Photo

BiG World Setup (an attempt to update the program)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5286 replies to this topic

#141 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

- The program does not recognise Grimuars-v4.1 during extraction nor installation (states that extraction failed - while it did not; states that installation file is absent - while it is not; obviously checks for a false file name).

The BWS is not yet able to detect a new version of the mod. Will be fixed in the new BWS.

- SCS2 is not found during installation, although it did not produce an error during the download or extraction phase. Checking the download folder manually yields no sign of it - there is a "scs-v21.exe" and a "stratagems-v24.exe", the latter of which also produces an extraction error which is resolved by manually starting it.

SCS2 it's "scsII-v21", not "stratagems-v24".

- Several modules have translation errors (missing '~' in gavin-v8, missing files in others, ghost strings in some: translation not found error for a line which does not exist in any file), which cannot be confirmed by online search and therefore probably should not exist.

Yep, ajantispcregavin.tra and b!addtalks.tra have missing '~'. But I can not fix this. Please report this error to the BiG World Textpack German support forum.

It's seems that Textpack German also replaces the tra-files of "Tortured Souls (BP compatible version)", which is why this mod does not installed too.

#142 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

The BWS is not yet able to detect a new version of the mod.

But then why does it pull this version and extracts it? Should it not seek and fail to find a "Grimuars-v3.3" instead?

SCS2 it's "scsII-v21", not "stratagems-v24".

Yes, I know. What happens is that BWS downloads these two files I mentioned but not a "scsII-v21". It does not download it, it does not attempt to extract it (though does attempt to extract "stratagems-v24" and recognises when I do that after it failed) but it does try to install it - no surprise that at this point it fails.

#143 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

But then why does it pull this version and extracts it? Should it not seek and fail to find a "Grimuars-v3.3" instead?

This could happen only if someone manually pointed the way to a new version of the mod, the program itself does not know about it and could not download and try to extract it. Oh well, anyway, I already updated the BWS, link to this mod and fixed a bug with its finding.

Yes, I know. What happens is that BWS downloads these two files I mentioned but not a "scsII-v21". It does not download it, it does not attempt to extract it (though does attempt to extract "stratagems-v24" and recognises when I do that after it failed) but it does try to install it - no surprise that at this point it fails.

Think I can guess how it was possible to select the two versions of the mod, and I hope that with new version of the BWS it will not happen again.

So, BWS is updated again.

Fixed:

• Changing the codepage (thanks to Dabus)
  • Renamed Grimuars files
  • Toughened SCS conflict

Updated:

• Dark Horizons, Grimuars, WeiDU

#144 ketomi

ketomi
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for doing this.

Tried to get the 10-17 version to install last night, also ran into the SCS problems, guess I'll try the new version.

Was installing "recommended" pack. Also had problems with:

Item Revisions by Demivrgvs (Item Revisions)

Potion Revisions (Item Revisions)

Quickfix for wakizashis and ninja-tos (Ninja and Waki Fix)

Continued after errors. Had assertion error chitin.cpp 1628 with BGMain. I've tried googling around, know it's a problem, still can't figure out how to solve it after mods, would appreciate advice/link.

EDIT:

Think this problem was caused by updating urls and then SCS conflict, as Zsar saw. Still having different issue with sound and ToBEx patch.

Attached Files

Edited by ketomi, 24 October 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#145 -Zsar-

-Zsar-

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

I have investigated further and can confirm that during download and extraction, Sword Coast Stratagems 2 is identified as "stratagems-v24.exe". This is also the file tested when performing a check of all downloaded archives. "scsII-v21.exe", if downloaded manually is at that point deleted as an "unnecessary file".

Only at installation does BWS actually check for the correct file, "Setup-scsII.exe" as extracted from "scsII-v21.exe" and not "stratagems.bat" from "stratagems-v24.exe".
... Actually I have to complete the installation to check whether "stratagems.bat" or "stratagems\setup-stratagems_autoinstall.tp2" is ever called.

#146 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

Some new links for downloads:

Unfinished Business (UB for BG2):

http://mods.pocketpl...usiness-v22.zip

Spell-50:

http://www.kovarex.c.../Spell50-v12.7z

Rolles (proofread: http://www.shsforums...077-rolles-v3a/ ):

http://www.shsforums...attach_id=26488

#147 -Zsar-

-Zsar-

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Chance is you already fixed this, but I report it anyway to be sure: During my no-matter-what-this-installation-has-to-be-completed-so-I-catch-all-the-faults, these components were skipped (as already installed):

- Improved Spiders (scsII #6030)

- Bonus Merchant (BG2_Tweaks #1170)

Either those should not be selected in the first place or they should be and something else should not but is.

A plethora of errors came from the components "Poison Effect Supplement" and "LolFixer":

Spoiler
Spoiler
Cannot claim that I have the slightest idea what happens there, but the sheer amount of "error" strings is worrying.

