Photo

Syvishtar's Journal

• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#1441 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:54 PM

Its called AzenMOD. I believe this is the most recent thread about it: http://www.shsforums...od-v5-released/

#1442 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

So its got this Time Guardian and also an improved fight in Trademeet. Interesting.

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1443 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:36 AM

Just finished reading your whole story up to now. This is one epic adventure. I can't wait to see how much chaos Syvishtar (and company) will cause in SoA and ToB. :new_thumbs:

Concerning Chloe, I'm voting 1 and would give Worgas the boot, just to see how much Mary-Sue Chloe really is. I've always given her (and Saerileth) a wide berth in my runs.

Btw, if you're still willing to install new mods, then take a look at my Djinni Companion mod. It provides you with yet another companion who tags along with your party without actually joining it. The mod only kicks in after visiting Trademeet/Druid Grove, so it can be installed pretty late in the game. (And, of course, I'd really like to see how it works in an installation as big as yours. :D )

#1444 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:21 PM

that mod sounds interesting, and of course i'm interested in installing all mods. But can I install it after doing a big world project install and doing the generalized biffing that happens at the end?

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1445 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 01:53 AM

If Generalized Biffing is your last installed mod in the list (not counting widescreen or gui mods) and you haven't removed their backup files yet, then you can uninstall it, install the Djinni Companion and run Generalized Biffing (and widescreen and gui) again. Otherwise, you can install mods even after biffing, but it may slow down the game if there are too many files (usually 1000+) in the override folder. You might want to make a backup just in case, regardless.

#1446 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

Ok, I'll see if I can install it.

#1447 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

BWP20150717003532.jpg

?? ??????, ????

BWP20150717002920.jpg

This woman is impressive! I definitely need her on my good side.

BWP20150717002945.jpg

Chloe.jpeg We can discuss the naure of that relationship later, if you want, but for now I would ask that we investigate this. A pocket dimension like this takes considerable power, and I would know what it's purpose is. Likely there is some manner of treasure or sensitive information that you would be interested in. Regardless, let us investigate, shall we?

Yes, lets! Of course! Just, there's one small issue... here she is now.

BWP20150717003125.jpg

ciOMn.jpg I do not wish to leave your... company. Certainly you must still want me around? You have said as much, even if not using those exact words.

BRKVQ.jpg You are mistaken. This is the best move for the group as a whole, and I will not be swayed.

ciOMn.jpg I see. If this is the way it shall be... I will probably be in Athkatla, near the Harper hold. You may seek me there, though it matters little.

Uhh... okay then. I'm sure you'll have some free time to meet up for drinks with Mae'Var near Harper's Hold, too. Is he a Harper? Are they after me?

But she is gone.

I loot the bodies of the fallen thieves, but they don't have much.

BWP20150717003638.jpg

Chloe refuses to wear any armor. She is just here in a short, blue dress.

BWP20150717003722.jpg

Lets hope that works out for her, here in this pocket plane of the dimension of Air?

BWP20150717003827.jpg

I fight the urge to jump.

There are some mephits here, and one of them seems to call another into existence. Cute.

BWP20150717003908.jpg

Their deaths leave us minorly annoyed.

BWP20150717003953.jpg

We go down the central walkway to a big platform.

BWP20150717004331.jpg

One of the mephits casts Aganazzar's Scorcher on me. I know the drill. I run to try to pass other mephits through the beam.

BWP20150717004449.jpg

The battle takes place according to the rhythm of a vast, loud machine beneath us. The sounds are almost hypnotic.

BWP20150717004540.jpg

This platform has a fire in the center and a huge sail above it. Is this fire keeping the place aloft?

BWP20150717004712.jpg

On a small auxiliary platform, separated from everything else by stairs, lies a lamp on a pillow. Here, in this airy place?

BWP20150717004818.jpg

Is it a magic lamp? I bet its a magic lamp. I've always wanted to find a magic lamp! I run up there and rub it.

It works!

BWP20150717004931.jpg

I prepare my little speech to tell about my parenthood, when Chloe speaks up.

Chloe.jpeg I am not surprised. What is a genie of the plane of air doing in such a place as this?

malaaq.jpg The one who has captured me is the same as had captured your comrades. He has me trapped here to guard some of his tresure. I sense that one of these items belongs to your companion here.

Is he talking about me?

BRKVQ.jpg You have something that belongs to me?

malaaq.jpg I do. A thing of power that still carries a hint of your essence. There is something odd about the signature that you leave on this item. No matter.

BRKVQ.jpg Can you give it to me?

malaaq.jpg If I had the power to give you your weapon, I would, but the force that binds me is strong. As long as I am trapped within this flask, I am within the mage's power.

malaaq.jpg If you can secure the means of my release, I will give you your weapon.

BRKVQ.jpg That sounds like a fair trade. How do I secure the means of your release?

malaaq.jpg This flask that I am bound in is a creation of magic. It is unbreakable as long as it remains apart from its twin, the real flask.

malaaq.jpg You must find the original flask and bring it back to me. Once it is within my grasp, I can break the enchantment and be freed.

Chloe.jpeg Though I can't force you to help release this genie, I do think it is advantageous for you to anyway, since he has something of yours that he can't give you while he is bound. It is up to you, however.

Uhh... okay Chloe. It was still up to me even without your input, you know. YOU joined up with ME.

BRKVQ.jpg Where can I find this flask?

malaaq.jpg He will keep the flask close to himself. The master would not risk it falling into other hands. Perhaps he keeps it in his chambers, or with his dryad concubines. Perhaps the golems have it.

malaaq.jpg I cannot pinpoint its location from another Plane. You shall have to search or it. Return to me when you have found it and we shall exchange my freedom for your weapon.

Well, okay then. I'm always up for any excuse to talk to dryads!

