High quality music plays to fast?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 -Birdo1-

-Birdo1-

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:09 PM

Not sure why but this mod makes the music run at triple speed on my win7 64 machine. Can anyone help? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?

#2 -Birdo1-

-Birdo1-

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Icewind dale

#3 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:35 PM

Two possible explanations: 1) you installed the mod but didn't manually copy the contents of the /music folder to your game; or 2) you did both, but to an already existing savegame.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#4 -birdo1-

-birdo1-

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Fresh install of the game from gamersgate. I unzipped the mod an copied both files into the game folder. I ran the mod installer then I cut an pasted the contents of 1pp the music folder into the normal music folder. I have tried cut an copy first as well as running the mod installer in different orders. Always the music runs at triple speed. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

#5 -bjenrljt 34-

-bjenrljt 34-

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

same problem here

#6 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:33 AM

Bumping this. I have a megamod installation including CtB. I have learned here that CtB uses IWD music and that having it will cause the bg2 HQ music to play too fast. Is there any fix to this?

Edited by Bloodtitan, 14 May 2020 - 06:08 AM.

#7 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:56 AM

Bumping this. I have a megamod installation including CtB. I have learned here that CtB uses IWD music and that having it will cause the bg2 HQ music to play too fast. Is there any fix to this?

Does CtB replace BGMain.exe?

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#8 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:23 AM

Not as far as I know. In my game, the mod and BG 1 music plays normally, while the BG 2 music plays at double or triple speed. So I just need the old BG 2 Files back please.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 18 May 2020 - 01:26 AM.

#9 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:38 AM

Have you biffed the files ?

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#10 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 08:58 AM

Nope, the mod readme says to copy the HQ files to the music folder. This folder also contains the files that play normally (mod files and BG1 files). I just need the BG2 files and do not mind the quality, I want it to work.

#11 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

This mod modifies the game's executable to double the playback sample rate (from 22050 Hz to 44100 Hz) of ALL ACM files.  The music included in the mods was ripped from the soundtrack CDs and encoded at the higher sample rate to improve the quality of the in-game music.  Any other ACM file was simply resampled to the higher rate using the included acm_upsample.exe (or the underlying ssrc.exe).  This does not improve the quality, but it does allow the game to play the file properly.  Any ACM file not resampled in this way will play at twice the appropriate speed.  Ideally, this mod should be installed after any mod that adds ACM files to the game.  If a mod adds music from another IE game, you should grab the higher quality music from that version of 1pp: high quality music and use that instead.  If a mod is installed after HQ Music and adds other ACM files to the game, you must resample them to the higher rate yourself.  There are instructions for doing this included in the mod's download package.  See "manual_conversion.txt".  The mod's readme also has explicit warnings about this.  In other words, you can NOT simply get the "old BG 2 Files back".  And also, RTFM:  mod authors bothered to make one for a reason.

Edited by Sam., 18 May 2020 - 02:59 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#12 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:46 AM

While I share your enthusiasm about readme-files, and had times when I was as polite as you, you have not read what I wrote. I have converted the mod music files and they work. My BG1 music files in my BGT megamod installation work, too.

The readme says "After your current music has been patched, copy the contents of the included music/ folder to your game, overwriting the vanilla files." I did this, and have the speed problem with my BG2 music only.

But thank you for explaining how this mod works. I guess I do not want the old files back then; I only need a suggested fix.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 19 May 2020 - 08:46 AM.

#13 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

While I share your enthusiasm about readme-files, and had times when I was as polite as you, you have not read what I wrote. I have converted the mod music files and they work. My BG1 music files in my BGT megamod installation work, too.

The readme says "After your current music has been patched, copy the contents of the included music/ folder to your game, overwriting the vanilla files." I did this, and have the speed problem with my BG2 music only.

But thank you for explaining how this mod works. I guess I do not want the old files back then; I only need a suggested fix.

I apologize if I haven't followed what you are saying, but I am still confused because I can't come up with a reasonable scenario that matches the behavior you are describing.  It might help if you provided a very detailed description of what you have done, and in what order, along with a weidu.log.

Here is my understanding of the possibilities.  Please correct me if I am overlooking something.  Either the game's EXE has been patched to play ACM files at double the normal sample rate, or it has not.  If it has, then any ACM file that has been upsampled to the higher sample rate will play at the appropriate speed while any ACM file that has not been upsampled will sound as if it is being played at 2X (double) the normal speed.  On the other hand, if the EXE has not been modified to play ACM files at double the sample rate, any ACM file that has not been upsampled will play normally while any ACM file that has will sound as if it is being played at 0.5X (half) speed.  As you are playing a modded BGT, presumably you have three different sets of music:  some from BG1, some from BG2, and some from mods.  You make 3 claims.  1)  you upsampled the mod's music, and it plays properly.  Ideally you would use the corresponding higher quality files from "1pp: high quality music for IWD", but that's beside the point.  This indicates the game's EXE must be patched.  2)  the BG1 music plays at the proper speed.  You have not said if or when these files were upsampled.  If they were upsampled (or you used the HQ version from "1pp: high quality music for Tutu/ToSC" which would be ideal), this indicates the EXE has been patched.  If they have not been upsampled, this indicates the EXE was not patched.  3)  you copied the contents from the /music folder of "1pp: high quality music for SoA/ToB" to your game, and it plays at double the proper speed.  We know these files are encoded at the higher sample rate.  If the EXE was patched, these files should play properly.  If it was not patched, these files should play at half speed, not double.

