Photo

First attempt at area art

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Corby

Corby
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hello, just wanted to share my first foray into 3D modelling. Thought I'd give an interior scene a go. :) Does it look alright?

trappers.png

Edited by Corby, 24 July 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

Looks very pretty and cosy. Wooden floor, the fire. I can't see the flickering candle in a static image, obviously, but I'm sure it looks great in the game, too. Welcome to SHS, by the way! 

#3 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

Beautiful interior :) For what game?

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#4 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

That's lovely! Area art is always appreciated, especially when it's this high quality.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#5 Corby

Corby
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome. :)

For what game?

I was thinking of trying to make a small hamlet first and see how hard it is to create.

I was wondering, how do "walkbehinds" work? I remember, from browsing the forums, that there was something really time consuming to implement. Was it this?

Edited by Corby, 21 July 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#6 Corby

Corby
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

A little samey, but here's a fisherman's cabin:

fishagain.png

Edited by Corby, 22 July 2013 - 04:57 AM.

#7 Corby

Corby
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:17 AM

A woodcutter/carpenter's cabin. Hand painted quite a bit of it, so I'm not sure if the style would clash with the game's sprites? I'm a much better painter than 3D modeler.

woodcutter.gif

#8 Corby

Corby
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:46 AM

Trader's home:

traders2.png

#9 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:49 AM

I like the effect the flickering fire has in the previous one (woodcutter cabin).  Perhaps the lamps could give off a similar but smaller flicker, too?  The bearskin rug, weapons "tools" on the table, and the floor there are really well done.

The more recent one (trader's home) has some things I love: the picture over the bed, the desk in the lower left,the shadows cast behind the chairs (though it's unfortunate that the same effect can't be applied to creatures), and the table and barrels lining the upper wall.  The fireplace rug is also quite nice, now that I consider it.  I prefer the flooring in the previous room, though - the wood here looks a little more manufactured.

The bedsheets and pillows feel like they might be a little more crumpled than the rectangular slabs I remember from the original game areas.  I'm sure there's at least some tradesmen who make their beds.

Great job and keep it up.  Maybe try your hand at a building without a fireplace?  A store, tavern, or warehouse?

Edited by Mike1072, 24 July 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#10 Corby

Corby
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Maybe try your hand at a building without a fireplace?

Sure! Last room is the tavern/inn, so I'll try an alternate lighting system.

The Mayor's home: Big version

mayor.png

Edited by Corby, 25 July 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#11 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

Have you thought of drawing some kind of...bigger place. Maybe outdoor? Or maybe write a mod of your own? There are people who can help you with coding.

#12 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

Very lovely. The last two pictures remind me of NWN games(the interior of the mage-teacher's home in SoU, the beginning of NWN2) and of Hogwarts miniature for some reason. I'd like to play it - you've already got a plot in mind?

#13 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

mayor.png

The chair has a strong shadow on the back and sides, but casts no shadow on the rug. It stands out as an item pasted into the image.

icon11.gif W_GUI - a GUI replacement for Baldur's Gate 2/TUTU/BGT/CA
icon11.gif W_PackMule - Your own pack mule for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA, BGEE and BG2:EE

icon11.gif Psionics Unleashed - play as a Psion, mod for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA

#14 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Maybe try your hand at a building without a fireplace?

mayor.png

t's a fireplace in the lower right corner, right?

#15 Corby

Corby
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Have you thought of drawing some kind of...bigger place. Maybe outdoor? Or maybe write a mod of your own?

Yep, going to try the exterior scene after the last interior is done; just practicing with small rooms at the moment. Also would love to try a mod of my own.

The last two pictures remind me of NWN games(the interior of the mage-teacher's home in SoU, the beginning of NWN2) and of Hogwarts miniature for some reason. I'd like to play it - you've already got a plot in mind?

Actually, I modeled this one on Ulbrec's home in IWD2. I've got a bit of plot together so far too.

The chair has a strong shadow on the back and sides, but casts no shadow on the rug. It stands out as an item pasted into the image.

There's a huge blotchy shadow behind the chair, but it may be a bit too weak. Probably easy to correct in photoshop.

t's a fireplace in the lower right corner, right?

Sorry, next area will have no fireplace. :)

#16 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'll just chime in by saying no fireplace is pretty unrealistic. No fireplace = no heating = frigging cold. Every house had a fireplace and sometimes more than one. (This argument is of course void if outdoor temperatures are warm enough year round.)

Your areas look really good.

#17 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:53 PM

I'll just chime in by saying no fireplace is pretty unrealistic. No fireplace = no heating = frigging cold. Every house had a fireplace and sometimes more than one. (This argument is of course void if outdoor temperatures are warm enough year round.)

Wizards.

#18 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:01 AM

Wizards. 
A fireball will keep your house warm for its entire existence.

#19 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

Why don't you just keep a pet fire elemental? It's so much nicer.

Corby - what kind of mod you're considering? Uhm... maybe don't show your all hand, yet. Keep some cards out of the sight! Curiosity can do mod some good :)

#20 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

As Corby is not there for a couple of days, maybe you can help me. I started to create areas from his bmp maps and something seems odd :

we000110.jpg

Don't you think the scale of the map is too small. I think it should deserve to be rezized by at least 20-30 % to fit the size of the avatars - specially when they pass under the top beams, the top is not high enough ?

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.