We stroll out of the elemental plane of air ...

BWP20150718151920.jpg

like it ain't no thang.

BWP20150718151938.jpg

Then its back to the underground grove of trees...

BWP20150718152140.jpg

Cania.jpeg We do have such a flask. If you will agree to take our acorns to the Fairy Queen we will give it to you.

Elyme.jpeg If you take the acorns fo the Fairy Queen then she can regrow our trees and free us! She lives in the south end of the Windspear hills! Will you do this for us?

BRKVQ.jpg I will take your acorns to this Fairy Queen in exchange for the flask.

Elyme.jpeg Thank you! Here is the flask.

Cania.jpeg But he has taken the acorns. He knows of our plans. It amuses him.

Elyme.jpeg He has left our acorns with Ilyich. Ilyich is mean!

Yes, ladies. We, uh, we discussed this already. I agree once again to help them. Dryads aren't so good on the memory I guess. But they did give me the real flask.

BWP20150718152629.jpg

Then it's back to the djinni.

BWP20150718152820.jpg

malaaq.jpg At last! I am free! Here is your item, fleshling. You are an honorable person and I feel that I must warn you. Keep away from the master!

malaaq.jpg He will torture you for escaping and kill you for freeing his djinni slave. Escape from his lair quickly if you value your life. Farewell!

Who IS this guy that he hires duergar, makes so many golems, imprisons so many people, and employs so many djinn?!

I look at what the now-free djinni has given me.

#1448 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

It is Sarevok's sword.

BWP20150718153134.jpg

This thing. Twice I have defeated my brother, and twice received his sword. I don't think I could give this up. I will let Minsc use it for now, but I'm getting it back from him if he ever leaves.

BWP20150718153515.jpg

Before I leave, I give the side walkway a look. It branches to the left. You know, there was something strange about the end of that thing...

BWP20150718153613.jpg

As we walk closer, reality seems to bend around me, and once again I feel myself being thrown far across the Planes. Far across to...

BWP20150718153733.jpg

earth-elemental.jpg First appeared some kind of interplanar vortex, straight into the Plane of Air, which started pumping air into this pocket here. Then some kind of two-legged cat came here to guard it, and then, as if that wasn't enough, an air elemental squad came through! I don't know what they all want from this place, but I don't like it.

BRKVQ.jpg I think I can help with some of those problems.

earth-elemental.jpg Ah, superb. Just do something with those sons of clouds, and maybe everything will come together. Oh, and I wouldn't sweat my eyegems if something happened to the cat, either.

Soooooo, where are we?

BWP20150718154052.jpg

Elemental Plane of Earth? I guess? This mage has an impressive set of resources. I... I didn't even know that this kind of power was possible. This is beyond anything I was ever taught or read about in Candlekeep.

A group of earth elemental stands idly by beyond us. They don't seem to care about us all that much.

BWP20150718154255.jpg

There are also little earth mephits standing around too.

BWP20150718154414.jpg

I honestly have no idea what to do or where to go, but if this is the Freakin' Elemental Plane of Freakin' Earth, I'm going exploring!

We wander through a lot of brown, rocky areas.

BWP20150718154558.jpg

And then eventually we find some air elementals that seem quite out of place.

BWP20150718154647.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg I don't want to come off as rude, but is this a proper place for an air elemental?

greater-air-elemental.jpg Believe me, we didn't appear here because we wanted to. That would be absolutely impossible, our planes are opposite each other, you need immense power to open a vortex. And thanks to that damn rakshasa we can't even try to go back.

BRKVQ.jpg Maybe I should find him and persuade him to help you?

greater-air-elemental.jpg If you manage to do that, I'll be very grateful. We don't have much, but I think you'll accept a magic book I managed to snag from the earthies. I think that'll be adequate.

BRKVQ.jpg Fine by me. I'll be back once I've talked to this guardian.

greater-air-elemental.jpg Much thanks. I hope I'll be flying through the infinite sky before soon!

There are about four air elementals here, just hanging out.

BWP20150718155702.jpg

One seems ... sad?

BWP20150718155729.jpg

Elementals get married?

Others are in pretty high spirits about the whole situation.

BWP20150718155835.jpg

So the "two-legged cat" is a rakshasa. I've heard something about them before...

Chloe seems strangely quiet. Is she scared of the Plane of Earth?

After much wandering, we seemingly stumble into the kitty we're looking for.

BWP20150718160247.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg You are working for the one who kept me prisoner? Tell me more, and maybe I'll spare your life!

maharajah.jpg Hah! YOU killing ME? With your spindly weapon, after weeks of torture? Don't make me laugh.

maharajah.jpg I'll take great pleasure in watching you squirm through the dungeon, slowly losing strength and will to live. There's no other exit from here, it's a one-way vortex! I might as well not be here.

Then he just teleports away.

BWP20150718160611.jpg

One way?!? I don't believe that. I go back to the place I came in from...

BWP20150718160732.jpg

and walk straight back out of there.

BWP20150718160714.jpg

Ha! Lying catnip-eater. I'll fix him! Still intrigued, I go back in and see what can be done about elemental problems. I talk to the earth elemental again.

BWP20150718161449.jpg

earth-elemental.jpg If it's any help, I suggest going opposite to the one you came here from. You're not gonna get anywhere from here, unless you've got a pickaxe hidden there somewhere.

What? So I guess its just a choice between killing earth elementals and killing air elementals. But I'm really not in the mood to kill anything that isn't trying to kill me first. I'm more of in an escaping mood. Is there anything else that can be said?