#148 -Beleg33-

-Beleg33-

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

That's what these mods do, detect errors and fix them while reporting them so you know exactly what it's done.

#149 ketomi

ketomi
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

So I finished the install with the 20131022 version using the "recommended" pack and the install had no problems.

Getting "An assertion failed in ChSound.cpp at line 4905" error. I've read the posts saying this error is caused by songlist.2da becoming too long because the mods are adding to it:

http://www.shsforums...905#entry181281

Not sure if that's a new bug from some mod changing how they add sounds, so FYI.

Apparently the manual solution is to edit songlist.2da in the override directory - I don't see a songlist.2da there, any advice?

I also saw this, which might allow for longer songlist.2da files:

http://www.shsforums...glist2da-limit/

Any one know if it works? Or where I should find a songlist.2da to edit? Or rather which songlist.2da to edit as there are several in my BG2 directory, just not in override...

Thanks again

EDIT 1:

Looked closer at the BIG World Project v13 manual. There's "26.13 Baldur’s Gate trilogy - Music" which says:

Some NPCs connect new music not like other mods with the dialogs or other events, but add them to a songlist. Into the unpatched songlist only 99 entries may be carried out all together. Hence, up to now all lines from line 100 had to be deleted after the installation because, otherwise, the game could not start. This patch removes this limitation. Also it writes all BG1 music into the songlist.

So I guess something must have gone wrong with the installation of that mod/patch. Looking at my debug, I see:

Setup-BGTMusic.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view --quick-log --force-install-list 2 --logapp

[Setup-BGTMusic.exe] WeiDU version 23400

bgmain.exe: TobEx installation detected. Skipping .exe patch...

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      Full Baldur's Gate/Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal Music (WARNING: patches BGMain.exe)

Does anyone understand this? The mod appears to be successfully installed, but not a critical part of it? Can I just reinstall?

EDIT 2:

For future reference, apparently it is possible to edit songlist.2da from the biffed file, but I think you don't need to do that if the patches install properly:

http://www.shsforums...sertion-failed/

OK, learned that TobEx is the mod "Throne of Baal Extender". The TobEx readme says that it changes BGMain.exe to use its library and that it "Corrects engine bugs with soundsets" so I guess that conflicts/replaces the bgtmusic patch?

So I have two theories:

1) When I attempted the reinstall of the mods from the 20131022 version of BWS, I restored from my backup my original BG2 files, using the GUI. Maybe bgt-music should have patched BGMain.exe but didn't because it thought that TobEx was installed because whatever it uses to check whether TobEx has been installed wasn't replaced by the restore from backup.

2)

The mod install order in BWS is wrong, TobEx didn't patch BGMain.exe to allow larger songlist.2da or... something else was strange with my install. I got the "SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      TobEx - Core" and no errors for any of the TobEx install itself in the debug.

I'm going to wipe and reinstall everything in case it's theory (1) bgt-music checks from something not removed by the restore from backup... and I'm going to leave all of this here in case it's theory (2) or the problem from theory (1) is easily fixable.

Edited by ketomi, 22 October 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#150 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

So I finished the install with the 20131022 version using the "recommended" pack and the install had no problems.

This is what you get from choosing a random option during your install, random as in you took a premade package that is out of date because the packages are not updated, nearly tried to be maintained...

The fix for you problem is easy... choose the Tactics Compilation and choose to edit the mod selection and then remove the mods you don't with to install... the fix is to actually install the ToBEx, as it fixes the songlist limit.

What comes to the install order and the silent things you won't be able to see ... is that there are other mods that use the ToBEx fixes to fix their own faults... one being the SCS, it will install a pert of the ToBEx fixes, but it won't activate the songlist fix unless you actually install the ToBEx first and the SCS will then skip installing the it's own fix as it's already in the game... but if the ToBEx is not installed first but the SCS is and then you try to install the BGT-music, itdetects the SCS's ToBEx fix which will then make the install skip it in the wrong place.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#151 ketomi

ketomi
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

Thanks.

I think all of ToBEx was installed, not just parts for SCS. The debug has no errors and the command that ran was:

Setup-tobex.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view --quick-log --force-install-list 100 101 102 104 105 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 120 121 122 123 124 --logapp

So shouldn't this have fixed the songlist limit? I think something must have gone wrong with the install of ToBEx but it went wrong silently somehow.

Or does bgtmusic still need to patch, even though ToBEx is installed after?

Anyway, I'm assuming that the order in BWS is right and I'll just do a clean reinstall of the game files with the 20131022 version and make sure that ToBEx is enabled.

