkatla's temples are second to none!
Gaveyard District: We want to check up on Frennedan.
Slums: We should stay here and take care of business, if ya know what I mean.
Government District: We should check up on those people that the kid told us to check up on.
City Gates, and beyond: Screw this city, let's be off! To Nalia's Keep and the Windspear Hills!

And, of course, Who should be in the party? The rules are the same as always - each person gets 5 votes that they can use to vote for or against any character being in the party. Please check the new and updated Chapter of the Heroes for the comprehensive details on all 25 characters. Please note that character and portrait changes can be voted on if the characters get into the main party. There's just an overwhelming number of characters now, so we have to take class changes slow.

#1479 serialk

serialk
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:04 AM

To the slums. The slavery must be washed out with slavers' blood. Everyone involved needs to be murdered slowly tortured to death righteously punished. Those "noble" spectators also need to die, preferably by using stealth. But if guards will try to protect them, so be it. All government is evil anyway. If it'll hurt my "reputation", so be it. These people must pay.

Let's bring  Lester, Moddie, Yoshimo and Kachiko to this noble quest. Also Dar, if we can locate him.

#1480 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:19 AM

It's crazy how many people want to be part of the "Golden Company" in the Copper Coronet alone. If this continues you'll be ready to storm Spellhold, Suldanesselar or Hell itself with an army of recruits in no time. (The 10pp mod for GemRB would come in really handy now.)

And now to the polls...

Where to go?
Stay in the Slums and rescue the slaves while you're there. Afterwards you could take care of Nalia's problems.

Who should be in the party?
+3 Yoshimo and Kachiko Despite his flaws he is nice guy and a good replacement for Imoen.
+2 Chloe Just to see how much she butts into other people's conversations.
The golem would be an interesting choice as well, but I'd save him for magic-heavy battles.

Edited by Argent77, 10 August 2015 - 02:19 AM.