BWP20150718161734.jpg

greater-air-elemental.jpg ...really? That's impossible. Surely you must be bluffing. We can't just be stuck in here forever!

greater-air-elemental.jpg But then again he had no reason to lie.

greater-air-elemental.jpg Leave us alone. We have to find some breach in the walls, through which maybe we'll find some who'll be able to help us.

greater-air-elemental.jpg Take this. We were going to con you just before leaving this rock, but there's just no point now.

They give me a... magical book!

BWP20150718162020.jpg

What's this do? I try to ask him, but he's onto something else already.

greater-air-elemental.jpg It's not complicated. Find the guardian of the vortex, kill him, and let us go back to the Plane of Air.

BRKVQ.jpg I think I met this "guardian" already. He said you better not hold hope for coming back home.

greater-air-elemental.jpg ...really? That's impossible. Surely you must be bluffing. We can't just be stuck in here forever!

greater-air-elemental.jpg But then again he had no reason to lie.

greater-air-elemental.jpg Leave us alone. We have to find some breach in the walls, through which maybe we'll find some who'll be able to help us.

So the air elemental were going to con me, but gave up on it. They don't want to be here, the earth elementals want them gone, and the Rakshasa has teleported out. The only way left is violence. But...

But I LIKE elementals. They're great servants. I don't want to kill them unless I have to. I'm going to have to search for this Maharajah fellow, try to make him talk again.

But, you know, if this really is a different plane of existence and no longer in Irenicus' lair, there's something I want to try...

BWP20150720225431.jpg

YESSSSSSS!!!! Jailbreak!! Everybody's gettin' out!

Gameplay note: You may have missed it, but last update I tried to use the Portal Stone within Irenicus' sanctuary, and its magic was blocked. But it ain't blocked on the Plane of Earth!

BWP20150720225440.jpg

I tell everybody to get some rest. Then, I begin Operation Rescue Strangers.

#1449 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

First step, back to Irenicus' dungeon.

BWP20150720225737.jpg

BWP20150720225856.jpg

By the way, isn't there something underneath... yes.

BWP20150720225925.jpg

A scroll of Conjure Air Elemental.

Conjure-Air-Elemental.jpg

This is high-level magic. This isn't like what I've done before. Previously, I've summoned tiny little Lesser Air Elementals. But this is the real deal.

I copy the spell into my spellbook. I'll definitely be using that guy. And hey, I'd like to think the ones I summon will be the ones trapped in the Plane of Earth. I'll rescue them!

BWP20150720230329.jpg

Just like I'm rescuing Raziel, Moddie, and Silverstar right now.

BWP20150720230458.jpg

Just a second Breagar. Hold onto yer arm there buddy.

BWP20150720230550.jpg

BWP20150720230638.jpg

BWP20150720230655.jpg

BWP20150720230711.jpg

BWP20150720230803.jpg

Just checking...

BWP20150720230843.jpg

Nope. Stone doesn't work even in this pocket plane of air. Only works in the Plane of Earth.

BWP20150720230946.jpg

BWP20150720231022.jpg

BWP20150720231037.jpg

BWP20150720231055.jpg

Bye guys! Don't worry I'll be back soon!

BWP20150720231120.jpg

At least this portal to the Elemental Plane of Earth is good for something.

What the Weave, Breagar. Just hold your horses!

BWP20150720231240.jpg

BWP20150720231319.jpg

Breagar.jpeg Hrmpf.

BWP20150720231428.jpg

BWP20150720231454.jpg

2RuK7.jpg Minsc and Boo and you! There can be no greater a team in all the Realms!

Right. Totally. Ok, with my party restored and the extras safely tucked away in Shaundakul's Sanctuary, there is really only one more place for us to go.

BWP20150720232009.jpg

One more portal.

Ooh, vase!

BWP20150720232159.jpg

I give the Armor scroll to Worgas. He successfully copies it down. Good job, buddy! You're doing great!

Then, with great trepidation, I cautiously touch the portal here.

BWP20150720232319.jpg

It does nothing. I take out the Portal Key, and touch it again. This time there is a shimmer, and shake, and we are violently teleported!

BWP20150720232422.jpg

Chloe.jpeg I don't like the looks of this guy. I say we either kill him or leave him here to rot.

Worgas.jpeg Bounty Hunter, bad dog. Away with you, BAD DOG!

Yoshimo.jpeg Calm down, elven one. I have no hostile intentions towards you.

2RuK7.jpg We serve no evil mages, no sir! But Boo looks upon you with suspicion, little man. How is it you come to be here? Never have I seen Boo's whiskers quiver so!

Yoshimo.jpeg I am not sure how I came to be here... like you, I suspect. I have been trying to find my way out, but I was wounded in my attempt to do so.

BRKVQ.jpg Do you know a way out of this place?

Yoshimo.jpeg I do not know a way to escape this place. Perhaps we could search for this exit together.

BRKVQ.jpg I would welcome another companion, but I have a few questions first.

Yoshimo.jpeg What do you need to know?

BRKVQ.jpg How did you get here?

Yoshimo.jpeg It is actually quite uh... embarrassing. My profession does not leave itself open to those who are not wary, yet, somehow I was caught unaware.

Yoshimo.jpeg I came to Athkatla years ago from Kara-Tur to seek my fortune. At some point, I went to bed in my room at the Copper Coronet and I awoke in a strange room with a very sore head.

Yoshimo.jpeg I do not know how long I was there before awaking.

BRKVQ.jpg Do you think that we are in Athkatla?

Yoshimo.jpeg I am unsure. I may have been drugged when I was brought here. I may have been unconscious... either way, I do not know how long.

Yoshimo.jpeg It if was the former, this place could be anywhere. If it was the latter, then I don't imagine that I could have traveled very far without noticing.

BRKVQ.jpg Then you too know the hardship of being set into a maze like a helpless hamster! We are comrades in peril! Boo asks what you propose we do next, little man.

