Photo

Orphan Characters

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#181 -interested-

-interested-

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

I agree both with that he is a cool character and that it would be hard to put him in the party... but there's always a solution to everything. A storyline why he wants to join the party I think many plotwriters would love to put their teeth in. And you know he is tricky so for him it makes a lot of sense both betraying you behind your back and helping you achieve your goals. And also you could have some plot where you slowly are changing him when he is in the party, and if you do it one way he'll become more reliable and if you do it another way he'll walk the same path as yoshimo.

personly i think that saemon as an npc sounds like a good idea and I'd like to make sucha mod if I only had the time :( ...

#182 Akash

Akash
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

I was reading the overused ideas thread a few days ago, and have been working on this lass for a bit. She's slightly cliche, and slightly anti chliche, in a cliche way. Oh well, I tried.

Name: Shu'lltahn
Race: Half Orc
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Class: Druid
Stats:
Str-10
Dex-8
Con-13
Int-15
Wis-16
Cha-9

Loose Bio. Born with a natural talent for magic, and a wit far outranking those of her elders, she left her tribe due to her large ego, and need to find herself. She wondered around the northern lands, maturing, and learning about the wild through first hand experience. She eventually became a shaman, managing to gain favour with a petty clan leader by healing his champion, (I would like to make this champ Torak, but that just wouldn't work...it'd be cool, though). By this time, she felt the need to settle down. She stayed with the chieftan. However, one day the clan were all butchered by a group of battle hungry adventurers (Hah, IWD link!). She entangled a few of them, then ran to the nearby caves. She hid for 2 days, sustaining herself on a nearby stream, and meditated for preservation. (It's got a bit cliche, hasn't it?)
Eventually, she left her home, travelling south. She was neither rejected nor accepted, but treated with civility, due to her using her tongue to defend herself, and not her fists. By the time she got as far as Baldur's Gate, she had heard tales of a group of warriors, who had travelled far and wide. Suspecting they might be the butcherers of her tribe, she pursued them, using her druidic prowess to speed up her search. Eventually, she ended up in Amn, where the trail ended.

Okay, that bio was pretty much on the spot, but it can be moulded. Of course, you can either fight her for a decent amount of XP, but not much, or talk to her, and explain. She'll join, you'll end up facing a party not unlike your own, probably a Barb, Fighter, ranged and thief, mage and cleric combo (mostly dwarvern). Tough fight, nice items. Maybe a custom northern area? Find clues from talking to people?

Anyways, if anyone wants to make her, that would be awesome.

**No romances**

#183 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:59 PM

Not to be negative or any of that but,
I believe in BG2 or NWN (Not sure which) it says that Half-Orcs rarely reach 60 years in age
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#184 Akash

Akash
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:54 AM

Not to be negative or any of that but,
I believe in BG2 or NWN (Not sure which) it says that Half-Orcs rarely reach 60 years in age

My mistake. I'm not really knowledgable about Orcs.

#185 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:18 AM

NWN says that they rarely reach 75 and BG2 says nothing on the matter.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#186 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:03 PM

Name: Sawen
Race: Dwarf
Appearance: Blonde hair, long beard. Wears green.
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Class: Assassin
Strength: 16
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 11
Wisdom: 15
Charisma: 13

When asked about his past, SAWEN smiles at you, calmly telling you of humble beginnings living in Beregost with his brother Niwas. He never got along with his brother. Sawen eventually had to vamoose. They ran in to each other in Athkatla, shortly before Sawen met you. Sawen entered the city to try to find a dignified career. It hasn't been working out as he planned, however. Dwarves aren't the most welcome creatures in a civilized world.

His quest would be something about his brother, Niwas (a lawful evil bounty hunter, Similiar in appearance as Sawen, except wears red and has brown hair). Niwas would probably attack Sawen one night, with his party. I think it'd be neat to have an evil BG1 NPC in his party, too. Shar-Teel, Kagain, or Eldoth....

