• Please log in to reply
279 replies to this topic

#101 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:17 AM

prozh - I don't have Gavin installed. If you can figure out a way to identify if the mod is installed then I can add the hotfix code to the installer. Re-writing the installer to patch .wed files is not going to solve this type of problem because the original mod(s) won't know about the new night .wed files.

-Y-

#102 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

prozh - I don't have Gavin installed. If you can figure out a way to identify if the mod is installed then I can add the hotfix code to the installer.
Weidu.tp2 code:

ACTION_IF (MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~gavin/gavin.tp2~ ~0~) BEGIN
  // stuff that happens when component 0 of gavn mod is installed
END
ELSE BEGIN
  // stuff that happens when component 0 of gavin mod is NOT installed
END

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#103 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

That will do. :)

-Y-

#104 prozh

prozh
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:09 AM

Baldur's Gate Graphics Overhaul installed before Gavin in BWP, may be included this hotfix in BiG World Fixpack?

#105 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Thanks for the hotfix guys. Just one thing... is it safe to install this hotfix simply at the end of a very big install, or does it need to go strictly right after BG Graphic Overhaul?

#106 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

. is it safe to install this hotfix simply...
A hotfix is always designed to be installed at the very end of the mod installation order... that's what makes it "hot"...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#107 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

. is it safe to install this hotfix simply...
A hotfix is always designed to be installed at the very end of the mod installation order... that's what makes it "hot"...

Heh, gotcha :D

#108 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

Baldur's Gate Graphics Overhaul installed before Gavin in BWP, may be included this hotfix in BiG World Fixpack?

Sounds like a good idea. The next versions of the Graphics Overhaul will have the hotfix included - I have already tested it here in BGTuTu and it seems to work okay.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 14 July 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#109 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Question, did you install the Widescreen mod beforte the BG:GO mod, cause that will cause a crash if the area's graphic goes over a border of the normal non widescreened area...

Yeah, the widescreen mod needs to be installed after this mod !

Are you sure there could be a problem with Widescreen?

Widescreen patches WED files only for Baldur's Gate and Planescape:Torment because the game engine doesn't handle areas smaller than the screen. This is not true with the BG II engine and I'm quite sure that Widescreen only patches the executable file and the GUI in this case. The files listed in the backup directory of Widescreen on my BG II + BGT installation are:

• bgmain.exe
  • override/guiw10.chu
  • override/GUIWLSP0.mos
  • override/GUIOLSP0.mos
  • override/GUIWRLP0.mos
  • override/GUIWTPP0.mos
  • override/GUWBTP10.mos
  • override/GUWBTP20.mos
  • override/GUWBTP30.mos
  • override/GMPWMSG0.mos
  • override/GUIWDMB0.mos
  • override/GUICHTB0.mos
  • override/GUIWDSL0.mos
  • override/GMWMSGA0.mos
  • override/GUDEATH0.mos
  • override/GMPWBTP0.mos
  • override/GUWPKPC0.mos
  • override/GWCONTB0.mos
  • override/GMWMSGB0.mos
  • override/ston10t.mos
  • override/ston10b.mos
  • override/ston10r.mos
  • override/ston10l.mos

#110 The Imp

The Imp

• 5150 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Are you sure there could be a problem with Widescreen?

Truthfully, no. But I wouldn't take the risk of seeing a variation of these:

baldr002.jpg

And by the way, the Widescreen mod also makes some TB#xxxxx.bif files into the <game>/data/ -folder, and as those files can have any files associated with them ... the files don't need a back up as you can just remove the re-association from the key file.

Edited by The Imp, 17 July 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#111 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Um. I have a memory from the baldursgate forums that Widescreen doesn't work with BGEE because of the zoom ability. Effectively, it's already built in.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 14 July 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#112 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

I just wanted to report that the BGT fix also seems to work fine. However (I think) the setup did act a bit weird. See debug.log:

Spoiler

I'm speaking primarily about the parse errors. I guess this is not harmful?

#113 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

You'll need to contact the Drizzt mod author to find out what's going on there.

-Y-

#114 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

You'll need to contact the Drizzt mod author to find out what's going on there.

-Y-

Maybe I was not clear enough :) the log I posted is generated only by the BGT fix posted on the previous page in this thread. Which is why I posted the log here. When I said "the setup", I meant the weidu setup of BGT fix. I have not installed any Drizzt mod.