BWP20150720233439.jpg

Gameplay note: And... here is Yoshimo!

BWP20150721000811.jpg

Gameplay note: He is a dual-clased fighter 8/thief 13. He will not advance further in fighter, but will in thief.

BWP20150721000839.jpg

Gameplay note: He comes with a decent set of equipment already, including a lucky katana!

BWP20150721001023.jpg

BWP20150721001052.jpg

Gameplay note: It is important to note that a very large mod, Tortured Souls, has been built around Yoshimo, and a mod NPC, Kachiko, will come looking for him at the end of this dungeon. So what do we say to him? Please choose between 2 and 3. 1 is just the questions that we have already asked him. And, also, please choose who he shall replace, if it is the case that we replace someone with him.

Also, I guess, do you guys think I should go back and rough up some elementals? Yes or No. And if so, which side should I take? The Free Republic of Air or Glorious Earthistan?

#1450 serialk

serialk
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

3, let´s get rid of Breagar. That Yoshimo fellow seems to be a rather resourceful character.
I wouldn´t bother the elementals if I were me, y´know-what-I´m-saying.

Edited by serialk, 20 July 2015 - 09:31 AM.

#1451 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

I'd choose 3. He's a good stand-in for Imoen, at least for the time being. Kick out Worgas instead, he's just a gibbering version of Syvishtar. And how about a facelift for Yoshimo? With his vanilla portrait he looks more like a yakuza thug rather than the easy-going freelancer with a great sense of humor. A beard would be fine, and maybe some proper japanese hairstyle as well, such as in the version from Unfinished Business:

Spoiler

Go with Glorious Earthistan and take out the Air Elementals, they don't belong there anyway. Didn't one of them mention that by killing them you'd do them a service?

#1452 Zarrk

Zarrk
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:23 PM

3 it's obvious this gentleman is completely trustworthy. Also our hot-blooded friend Minsc holding a chaotic sword infused with a mad bhaalspawn essence could probably scout ahead the party to prevent any ambushes.(he shouldn't have any script in the dungeon)

Let's be friendly with the elementals for now and search for the Maharadja and if there is no alternative well all hail Earthistan, the air elementals are doomed anyways so give them a quick death.

Dual F8/T13 ? For some reasons I don't like it, it lock him 1 level short of GM and he lost the Bounty Hunter advantages. I know it was at least one year ago but will you allow readers to propose class changes?

#1453 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 06:27 PM

Yes, I definitely take suggestions for class and portrait changes. I just didn't do it yet in this dungeon because I wasn't sure everyone would survive it and I didn't want to invest the time into class change votes for characters that might get gibbed in a few updates. But it looks like we somehow survived all three of the gauth/otyugh fight, improved ilyich, and the sareveok refight, miraculously without anyone dying. So signs are pointing to everyone surviving Irenicus' dungeon.

Also since I spent a literal year of real-life time in Icewind Dale, I'm tempted to reinstall the BWP to 15.3. What do you guys think? Would it be worth it? I have everything installed now on a virtual machine so I would not lose anything at all. I could just clone the VM and make all changes in a new instance.

Edited by Usurper, 20 July 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#1454 Tzarnal

Tzarnal
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 11:37 PM

I'd say if you're willing to go through the trouble of getting it all working again yeah it'd probably be wroth it. I think your install fell outside of a few good improvements in load order and compatibility, also the Vecna text improvements.

As explained on SA I completed an installation ( through BWS ) recently and while I don't have all the npcs downloaded I do have a fairly coprehensive set of hard to acquire or expired mods. If you do this and need someone to put up a few files you can't get anymore let me know.

#1455 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

ok, heres how the votes look:

2. not wise .
3. pleased  ......................

replace:
Breagar     ..........
Worgas      .....
Minsc       .....

Free Republic of Air  .
Glorious Earthistan   .......
Remain Neutral        ............

So I'll get Yoshimo to join, replacing Breagar, and stay neutral in the elemental conflict for now.

And I forgot about the cambion room. Gotta go back to do that too.... in the BWP 15.3! (I upgraded over the weekend)

#1456 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

BWP20150728231012.jpg

?? ??????, ????

BWP20150720233439.jpg

As I concentrate on the face of this newcomer, I notice the outline of a leaf in his left eye. Then I notice his eye is completely made from leaf outlines, as is his cheek; his nose; his face. There is nothing in front of me, actually, but the rustling of leaves and the play light and shadow upon them. Then a strong breeze blows, and all changes before me. I whirl off into memory, shadow, and storm.

I remember/experience/see something that had already happened to me. A conversation back when I was still in a cage.

Gameplay note: Because I spent a literal actual year doing Icewind Dale, the Big World Project evolved to version 15.3 in the meantime. I always felt like I had missed out on a major shift by reinstalling version 14 of the BWP when I did, because 15 seemed to be a significant increase in quality and fixes. For instance, there were two Yoshimos in this room, both with the exact same dialog. So after delving once again into the hallowed halls of the Spellhold Studios forums, I spent the weekend reinstalling and then re-playing the Big World Project back to this point. And while I did so, I took the opportunity to add more stuff! Like this guy!

BWP20150728000728.jpg

Soothsayer.jpeg I'm just a messenger. And I'm here just to deliver you a message, nothing more.

BRKVQ.jpg A message... that is?

Soothsayer.jpeg You travel a lot, Syvishtar. It's amusing to see how you can change: your actions seem to bring you very far.

Soothsayer.jpeg (The space of a second, a shadow passes over his face. He hesitates, then starts to talk to you again.)

Soothsayer.jpeg You have changed a lot since Candlekeep. It is also rather unexpected, given the nature of your tutor.

BRKVQ.jpg Do you know me? Would you be a friend of Gorion?