I might try to use tutorial after tutorial to make this a reality, but I want to start and finish a BGT game first. That and I dont have the tools or ability to make decent voices. I can write well enough, I think, though.

#187 evildevil

evildevil

:-)

• 410 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

Been so long since I posted here, I forgot to log in... the above was me.
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#188 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:16 PM

A chaotic good assassin? *blinks*

Other than that...hmm, dunno. That's kind of out of character for a dwarf, too, since dwarves tend to be low on dexterity, which rogue classes heavily depend on...

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#189 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 04:20 AM

Ah but Dwarven Rogues make good Rogues with their knowledge of traps. Don't dscard em so easily. Both NWN and DA2 have them btw.

PS Dwarves get a plus 10% pick locks and 15% find traps. Who wouldn't want that?
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#190 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 02:13 PM

Ooh, feedback. For some reason, I wasnt expecting that. I really can only rebuttle to the alignment. He's good at heart, but knows what he knows in order to survive as a youth. I havent thought the exact details down, but he uses his skills almost solely for survival. He's no Yeslick, though.
Every spelling error above is not my fault, and I should not be counted liable for such.

#191 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

Ooh, feedback. For some reason, I wasnt expecting that. I really can only rebuttle to the alignment. He's good at heart, but knows what he knows in order to survive as a youth. I havent thought the exact details down, but he uses his skills almost solely for survival. He's no Yeslick, though.

Chaotic neutral would be allowed as an assassin, and that might fit him better.

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard

#192 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:47 AM

Could you at least give me your reasoning? I understand to an extent, but nowhere near fully.

(Alora was a CG thief in BG1...)

#193 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

Could you at least give me your reasoning? I understand to an extent, but nowhere near fully.

(Alora was a CG thief in BG1...)

Sorry I spaced responding to this.

Alora being a CG thief is one thing--she's basically compassionate, but is really curious and interested in people's stuff. She is motivated, as I understand it, more by a sort of "oooh, what's this?" mentality than greed in the traditional sense. [EDIT]This is compatible with a generally "good" outlook but a limited understanding or acceptance of the concept of personal property.[/EDIT]

However, an assassin isn't just a thief, it's a person who kills for hire or as part of some other long-term arrangement, generally without much personal compunction with regards to who their victims are. This is, to put it lightly, a calling that is difficult to reconcile with a good alignment as it's commonly understood. One could, I suppose, paint him as a vigilante of sorts: driven by enforcing his own idea of justice and protecting those he regards as innocent, and very willing to believe that the ends justify the means, and to this end he has trained in the skills needed to discretely and efficiently eliminate those who threaten the innocent. But in such a case, a label other than "assassin" might be called for.

Edited by Azkyroth, 14 October 2006 - 05:36 PM.

#194 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

read above about saemon havarian, I wonder; would that be a hard mod to do (?) due to several dialogs that need changes. I think that if I kick my lazy ass I could manage to make something outta it....

/tolazytologin

#195 evildevil

evildevil

• 410 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:14 PM

However, an assassin isn't just a thief, it's a person who kills for hire or as part of some other long-term arrangement, generally without much personal compunction with regards to who their victims are. This is, to put it lightly, a calling that is difficult to reconcile with a good alignment as it's commonly understood. One could, I suppose, paint him as a vigilante of sorts: driven by enforcing his own idea of justice and protecting those he regards as innocent, and very willing to believe that the ends justify the means, and to this end he has trained in the skills needed to discretely and efficiently eliminate those who threaten the innocent. But in such a case, a label other than "assassin" might be called for.

In my eyes, he's just a creature who uses what skills he has to survive. He wants to change, but it's not an easy thing for him to do. You're clearly more knowledgable on this type of subject than I am. I dont want to see him go any further down than LN though.

#196 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 11:30 AM

Ajonis McKenize -- "Commandore Silktongue" "The Tatician"

That one, from back in 2004, looks interesting, if limited. How often does a party include Keldorn for the whole game?

Personally, I adore Keldorn, and think the pair of them would be hysterical, but I usually let Keldorn go stay with his family.