Edited by ketomi, 22 October 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#152 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

Some new links for downloads:

Thanks, will be updated.

these components were skipped (as already installed):
- Improved Spiders (scsII #6030)
- Bonus Merchant (BG2_Tweaks #1170)

Thanks, will be fixed in next release. What's wrong with SCS in your installation I still can not understand. You used some of the standard installation options, or set up your own list of mods? Did you make any changes in the BWS files? Can you show me mod.ini, game.ini and select.txt files from your ..\Config\BWP folder?

#153 -Zsar-

-Zsar-

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Note that I was still using BWS 20131022 - I had started ~3 hours before you updated.

I selected GE as translation first, then tactical BWP, then removed the mods for which no links had been found and Tortured Souls as I already knew it would not work:
- Tortured Souls
- Anishai One-Day NPC
- Lester NPC
- Mur'Neth NPC

During the automatic extraction phase, I was prompted to manually extract Grimuars-v4.1 and SCS2 (then identified as "stratagems-v24.exe"), which I did.
After that phase I also manually extracted "scsII-v21.exe".

During the automatic installation phase, I skipped "The Undying" as I could not discern what was at fault - translation @11 was said to be missing, but it is there.

For these three modules, I fixed the error as it appeared and told the program to retry:
- Gavin NPC für Tutu oder BGT, 14.April 2008 (setup-gavin #0)
- Gavin: Romanze (Inhaltlich gereift) (setup gavin #1)
- Almateria's Restoration Project v3.4

To that end, I edited one line in the files "gavin\tra\german\ajantispcregavin.tra" and "gavin\tra\german\b!addtalks.tra", and created the files "arestorationp\deutsch\udvamp01.tra" and "arestorationp\deutsch\wish25.tra" from their english counterparts.

This is the full extend of modifications by me.
I tried to post the files you requested, but it resulted in http500s every time I tried, so I zipped them and uploaded them here (no idea how long they will last there, but should suffice).

#154 tuxr

tuxr
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

I don't think you're supposed to install both (SCS1 or SCS2) AND Stratagems(v24). v24 is a combination of the two.

#155 -Zsar-

-Zsar-

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

And I did not. Nor did the BWS. It only installed SCS1 and SCS2, both in version v21.

... I checked the logfile: Neither was the batch of SCSv24 called nor was the archive handed directly to the weiDu-program. All is fine here, as far as I can see.

#156 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

@Zsar

Why, why are you trying to combine the latest BWS of Dabus with my update, and then ran the update of the modlist? Update is disabled not for fun. Modlist on kerzenburg.baldurs-gate.eu, where the program takes links to update, still not fully comply with the new version of BWP. Therefore download the latest version and try to install BWP using it. And do not try to update the modlist, otherwise you will not be able to install SCS.

#157 -Zsar-

-Zsar-

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

Uh, what? I sure did nothing the program did not advise me to do and I have not the faintest idea about what you mean. I took the latest BWS from the repository you yourself linked to in the first post and "updated" not a thing!

... Oh wait. Cross-translating gave me an idea. I think I know what you mean: See, starting the BWS at the first time, there was a popup asking me to "aktualisieren" - which pretty much means "update" the download links. As the program itself asks me to have this done (and grimly describes how horribly everything could fail if I did not), of course I had - I was clueless after all!

If this is not what you mean, I must admit that I am still clueless.

Just to spell it out again: I "combined" nothing. I did nothing of my own volition. All but BWS itself (and obviously SCS2v21) was downloaded by the program, not by me. - As soon as you have clarified what fault you think is at hand, I shall try again with the 20131022 version.

#158 Quiet

Quiet
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

... Oh wait. Cross-translating gave me an idea. I think I know what you mean: See, starting the BWS at the first time, there was a popup asking me to "aktualisieren" - which pretty much means "update" the download links. As the program itself asks me to have this done (and grimly describes how horribly everything could fail if I did not), of course I had - I was clueless after all!

If this is not what you mean, I must admit that I am still clueless.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Put aside the version of the BWS, which you used previously, download a new one and use it. And it should not offer you update the links, there's even a button for this is disabled.

#159 -Zsar-

-Zsar-

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Okay. On it. I did test the links, I did test the archives, I did not update the links... immediate "success" is that it threw out the largest part (all?) of the archives it had downloaded before and now downloads them anew - different versions, I guess.

... Sure hope this will work out. I have by now wasted about four days worth of free time on this with no viable result.

#160 ketomi

ketomi
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hi,

On a clean install, from CDs, patched, with Admin privileges, in XP, used the 20131022 version of BWS, used the recommended pack, didn't update the urls, and made sure that ToBEx was selected.

Still getting a ChSound.cpp 4905 error. As far as I can figure out, the ToBEx patch for the limits to songlist isn't going through, though debug has ToBEx successfully installed.

Any ideas why?

EDIT:

Should have added that the minimum BWS does work so it's definitely something happening with a mod in the recommended pack.

Attached Files

Edited by ketomi, 24 October 2013 - 06:22 PM.