Soothsayer.jpeg A "friend" isn't the right word. Let's rather say we attended the same circles at one point.

Soothsayer.jpeg But I'm not here to talk about myself. In fact, I represent important people who would like to meet you.

BRKVQ.jpg Meet me? So have you come to rescue me?

Soothsayer.jpeg As I've told you, I just came to talk to you. I'm not supposed to interfere, I don't have the power, anyway.

BRKVQ.jpg You don't have the power. But what power do you have then? To come to torment me?

Soothsayer.jpeg Your suffering made us perceive a nature we didn't know. We want to help you but we can't interfere here. The future is too cloudy, the risk too uncertain.

BRKVQ.jpg (As I wasn't lost enough...) Very well. Then? What do you have to say?

Soothsayer.jpeg Just to tell you that the Grand Sacrant wants to meet you. He told me to ask you to join him as soon as you can, if you manage to get out of here, of course.

BRKVQ.jpg Perfect... and where is this "Grand Sacrant" to be found?

Soothsayer.jpeg I can't answer you. He wouldn't tell me the place of the meeting.

BRKVQ.jpg What of you Dar? Will you take the portal with us?

Dar.jpeg Syvishtar, I am not at all sure that this is a wise thing to do. To go through this portal and not know where it will take us. We could find ourselves trapped somewhere in The Nine Hells. I need time to think on this my friend.

Better and better! And how am I supposed to find him?

Soothsayer.jpeg He wished to leave you a clue.

BRKVQ.jpg Awesome! A treasure hunting! And what did he say to you?

Soothsayer.jpeg You will find him where silence is golden.

BRKVQ.jpg And what does that mean?

Soothsayer.jpeg Think. The solution is at hand, if you take the trouble to read between the lines. Now, excuse me, but I have to go.

BRKVQ.jpg Wait...

Soothsayer.jpeg See you very soon, Syvishtar. Lastly, I hope...

The leaves rustle once more, and I remember how Dar was with us the whole way, even into the Severed Hand. How shocked he was at the teleport, just like the rest of us.

BWP20150728012023.jpg

Hrothgar never had any trouble with him at all. I don't even remember why I thought Hrothgar was a racist...

Gameplay note: The update to the latest version of the BWP fixed the dialog problems we had with Dar. So we didn't have to leave him behind after all. Also, the rest of Icewind Dale was available. I know how much you guys hated it, so I just CTRL-Jed and CTRL-Yed through everything. I'm not even sure that we accomplished anything, because we could come back to Kuldahar and leave at pretty much any time.

I remember going to a cave deep in the earth.

BWP20150728013820.jpg

Seeing up close and in person the statue from Larrel's vision.

BWP20150728014126.jpg

I remember meeting weird mages.

BWP20150728014552.jpg

Solving strange puzzles...

BWP20150728015613.jpg

And an entire freaking whale trapped in ice.

BWP20150728222641.jpg

I remembered when Dar complimented Accalia on her decision to stay.

BWP20150728024326.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg What of you Dar? Will you take the portal with us?

Dar.jpeg Syvishtar, I am not at all sure that this is a wise thing to do. To go through this portal and not know where it will take us. We could find ourselves trapped somewhere in The Nine Hells. I need time to think on this my friend.

BRKVQ.jpg Dar, we do not have the time for doubt now! I need to know that you are either with us or not!

Hrothgar.jpeg It is true Dar, I do not know where this portal may lead. All I do know is that it is a necessary step that I must take. You do have the choice as to whether you take it with us or not. I do know that Syvishtar has come to regard you as an ally that he can depend on, and he will sorely miss you should you decide to remain here.

Dar.jpeg This is all that I have ever known Syvishtar. You have seen so much more than I, and a decision such as this comes easy for one who hsa had to make so many. I hesitate not through mistrust, more through fear of change. If I step through this portal, I know that my life will never be the same.

BRKVQ.jpg Life is about change, Dar, and who is to say that yours will not change for the better if you take this step? You say that you are looking for a place to call home. Maybe you will find such a place through this portal. Think on it, Dar.

Dar.jpeg Your words make me ashamed that I ever doubted the sense of your decision, Syvishtar. I will take this step with you and put my fate in the hands of Ilmater. Let us go through this portal and we will face whatever is on the other side together, my friend.

BRKVQ.jpg Then let us enter the portal together. It has been a strange road to freedom, but we are all safe and that is what matters.

Gameplay note: This version of the conversation lacks Hrothgar going all "doomsday warning" on us. I'm not sure, but does this mean that perhaps we are not under Hrothgar's deadman's doomsday switch anymore?

Why did I ever think his name was Breagar?

Gameplay note: One drawback to this new installation of the game is that Breagar is now gone. I don't know why exactly, maybe his translation can't keep up with changes to the file. So we lose Breagar, and gain Dar.

I contemplate the strangeness of it all as I finger the ring on my left hand, the Luo ring.

BWP20150728031632.jpg

Gameplay note: This was in my inventory when I started this new game. Maybe its related to the Soothsayer?

Touching the ring makes the leaves solidify again into a semblance of reality.

#1457 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:40 PM

The expectant face of Yoshimo again emerges from the interplay of light and shadow upon them. Its almost as if he is real.

BWP20150728230148.jpg

Yoshimo.jpeg I shall be happy to lend my blade to your cause. There are two things that I have discovered about this place that may help us escape.

Worgas.jpeg Pretties piled two things discovered to help us escape. Number one, kill you! Number two, kill you!

Yoshimo.jpeg Lower your hands elf, I am a man of truth. As I said, I am in the same boat as you, imprisoned in this unholy place.

Yoshimo.jpeg In the next chamber beyond the one in which we stand, four portals lie. Each of these portals releases a little, cackling fiend which tries to kill me.

