崇高滑稽
·

#22 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

I was thinking of making something original using photoshop.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#23 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:47 PM

I don't have a lot to contribute here unfortunately, except possibly that if you would like a macro that makes engine patching fairly easy and convenient, I've got one for my PS:T mods. Shouldn't take much to alter it for BG2 (I'd think just pulling out the stuff that does size checks for the 2CD or 4CD version of PS:T and replacing it with checks to determine which version of the BG2 exe is used.)

Course, you can just do direct writes too, and if it's all in one area of the .exe maybe it wouldn't be worth it. But if you do wind up having to do lots of little patches in different areas of the .exe, let me know and I"ll try to hook you up.

Qwinn

#24 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

Sounds good, lots of little patches in different areas is exactly what's going to happen.

How does it work?

崇高滑稽
·

#25 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

See my first post on this thread.

http://www.shsforums...showtopic=40991

If that looks like something you'd want to use, what I'd suggest is just downloading my Fixpack and taking a look at PST-Fix/tph/EngineFixes.tph. Tons and tons of engine examples as applied in a real modding situation there.

Qwinn

#26 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

I had a look but from what I understand it's most useful if you have some pattern searches/replacements, so I don't know how useful it would be. My current process is a simple compare/replace, which is convenient (for me) in that it's readily automatable.

-

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest currently in any case.

崇高滑稽
·

#27 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest currently in any case.

I think that there's an enormous interest in seeing it done, just a great deal fewer people that feel they have the skills, knowledge, or time to be useful or otherwise be able to contribute. And while I would be willing to help in any way I can, I'm afraid I'm lacking in all three areas, primarily the first (and most important) two. I am not artistic at all and have a record of being extraordinarily bad when it comes to WeiDU codeing, but I do have a rudimentary knowledge of other types of programming and can handle tedious but simple tasks... for what it's worth.

Edited by Sam., 04 July 2009 - 08:27 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#28 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:48 PM

I think that there's an enormous interest in seeing it done, just a great deal fewer people that feel they have the skills, knowledge, or time to be useful or otherwise be able to contribute. And while I would be willing to help in any way I can, I'm afraid I'm lacking in all three areas, primarily the first (and most important) two. I am not artistic at all and have a record of being extraordinarily bad when it comes to WeiDU codeing, but I do have a rudimentary knowledge of other types of programming and can handle tedious but simple tasks... for what it's worth.

That's all you'd need really, but if confidence is the problem I guess people could always contribute in this thread (if it's less intimidating? :unsure: )

For a start, it would help if we had a list of all animations that are added by the various mods or which have been made, preferrably with a frame snapshot since animation names might be misleading. A comprehensive list of other IE animations that aren't in Baldur's Gate II would also be helpful (this would be pretty much all PST animations, etc.)

崇高滑稽
·

#29 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Is this any use? BP Animations Scheme as setup by King Diamond.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#30 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Is this any use? BP Animations Scheme as setup by King Diamond.

This is probably also a good place to start. If it's possible, I would recommend that we keep all of the new animation slots outside of the .exe so that an indefinite number can be added and so that we aren't competing for the same space in the .exe as other mods (assuming that others have or will use it for something).

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#31 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

It's definitely possible, but I'm not sure it'd be possible for me personally.

The lists are a bit confusing, but a good place for someone to start going through them and putting together a general list with references. Ideally we should have something like [image] [game it is from] [original prefix] [is this used in a mod or not] [original animation style] [name]. With animation style I mean the general setup of the animation files (for instance IWD style animations have A1, A1E... GU, SP, WK, ... files) and whether they are paletted or not (with standard BAM colours).

崇高滑稽
·

#32 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

The lists are a bit confusing, but a good place for someone to start going through them and putting together a general list with references. Ideally we should have something like [image] [game it is from] [original prefix] [is this used in a mod or not] [original animation style] [name]. With animation style I mean the general setup of the animation files (for instance IWD style animations have A1, A1E... GU, SP, WK, ... files) and whether they are paletted or not (with standard BAM colours).