I'm not sure if that made sense, but the gist is that one of us must be making flawed assumptions because the behavior you describe shouldn't be possible.  (I'm not saying it's you, it could very well be me.)  Every ACM file in the game must either come from from the appropriate "1pp: high quality music" package where the files have been encoded at the higher sample rate (providing a higher quality of sound), OR they must be manually resampled to the higher rate once and only once (quality doesn't improve, but will play at the proper speed).  Any thoughts?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#14 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

Hmm...

The Weidu.log is attached in the megamod subforum, I have no access to the original file right now.

As far as I remember I went through it as the readme suggested. When using the HQ music in a BGT installation, first copy the BG1 HQ files to the BG1 music directory before starting the megamod installations including BGT. I chose Hybrid BG1 and BG2 music as BGT option I think, so that not only BG2 or BG1 music is used in my installation.

After installing 1PP HQ music for BG2 near the end of my installation, I upsampled the existing modfiles and after that copied the content of the 1PP music folder to the original music folder, overwriting ~430 files.

If you are right I may be wrong about what music is playing too fast. Is it really BG2 music?

I have only experienced TWO samples misbehaving so far, but have not played much. The first sample is the starting screen music AFTER choosing SOA and not TOB. IIRC the very first sample plays correctly. This second sample is also used (or continued) when choosing a game to load or creating a new character. The second sample is the battle music ingame.

Do you know which files are used? My .exe must be patched as you say, and as it is just a copy process, I may only need the (so far) two files in high quality to overwrite mine.

#15 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:17 PM

Hmm...

The Weidu.log is attached in the megamod subforum, I have no access to the original file right now.

As far as I remember I went through it as the readme suggested. When using the HQ music in a BGT installation, first copy the BG1 HQ files to the BG1 music directory before starting the megamod installations including BGT. I chose Hybrid BG1 and BG2 music as BGT option I think, so that not only BG2 or BG1 music is used in my installation.

After installing 1PP HQ music for BG2 near the end of my installation, I upsampled the existing modfiles and after that copied the content of the 1PP music folder to the original music folder, overwriting ~430 files.

If you are right I may be wrong about what music is playing too fast. Is it really BG2 music?

I have only experienced TWO samples misbehaving so far, but have not played much. The first sample is the starting screen music AFTER choosing SOA and not TOB. IIRC the very first sample plays correctly. This second sample is also used (or continued) when choosing a game to load or creating a new character. The second sample is the battle music ingame.

Do you know which files are used? My .exe must be patched as you say, and as it is just a copy process, I may only need the (so far) two files in high quality to overwrite mine.

Okay, how about this.  There seems to be a significant overlap between the file names of the music in BG1 and the music in BG2.  That means that BGT must be renaming some or all of them, and patching the area files accordingly?  (I haven't yet looked at the specifics).  If only the BG1 files are renamed, I don't think there would be a problem.  However, if some of the BG2 files are renamed, when you copy over the HQ files from /music folder of the mod, you may be overwriting some of the BG1 files, but more importantly, you would be failing to replace the renamed files with an upsampled version.  Those renamed but not overwritten files would play at twice the appropriate speed.  I feel like installing "1pp: high quality music for SoA/ToB" before BGT would probably solve the problem, unless BGT replaces the game's EXE.  Do you know the rationale for the current recommendation of installing it afterward (assuming that is the case)?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#16 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:33 PM

Yes, the readme says that you can only install the SoA/ToB music mod. The TotSC mod cannot be installed then. I had tested it before, too. If one of them is installed, the other one cannot be. I think that's why the readme says to copy the BG1 files to the BG1 target folder for a BGT installation before starting. You then should install BGT and after BGT 1PP_HQ_music_II. Then upsample the files in /music and after that copy the 1PP_HQ_music_II music files to /music.

I have found at least one culprit I think. The bgtheme.acm file in /convert/backup of 1pp_hq_music_II has the same size as the one in /music. This may be the file that is used when going to the SoA starting screen/character creation etc., but I'm unsure.

I do not know what file is used in battle, songlist.2da is untelling.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 20 May 2020 - 09:55 PM.

#17 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:11 PM

Using the tools that come with 1pp music, I have manually converted the bgthemea.acm to a 44.1 khz version, and it works now. Now I just need to know which file is the combat music.

#18 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:41 PM

Looks like it's BP1 to BP4 and BC1 to BC4 folders, but these folders contain 316 files  :(

Can someone please zip his file and send me?

#19 skellytz

skellytz
  • Staff
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 05:00 AM

Take a look at these two posts: issue described and pro5's solution.

#20 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 08:18 AM

The question would be if this can be installed now that I installed the original 1pp music II mod...