Yoshimo.jpeg These little beasties keep coming in through the portals. Perhaps if the portals are destroyed, one could defeat the beasts that have already come through.

Yoshimo.jpeg Shortly beyond that chamber there is a hallway that contains several wands mounted in pedestals. They blast all that walk before them.

Yoshimo.jpeg I have noticed that each wand is locked into the pedestal and could be removed if one had the proper key. I know not where these keys are. Let us begin!

Gameplay note: Yoshimo is back to being a Bounty Hunter in this version of the game.

BWP20150728230911.jpg

We decide to follow Yoshimo's advice. We open the door to next room, and sure enough there are a lot of mephits.

BWP20150728232006.jpg

They swarm us, but do a whole lot of nothing.

BWP20150728232138.jpg

The next room is indeed full of multi-colored portals.

BWP20150728232239.jpg

Some of the mephits try to bring reinforcements, but fail.

BWP20150728232408.jpg

When did we get a Fire Elemental?

BWP20150728232857.jpg

Looting the room gives us a few potions and 3 more keys.

BWP20150728234323.jpg

Also, it gives Worgas Mislead. It is his first level 6 spell!

BWP20150728234435.jpg

I also notice a body that has been experimented upon.

BWP20150728234507.jpg

Gross. Sucks to be him.

We have two doors to choose from here. I go for the nearest one.

BWP20150728234557.jpg

Great. Another bottle room. But this one has two people fighting in it. One is talking about the Shadow Thieves?

BWP20150728234638.jpg

The other one completely obliterates the shadow thief. Then she turns to me.

BWP20150728234745.jpg

Escaped-Clone.jpeg Do for me? Do for me?! After all that thou hast already done!

Uhhh...

Escaped-Clone.jpeg Thou hast created me in HER image, but I am not HER! I am not! And I shall ne'er let thee touch me again! No more death to rise again not her!

Ok, ok, by the Weave woman just let me explain...

But too late. She begins to cast a spell.

BWP20150728235004.jpg

She is dead before I know it. Chloe gets the deathblow.

BWP20150728235104.jpg

These jars are different. These jars all have a similarity...

BWP20150728235136.jpg

All clones of the same woman, and one got out? That's tragic and horrifying.

We go back to the mephit room, and look at them gives me an idea.

BWP20150728235446.jpg

I have forgotten to explore a room in the previous level!

I make it over there, and see that there is a kind of demon spawn standing in one corner. We attack!

BWP20150728235656.jpg

He's actually not that big of a deal.

BWP20150728235854.jpg

I just wonder what the other one is doing in a globe of magic.

BWP20150728235937.jpg

The cambion also dropped a masterwork scimitar and... his spellbook!

BWP20150729000051.jpg

Gameplay note: New mod. Magic-using NPCs have a percentage chance to drop their spellbook full of the spells they know when they die. Neat!

Since I already know Haste and Slow, I give the book to Worgas. He studies it for a while and manages to learn Slow.

BWP20150729000342.jpg

Then I examine this machine. It looks like...

BWP20150729000429.jpg

Is this some kind of demon-summoning machine? How bizarre! Of course, I turn the lever.

BWP20150729000541.jpg

The demon just teleported away? Disappointing. If only I knew how to make one of these things for my own.

We turn to go when the Cambion teleports back in!

BWP20150729000654.jpg

He gets in some good hits on Chloe, forcing her to drink a healing potion, but then he is down.

BWP20150729000736.jpg

This demon drops the same as the other. I give its book to Worgas too.

BWP20150729000848.jpg

No success.

So, we return to the site of our great mephit slaughter. Some of them dropped potions, a kind that I have never seen before!

BWP20150729001242.jpg

These are going to come in veeeery handy.

Then we go through the far door, and stumble across another thief fighting a mephit.

BWP20150729001554.jpg

Oh you little bastard!

#1458 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:41 PM

We easily kill it, but then the assassin attacks us too!

BWP20150729001643.jpg

Further down the hallway are more duergar.

BWP20150729001919.jpg

The Weave gives me a few extra claws for this fight.

BWP20150729002101.jpg

We defeat them, but Chloe is looking pretty beat up. We don't have a healer, so I give her and Wulfgar some of those new potions I found. It heals them both right up!

BWP20150729002319.jpg

There are a few side effects...

BWP20150729002407.jpg

but nothing she can't handle. After all, we're both divine!

At the end of the hall there is a simple doorway. We brace for anything, and open it. Wraith!

BWP20150729002556.jpg

We fall back and let the summons handle it. Zarix does so with apomb!

BWP20150729002659.jpg

I let Wulfgar and some of the gnolls go first. There is a narrow bridge over some immense... metal thing.

BWP20150729002803.jpg

Beyond that is a room where duergar fights shadow thief.

BWP20150729002917.jpg

The shadow thief moves forward and is killed by magic missiles coming from the side!

BWP20150729003006.jpg

We let the gnolls rush the duergar. They trigger the trap too.

BWP20150729003103.jpg

We support the gnolls with ranged attacks and basically let them rush the duergar. They trigger traps but do not care.

BWP20150729003234.jpg

Then Zarix dispels an illusion right in our midst, and an assassin is revealed amongst us!

BWP20150729003322.jpg

He scarfs down another Potion of Invisibility, but this time I take care of that.

BWP20150729003432.jpg

His potions don't save him forever.

BWP20150729003602.jpg

I am starting to see the merits of this Zarix. He only has 2 Magic Missiles, but he's always on point with the True Seeing. He has our backs.

Now that we have a spare moment, I go look at the pedestals to our left.

BWP20150729003709.jpg

Ok, I think I got this...

BWP20150729003736.jpg

I don't seem to have a Wand of Magic Missile key, though.

BWP20150729004408.jpg

Crap!