#115 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

Dammit - I missed the mod association. It's not Drizzt at all.

[SETUP-BPV180.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 4382 column 16-31
Near Text: APPEND_COL_OUTER
GLR parse error

indicates a problem in the .tp2 file of the BPV mod. It has nothing to do with prozh' hotfix.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 16 July 2013 - 03:53 AM.

#116 PutridWalker

PutridWalker
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

[SETUP-BPV180.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 4382 column 16-31
Near Text: APPEND_COL_OUTER
GLR parse error

indicates a problem in the .tp2 file of the BPV mod. It has nothing to do with prozh' hotfix.

-Y-

I know it has nothing to do with it. It does not even seem to touch the files mentioned, which is why I said it seemed harmless. Still, it does only happen when I install the hotfix, and I just found it a bit disturbing (the words parse error usually implies bad things). But I guess it's just some random weidu output. I only raised an eyebrow because I have installed many other mods, and I have not seen such an error.

Oh well, the hotfix works. Back to gaming.

Edited by PutridWalker, 17 July 2013 - 06:37 AM.

#117 Eirinjas

Eirinjas
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm one of "those" people who still prefer to play vanilla BGwTotSC over Tutu and BGT.  I'm a bit bummed that the BG Graphics Overhaul can't be used in my version of the game, but I understand the reason is technical.  I had a though and a question though:  Is there anything preventing someone from simply creating a patch that modifies the original BG executable so that it can do extended night areas like BGII?  Seems like something of a minor code difference between the two games.  Just wondering.

#118 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Truthfully, no. But I wouldn't take the risk of seeing a variation of these
And by the way, the Widescreen mod also makes some TB#xxxxx.bif files into the <game>/data/ -folder, and as those files can have any files associated with them ... the files don't need a back up as you can just remove the re-association from the key file.

The graphical glitch you show is typically an issue with some of the MOS files that Widescreen patches to extend them. As far as I know, such behaviour is caused by installing the GUI mod after Widescreen on BG II.

I can certify there is no TB#xxxxx.bif files in my BG II + BGT + Widescreen installation. Bif files also need to be removed when uninstalling, so they get mentionned in one way or another in the backup directory of the mod. They appear in the MAPPING and UNINSTALL file when installing Widescreen on Baldur's Gate. There is no such thing when Widescreen is installed with BG II.

The TB#xxxx.bif files are used to rebuild bif files for areas extended in BG and PST.

#119 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

Is there anything preventing someone from simply creating a patch that modifies the original BG executable so that it can do extended night areas like BGII?  Seems like something of a minor code difference between the two games.  Just wondering.

If it could be done, it would have been done. My guess (based on the mess we discovered in the City night files) is that the ability to add an Extended Night was added very late in the game's development cycle and was not back-ported to the other areas for lack of time. The majority of buildings actually occupy different places between night and day; you can see them jumping around if you place the day area on top of the night area as different layers in (say) Photoshop. That, combined with the very poor execution of the night textures, suggests that there was little-to-no real QA done on the City's night areas and that in turn would indicate that the ability to add night areas was added very late on. I emphasise though that this is based on surmise and that I have no actual factual evidence that this is what happened.

-Y-

#120 Eirinjas

Eirinjas
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Is there anything preventing someone from simply creating a patch that modifies the original BG executable so that it can do extended night areas like BGII?  Seems like something of a minor code difference between the two games.  Just wondering.

If it could be done, it would have been done. My guess (based on the mess we discovered in the City night files) is that the ability to add an Extended Night was added very late in the game's development cycle and was not back-ported to the other areas for lack of time. The majority of buildings actually occupy different places between night and day; you can see them jumping around if you place the day area on top of the night area as different layers in (say) Photoshop. That, combined with the very poor execution of the night textures, suggests that there was little-to-no real QA done on the City's night areas and that in turn would indicate that the ability to add night areas was added very late on. I emphasise though that this is based on surmise and that I have no actual factual evidence that this is what happened.

-Y-

Okay, I appreciate your explanation, but this doesn't really explain why it's possible for the extended night areas to be added in BGT and BGTutu, but not possible for vanilla BG.  Since all the areas outside the city did not have extended night areas, they had to be created and added for BGT & BGTutu.  No?  So, why can't they be added for vanilla BG?  I have some coding experience and this seems like a small thing in the scheme of things.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: baldurs gate, graphics, overhaul