Where all do you want a table of the animations from? BG1, BG2, IWD, IWD2? Animations have been gotten from NWN too, right?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#33 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

Everything that's been done (and that's not normally in BGII) would be best. BG1 doesn't have any that aren't present in BGII as far as I remember, and IWD shares a lot.

It's easier to sort out which to add if you can see the larger pattern.

崇高滑稽
·

#34 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

Everything that's been done (and that's not normally in BGII) would be best.

The list Sam linked should have all that. It includes King Diamond's list, Galactygon's and Cuv's (NWN/PS:T) work and anything else I was aware of. I also have it in a spreadsheet if someone wants to improve it. The only update I know of is the MGO1 slot for added goblins and gnomes I listed on the previous page here. As for the animation style, most of these are IWD style I think, but that should be confirmable by cross-checking the animation BAMs with the IESDP.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#35 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Does it include things like these?

崇高滑稽
·

#36 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

OK, here is the better part of the IWD: HoW & TotL animations. I couldn't find anything that correlated the animations to their associated prefixes (or even a list of the prefixes for that matter), so I had to pull them from the IDMain.exe manually, which took a while. I haven't filled in the remaining prefixes because they seem to differ slightly from the BGII naming scheme and I was hoping that, with your intimate knowledge of the quirks behind "Female dwarves use male dwarf avatars but retain unique paperdolls. Gnomes use halfling animations for all classes except mages where they use male dwarven animations. They, too, retain unique paperdolls." type thing that you would have an easier time of figuring out who is what, Erephine. If you can fill those in while I extract the pictures and determine the palette scheme, that would save me a few hours.

A couple of notes:

The spreadsheet may not be 100% accurate, sorry. (I'm only human after all :) .)

The 4-character prefixes that have an additional [_**] only actually have .BAMs for the base prefix, so I'm guessing that there's hardcoded stuff that generates the other versions?

When getting the prefixes form the .exe, I came across UDRZ, UELM, USAR, and UVOL (for Drizzt, Elminster, Sarevok, and Volo) like there are for BG1/2 but they have no entry in ANIMATE.ids and no .BAMs, so are these unused slots or what?

Edited by Sam., 03 August 2009 - 06:07 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#37 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

Don't worry, there isn't any need to fill that out anyway because they all exist in BGII. We don't need duplicates, just the ones that aren't in Baldur's Gate II :)

You can easily tell if they're paletted or not by looking at any frame of the animation (in NI for instance). If they have the default BAM colours (grey, teal, pink, yellow, red, blue, green) they are - most IWD animations are not.

-edit:
for the sake of clarity:
Posted Image

(left: is; right: is not)

The 4-character prefixes that have an additional [_**] only actually have .BAMs for the base prefix, so I'm guessing that there's hardcoded stuff that generates the other versions?

Sort of, these are the animations that have a base animation with different palettes (but without the use of colour gradients) - the bear animation is an example with MBER using the corresponding palette bitmaps (MBER_BK.BMP, etc.)

Edited by Erephine, 02 August 2009 - 08:11 PM.

崇高滑稽
·

#38 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

Don't worry, there isn't any need to fill that out anyway because they all exist in BGII. We don't need duplicates, just the ones that aren't in Baldur's Gate II :)

I just figured that it would be nice to have a complete database, regardless of whether it is useful in this particular application or not. And since I was doing most of it anyway, why not be thorough? Hopefully someone else will find the information useful also. If you don't then I'll get around to it eventually.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#39 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

What's the difference between something like CLERIC_FEMALE_DWARF and CLERIC_FEMALE_DWARF_LOW ? They use the same set of .BAMs, right?

Edited by Sam., 03 August 2009 - 07:31 AM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#40 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

These were used by Baldur's Gate I style character animations - the _LOW animations did not make use of the extended .BAMs (e.g. A1E) but instead mirrored the normal files. This is standard in Baldur's Gate II, so there's no difference.

崇高滑稽
·