I manage to take the Wand of Frost from the next pedestal, though.

BWP20150729004433.jpg

The same for the Wand of Fireballs, Monster Summmoning, Lightning, and Cloudkill.

BWP20150729004547.jpg

BWP20150729004719.jpg

I call everyone to follow me. But too many do.

BWP20150729004842.jpg

Damn Assassin! We strike back as quick as we can, but not enough to kill him.

We can't find him, so we move into the next room.

BWP20150729005052.jpg

Is that... what is that?

assassin.jpg Where is your master, fiend? We seek Irenicus. Give us the upstart and you shall survive!

Ulvaryl.jpeg Already I am dead, thief. Join me in darkness...

Gameplay note: Ahh, its such a relief to see vampires that aren't conflicted, sparkly, or moral.

assassin.jpg Enough! Kill this creature and raze the guild. Irenicus shall learn of what it is to betray the Shadow Thieves!

Ulvaryl seems to have other plans, though. With lightning speed she tears around the pillar.

BWP20150729005417.jpg

I do not like the way she moves at all, so I order the attack. Wulfgar takes her out, no problem.

BWP20150729005516.jpg

But then she turns into smoke and drifts away. And the shadow thieves attack!

BWP20150729005559.jpg

I try to cast an impromptu Dispel at whatever is going on here, but the Weave weakens me instead.

BWP20150729005656.jpg

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. I should give other mages a fair chance, I know.

That's when the assassin decides to strike again.

BWP20150729005804.jpg

This makes me angry, so I just lash out with my Divine Might. It hits the assassin!

BWP20150729005916.jpg

The Shadow Thief battlemage actually helps us out by casting Glitterdust into the general area. Thanks mage! Unfortunately Chloe kills him.

BWP20150729010000.jpg

The others die in short order. I feel a little guilty for killing the shadow thieves. They weren't out to get me, really.

Gameplay note: Our virtue is down to 6, Iniquitous.

When I search the body of the assassin, I find a potion I have never seen before. I take a closer look at it, and gasp. It is a fabled Elixir of Strength!

BWP20150729010411.jpg

On the Shadow Thief battlemage is a strangely carved rune. I have never seen anything like it before.

BWP20150729010622.jpg

Gameplay note: This is a post-character-creation rune that will allow you to further specialize your character. Multi-class cleric/thieves can use this. It is part of the Scales of Balance mod. Things just got a whole lot more intricate.

#1459 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:42 PM

As we clean up from this fight, Yoshimo seems to become chatty.

BWP20150729011215.jpg

Yoshimo.jpeg What was it like growing up there with your stepfather... Gorion, was it?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes, Gorion. It was a pleasant existence. I garnered much knowledge from the monks and scholars of the vast library housed within the citadel. Gorion was a good man who took me in when I was orphaned.

Yoshimo.jpeg Gorion was a mage, was he not? A very powerful mage?

BRKVQ.jpg Yes he was. His magic kept Sarevok from killing me outside of Candlekeep. He sacrificed himself that I might live.

Yoshimo.jpeg That was very noble of him. Why was he your stepfather? What happened to your mother?

BRKVQ.jpg I know not. She was slain or died when I was a wee child. I never knew her.

Yoshimo.jpeg I am very sorry to hear that. What was Gorion's relationship to your mother? Why did he take you in?

I start to feel a little wierded out by this train of questions.

BRKVQ.jpg Where are you going with these inquiries?

Yoshimo.jpeg It merely seems odd that a powerful mage would take on such responsibility. Maybe he saw power within you. Power that he thought should be watched.

BRKVQ.jpg I do have a unique heritage. However, Gorion was too good of a man to see me as some sort of experiment. Bhaal is dead and it is unlikely that his power lives on in his children.

Yoshimo.jpeg That is the general consensus amongst the clergy. Bhaal was once a powerful diety in Athkatla. Let us continue our travels.

I notice this room is shaped like a star, and seems almost like a tomb. What is this even for, anyways?

BWP20150729011839.jpg

I think if I keep seeing things happen without understanding what's going on much longer, I'm really going to go crazy. And what is with that periodic banging sound in the distance?

Back in the trap room, we see a large statue at the end of the hallway. Looks like it should be a god.

BWP20150729012039.jpg

I look on the statue and see that there is a ring on it. I take it off, and it is a Ring of Protection +1. Nice. I give it to Wulfgar, since he seems to need that protection.

Then the hairs on my neck rise, as if someone was walking over my grave...

BWP20150729012246.jpg

BWP20150729012253.jpg

BWP20150729012303.jpg

BWP20150729012311.jpg

BWP20150729012315.jpg

BWP20150729012328.jpg

BWP20150729012334.jpg

BWP20150729012338.jpg

BWP20150729012342.jpg

BWP20150729012348.jpg

BWP20150729012404.jpg

BWP20150729012407.jpg

BWP20150729012411.jpg

BWP20150729012418.jpg

BWP20150729012426.jpg

BWP20150729012434.jpg

BWP20150729012449.jpg

BWP20150729012453.jpg

BWP20150729012504.jpg

BWP20150729012533.jpg

BWP20150729012547.jpg

BWP20150729012550.jpg

BWP20150729012557.jpg

BWP20150729012609.jpg

I hate when that happens. Feels like something important is happening far away from you, but you don't know what it is.

There is a passageway to our right, so we take it.

BWP20150729013327.jpg

Duergar and a forge! We should prepare for this.

We pop potions of speed and invulnerability, and I summon an elemental. Then we go in.

BWP20150729013719.jpg

By the time I try to cast something, everything is dead...

BWP20150729013855.jpg

Then we push further into the workshop. They're not happy to see me.

BWP20150729014058.jpg

We obliterate them without much thought. I don't even think anybody gets scratched.