But I've got my hands full with my own NPC ATM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#197 Riviera

Riviera

Silmeria, the elven bard

• 355 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:44 PM

I'm really hoping that Gronk and/or Jesaih get picked up.

Such great concepts!

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#198 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:33 PM

Such great concepts!

Refresh my memory? *scrolls up* no reason you couldn't work on one, I suppose. Or maybe there is. Hmm.

#199 Tate

Tate
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 09:26 PM

I'm working on a mod for this character, but I would gladly step aside and let a more experienced modder work on it, if anyone's interested :P

Name: Tate Jinglejam
Race: Halfling
Class: Cleric/Thief
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Appearance: Brown, slightly curly hair, no facial hair. Pudgy. Wears red and brown.
Str: 9
Dex: 17
Con: 12
Int: 15
Wis: 18
Cha: 17
Special Equipment: Soup Spoon of Glory (Mace +1)
10% chance of unconsciousness (sp?) on hit
5% chance of mild burns (Fire damage 1d4)
Past: After suffering a jaw-disfiguring injury involving a particularly nasty pot of soup and an unfortunate trip, Tate felt to disfigured to be around other halflings, particularly women. He set off adventuring, hoping to travel with people who have enough scars to think his disfigured jaw is perfectly normal.
Interaction: Will chat about the dangers of unwatched soup pot, daisies, and the many wonders of cheese. If the group is speaking to or is otherwise involved with a female halfling, Tate will either hide in shadows immediately (70%) or scream about the indignity of his disfigured jaw, ranting about the general unfairness of the world...in general. If a female halfling actually joins the group, Tate will whine about unfairness and soup pots until the female halfling tells him to shut up, in which case he will not banter with anyone until she leaves the party. If two female halflings join, Tate will leave and refuse to come back until at least one of the ladies have left.

Edited by Tate, 16 December 2006 - 09:28 PM.

#200 Justyn Kase

Justyn Kase
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 01:36 AM

Such great concepts!

Refresh my memory? *scrolls up* no reason you couldn't work on one, I suppose. Or maybe there is. Hmm.

I do admit I agree with Riviera on this. The two characters seem well thought out and there's lots to do with both of them.

I especially like Gronk, because the party needs a lovable Lummox of a warrior who isn't Minsc. It was high time to have someone fill in that spot. Besides, how many half-orcs are out there currently? Not a whole lot.

Course, I'd like to a few more dwarves and halflings, and maybe even a few more human NPCs... since everyone else loves to make: Tieflings (who I thought were UNCOMMON to the realms... how odd), drow, elves, half-elves, 1/4 drow elves, sun elves, grey elves, wood elves, high elves, dragon elves, kobold elves, "i want to be Drizzt": elves, "I want to be Legooas" elves, "I have an issue with myself" elves, ... okay, so I think there's too many damn elves.

How about a dwarf or half-orc who isn't a blood-thirsty killer? Or a halfling who actually IS a rogue?

Okay, I'm done ranting, I know it seems like I hate elves, but I don't. Even after going through all the NPC mods for BG2 and realizing three-quarters of them are elves of some nature, and I haven't seen one dang dwarf for BG2 anywhere... and I'm not counting BP, SoS, NeJ, TDD, or any of the other massive mods that add in a few new people. At least in some mods theres at least Tiax...

Sigh.... I miss dwarves.

Here's an interesting party concept I thought of...
Half-Orc Ranger
Human Bard
Halfling Barbarian (thank the gods Mazzy actually was a fighter, it broke the typical stereo-types)
Dwarven Cleric
Gnome Wizard (Not an illusionist)
Half-Elven Fighter (pure-class, not multi)

.... Okay, silly, but it'd be an interesting change of pace.

Edited by Justyn Kase, 07 February 2007 - 01:49 AM.

If you're happy and you know it, slay a troll! If you're happy and you know, slay a troll. If you're happy and you know it and you really want to show it if you're happy and you know it slay a troll!