#1460 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:43 PM

After the battle...

BWP20150729014353.jpg

Adrian.jpeg No matter. There's a key on the dwarf over there... please, if you could just bring it to me?

BRKVQ.jpg Not so quickly. Tell me who you are first.

Adrian.jpeg Adrian. Adrian Sianodel. I'm one of the master's... pets, purchased from slavers in Athkatla a week, perhaps two weeks ago. He seemed displeased that my blood was less than pure, but beyond that... I don't know.

Adrian.jpeg My sorcery was of brief interest to him, though he... tired of me quickly regardless. I'd have likely ended up like his other failed experiments, but my skill at crafting wands made me... useful.

Adrian.jpeg A miserable existence, but better than the alternatives.

BRKVQ.jpg What can you tell me about Irenicus?

Adrian.jpeg I am-- was his slave, not his confidant. He's probably the most potent wizard I've ever seen, and I... well, suffice to say, I run in powerful circles.

BRKVQ.jpg I see. I'll find your key.

Adrian.jpeg Thank you! Quickly, please.

On one of the bodies we find the magical acorns we are searching for. This body must have been Ilyich.

BWP20150729014939.jpg

He was also wearing the Mail of the Dead +2.

BWP20150729015033.jpg

I give it to Wulfgar. I also find a spell scroll in my backpack. It must have shown up during one of those wild surges.

BWP20150729015218.jpg

I copy it down into my spellbook no problem. That sounds really interesting, I'll have to try it out soon.

We find Adrian's key.

BWP20150729015541.jpg

He is looking closely at what we do.

BWP20150729015628.jpg

Adrian.jpeg My thanks.

Adrian.jpeg You're... Syvishtar, was it? From Baldur's Gate? The duergar might have mentioned you a time or two when they weren't... otherwise engaged.

BRKVQ.jpg What do you know about me?

Adrian.jpeg Aside from the face that you were Irenicus' newest test subject? Very little. Regardless, we'd best find a way out of this dungeon before the mage or more of his creatures show up.

BRKVQ.jpg I haven't heard a better idea all day.

Gameplay note: Minsc is suffering from a really annoying and horrible stutter bug so I'm making a unilateral decision to kick him for now.

BWP20150729022749.jpg

2RuK7.jpg Boo does not like goodbyes, but I know we will meet again. Until thn, I will seek the small and fuzzy to console Boo. Where do you want to meet up again?

BRKVQ.jpg I don't know. If you can, try and wait at a major tavern or inn.

Gameplay note: Adrian is a sorcerer!

BWP20150729020041.jpg

Among the boxes and bins here is the Girdle of Bluntness and some random weapons and ammo. I give Adrian a sling and some bullets, because he seems to be able to use them. I hope he doesn't die.

With nothing left to take here, we go to the middle hallway, the one halfway down the trapped room on this side.

BWP20150729020619.jpg

In a staggering change of pace, no one tries to immediately kill us.

BWP20150729020725.jpg

An old man does try to talk to us, though.

BWP20150729020808.jpg

Frennedan.jpeg My name is Frennedan, and I have been held in this glass botle for some time now. Why, I do not know, but I fear it is to be magically experimented on. Please help me!

Yeah, buddy, get in line.

BRKVQ.jpg I have seen others that have been experimented on, as you say. It is a most terrible thing... do you know who is behind all of this?

Frennedan.jpeg No, I know nothing of who has done all of this, my lord. Please help me! I fear I am too old to survive for long!

BRKVQ.jpg I am unsure if I am even able to aid you. Do you know how to unlock the glass door of your cage?

Frennedan.jpeg There is a key in one of the chests, I believe. Oh, please find it and help me! Please aid an old man!

Laying it on there pretty thick, aren't you, old man?

BRKVQ.jpg I am unsure... you seem far too eager, somehow. How do I know I can trust you?

Frennedan.jpeg Aaaah! You will not help an old, feeble man?

BWP20150729023843.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg What?! What manner of sorcery is this?! You turn into a boy before my eyes and expect me to trust you? Explain yourself!

Frennedan-boy.jpeg Sniff! I just would like to be free, ever so much, sir. Please help me. Please let me go.

BRKVQ.jpg You talk like a boy, but a moment ago you spoke as an old man. I would know what you were before I free you... I have had enough of dopplegangers.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg I'm not a dop, a dop... one of those. Whatever that is, sir. Ooooh, I don't know what to say to get you to help me. I've been in here for so long.

I know that he IS a doppleganger, but a desperate and imprisoned one. I can't just leave him here like this. It's ... too pitiful.

BRKVQ.jpg Ah, very well, then. I will attempt to release you, then. I shall watch you carefully, however, and the first move you make shall be your last!

Frennedan-boy.jpeg Thank you! Oh, thank you ever so much! Please hurry!

On the bookshelf we find some candles.

BWP20150729021837.jpg

And we do indeed find a key in one of the chests. It unlocks the door.

BWP20150729024615.jpg

Frennedan-boy.jpeg I was able to overhear a conversation between some of the assistants of the man who has locked me up here. They mentioned an exit through the sewer, not far from here.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg If we take the exit corridor leading to my cell, go back and follow the previous corridor, then we should get outside.

Frennedan-boy.jpeg I cannot wait to finally be free of this horrible place. Thank you for allowing me to follow you out, my Lord.

BWP20150729024805.jpg

BWP20150729024823.jpg

Adrian.jpeg Very well. If you come to your senses, you may yet find me in Waukeen's Promenade.

Gameplay note: Gah, we are so close to getting out of here I can taste it! No time for party voting now, its a stampede! Also, Frennedan is a fighter.

BWP20150729024914.jpg

Aww, he's the most adorable little doppleganger ever!

I really, really, really want to get out of this place.